Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2019091 - 01/22/13 02:48 PM Setting up goals
90abyss Offline

Hello everyone! I've just started playing the piano since Jan first week and I'm loving it. I am going through Alfred's all in one adult book 1 as of now. I'm 22 years old and fortunately I'm at that point in my life wherein I'm totally free for the next 6 months before my college starts. Therefore I want to make the best out of it. I was hoping to wrap up all three alfred's adult books by next 6 months. Is this a doable goal or is it too far fetched and unrealizable?
How should my plan of action be? Currently I sleep/eat/breathe/dream piano as I have all the time in the world. Also I don't have a tutor because I can't afford one right now but buying books I can afford.

Also, once I'm done with Alfred's all 3 books, which level should I consider myself to be in? How long did it take you to finish up alfred's books?

Thanks.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2019439 - 01/23/13 03:30 AM Re: Setting up goals [Re: 90abyss]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
I won't say what you're doing is or isn't realistic, because I've come to learn here it's better to try things out for yourself and understand for yourself whether or not something is realistic; sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised, but more often, because of ignorance and/or ego (ego often doesn't even work on a conscious level), you'll quickly find yourself up a stream without a paddle. I'll simply say, you should work to enjoy whatever goal you aim to achieve and that you're welcome to post and inquire about specific troubles you encounter along your way, and we'll all pitch in.

Coincidentally speaking of goal-setting, this e-book on the topic was just created by a member of ours:

http://artiden.com/img/How-to-Be-Great.pdf

be sure to sign up for her free email updates and return the favor if you like what you read smile

#2019446 - 01/23/13 04:05 AM Re: Setting up goals [Re: 90abyss]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Hello and welcome!

I must say that I don't think you can go through all three of Alfred's books in 6 months. You could do it if you practiced many hours a day, but I hear that's not even advisable as the brain needs time to let the information seep in. Personally, I stayed 5 months on book 1 and 7 months on book 2, practicing about an hour a day. If you're motivated, in 6 months you can certainly do books 1 and 2, and then you'll have a good basis to decide if you want to go on with book 3 or with something different.

Enjoy the journey!

#2019496 - 01/23/13 08:08 AM Re: Setting up goals [Re: 90abyss]
floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
This is really difficult to say. I don't have any experience with the Alfred books, but I know that if you are self-teaching, your goals will always be a moving target.

Week by week your accomplishments and expectations will shift. I don't think anyone else could tell how fast/slow you would catch on. Don't rush anything, work out WHY you want to achieve that end goal, and HOW you're going to do it. It shouldn't be about "when", imo.

Then again, I'm also just a noob finding my own way wink good luck!

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

#2019552 - 01/23/13 09:47 AM Re: Setting up goals [Re: 90abyss]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Welcome to the forum. I am a novice, but I have observed more than a few folks with similar plans or lofty goals. Most of the time they don't make it. Injury is a common problem. Frustration is another. A true beginner getting through all three books in six months would be exceptional. There is a chance that you can do it, but don't be too disappointed if you are not able to.

You did not mention any prior music training. Many that are able to whip through the books had years of lessons or experience on other instruments.

The forum is a good resource. There are many threads on how to practice and what to practice. There are also lengthy threads on working through the books. Ask questions of the forum on specific areas of difficulty. Post audio and video on some of the contribution threads. There is the piano bar thread that is open all the time, and the quarterly recital that is coming up. These recordings will help you and others gauge your progress.

I suggest working at a steady pace and keeping it fun, and see where that takes you. The journey is its own reward. Take frequent breaks during each day. Do things away from the piano to help the cause, such as listening to music, using apps or computer programs to help with sight reading or theory, watching tutorial videos, taking online music history or music appreciation courses.

Be sure to rest if the body complains, because injuries sideline a good number of enthusiastic beginners.

Good luck on your piano journey.

#2019593 - 01/23/13 11:15 AM Re: Setting up goals [Re: 90abyss]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
The problem with setting a goal of "getting through" a particular book in a specific time period is that you may tend to rush in order to accomplish your goal.

If you do that, you may find that after finishing those 3 books you really can't play any of it well. Then you have to backtrack and really concentrate on playing each piece well before moving on.

You can save yourself that step by focusing on how well you can play things as opposed to how fast you can get through it.

You will find, as we all have ... that you will not be able to influence your progress by going through things fast. Learning to play takes its own time and you just have to ... as others have said ... enjoy the ride.

If you focus on playing things well, you will be fine.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D

#2019829 - 01/23/13 06:18 PM Re: Setting up goals [Re: 90abyss]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
Some good advice above.

Not every piece in the Alfred's books needs to be polished to performance standards, but you need to at least internalize the technique that's being taught.

That said, you should polish some of them. And when you think you have a piece sounding good, whether it's in the polished or not-polished category, record yourself and have a listen because just listening to yourself while you play hides a multitude of sins. smile

If you are a true beginner on piano, six months is probably not enough time to get to the early intermediate/intermediate level of Alfred Book 3, where you should be playing with some ease and confidence. It just takes time at the piano (and "sleeping on it" and not over-practicing to the point of injury, as sinophilia and Sand Tiger mention above).

Best of luck and keep us posted!

#2020998 - 01/25/13 09:09 AM Re: Setting up goals [Re: 90abyss]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
I recently stumbled on this set of four videos by Seymour Bernstein, and I feel they are EXCELLENT to view, practice and internalize. They are about 15 minutes each, and you will understand quickly that he KNOWS what he's talking about.

As was pointed out above, it is a journey, and given time and attention, rewarding beyond belief!

First Video

Second Video

Third Video

Fourth Video

Enjoy!

Forrest Halford

--------------------
current studies:
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque
Beethoven Op. 78
Bach WTC 1, C# Major (#3)

#2021011 - 01/25/13 09:34 AM Re: Setting up goals [Re: 90abyss]
CHAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ski Country of Colorado
Man plans. God laughs.

#2021047 - 01/25/13 10:46 AM Re: Setting up goals [Re: CHAS]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Originally Posted By: CHAS
Man plans. God laughs.

Well, yeah, I'll give you that!

--------------------
current studies:
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque
Beethoven Op. 78
Bach WTC 1, C# Major (#3)

#2021076 - 01/25/13 11:40 AM Re: Setting up goals [Re: 90abyss]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
woodog - thanks for those videos! I just watched the first one and I'll be back for the rest. One thing I noticed is that his speech was as careful and precise as his piano playing smile A fascinating video - thanks again.

Cathy

#2021122 - 01/25/13 01:27 PM Re: Setting up goals [Re: 90abyss]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
If you go super intense full bore like you are suggesting, I think you can go far. Three Alfred's books far, I don't know, time would tell. That is a huge goal.

If you attempt it, I would consider the following 3 points.

- Rushing to the point where you are taking short cuts and not internalizing important lessons that set a foundation for the rest of your playing years.

- Alfred burn-out. In my opinion, Alfred's is not enough. Other books such as theory, timing, and good (enjoyable) exercise books are important. If you are flying through Alfreds with little time for anything else, you may miss some of those other important books, and/or get serious Alfred's burn-out.

- Burn-out in general. I placed heavy goals on myself about a year ago, and it was fine for awhile, then became too much. The pressure of getting the goal overwhelmed the fun of learning. I burned out and quit for months. I'm back now without crazy goals, and am enjoying it, learning faster, and practicing longer than when I had that artificial goal to attain.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (Amaranth, AaronM, A Guy, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 36251, 42 invisible), 1281 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157133 Topics
2307642 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
First time purchasing an acoustic piano, need some help.
by Lockon52
08/28/14 07:14 PM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-83s Parts needed
by Jason Solis
08/28/14 06:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission