Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2018576 - 01/21/13 07:24 PM SF Jazz Center
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
My wife and I went to the ribbon-cutting for the new SF Jazz Center at the corner of Franklin and Fell in San Francisco today. This is the first theater built specifically for jazz in the US, or maybe the world. It has a 700 seat theater, and a variety of smaller teaching and performance areas.

One of the interesting aspects of the building is that the performance spaces are visible from the street. There is a window that looks right in at the stage. The sound is very good from all over the theater.

If any of you come to San Francisco, be sure to take in a show there.

The grand opening concert with McCoy Tyner will be streamed live on NPR Music Wednesday evening.

For more information visit the SF Jazz website.

Piano & Music Accessories
#2018622 - 01/21/13 08:56 PM Re: SF Jazz Center [Re: BDB]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Thanks for this good news. McCoy Tyner and Joshua Redman in January, how awesome.
I've been waiting for this new center to open. After all, Yoshi's can't put on something amazing all the time.

#2019560 - 01/23/13 10:01 AM Re: SF Jazz Center [Re: BDB]
BDB Online   content

#2019814 - 01/23/13 05:55 PM Re: SF Jazz Center [Re: BDB]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
There was quite an extensive article on it a few weeks back in the Times. The place looks incredible! Congrats to the city of SF and surrounding areas.

After reading the article , not sure I'd be into a lot of the "artists". It sounds as if he's trying to be all things to all people ...which I understand in this day and age. I hope he's successful in his venture.

Are the pianos a mix of Steinway and Yamahas ?

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP5, CP4, Nord Piano 2
RCF TT08A & TT22A speakers

#2019940 - 01/23/13 09:26 PM Re: SF Jazz Center [Re: Dave Ferris]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
. . . After reading the article , not sure I'd be into a lot of the "artists". It sounds as if he's trying to be all things to all people ...

Actually, Dave, when I saw this thread last night, I was tempted to comment that, with McCoy Tyner being the headliner, at least they were presenting real jazz, and not some sort of hybrid off-shoot. Based on what you are writing, perhaps I got excited too soon.

Each summer I bemoan the fact that it is becoming difficult to find any jazz at any of the several "jazz festivals" here in the Northeast (and probably ay Newport, also.) The JVC Jazz Festival in the City still has a lot to offer, and then there is the one in Rochester (NY), tauted as great, receiving rave reviews, and for which half of the city turns out. It has featured such renowned greats as the Queen of Zydaco, and the Mambo Kings were another top headliner!

I feel a new thread about definitions brewing up inside me. . .

Ed

#2020067 - 01/24/13 01:56 AM Re: SF Jazz Center [Re: BDB]
BDB Online   content

Once you start narrowing the type of music that you call jazz, not only do you restrict the freedom to use other music as an influence, but you also turn jazz into a classical form, in which case it ceases to be jazz.

In any case, there is a big enough variety of music at the Center that if you decide you do not like what is playing one day, you will probably find something that suits you a day or so later.

SF Jazz has been a big influence over the years, which has affected a lot of other presenters. That has blurred the distinctions between genres, broadening the type of music available here. Organizations who presented classical music exclusively now present jazz artists. One prominent artist told me that he can play the forms of music that he wants to elsewhere because he could play it at SF Jazz. All that is to the better.

The Center has a Steinway D, and a Yamaha CFX will be arriving soon. Yamaha will supply the rest of the pianos along with it.

#2020070 - 01/24/13 02:00 AM Re: SF Jazz Center [Re: LoPresti]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: LoPresti
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
. . . After reading the article , not sure I'd be into a lot of the "artists". It sounds as if he's trying to be all things to all people ...

Actually, Dave, when I saw this thread last night, I was tempted to comment that, with McCoy Tyner being the headliner, at least they were presenting real jazz, and not some sort of hybrid off-shoot. Based on what you are writing, perhaps I got excited too soon.

Each summer I bemoan the fact that it is becoming difficult to find any jazz at any of the several "jazz festivals" here in the Northeast (and probably ay Newport, also.) The JVC Jazz Festival in the City still has a lot to offer, and then there is the one in Rochester (NY), tauted as great, receiving rave reviews, and for which half of the city turns out. It has featured such renowned greats as the Queen of Zydaco, and the Mambo Kings were another top headliner!

I feel a new thread about definitions brewing up inside me. . .

Ed

I'll just say I consider myself pretty open to a lot of different type of things, but on the other hand, I'm pretty darn picky when it comes to "jazz". I like what I like..sorry.. cool

I just read some things in the LA Times article that bothered me. I won't say specifically but if you read it and you're a long time jazz fan, I think you'll know what I'm referring to... wink

I'll see if I can dig it up....

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP5, CP4, Nord Piano 2
RCF TT08A & TT22A speakers

#2020253 - 01/24/13 10:44 AM Re: SF Jazz Center [Re: BDB]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
Once you start narrowing the type of music that you call jazz, not only do you restrict the freedom to use other music as an influence, but you also turn jazz into a classical form, in which case it ceases to be jazz.

Hi BDB,

It appears that you have just written yourself into an oxymoron. If I am “narrowing the type of music that you [ I ] call jazz”, then what are you doing when you write, “in which case it ceases to be jazz”?

Make no mistake -- I wish the sort of commitment, resources, and mind-share that went into your San Francisco jazz center project were still alive-and-well here in New York State. I am envious! I sincerely hope that the effort is successful ARTISTICALLY as well as financially. If they “sell out” their vision and name-sake of Jazz, in order to “sell out” the admission tickets -- well, they will be in good company, sadly.

#2020270 - 01/24/13 11:15 AM Re: SF Jazz Center [Re: BDB]
BDB Online   content

You call it writing into an oxymoron; I call it pointing out a contradiction.

In any case, the broad vision of jazz here has worked for 30 years. If it means that the music will change so that it no longer fits an older definition, so be it. It has happened before, and it will happen again.

#2020423 - 01/24/13 02:49 PM SF Jazz Center [Re: BDB]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes -- but -- In reference to what performances will be presented at the new Jazz venue: there is a drastic difference between a natural or organic evolution of jazz forms; and what certain promoters are calling "jazz" in order sell tickets and fill seats.

To you and to me, neither of those processes has much to do with the other. But here's the danger: If I am a complete novice to the world of jazz, and I go to a "jazz" venue where Lady GooGoo dominates the evening, I will probably come away with a cockeyed sense of what jazz is. It is sort of like Etta James several years ago at Montreaux, singing a long-over-extended rendition of "Shake Your Bootie". I believe it was wildly popular with all the "fans" who had indulged themselves a little too much, and now were enjoying a song on which they did not have to focus. If someone missed the lyrics, there was no worry - it would be repeated, more than less the exact same way, at least fifty more times.

#2021080 - 01/25/13 11:47 AM Re: SF Jazz Center [Re: BDB]
BDB Online   content

#2021503 - 01/26/13 05:37 AM Re: SF Jazz Center [Re: BDB]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Chick sounds like he was having a good time with the guitarist. "Neither of us know what we're doing," Corea said.

#2022591 - 01/28/13 02:45 AM Re: SF Jazz Center [Re: BDB]
DaveRobertsJazz Offline

I'd like to think I had an infinitesimally small part in the genesis of this facility. I briefly wrote for the All About Jazz website, and a little over a decade ago I interviewed SF Jazz Director Randall Kline.

One of the questions I asked him was whether providing jazz in an auditorium -- as all SF Jazz concerts have been -- is not as listener friendly as the more intimate confines of a club setting. He bristled -- I imagine he had heard the complaint before -- and defended the venues he presented jazz in.

Perhaps he launched this new center, which is touted as providing the excellent acoustics of an auditorium with the intimacy of a club, because he got tired of hearing questions like mine.

I'm looking forward to checking it out sometime. But I think I'll always prefer the small club atmosphere for jazz.

#2022620 - 01/28/13 04:12 AM Re: SF Jazz Center [Re: BDB]
BDB Online   content

Well, not all SF Jazz concerts have been in auditoriums. There were some early ones in the Green Room of the Veterans Memorial building, and a number of them have been at Bimbo's 365 Club. There have been shows in Grace Cathedral and other religious buildings. There have been shows in various other halls, like the Forum at Yerba Buena Center.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (A Guy, accordeur, 88 Fingers Jeff, 44 invisible), 1667 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75495 Members
42 Forums
156105 Topics
2292413 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig?
by Tony Romo
07/23/14 07:13 PM
Famous mistakes by concert pianists
by rov
07/23/14 06:40 PM
Korg Triton>midi>us
b>lightning to usb>iPad mini>Garageband

by SilentMHP
07/23/14 04:54 PM
Pianist Martin Malmgren Performing in Helsinki
by Piano World
07/23/14 04:25 PM
In need for that screaming, dirty, funky, rhodes sound
by Thomas B
07/23/14 03:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission