Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2020898 - 01/25/13 04:28 AM Newbie ..
Apples Offline

Loc: Uk
Hello newbie here,
After many yrs of wanting to learn but had never even stood near a piano, let alone understand any notes, I have finally brought my first piano and in my late 20's am going to achieve this this dream of mine.
I have yet to start with a piano teacher as I wanted to at least know some basic piano " playing" not the one finger note hitting :0). Though finding one is another matter, must be hiding in my area, or heard me try and play
So roll out the free and second hand bks ie John w schaum etc.. Type bks, I in my limited and very novice experiance think I'm slowly getting the hang of it managed to work through the above author bk a+ & a about to go on bk b, but I've noticed everyone talks about scales, in all the bks I have (15), scales seem to be pushed to the back, should I google & learn as heard it improves fingering & playing...???

Any handy tips, ideas, practices...( You get the idea:0) ) that u can offer me would be great.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2020940 - 01/25/13 06:26 AM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Apples]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Hello Apples. I find the Alfred's piano book very good. I am a beginner also and have a teacher- if you look online and type in piano teacher and then your town you should find details of teachers. In addition your local music shop should have an ads board.

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2020961 - 01/25/13 07:41 AM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Apples]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Apples
Hello newbie here,
After many yrs of wanting to learn but had never even stood near a piano, let alone understand any notes, I have finally brought my first piano and in my late 20's am going to achieve this this dream of mine.
I have yet to start with a piano teacher as I wanted to at least know some basic piano " playing" not the one finger note hitting :0). Though finding one is another matter, must be hiding in my area, or heard me try and play
So roll out the free and second hand bks ie John w schaum etc.. Type bks, I in my limited and very novice experiance think I'm slowly getting the hang of it managed to work through the above author bk a+ & a about to go on bk b, but I've noticed everyone talks about scales, in all the bks I have (15), scales seem to be pushed to the back, should I google & learn as heard it improves fingering & playing...???

Any handy tips, ideas, practices...( You get the idea:0) ) that u can offer me would be great.

The best advice you will get is to get a teacher as soon as possible if you can afford it.

The beginning is the time when a teacher can be the most valuable. That is when you are beginning to lay the groundwork for this journey you are about to embark upon.

As far as when to begin scales ... I would also leave that to a teacher.

If you are using a particular book, do what the book says to do in the order it comes and strive to do it well.

Play each exercise carefully and at a speed that you can handle without making mistakes.

Good Luck

Edited by dmd (01/25/13 07:45 AM)

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2020979 - 01/25/13 08:30 AM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Apples]
Artur Gajewski Offline

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
I would highly recommend to start out with Jaak Sikk's excellent online video tutorial, first month for free and then 11 months for just 38 USD per month.

http://playingpianoblog.com/learn-to-play-the-piano

You definately want to learn to read sheet music, I have created a free PDF cheat sheet you can print out and place on your piano to read the notes from.

http://www.arturgajewski.com/piano/Notes.pdf

Also as other have said, you should get a piano teacher but I believe these resources should get you started fairly well.

Author of Piano Lessons Package for Synthesia & Child's Piano Play

#2021064 - 01/25/13 11:13 AM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Apples]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
. . .
I have yet to start with a piano teacher as I wanted to at least know some basic piano " playing" not the one finger note hitting :0). Though finding one is another matter, must be hiding in my area, or heard me try and play.
. . .

What you're saying is equivalent to:

. . . "I'll start school after I teach myself how to read."

The earlier you find a teacher, the better your playing will be, and the faster you'll progress.

. Charles

#2021149 - 01/25/13 02:18 PM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Apples]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
and the less mistakes and bad habits you'll in-grain! smile

#2021191 - 01/25/13 03:47 PM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Apples]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Well done for joining us in our passion!

Id recommend a teacher too.... depends where you want to go with this....

At the beginning, if your not taught proper legato, posture and habits to avoid such as not playing through mistakes... youll ingrain the weaknesses into your playing because you wont know any better...

Youll make quicker progress if you skirt over being thorough.. ( which is fine btw, but just be aware....)

Im years down the road and loving my current teacher going through the nuts and bolts of proper playing with me.... but if i hadnt learnt the sloppy tecnique first i wouldnt be correcting it now....

Edited by UK Paul UK (01/25/13 03:50 PM)

#2021364 - 01/25/13 08:38 PM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Apples]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I think teachers like to start off with abject beginners better than they like dealing with the ragtag collection of bad habits they see with some of us!

#2021992 - 01/27/13 05:27 AM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Apples]
Apples Offline

Thanks all for your comments, and I will check out the websites that people have posted, thank you for that.

In regards to teachers I have looked in the only local music store, they don't know any one that's not under 30 min drive, though the Person who tuned my piano knows a few ppl And am currently awaiting for the details. Fingers crossed x.

I was only trying to make a start while looking for a teacher, I didn't know it was a big no, I will close the lid and put my hands in pocket till I start my lessons. :0).

#2022007 - 01/27/13 06:35 AM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Charles Cohen]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Agreed I found my progress to jump in leaps and bounds when I got a teacher.

Although I still suck for the most part, I did not even realise I was making many of the mistakes I did.

#2022008 - 01/27/13 06:38 AM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Apples]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Have a look on the piano tuners webby.

It is where I found mine.

Anyway choose your teacher carefully. I change teacher more often than I change my underpants.

Interview them carefully, tell them what you want. Detailed specific objectives. My current teacher was introduced by my old teacher who retired on health grounds.

She spoke to me for over an hour on the phone about what I wanted and where I wanted to be.

I am happy with this teacher.

As said I had a Russian teacher who was harsh and unsupportive and I swear she'd whack me over the fingers with her wooden ruler if she could. But she was really really really heavily Hanon based. Although she gets results and a number of her learners are grade 2s and 3s after a short time. Its not how I learn at all.

#2022139 - 01/27/13 11:28 AM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Apples]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
. . .

I was only trying to make a start while looking for a teacher, I didn't know it was a big no, I will close the lid and put my hands in pocket till I start my lessons. :0).

I don't know if I'd stop playing altogether. There's a mutually-supportive, back-and-forth between "theory" and "playing".

You can certainly be learning theory -- the staff, note durations, scale structure, chord structure. That material makes a lot more sense if you're at the piano, trying things out.

As the previous post points out, learning styles are different, person to person. You'll find out what (and who) works best.

There _are_ "teach yourself piano" methods, and some people learn from them. But teachers are really, really helpful.

. Charles

#2022193 - 01/27/13 01:19 PM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Apples]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
And ... don't forget SKYPE. You can now find very good personal, one-on-one instruction over the internet.

Edited by dmd (01/27/13 01:20 PM)

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2022398 - 01/27/13 08:36 PM Re: Newbie .. [Re: dmd]
BillTheSlink Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: dmd
And ... don't forget SKYPE. You can now find very good personal, one-on-one instruction over the internet.

+1 on this. Ask in the piano teacher's forum and see who is doing Skype and then interview a few (over Skype).

I am disabled and currently can't afford a teacher because I am awaiting a Social Security decision, but as soon as I get it I am getting a teacher and it will likely be a Skype teachers since travel and such is a big deal for me. You can also look overseas for a Skype teacher where a dollar goes further. This helps them and you. They get more money then they could at home and you get a teacher cheaper than you could at home. I have two friends doing Skype. One with a studio in New York called onQ and the other has a teacher in Greece. Both are good according to my friends, but for instance the teacher in Greece is 1/2 the cost of an American teacher but she is not accepting new students at the moment. She is booked full.

Edited by BillTheSlink (01/27/13 08:38 PM)
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

#2022418 - 01/27/13 09:05 PM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Apples]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
No need to close the lid on your piano. It's not a big no-no to start without a teacher, as long as you have something to help you get started (like your Alfred's book). But it is best to have a teacher as soon as you can.

When looking for teachers, you can ask for a free "sample" lesson, and you should be very upfront about what you want from lessons. Some people want a traditional piano education with lots of theory and a focus on classical music. Others want to focus on jazz, or improvisation, or just how to pick up songs by ear ... The point is, whatever your pianistic/musical dream is, share it with potential teachers until you find one who has experience teaching what you want to learn.

Also, you will probably be best with someone who has experience teaching adult beginners, as it can be very different from teaching children.

I hope this helps -- and good luck on your musical journey!

#2022629 - 01/28/13 04:34 AM Re: Newbie .. [Re: Apples]
Apples Offline

I will def keep on at the theory, as it will help in the long term, I've not even thought about using the net for lessons, If I can't find a suitable teacher I may consider that route, but I feel having someone actually there to push me would work better for myself.

Charles Cohen you mentioned cord structure, do you mean learn all groups & how played? Major, minor, seventh, minor seventh, augmented & diminished? Sorry if I soun totally clueless but as new to music I really am :0).

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
UVi Grand Piano, cant get the MIDI Files help?
by JungleJim
31 minutes 53 seconds ago
Sheet Music for "The Villain"
by johnbarnesiii
48 minutes 43 seconds ago
measuring humidity for piano?
by pianomise
Today at 05:39 PM
52" Samick
by PaulBuck
Today at 04:56 PM
Piano Tuner Recommendation
by DancerJ
Today at 03:58 PM
Who's Online
126 registered (36251, alfredo capurso, AEMontoya, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1551 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157696 Topics
2316310 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission