Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2021809 - 01/26/13 06:29 PM Re: Another advantage of an Acoustic over a Digital. [Re: justpin]
Gigantoad Offline

Originally Posted By: justpin

Now the state of the art in DP tech are the Yam hybrids, which are very very very close. But are costly. But what is expensive today, becomes tomorrows run of the mill.

Close to what? Perfection? Close to an acoustic? To being better than an acoustic?

I'd answer all of those with a resounding "no".

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2021853 - 01/26/13 08:12 PM Re: Another advantage of an Acoustic over a Digital. [Re: bluebilly]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Digitals have another huge advantage, portability. The average American moves every seven years, though those with large pianos probably move less than the average. So add the cost of several piano moves to the cost of an acoustic. For a baby grand or decent upright that might be $500 a move.

It is interesting the bits about asking for advice. Some companies ask more than others. Perhaps Japanese companies are a bit more closed than some other cultures. I'm sure they do some marketing surveys. It may be focused mostly on collecting information from dealers, and perhaps only select dealers. Working with the dealer network would be a lot easier than dealing with piano customers all over the world that speak different languages, and have widely divergent cultural biases and preferences.

While it seems an easy thing to listen to customers, it is not so easy to execute. I remember a story about a computer gaming company that got a group of gamers to help with the next version of the game. Unfortunately, I believe the company got the wrong people for their group. They were not mainstream people. Their priorities were far removed from what I might have chosen. The game was full of clunky features that only the few fans like those in the group appreciated, and lacked a lot of things that more mainstream people might have liked. The game did not sell well.

An example of listening and getting it right, or at least close, was the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. The production team enlisted a large group of dedicated Tolkien fans and asked the group for input on many decisions, big and small. While some fans were disappointed by some decisions, overall the fan input made the movies better without alienating the casual movie watcher.

#2021864 - 01/26/13 08:37 PM Re: Another advantage of an Acoustic over a Digital. [Re: Sand Tiger]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger

It is interesting the bits about asking for advice. Some companies ask more than others. Perhaps Japanese companies are a bit more closed than some other cultures. I'm sure they do some marketing surveys. It may be focused mostly on collecting information from dealers, and perhaps only select dealers. Working with the dealer network would be a lot easier than dealing with piano customers all over the world that speak different languages, and have widely divergent cultural biases and preferences.

While it seems an easy thing to listen to customers, it is not so easy to execute. I remember a story about a computer gaming company that got a group of gamers to help with the next version of the game. Unfortunately, I believe the company got the wrong people for their group. They were not mainstream people. Their priorities were far removed from what I might have chosen. The game was full of clunky features that only the few fans like those in the group appreciated, and lacked a lot of things that more mainstream people might have liked. The game did not sell well.

An example of listening and getting it right, or at least close, was the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. The production team enlisted a large group of dedicated Tolkien fans and asked the group for input on many decisions, big and small. While some fans were disappointed by some decisions, overall the fan input made the movies better without alienating the casual movie watcher.

I have been involved in 'customer focus groups' a few times, to do with outdoor and mountaineering equipment (I'm a hiker and mountaineer, among other things..). One was for Polartec, who was launching an advertising campaign for their latest fleece. Ten of us were fed and watered, then asked for our opinions on which photo (out of three) best showed off the properties of the new material. We weren't allowed to consult with each other. The results were almost equally split 4/3/3.

A few months later, I opened a mountaineering magazine, to find a full page advertisement for Polartec's new Wind Pro fleece......with all three photos in it grin.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
UVi Grand Piano, cant get the MIDI Files help?
by JungleJim
09/22/14 06:23 PM
Sheet Music for "The Villain"
by johnbarnesiii
09/22/14 06:06 PM
measuring humidity for piano?
by pianomise
09/22/14 05:39 PM
52" Samick
by PaulBuck
09/22/14 04:56 PM
Piano Tuner Recommendation
by DancerJ
09/22/14 03:58 PM
Who's Online
136 registered (36251, alfredo capurso, AEMontoya, accordeur, 39 invisible), 1571 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76289 Members
42 Forums
157696 Topics
2316309 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission