Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2022124 - 01/27/13 11:02 AM Re: Anyone tried hypnosis to improve piano playing? [Re: fizikisto]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
When I read your original question, my first - flippant - answer was “I thought that’s what Hanon was for!” That aside, Tai Chi is great for improving focus & kinesthetic sense, so it likely would carry over into piano playing. It's relatively cheap to learn, & easy to practice on your own once you've learned a series of movements.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2022138 - 01/27/13 11:27 AM Re: Anyone tried hypnosis to improve piano playing? [Re: joyoussong]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted By: joyoussong
. . ., Tai Chi is great for improving focus & kinesthetic sense, so it likely would carry over into piano playing. It's relatively cheap to learn, & easy to practice on your own once you've learned a series of movements.
On that note I highly recommend Feldenkrais "Awareness Through Movement".

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#2022216 - 01/27/13 02:14 PM Re: Anyone tried hypnosis to improve piano playing? [Re: wouter79]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: wouter79
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

Maybe I should get into hypnosis as a second career - just for cash. I know it is not the same as being a bit psychic, but I could learn the craft.

Wow, being psychic is even better, what?? Just one time predict and get the winning lottery ticket, sounds even better than $25k per session wink

I could never go to a psychic who hadn't won the lottery at least twice. (Once could be luck.) If they win twice, or more, then I really want to be their friend.. and get in their next lottery pool.

#2022320 - 01/27/13 06:16 PM Re: Anyone tried hypnosis to improve piano playing? [Re: Derulux]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
There is (or was?) a program called "The One" here where famous (?) psychics are put to the test. I stopped watching after a couple of times because most of them got so much wrong that you really had to wonder if it was luck when they got it right (it think it was). None of them has won the lottery.
I would never go to a psychic, but hypnosis to overcome insecurity and fears (in general) could be interesting if done professionally. Unfortunately I am not ready to pay 25,000 for an hour though... I'd rather try to overcome my fears myself, even if it takes longer. There is also more satisfaction in doing it myself.

Music is my best friend.

#2022327 - 01/27/13 06:31 PM Re: Anyone tried hypnosis to improve piano playing? [Re: ChopinAddict]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

There is (or was?) a program called "The One" here where famous (?) psychics are put to the test. I stopped watching after a couple of times because most of them got so much wrong that you really had to wonder if it was luck when they got it right (it think it was). None of them has won the lottery.
I would never go to a psychic, but hypnosis to overcome insecurity and fears (in general) could be interesting if done professionally. Unfortunately I am not ready to pay 25,000 for an hour though... I'd rather try to overcome my fears myself, even if it takes longer. There is also more satisfaction in doing it myself.

There are a couple ways psychics "get it right." The first is camera trickery.. meaning they perform psychic feats they way Criss Angel does certain card tricks. You walk around asking people until you get it right. Then, you edit out all the bad takes.

The second is by paying actors to stand in for "random civilians".

The third is very similar to sleight of hand, except we'd probably call it sleight of face. They read very subtle facial expressions (pupil dilation, for instance) as a method of determining if what they are saying is resonating with you, and whether that resounding image in your head is "true" or "false". (Similar to a lie detector test.) Then, they simply steer the conversation in ways that ring "true".

Since you mention you're not willing to pay $25,000 an hour, I'll cut you a deal. How much can you spend? Is $15,000 an hour okay? wink

#2022333 - 01/27/13 06:43 PM Re: Anyone tried hypnosis to improve piano playing? [Re: Derulux]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

No more than $30 - satisfaction guaranteed of course! grin

Music is my best friend.

#2022361 - 01/27/13 07:23 PM Re: Anyone tried hypnosis to improve piano playing? [Re: ChopinAddict]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

If you can guarantee satisfaction, you should up the price! cool

#2022370 - 01/27/13 07:45 PM Re: Anyone tried hypnosis to improve piano playing? [Re: Derulux]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux

I am willing to pay $30 satisfaction guaranteed. I still have to think about how much I would charge. I guess I must try to be competitive, so less than $25,000 at any rate. wink

Music is my best friend.

#2022438 - 01/27/13 09:33 PM Re: Anyone tried hypnosis to improve piano playing? [Re: ChopinAddict]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux

I am willing to pay $30 satisfaction guaranteed. I still have to think about how much I would charge. I guess I must try to be competitive, so less than $25,000 at any rate. wink

Ah, in that case, as a psychic, who knows the future, I am afraid I cannot promise anything. smirk

#2022496 - 01/27/13 10:54 PM Re: Anyone tried hypnosis to improve piano playing? [Re: piano_deb]
zillybug Offline

Loc: USA
Hi piano Deb,
I am sure you are right about that performance anxiety related to piano due to my college experience that last year. I don't regret studying piano in college as I had some wonderful teachers and experiences. I did not mention that my other major that I did complete was psychology and then I later got a Masters in social work. I actually am a mental health professional. I have tried using the cognitive therapy that I often use with clients but it does not work on this. I feel that it is more at the unconscious level and that is why I think hypnosis might help. When I went back to taking lessons two years ago and my teacher wanted me to play in the adult recital after 4 months, I kept trying to tell him I couldn't do it but he kept telling me I could. Of course since I'm an adult I could have just refused. I thought to myself- you counsel people and sometimes about fears and anxiety, it's time you faced your own. I am glad I did it although I was very nervous. I also have training in progressive relaxation, visualization, and guided imagery and also use that with clients and myself. I have since then played and it's getting a little easier but it still is not something that I enjoy. Actually, my best experience was at Summer Keys last summer. It was just so beautiful and relaxing up there. I also went the first session in June so there were only a few of us there and the performance on Friday was very informal so that helped. I plan on going back this year with a friend the last week in June. I'm not brave enough yet to go later in the summer when I hear the church is full during the performances.

#2023301 - 01/29/13 07:11 AM Re: Anyone tried hypnosis to improve piano playing? [Re: fizikisto]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
Well, zillybug, it sounds like the use of hypnosis/therapy for performance anxiety would be (already is) a very good fit for you. I'm glad to hear that you've taken advantage of recent opportunities to play for others, and that you're becoming more comfortable with it even if it's not a favorite activity. I say keep hammering away at that performance anxiety, using all the tools and methodologies at your disposal. smile

#2133960 - 08/16/13 05:12 PM Re: Anyone tried hypnosis to improve piano playing? [Re: fizikisto]
eurythmylin Offline

Loc: El Cerrito, CA
After having my own anxiety about playing and then being trained thoroughly by the Milton H. Erickson, M.D. Institute in therapeutic and medical hypnosis, I definitely discovered it is highly beneficial and helpful. I even made an audio file available to musicians to help them. It's broadly made so that it can be used to address a number of musical growth goals or challenges.

You can see it here: http://musiciansandmorehypnosis.fluidpiano.com/

Feel free to write me if you want to know more about it in advance.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
149 registered (ABC Vermonter, Acevle, ajames, anotherscott, Arizona Sage, 41 invisible), 1660 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156313 Topics
2295715 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano software without sheet music
by OneSixty
07/31/14 06:05 PM
Transcribing Music
by Tigero
07/31/14 05:31 PM
Yamaha P-105 or the Casio PRIVIA px-135?
by Acevle
07/31/14 05:30 PM
Another reason to love the MP11
by Markarian
07/31/14 03:57 PM
Digital Piano for a Musical
by well23
07/31/14 03:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission