Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2021423 - 01/26/13 12:03 AM Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2021434 - 01/26/13 12:48 AM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
Sounds like it was an astounding concert

#2021479 - 01/26/13 03:14 AM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
landorrano Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
The writer of this article comes off like a donkey. He just lays into the artist, and obviously doesn't understand anything. He should get a job.

#2021483 - 01/26/13 03:53 AM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: landorrano]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: landorrano
The writer of this article comes off like a donkey. He just lays into the artist, and obviously doesn't understand anything. He should get a job.

It didn't seem he laid into Lupu at all to me, though, clearly the author doesn't understand acoustics. Parts of the review were rather laughable.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2021487 - 01/26/13 04:18 AM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Stores.

"every run that has lost some definition"
"lack of ideas"
"repertory newer to him"

This article drips disdain. The critic seems like a college kid getting his kicks.

#2021571 - 01/26/13 10:20 AM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
The review is also factually incorrect. He says:

"Those discriminating men must rise from their gramophones and go hear Mr. Lupu live to be updated on the composers whose work he has never recorded. Among them are Franck and Debussy..."

In fact, Lupu has recorded BOTH Franck and Debussy. They even appear on the same album, a recording of the two composers' violin sonatas with Kyung Wha Chung.

Bad research from Mr. Woolfe, I guess.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2021603 - 01/26/13 11:22 AM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: landorrano]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Hi Stores.

"lack of ideas"
"repertory newer to him"

This article drips disdain. The critic seems like a college kid getting his kicks.

"For every run that has lost some definition there is another that has grown brighter and crisper."

"His silken take on the impromptus was so absorbing as pure sound that it was easy to be distracted from its lack of ideas."

"Mr. Lupu was more fascinating in the repertory newer to him."

#2021612 - 01/26/13 11:46 AM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm getting

>Please Log In

#2021632 - 01/26/13 12:27 PM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
I thought it was a strange review. Hard to tell if the reviewer liked it or not with the good/bad comments sometimes in the same sentence. Or maybe he liked some things and didn't like others and so it should be considered a mixed review.

I think there were some confusing statements in the review.

"For every run that has lost some definition there is another that has grown brighter and crisper."(The reviewer was so familiar with Lupu's previous recording that the could compare individual runs?)

"His silken take on the impromptus was so absorbing as pure sound that it was easy to be distracted from its lack of ideas." (Lupu's ideas or the composer's ideas? Kind of bizarre to think the reviewer could mean either since Lupu has a reputation as one the greatest Schubert interpreters and few would find the Impromptu's so weak as to be lacking in ideas))

I guess the only thing surprising about the review is that there was anything negative at all since Lupu has a reputation as a truly great pianist. Perhaps someone can find some older Carnegie Hall recital reviews. I heard him a few times there because he played on the Great Pianists series that I used to go to. But I don't remember how the reviews of his recitals were back then. I'm guessing they were extremely good.

Edited by pianoloverus (01/26/13 04:33 PM)

#2021667 - 01/26/13 01:28 PM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: BruceD]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Hi Stores.

"lack of ideas"
"repertory newer to him"

"For every run that has lost some definition there is another that has grown brighter and crisper."

"His silken take on the impromptus was so absorbing as pure sound that it was easy to be distracted from its lack of ideas."

"Mr. Lupu was more fascinating in the repertory newer to him."

"Lack of ideas" but "so absorbing as pure sound".

This is like a scene in a movie where a fashion snob says with an o' so subtle smirk to a plain jane "I just love your new hair-do, it is pure ... pure fashion."

This article drips disdain.

Edited by landorrano (01/26/13 01:30 PM)

#2021685 - 01/26/13 01:52 PM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: landorrano]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

This is like a scene in a movie where a fashion snob says with an o' so subtle smirk to a plain jane "I just love your new hair-do, it is pure ... pure fashion."

I thought the reference to 'lack of ideas' to mean the music, not the performer: ''its lack of ideas", not his lack of ideas.

#2021746 - 01/26/13 04:40 PM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
I am going to go out on a limb here, I am a bit confused what is the issue with this review. It sounds as if he is saying the concert was good?

#2021759 - 01/26/13 04:57 PM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: bennevis]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: bennevis

I thought the reference to 'lack of ideas' to mean the music, not the performer: ''its lack of ideas", not his lack of ideas.

Correct. I think at least one person needs to read the review again.

Edited by stores (01/26/13 04:57 PM)

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2021768 - 01/26/13 05:10 PM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I saw him a couple of years ago at Carnegie Hall. He played D960, slowly but faster than Richter, Appassionata and Janaceck's In the Mists. It was mesmerizing but also a bit idiosyncratic. Nonetheless, that we were in the presence of a great artist was never up for discussion. I do not recall what the reviews were but I don't recall reading a negative review, for what the latter is worth.

Edited by Andromaque (01/27/13 12:09 AM)

#2021837 - 01/26/13 07:43 PM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
kwoli Offline

Loc: New England
I was lucky to hear Radu Lupu play on Thursday and, for me, it was entrancing. 'Andromaque' is right about the mesmerizing and idiosyncratic quality... He also has an odd, still stage presence -- he doesn't seem to be there for the audience and barely acknowledged the crowd. But the sounds he created from that piano were pure magic and I thought he had an amazing sense of melodic line and shape.

I could see how the NYT review was a bit mixed. The Schubert had a few odd moments which might have been jarring to some. Mostly lovely, though. The Franck was stunning, and the Debussy was totally dreamy. I almost forgot to breathe during his encore, also Debussy I think.

The crowd seemed a little mixed too. I think most were begging for just a little more, while a puzzlingly large number were heading for the door after the Debussy Preludes. They were, awkwardly, stopped in their tracks by Lupu's lovely encore. Anyone who actually made it out the door totally missed a treat!

Another review of Lupu's performance seemed more appreciative of his gifts: [http://www.bachtrack.com/reviews/view/2165] In particular, this reviewer (David Allen) said:

"He has a unique sound, seeming to breathe with the concert hall's very air." -AND- "With Lupu, it is the sound that fascinates. He seems rarely to produce from his Steinway. Rather, the sound emanates, often in a hazy (but in no way vague) texture, and with a quietness that defies physics to spread to the back of the hall. Incredible lightness of touch is somehow married to cavernous depth of tone, with keys depressed so truly that Lupu is able to control the sound long after other pianists have given up. That emanating sound ruminates, lamenting its own transience and yet remaining seraphic. When silkiness gives way to a bear's fist of power in the instrument's lowest octaves, as in this recital's Franck, Lupu fully reveals that his command of the piano might be gossamer to the touch, but it is impregnable underneath."

This was my first time to Carnegie Hall (Sprang for a box seat! fabulous and fun!), and I definitely felt fortunate to hear Radu Lupu play on my first experience. A fascinating and beautiful evening. My ears are still happy.

#2021866 - 01/26/13 08:41 PM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: kwoli]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: kwoli

Another review of Lupu's performance seemed more appreciative of his gifts: [http://www.bachtrack.com/reviews/view/2165] In particular, this reviewer (David Allen) said:

"He has a unique sound, seeming to breathe with the concert hall's very air." -AND- "With Lupu, it is the sound that fascinates. He seems rarely to produce from his Steinway. Rather, the sound emanates, often in a hazy (but in no way vague) texture, and with a quietness that defies physics to spread to the back of the hall. Incredible lightness of touch is somehow married to cavernous depth of tone, with keys depressed so truly that Lupu is able to control the sound long after other pianists have given up. That emanating sound ruminates, lamenting its own transience and yet remaining seraphic. When silkiness gives way to a bear's fist of power in the instrument's lowest octaves, as in this recital's Franck, Lupu fully reveals that his command of the piano might be gossamer to the touch, but it is impregnable underneath."
I find that review almost hysterical in its level of BS and its lack of any real meaning.

1. What is a sound that "breathes with hall's air"?
2. What are "keys depressed so truly"?
3. "That emanating sound ruminates, lamenting its own transience and yet remaining seraphic." The reviewer needs a shovel.
4. "He seems rarely to produce from his Steinway." Is he playing a Yamaha or maybe a kazoo?

Edited by pianoloverus (01/26/13 08:43 PM)

#2021886 - 01/26/13 09:27 PM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
kwoli Offline

Loc: New England
Haha. That guy is a flowery writer to be sure. BS or descriptive -- sometimes it's a fine line.

Believe it or not, behind the florid prose, seemed to me that he captured the essence of the evening. I know it sounds funny/ridiculous to say "breathes with the hall's air" but Lupu sort of did that... He has a unique sound which I am sure I would fail to describe properly. Guess you had to be there. wink

And glad you had a laugh at least.

#2021957 - 01/27/13 02:03 AM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've read far more illuminating reviews here on the Forum, from people who really know the piano. This NYT reviewer gets too wrapped up in his elaborate prose and loses his message as a consequence. And why shouldn't Lupu sound different listening to him on speakers than live in a concert hall? Everyone should sound different when recording through mics, amplifiers, soundboards, and then played through home speakers.

#2021985 - 01/27/13 04:58 AM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: kwoli]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kwoli
I almost forgot to breathe during his encore

Lovely.

By the way, the quote from the David Allen review is lovely too. Just to split hairs, though: the use of the word "ruminate" in english is curious to european ears !

Edited by landorrano (01/27/13 05:11 AM)

#2022247 - 01/27/13 03:27 PM Re: Radu Lupu Carnegie Hall Review [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States
I feel over the last 5 years the quality of recital reviews has diminished considerably so much so that I no longer look forward to reading them as I used to. The global NY Times reviews of European concerts are much more detailed and interesting to read nut the NY edition has lapsed into mediocrity.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
4 vs 3, Practice slow or fast?
by Pover
Today at 07:24 AM
Cable Nelson Upright
by Paul678
Today at 07:12 AM
Studio monitors for a digital piano
by diegopefm
Today at 05:18 AM
Has anyone tried out wireless USB hubs for software pianos?
by Allan W.
Today at 02:34 AM
What books do you use for teaching beginners?
by Daffodil
Today at 12:54 AM
Who's Online
99 registered (albumblatter, Al LaPorte, anotherscott, 36251, 31 invisible), 1035 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157621 Topics
2315180 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission