2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
It is not hatred. We just prefer the original version (and the same goes with the Moonlight video).

Nah, it's hatred. It's cool though. I understand how most classical fans get nauseous at a contemporary cover. (even if it is great) whistle

A
A
Of course Beethoven was way ahead of his time. The Gross Fugue sounds like it was written by an Shostakovich or beyond... It far exceeds what is being written in metal music today in terms of it being modern. There are people today who find it modern. And this is a bit less than 200 years before it was written. So I guess it is safe to say that Beethoven was ahead of his time. But using the moonlight sonata as example doesn't present your argument very well as pieces like it were being composed within a decade.

Schumann Carnaval, Op.9
Debussy Prelude Book 1, No.6 and No. 7
Bach WTC1 Prelude and Fugue No. 1 in C Major

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This, from the comments section...

" It's almost like Beethoven knew it was meant to be played on electric guitar before the instrument was invented."

Just brilliant eh?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The funny thing about heavy metal music (or as a friend of mine one said, stainless steel music), once you remove the distortion, it's still unbearably loud.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

It's a little known fact that Beethoven originally scored the Moonlight for electric guitar, drums and bass. Definitely ahead of his time. Unfortunately, his audiences didn't quite "get it" - so in desperation he reworked it for solo piano. Nice to hear the original version.

Last edited by carey; 01/24/13 12:16 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
B
Originally Posted by carey
It's a little known fact that Beethoven originally scored the Moonlight for electric guitar, drums and bass. Definitely ahead of his time. Unfortunately, his audiences didn't quite "get it" - so in desperation he reworked it for solo piano. Nice to hear the original version.

I thought the original scoring was for glockenspiel, ondes martenot and Hammond organ. But maybe that was for the Appassionata.....

If music be the food of love, play on!

Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by carey

I thought the original scoring was for glockenspiel, ondes martenot and Hammond organ. But maybe that was for the Appassionata.....

You're correct - definitely the "Appassionatasonata." smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
F
F
That was awesome.

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
Ralph Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I am awestruck everytime I hear Beethoven. I'm constantly making new discoveries in his music, even with pieces I've been listening to for years. I listened to the Hammerklavier today in my car and it just made me stop in the parking lot until it was done.

Also, I don't like metal music, but I thought the guy with the guitar did a pretty good job.

Do or do not. There is no try.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I'm not a metal fan but wow, nice playing and amazing tempo. Didn't know that this was possible on electric guitar. As said, this fits electric guitar amazingly well and yes I guess Beethoven would have liked it laugh. I'm a bit less convinced about the background stuff but I think the style needs 'something' there and that backdrop was okay

>The funny thing about heavy metal music (or as a friend of mine one said, stainless steel music), once you remove the distortion, it's still unbearably loud.

Huh? Just turn down your volume knob??

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Ralph
I am awestruck everytime I hear Beethoven. I'm constantly making new discoveries in his music, even with pieces I've been listening to for years. I listened to the Hammerklavier today in my car and it just made me stop in the parking lot until it was done.

Also, I don't like metal music, but I thought the guy with the guitar did a pretty good job.

More than pretty good !!!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79

>The funny thing about heavy metal music (or as a friend of mine one said, stainless steel music), once you remove the distortion, it's still unbearably loud.

I was referring to a live performance of heavy metal music. It's loud.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I lasted a little over a minute, before the total silliness of it just got to me and I had to shut it down. I've got a healthy sense of the absurd, but that's asking too much...

For fast electric guitar playing, I'd rather listen to Jeff Beck doing original stuff, or old Mahavishnu Orchestra tracks, or any number of other virtuosi of that ilk - there are lots of them, just like in classical piano. There may even be too many of them, just like classical piano.

And too, standard rock, or prog rock, cover versions of classical music are almost invariably pretty lame, musically. IMO. Oddly enough, I've actually been thinking about doing a synth/electronica version of the Prokofiev Toccata, and I kind of know in advance that if I do it, it will suck. Just because stuff like that always does.

Ralph Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
IMO. Oddly enough, I've actually been thinking about doing a synth/electronica version of the Prokofiev Toccata, and I kind of know in advance that if I do it, it will suck. Just because stuff like that always does.

That's great. Remember these guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH9kiOZ9u_k

Do or do not. There is no try.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
And too, standard rock, or prog rock, cover versions of classical music are almost invariably pretty lame, musically.

I agree 100%, and I've always been baffled by this. I like prog rock. I love Pictures at an Exhibition. Put them together, and the result is the worst of both worlds.

-J

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Originally Posted by wouter79

I was referring to a live performance of heavy metal music. It's loud.

Depends on how far away you are.. if you're in the pit, bring earplugs for sure.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission