2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 14 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 300 of 540 1 2 298 299 300 301 302 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - better luck with the next interview! and congrats on the reading progress. That's going to be so helpful!

ElleC - happy pianoversary!

Carolos....You're an Amazing EPP coordinator! Bravo!
Saranoya put on a great day for us last year and you're certainly maintaining the standard --- don't raise the bar too much please because then it's going to be a real challenge for when the event moves to Italy next year!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'm working on my first jazz piece and it's all coming together. The rhythms were very challenging to start with but I'm getting into the swing of it now.

I'm also dusting off the Moonlight Sonata 1st movement which I learned as a teenager and it's coming back nicely although there's still a way to go.

I signed up for MOYD and so far so good. Yesterday was a real close call as both work and home were very busy - I squeezed in a few minutes late at night so while it was a practice session of limited quality *or* quantity, at least the habit has been maintained.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good luck find another teacher... Nice to know about your progress.

Thanks Carlos, It's starting to surprise me how well it's going. yippie

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - better luck with the next interview! and congrats on the reading progress. That's going to be so helpful!
Yes thanks, I have the number of a different teacher, just haven't called yet.

The reading practice is surely making my learning more productive...and not just reading the notes, but all the score, rhythm, dynamics, etc. I am BTW choosing reading below what I'm studying to play but that still helps me read what I'm playing while I'm playing regardless. Thanks for the encouragement.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Ragdoll, she definitely could have said that over the phone.

@WiseBuff She probably knew I'd never show up. grin There was a time when 1/2 hr. was plenty but not now.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the thread, Barbaram.

With MOYD what is important is the commitment. The fact that you MADE time to get to the bench is huge. When I have to limit myself to a fraction of my normal time I find that focusing intensely for a short while on one small thing is very productive. Indeed, I would argue that it is sometimes more productive than my longest sessions!

Sounds like you are going to make a fast comeback to the piano. Lots of us hereabouts play mostly classical for our teachers but love to dabble in Jazz pieces too. Which jazz piece are you working on? Your own arrangement, or one from a book?

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Originally Posted by JimF
Stubbie,

Have you tried contacting the head of the music department at nearby colleges to ask they can point you toward a good classical teacher? Also, piano tuners and techs usually know all the teachers in an area, so you could get in touch with the head of the local RPT chapter..................

Jim

Follow-up: I visited the head of the music department, talked about what I was looking for, and she set me up with an adjunct teacher who has 30 yrs experience, teaches adults, and teaches classical.

I basically signed up sight-unseen with this teacher, though I had read her CV previously. There is some risk having not met the teacher in person, but (1) she came highly recommended and has good credentials (2) it's a commitment to 15 lessons (a semester), so not a big money commitment (quite inexpensive on a per lesson basis, actually) (3) I could spend months looking and interviewing and lose my nerve, so this seemed like a good place to get my feet wet.

So thank you Jim for setting in motion my AOTW/M/Y! I'm excited! grin

Follow-up No. 2: I had my first lesson today with a teacher at the community college. We started off discussing a little bit of background on the piano (didn't take long, for me smile ). She starts everyone, regardless of level (she is teaching beginner to intermediate) with beginner technical stuff. I will be practicing chromatic scales to start with (contrary and parallel motion); also pentascales (beginning with each note of the chromatic scale and including broken and blocked chords), with attention to articulation.

Then we discussed some of the books I had (Her: "How come you have so many!?" Me: Shrug. "Can't pass them up."). I suggested Essential Keyboard Repertoire Level 1, so she flipped through some pages and played something from a piece and then had me do it. That went okay. Then we moved on to something else and discussed a few things (and she demonstrated some stuff as well). She suggested a couple of pieces to practice, but encouraged me to play as many as I could.

I asked about how she decided to what level to take a piece before moving on and she said it depended. If it was something I really liked, we'd take it to performance level. If not, then we'd take what it had to teach and move along.

We didn't discuss 'how to practice.' I think I know how to do it, but it will be interesting to see if that is something she discusses explicitly.

All in all, I was happy with the way it went. I was calm and collected, which was a relief. She didn't start off by asking me to play something, which was a relief. The piano (a grand) played beautifully (can I have this, pleeeaaase?)

So I'm off and running!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll- that's the way to go! smile

Barbaram...getting into jazz is really fun. I have tried a bit and just loved it. Somehow I find it much more relaxing physically than classical in all its many forms.

Stubbie: sounds like you've got a good find. Keep us posted on how it is working out.

I had my lesson on Tuesday and for the most part was able to demonstrated I'd sorted out last week's problems. My teacher said I clearly know the notes, the fingerings and the piece as a whole and what is supposed to happen - and yet it still doesn't flow smoothly. What seems to be the problem is that I still have fingers that like to fly in the air and I'm still to slow off the mark in getting into position...... sigh. I've been trying to work on keeping my fingers "lower" and moving to new positions a bit earlier and now I feel like I'm just making a mess every time I try to work through the piece. It's really frustrating.

Edited to add: During the lesson I played the whole sonatina from start to finish. After the first movement I feld the adrenaline kick in and I really had trouble with shaking hands for the second movement. It was the first time I'd ever experienced that! How on earth do you keep that under control???

Last edited by casinitaly; 01/17/14 10:18 AM. Reason: second point added.

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Last Tuesday I had the first lesson of the year. A really nice lesson it was, but it a month after the previous one and I had a lot of time to practice during Christmas holidays.
The best part was that I did not developed bad habits in the new piece assigned in December, it's still in a very preliminary form and it needs lot of work, but no mistake to correct. It's a Beethoven's Bagatelle, actually my first Beethoven piece (I don't count the easiest Sonatina in my previous piano life) so I want to get it right.
Sometimes no bad news is good news...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Then we discussed some of the books I had (Her: "How come you have so many!?" Me: Shrug. "Can't pass them up.").

@Stubbie,

Boy that fired a synapse in my gourd. grin. I can play about 5% of the music I own. Glad to hear you found a teacher, be sure to let us know how it goes. I'm still looking.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm still to slow off the mark in getting into position...... sigh. I've been trying to work on keeping my fingers "lower" and moving to new positions a bit earlier and now I feel like I'm just making a mess every time I try to work through the piece. It's really frustrating.

Hi Cheryl,
unless it's a large jump, I find it helps to feel for positions (relative to a key,(physical key that is) with one or more fingers before I have to play them. I hope that makes sense. AFA the flying fingers, I am over that now but couldn't tell you how it came to cease. My guess is I had some tension and couldn't relax. FWIW, it was mostly my left hand that misbehaved all the time.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sometimes no bad news is good news...

thumb thumb

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
Then we discussed some of the books I had (Her: "How come you have so many!?" Me: Shrug. "Can't pass them up.").

@Stubbie,

Boy that fired a synapse in my gourd. grin. I can play about 5% of the music I own. Glad to hear you found a teacher, be sure to let us know how it goes. I'm still looking.

grin I was glad that she couldn't see the look I gave her out of the corners of my eyes. Ha! You should see the ones that wouldn't fit in the bag. I justify the number by telling myself some are for sight-reading, some are for playing now, and some are aspirational. It's all good. smile

Originally Posted by casinitaly
[quote]I had my lesson on Tuesday and for the most part was able to demonstrated I'd sorted out last week's problems. My teacher said I clearly know the notes, the fingerings and the piece as a whole and what is supposed to happen - and yet it still doesn't flow smoothly. What seems to be the problem is that I still have fingers that like to fly in the air and I'm still to slow off the mark in getting into position...... sigh. I've been trying to work on keeping my fingers "lower" and moving to new positions a bit earlier and now I feel like I'm just making a mess every time I try to work through the piece. It's really frustrating.

Edited to add: During the lesson I played the whole sonatina from start to finish. After the first movement I feld the adrenaline kick in and I really had trouble with shaking hands for the second movement. It was the first time I'd ever experienced that! How on earth do you keep that under control???

Cas, this reminds me a little bit of the "praise sandwich" someone mentioned in the teachers forum (but in a different context :)) :

--Some praise/accomplishment--you'd sorted out last week's problems;
--some things to work on: flying fingers;
--praise/accomplishment--you played through the entire sonatina (that's cool). The adrenaline rush toward the end--sounds like a form of Red Dot Disorder, or maybe Almost-Done-I'd-Better-Not-Make-a-Mistake Syndrome. grin

Torquenale: congrats on a successful return to lessons. Glad you could get plenty of practice in over the holidays.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by casinitaly
During the lesson I played the whole sonatina from start to finish. After the first movement I feld the adrenaline kick in and I really had trouble with shaking hands for the second movement. It was the first time I'd ever experienced that! How on earth do you keep that under control???

Sometimes when I am learning something and gaining a sort of proficiency the music can move me to such an extent I lose all concentration and control and have to stop. It's a good/bad feeling. For me it happens early in the development of the piece and indicates I don't have control over the piece yet.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
AOTW... My recital piece/song, or at least the little bits that I'm starting to learn, are starting to sound a little bit like music. It's difficult, but singing along makes it much easier to identify the rhythmic deficiencies.

Also, I've "decided" (subject to change, naturally) to skip Feb 15th and try for May 15th instead. This has taken a lot of the pressure off and might, paradoxically, actually make me more likely be ready in time.

Cheryl -- re: shaking hands, exposure to public performance is the best antidote I can think of. For me, just three instances of playing for total strangers in Boston (Street Pianos) did me a lot of good. You might find your teacher's kid recitals worthwhile after all?

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Comment on JimF's sage advice, copied from my sig line...

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

I'm pretty sure I've never done this. Not once.

I thought about it today. Two or three times "right" is about all my little brain can tolerate before I flit off to the next couple measures. Grrrr...

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Cheryl, congratulations for playing the whole piece in front of the teacher. Next time you won't shake. It's a really good practice for playing other people. I think we all need little bit of shaking fingers to be blessed with adrenaline surge which works like a miracle in moderation.

I just came back from my lesson. She made me play through Chopin Nocturn and Bach prelude too. Nocturne is still horrible. I can play the notes, that's all. It ain't Chopin yet. Prelude is going okay. I tend to learn Bach really quick due to very strange training I got in Japan. In Japan, first 7 or 8 years, piano teachers do not give you romantic or impressionist pieces. It's Czerny exercise, collection of sonatine and lots of Bach. This approach facilitates playing pieces up to 18 centuries but does not help me playing 19 century ones. Of course if I continued several more years, I would've progressed into 19 and 20 centuries but I did not. That's why I suck every time I play romantic period pieces. There's a huge gap my piano study and I still have a long way to go.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
One achievement - I bought Suzuki viola accompaniment book. It was great. I can practice accompaniment and its helping my husband keeping beats.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Torquenale - I agree with you - sometimes just maintaining your "balance" is the good news indeed!

Ragdoll, I think I understand what you mean. Before playing a difficult part I will practice just moving my hand - stretching out to find the right position - in effect I am trying to memorize how much I have to move. I do it several times and then play. At some point it does kick in, but sometimes when I try to go very quickly I still find I miss my position or slide off the keys. A work in progress!

Stubbie - I wish my teacher would use the praise sandwich. He tends to work in reverse...(unless I've done an outstanding job from one week to the next , which to be honest, rarely happens). Generally he starts with what was wrong - and he's very specific. He'll go over everything and when I've just about give up hope that he noticed ANY improvement at all, he'll say "It was good. Better than last week". It has taken me a long time to get used to his style but I'm learning to just hang in, listen to what went wrong, and know he'll get to any praise I've earned. I would prefer a sandwich, but this is Italy I guess I get a pizza smile

Earlofmar - Sometimes I lose concentration too - it can be because I'm so impressed with getting something I think "oh wow, "...crash! Or it can be because I remember I have to pick up milk for the next day - crash! Concentration is definitely an issue - but in the instance above it was a purely physical reaction that threw me off. Totally new experience. Very disconcerting!

TallGuy - how great that your pieces are coming together and sounding musical! That's a lovely feeling.
As for performance being the only cure for the adrenaline rush... well you are probably right. I have in fact been considering taking part in this year's recital because I need to prepare for the piano party in Lisbon. Maybe I'll organize my own little recital too. A wee piano party in my home...

As for missing the Feb recital and taking the stress out of your life...I'm all for stress reduction!

FarmGirl, thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep at it. I wonder how you get "adrenaline in moderation" though? smile You too, hang in there! --- you'll get your Chopin. I find it very interesting to hear how you studied in Japan.
It seems logical in one way - to follow musical development in chronological order - but also strange to not let students play a range of different music and learn different techniques.
I think it must be great fun for you to be accompanying your husband! Making music together, what joy!

I saw the following in a thread about how long it takes to make progress, :

Originally Posted by dmd
My suggestion would be for you to look forward to each day that you spend playing your piano and enjoy yourself. Certainly, try to build skills to the best of your ability. However, resist the temptation to measure your success by "how far" you are after a given time period. Measure your success by the fact that you are still doing it and enjoying it. Eventually, years down the road, you will realize that you have become rather skilled at it. Then, pass on your experience to someone else who is just starting and eager to learn "fast".

I think that although I have adjusted my thinking about my expectations over time, I still feel I "should be" moving ahead more quickly. This feeling is nibbling away at the pleasure I've had in playing in the past and I need to remind myself of how far I've come - without comparing myself to others, without worrying about who might think it isn't enough, without beating myself up about it... If it isn't fun and enjoyable there really isn't any point, is there?

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
That's why I suck every time I play romantic period pieces.

Hmmm... Like Brahms Intermezzo 118/2 last year?? confused

If that was sucking, my reaction is "more please!"

I was going to embed the YouTube video to prove the point (for those not familiar with your capabilities), but then noticed a warning notice there saying: "This video is unlisted. Be considerate and think twice before sharing."

So, I'll provide the recital index link instead, I hope you don't mind, to what you referred to as: a "Lame attempt" shocked

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
Page 300 of 540 1 2 298 299 300 301 302 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission