Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 172 of 204 < 1 2 ... 170 171 172 173 174 ... 203 204 >
Topic Options
#2020216 - 01/24/13 09:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Getting the DVD with the book is the best option. You can hear what the piano is suppose to sound like and you get to see the fingering. As of now, I think the DVD is only with Level 1, you can see it here.

Now, there are several places to look for the material as pointed out previously.

1. youtube. You can hear the tune, but the dynamics and tempo are lacking in many examples. Remember, most of the examples are from novice players that post their work. Just like myself, they are without teacher and are working through it alone. Their uploads may or may not be what it should really sound like.

2. Search right here on PianoWorld.com! Do an advanced search on the Adult Beginners Forum for any song you are looking for. It has really helped me (thank you fliper!) I suggest listening to several examples.

Again, I am starting out into the forest, alone, with a piano strapped to my back. I have no idea what is out there and what trials and tribulations that lurk. I do know one thing, there is a big difference between pressing keys in the right order and making music. My goal is develop musicality.

For example, I am currently stuck on Alpine Melody (page 69). I can play it without issue. But I am having a difficult time doing so completely in piano, without quickening the tempo; and another issue is striking the keys of the D7 chord at the same time. At some point I will have to move on. But I digress...

What a weird post.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2020341 - 01/24/13 01:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: scorpio]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
I have started work in some of Alfred's Supplement books (Greatest Hits and All-Time Favorites)

In the All Time Favorites, one of my favorites was page 34 Cuddle up a Little Closer. A bit of a challange but not too bad and so very rewarding when you get the rhythm right All the youtube vids I saw/found all play and sing it much too slow IMO. Try it out.

I originally saw this in one of my mom's old books but the arrangment was beyond me at that point. Was glad to see it in this book in a simpler version

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2021134 - 01/25/13 01:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here is my rendition of Alpine Melody (page 69). This took me awhile. I do think it is a great learning piece. As someone else pointed out, experienced hands can make this tune very pretty while inexperienced hands can make it sound clunky.

Alpine Melody
https://www.box.com/s/jirp6ikvtnbnaph3j23q

#2021187 - 01/25/13 03:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
I'm officially no longer in level one. smile My teacher bumped up into level two! YAY! Good luck guys! I'll still pop in here once in awhile.

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2021193 - 01/25/13 03:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BeccaBb]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Congratulations BeccaBb!

#2021200 - 01/25/13 03:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with myself right now. LOL

Edited by BeccaBb (01/25/13 03:56 PM)

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2023983 - 01/30/13 11:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: zrtf90]
newest student Offline

Loc: Eastern PA
Originally Posted By: zrtf90
Originally Posted By: SmellsLikeABeer
I am at "The Stranger". I played it for an hour today...How do you practice? So far I have just been learning one song at a time
An hour on one piece is not efficient at the Alfred's stage; it is more efficient to develop a wide range of skills in that time.

Are you working with Alfred's exclusively? I would not. But you need to invest time in a wide range of skills each day. These include memorising something every day, reading something every day, work on mechanical skills every day and develop memorised/practised repertoire every day.

At the Alfred's level, set your kitchen-timer for 10 mins. Take the first line/phrase of your current piece.

1) Can you read the RH on it's own? Work out the notes if you can't. Repeat with the LH.

2) Can you memorise the RH in a few plays? Reduce the length, if you can't, to something you can. Repeat it 7-10 times from memory. Speed is immaterial, the brain doesn't learn the speed - it learns the muscular actions. Once learnt it can repeat those actions at many different speeds. Repeat with the LH.

3) Can you play the phrase up to tempo in RH? If not repeat the actions at a speed you can actively control about 7-10 times to get used to the stretch, leap, or whatever is making it difficult. Repeat with the LH. When you're up to the last phrase play through the whole piece, hands separately, once or twice each day.

4) If you can play the phrase each hand individually put the hands together at half speed or slower. Can you co-ordinate the fingers at that tempo? If you can't, reduce the length of the passage and the speed until you can. Repeat each fragment 7-10 times up to the end of the phrase. You might stop on the first note note of the next phrase.

5) Can you play the whole phrase, hands together, either up to tempo or at a reasonable one? If you can't, play it 7-10 times at a speed you can manage with accuracy.

Stop when your timer goes off and start again at step one the next day until that phrase is done to step 5 and then move on to the next phrase.

When you've done the phrase, move on to the next one. When you've done the last phrase, try the whole piece. You might add the discipline of memorising each phrase, hands together, first but it's not important unless you're going to use the piece for repertoire/recital.

Spending more time (that day) on one piece will not improve it significantly without sleep intervening. Think of it like physical exercise - it's not the time in the gym that builds muscle, it's the sleep that follows.

In 30 minutes you can work on three pieces. In an hour you can add scales or other technical exercise, building a memorised repertoire, read or review previous material, work on aural skills (learn a Christmas carol by ear), sing over simple chords. You learn C, F & G7 early on in Alfred's - that gives you a few simple rock songs you can try. Try early Elvis, Chuck Berry etc. for starters.

Richard,

Thank you very much for your documentation of a practice routine. These things are almost exactly what my teacher has been telling me for the past four months, but I have not taken notes....and at my age I should know better. So I have printed it out and taped it to my piano.

I am using the Alfred series almost exclusively (primarily because that is what my teacher started me with), and you mentioned that you would not. I am open to adding some new material. Bearing in mind that I am a very new student, do you have any suggestions for what I may add?

Thank you again.

Bruce

#2024285 - 01/30/13 09:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: newest student]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
What kind of music do you like?

#2024503 - 01/31/13 08:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: newest student]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted By: newest student
...Bearing in mind that I am a very new student, do you have any suggestions for what I may add?

Sort of! smile

I would want to follow a classical path up to around Intermediate level because that's the fastest and most efficient route to where you have sufficient skills for any genre you want to get into. It takes about three to five years whether you practise 30 minutes a day or two hours a day. It's not the amount of time you spend on the bench - it's the amount you concentrate while you're there and the amount of time you sleep afterwards.

Classical music is good music. Nobody studies it without developing a liking and appreciation for it; it's where all Western music springs from.

If I were starting with a teacher then method books might make for good sight-reading material and base covering. But as an adult with a teacher's guidance there's no excuse for not starting on material that teaches the learning process. Alfred's uses pieces that are learnt in hours or days. Intermediate material takes weeks and months. It demands breaking pieces down and isolating them.

Once you get beyond the beginner level learning a piece means isolating small sections of intellectually and aesthetically engaging music and working on it at the speed at which you can play it. Harder music slows you down. But at the end of it you have a piece of music you can perform and enjoy for the rest of your life.

Just last night I was working on Mozart's K.545. I started learning it over 35 years ago. I'm still working on it, still improving it and have never once got bored with it.

It doesn't matter if you take thirty seconds for a bar of music. It matters that you get it right. If you repeat it you'll get quicker at it without trying. If you repeat it often enough you will be able to play faster than you can think about it. Speed increases naturally with playing time. Trying to play faster is the fastest way to slow your progress.

Compare handwriting. Most adults want to improve their handwriting. It's theoretically easy. Pick an alphabet designed for writing (Italic) and slow down. Write at a speed at which you can control the pen. Speed will come in its own good time. But try to write faster and you lose control. And it's so hard to recover from.

For self teaching I think Alfred's combined with John Thompson's for the first two volumes is a better start than either could provide on their own. The third volume of either series is not necessary as by that time the skills will have developed enough for tackling more traditional starter material, Bach, Kuhlau, Clementi, Schumann, Tchaikovsky, Burgmüller, Bartok, et al.

Alfred's is a good solid starter with a smooth progression, filling in all the bases but it doesn't use music engaging enough to occupy an adult. Thompson's is better in it's choice of music but not necessarily in its pedagogy. Both combined is a stronger basis than either on its own. I know nothing of Faber's, Piano Adventures or Bastien's (or any other popular method). All these method books are over-fingered.

You should play from music without the finger numbers written in except where changes are required. Self-teaching books must have the fingering written in for the first time studying it (or ideally on a crib sheet at the back of the book) but not after.

Alfred's, by using easy songs, encourages playing a piece through until you get it at song speed. This, on its own, is about the worst way of learning piano music. It's fine if it's only a part of your practise regimen. Playing from the score and sight-reading are essential practise but so is memorising and practising without the score.

#2025368 - 02/01/13 03:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

MIDDLE C POSITION

Waltz Time
https://www.box.com/s/tkf73odif22ju2grsv4d

Happy Birthday to You!
https://www.box.com/s/aejlvcld6upvo948wyng

Standing in the Need of Prayer
https://www.box.com/s/hr4o7m22fzh64r18lmbk

Alouette
https://www.box.com/s/nypxe341qh8gym4gv4np

---------------

Clearly recording a piece changes the game (the red dot effect). I tried to be faithful with each one. But again, I feel that I am only gaining by recording and sharing. A bit selfish, I suppose.

I am slowing down a bit with AIO1. Mostly because I am working on supplemental material.

Things I am working on:
- keeping steady rhythm
- not to be so clunky with the hands (although I realize this takes time)
- memorizing more

I do practice quite a bit. But never more than 30 minute intervals. One thing I have noted is that I hardly, if ever, look down at the keyboard when I play. I know there is something wrong when I hear it. I assume this is a good thing.

A teacher is in my future; exactly when I do not know. It just does not work right now. The hard part is that I am confident with a teacher I would be taking off. In any case, I have been toying with the idea of using the Music Development Program as a guide. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2025407 - 02/01/13 03:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Congratulations BeccaBb!

#2027017 - 02/04/13 04:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: zrtf90]
newest student Offline

Richard, thanks for the added advice. My teacher is very proper and old school, so I am certain that there is some classical music in my future. I have begun sight reading and some memorization. But I do enjoy a wide variety of music types, so we'll see where this whole adventure leads!

Thanks again.

Bruce

#2027020 - 02/04/13 04:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: malkin]
newest student Offline

Originally Posted By: malkin
What kind of music do you like?

Well, Malkin, I sort of like all kinds of things. If I could create a synergistic solution of the abilities of Dave Brubeck, Aaron Copland, Vince Guaraldi, George Winston, and Keith Emerson, and then inject myself, I think I would be able to become the musician that I would like to be!!

Thats not too much to ask, though, is it?? LOL!!

#2027148 - 02/04/13 09:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
StaceyB Offline

I just went and bought this book today always wanted to learn to play the piano:) hopefully this will do the job hehe

Working On:
Alfred's All In One Course Level 1

#2027152 - 02/04/13 10:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: StaceyB]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome StaceyB! Enjoy it!

#2027992 - 02/06/13 10:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
StaceyB Offline

Just a quick question how long do you guys stay on one song.. Do you stay on it until its completely master where you make no mistakes and you have it memorized... Or do you move one to the next thing once your able to play it even tho there are mistakes in it.. I'm only on Jingle Bells right now like I can play through it but I do make mistakes but I'm very tired of jingle bells because I really just don't like the song lol

Working On:

#2028004 - 02/06/13 10:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: StaceyB]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Stacey!

First, I don't think you want to short cut anything. You need to take your time and slowly build the foundation. I struggle with this myself. And quite honestly I am concerned about the holes I am leaving behind. Also, this is not a race; there is no finish line.

Second, I am finding that patience is key. With each day a piece comes together and whatever I am working on improves. I keep reading that allowing your brain to rest is just as important as practicing at the piano. Don't force it, it will come.

Third, I work on several songs at a time. So in Alfred's I look at a unit and work on a few songs ahead. This way I am not banging away at the same tune over and over. Eventually it becomes counterproductive.

Fourth, I consider a song complete when I can play it smoothly/evenly, at the correct tempo, incorporating the dynamics, without mistakes. Now, there is no way my "finished" product is perfect. But when I can sit down and play the song through, without pause, I am happy with it. I encourage you to record and listen to yourself. Videotaping is probably better. I plan to start videotaping my hands so I can critique what my hands are doing (I think I have a lazy right thumb).

I encourage you to look at this post for metronome settings (bpm): metronome settings
I do not rely on the metronome, I seldom use it. But the bpm does give you an idea where you need to get the song.

I encourage anyone to correct my comments if I misspoke. And Stacey, if you have any questions as you go along, we're here!

#2028021 - 02/06/13 11:10 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
StaceyB Offline

So I take it there's no harm in going ahead a couple of pages to take a break from jungle bells and then go back to jingle bells again at the end of my practice because I'm still not happy with the way I play it yet lol

Working On:

#2028053 - 02/06/13 12:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted By: StaceyB
Just a quick question how long do you guys stay on one song.. Do you stay on it until its completely master where you make no mistakes and you have it memorized...
You don't need to memorise it.

Originally Posted By: StaceyB
Or do you move one to the next thing once your able to play it even tho there are mistakes in it
If you're making mistakes you're not able to play it! You're going too fast.

Spend ten to fifteen minutes or so each day on any pieces you're doing, two or three each day. When you can play the whole thing through without mistakes two or three times consecutively at the start of your day it's done. The speed is immaterial. If you like the song you'll play it more frequently and it will speed up without you trying. If you're not so keen on the song move on as soon as you've got it note perfect.

The important thing to learn for your future progress is just how slow you have to go to get it right. And it's slower than we all think. If you're only playing one note every two to four seconds in order to get it right - but you get it right - you've learned an exceedingly valuable lesson in how slow you need to to go.

Play the last ten or so songs you've done once or twice a week, at the weekends maybe, and you'll find the speed will gradually increase without you trying.

#2028199 - 02/06/13 03:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: scorpio]
NoteBender Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted By: scorpio
I encourage you to look at this post for metronome settings (bpm): metronome settings

Anyone have the suggested rate for Chasing the Blues Away. It is not in the list.

#2028217 - 02/06/13 04:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: NoteBender]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Looks like Chasing the Blues Away (slowly) and Blues for Wynton Marsalis (lazy) are not on the list. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. There are a few youtube videos. Seems like it's not a popular choice. Good luck!

#2028277 - 02/06/13 06:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
StaceyB Offline

Thanks for all the replys:)... Also the only book I have is alfreds all in one course level 1 any other books out there that are good for a beginner that I might want to pick up? Thanks in advance:)

Working On:

#2028305 - 02/06/13 07:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: StaceyB]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am only a couple weeks ahead of you, so I don't have the "right" answers. But I have done a lot of research in developing my curriculum (which shifts weekly). So here is what I am currently working on:

1. Alfred All-In-One is my method book. I work each unit as a unit, one group of songs. I try to really understand what is trying to be conveyed for that section. I do the hand exercises and the Hanon passages (you are not there yet). I do have the DVD to the book, and that is very helpful. I can not stress enough how recording and reviewing the finished product has helped my development. The process has forced me to look into the music much more thoroughly. My recordings are not perfect, but they are educational for me. This is my main focus.

2. For additional content I use http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/freebies.html. At this site there is free sheet music that is appropriate for our level. There are many neat little songs that help spice up the repertoire. In most cases you can download the midi or mp3 file to hear how the song is suppose to sound like. I think this is a great resource for this level.

3. I have struggled with feeling like I am not getting anywhere; questioning if I am on the correct path. So I thought about following the Music Development Program for more structure. This would allow for goal setting at each level. But after much reading I have decided, at least for now, to purchase Keith Snell's Essential Piano Repertoire Level 1. The book includes a mix of pieces, with CD, that will keep the fingers moving. We'll see how it goes, I have not received the book yet.

4. I pick up theory from Alfred's and other areas on the internet. There are many good resources (including http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Fundamentals/workbooks.html and www.youtube.com/user/musictheoryguy ).

5. The one part that I am still missing is the technical aspect. I am not sure how to fill this in without a teacher. But I am searching for the interim.

I am eager to hear what others have to suggest. Enjoy!

#2028319 - 02/06/13 07:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
StaceyB Offline

Thanks for all the info really hard not having a teacher to tell you what books to get and all that but right now just not possible to have one right now ,subs in the future.. It's really nice to have this forum and have people to talk to:)

Working On:

#2028578 - 02/07/13 07:43 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Hawabaz Offline

Loc: UK
Wow this is one long thread. Hi guys this is my first post. I have decided to take up piano after a long love affair with music. Like many I wish I had taken it up years ago. I am scared and excited at the same time to take this magnificent instrument on.

My goals? Well to play like a 5 year old (prodigy) smile I am not expecting anything just now,I guess just want to discover my potential first and then build from there. Idea is to enjoy playing for myself and others at get togethers, parties etc learning songs for friends etc to sing along with in different styles and also playing some classical tunes.

I am in love with Mozart Adante 21 and Bach Air and aiming to start with these. For now I am wondering about the following:

1. Do I start with learning a new tune?
2. Do I learn sight reading first?
3. Do I learn chords to begin with?
4. or scales?
5. or all of the above bit by bit at the same time?

I have ordered Alfred's book one after this post's recommendation. I have also got a few videos. Dummies piano etc. Do I read one book and stick with it read anything I get my hands on and practice what they suggest?

Loads of questions, I know. Part and parcel of my excitement to be embarking on this new journey. I am already using an android app to identify treble clef note positions btw.

Thanks for any replies. I look forward to spending time learning how to play and support from this forum.

#2028589 - 02/07/13 07:59 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Hawabaz]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome to Piano World Sarmed Mirza! Enjoy your musical journey.

#2028602 - 02/07/13 08:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Alfred, and I assume other piano methods as well, will take you through all four. It starts with proper posture, then explains the basics of the piano. Note reading and chords start from the beginning. Some early songs have note values written in. Each of the early tunes are there to reinforce some lesson. They may not be terribly interesting to keep playing years into the future smile

I'd just start with the book. Get a teacher if you can, but it is also possibly to start out on your own. Many on this forum do so. You can find lots of helpful posts in this very thread, as well as youtube performances of the songs in the book. As you learn the basics, you can branch out a bit to whatever you find interesting; you can delve more into music theory, pick up a book with easy songs to build more repertoire, practice chords for accompaniment.

Using that app to help learn note reading is definitely a good idea. Don't worry about the higher levels though. You don't really need to know yet what that note three ledger lines above the staff is. Just get going, and have fun!

#2028603 - 02/07/13 08:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
scorpio, for technique development you may want to have a look at the 32-study book in my signature. There is pretty much everything a beginner needs. I haven't progressed much with it because I'm obsessed with finishing Alfred's book 2 wink but many of these studies are very straightforward. Easy fingerings and easy LH patterns (at least in the first few pieces) but lots of dynamics and nuances to take care of.

#2028623 - 02/07/13 09:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: scorpio]
Hawabaz Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks Scorpio, Allard.

I wonder if sight reading really enables one to look at any written music and then be able to play it ... quite magical.

#2029259 - 02/08/13 11:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sinophilia]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

sinophilia, thank you for the book suggestion. I think this is exactly what I am looking for. I was able to read the first few pages.

One issue that I am trying to work on is playing the left hand chords softer than the right hand melody. It has been tough. On the songs I am working on now, the heavy left hand makes it all sound so muddy. Both hands want to strike the keys with the same velocity. It can be quite maddening. I am rapidly learning that its not the innate sounds of the instrument, its the quality of touch that brings out the music. All part of discovery.

Page 172 of 204 < 1 2 ... 170 171 172 173 174 ... 203 204 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Modern Jazz Pianists and Compositions
by b4ggy
10/01/14 07:07 AM
Interview with Leon Fleisher
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:27 AM
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:26 AM
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:26 AM
First sonata
by amt976
10/01/14 03:38 AM
Who's Online
80 registered (Alexancho, Alux, Al LaPorte, 36251, alexbergauer, 21 invisible), 1129 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157912 Topics
2319123 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission