2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
90abyss Offline OP
OP Offline
I am just a beginner so this question may seem silly.

When you play a D7 chord (F#-C-D) say on a base clef, then do I need to play F# instead of an F every time I encounter an F until the natural sign appears?
Or does this "once sharped, always sharped" rule applies only when you play a single note and not the whole chord?

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
If the chord is "written out" in notes on the staff the sharp only applies to the particular measure it's in, and goes back to being natural in the next measure with or without a natural sign. If there *is* a natural sign in the next measure on an F it's called a "courtesy" natural - just a friendly reminder that it's now Fnat. But it would be Fnat anyway.

If you're playing a D7 from a chord chart for a lead sheet it doesn't effect anything except that particular chord, although I suppose it's not likely to have an Fnat in the melody line at the same time.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by 90abyss
Or does this "once sharped, always sharped" rule applies only when you play a single note and not the whole chord?

Your question shows that you're a little confused on the topic of key signatures and accidentals (sharps, flats, and naturals). Something is only "always sharped" if there's a sharp for a respective tone in the key signature (like how the key signature for G Major is one F Sharp). As jotur said, if you see a sharp added to a note mid-measure, then that pitch (and only that pitch - not the same pitch up or down and octave, or two, etc.) will remain sharped should the same note be encountered again, but only for the remainder of that one measure.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There`ll be situations particularly on the bass clef where you can leave out the Fsharp altogether so things don`t sound so clarty. Or one of the other notes maybe. It`s not as noticeable in the higher octaves. In my opinion.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission