2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1254627 08/23/09 02:32 PM
J
JBeck Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I love the sound of Elton's Yamaha, but everytime I try a Yamaha in a store, it just doesn't sound like his... take a quick look at the beginning of this video to really get a feel of the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCNqIBpO2ho

Could anyone with better ears help me out and let me know what kind of "sound" is going on here, and maybe what pianos have this sound that I could get my hands on, whether it be acoustic or digital?

Thanks!

pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That piano sounded very weird, bright and digitalish. I don't like it. I've never played a Yamaha sound like that.

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JBeck
I love the sound of Elton's Yamaha, but everytime I try a Yamaha in a store, it just doesn't sound like his... take a quick look at the beginning of this video to really get a feel of the sound:

Could anyone with better ears help me out and let me know what kind of "sound" is going on here, and maybe what pianos have this sound that I could get my hands on, whether it be acoustic or digital?
Thanks!

I wouldn't know how to describe this sound except to say it's bright, and no doubt being processed/ampified/mixed (you name it) by very costly electronic equipment.
It's not exactly to my liking, and I'm pleased that my acoustic piano doesn't sound that way.
However when playing my Yamaha PF1000 digital piano, on selecting one of the 2 'Bright Piano' voices, and layering with 'Midi Grand' voice, I get a sound which is not unlike the one you refer to, but richer and warmer - especially when monitored through Grado SR80 headphones.

Currently working on:-
C Major scale (r/h only - starting with the pinkie finger)......

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Yours sincerely,
The Unicorns

(Sent from my Sinclair ZX81)..........

------------------------------

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The piano is a CFIIIS. The recording is awfully buzzy, which is a function of the miking or the record itself, not the piano.

Semipro Tech
Elton's pianos (indeed, CFIIIS's) are always special editions -- packed with equipment which helps to deliver the stage sound Sir. John requires for touring. Unplugged, off stage, they are hardly usable as pianos. But on-stage, plugged in, they do just as needed. Even the touch is customized. Each piano is named -- one famous one (now-retired) being "Diana", named for the late British Royal.

James

V
V
My piano tuner works on a lot of pianos used in studios on Nashville's Music Row. She complains that the artists and engineers want the studio pianos tuned so bright they no longer sound like pianos when played. She thinks the sound is even worse once recorded.

1902 Steinway A, Ebony Art Case

Thanks!

Dear JBeck,

If your self esteem isn't totally wrecked by the responses to your question, you are a strong person indeed. Obviously, likes and dislikes when it comes to piano sounds are very subjective. So, take heart and see if you can find that special sound that you're looking for.

Best regards,

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

J
JBeck Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Coordinator
Unplugged, off stage, they are hardly usable as pianos.

I'm curious about this... could you explain further?

L
L
Sounded great to me.....until he opened his big mouth.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Bilge
Sounded great to me.....until he opened his big mouth.

Haha! That was a good one.

He is a genious. We can't even get close to his world. I believe that kind of talent comes at a price though.

I like the sound of his 'piano' I just enjoy the sound, without having to compare it with this or that.

“Some people stay far away from the door if there’s a chance of it opening up. They hear a voice in the hall outside and hope that it just passes by.” Billy Joel

1970 Baldwin Hamilton
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I don't think it's a great sound in that video and I wonder if it sounds better when you're there. But, that said:

It sounds like there's an electronic pickup. Helpinstill pickups are electronic pickups that slide under the strings for example.

This makes the soundboard a bit less of a factor since the sound is coming from the strings directly (but the soundboard is still a factor in how the strings vibrate of course just like the body of an electric guitar is still important). They produce a thinner, but more clear, cutting sound than regular micing.

They sound best when used together with mics. Like in this recording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QgqRdbpA7Y&feature=channel

They cost a few hundred bucks. Helpinstill himself has some videos up you can search for that demonstrate the system.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
H
H
Even taking into account that it's a You Tube clip, in my opinion the piano sound in that Elton John performance is very poor. It almost sounds like a toy. It's odd since he obviously has the means to get a very nice piano sound in a live setting.

Here' a clip from a show that Elton produces with an acoustic piano performance by Diana Krall. Quite a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM1ZE86Y2qY

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
That's a jazz combo though and the other one's more rock. They might have to pull some of the body out of the sound in order to make it audible against the rock.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by charleslang
That's a jazz combo though and the other one's more rock. They might have to pull some of the body out of the sound in order to make it audible against the rock.

Maybe that has something to do with it because when she's playing her piano isn't against a backdrop of electric guitars and such. She's also playing in a studio as opposed to an arena or stadium.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Coordinator
Unplugged, off stage, they are hardly usable as pianos.

I'm curious about this... could you explain further?

Sure. The instruments used in pop situations like this can be so totally packed with gear that sans amps and plugs, the instrument isn't setup to sound like much. But used in the setting for which it is intended it can become an incendiary musical tool and very exciting.

James M. Steeber
Yamaha Corp. of America professional and manager for 13 years
Yamaha C3E (Midi Grand)
Yamaha CP33
Stride piano -ø- Composition -ø- Photography -ø- Marketing -ø- PR -ø- Artist Management
H
H
Not to beleaguer this too much but perhaps someone could enlighten me since I'm not an audio engineer. I understand that it might be necessary to thin out the piano sound once the rock band joins in, but the first half of the Elton John song is solo piano. Would it not be possible for the engineers to adjust the EQ so the piano sounds better at the beginning and then cross fade to a different setting as required? Am I the only one who thinks that when the piano is by itself it sounds woefully thin?

The Krall clip was recorded at the Apollo theater in a live setting so it's certainly possible to get a rich full sounding piano in front of a large audience that sounds pretty close to a studio recording. To get that sound does the microphone setup preclude the brighter, thinner sound that would fit into a rock mix?

HooDoo:
I'm not qualified to comment on Sir John's taste or direction in sound, but whatever sound is heard at his concerts is by his direction. Yamaha makes the pianos to suit, and his own crew does the voicing and technical setup. Ms. Krall is a jazz pianist whose natural setting would be piano alone, with an emphasis on the acoustic properties of piano and voice. Sir. John is a stalwart of pop/rock, and the intent is just different.

James M. Steeber
Yamaha Corp. of America professional and manager for 13 years
Yamaha C3E (Midi Grand)
Yamaha CP33
Stride piano -ø- Composition -ø- Photography -ø- Marketing -ø- PR -ø- Artist Management
H
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H

Thanks!

To me, this sounds like a digital piano. The type of tone and sustain is more similar to what I have heard on various digitals. You might try some of the more popular ones and see if any of these suit your tastes.

Hop

HG178, Roland FP-5, Casio PX 130
If you liked the sound that much Im not sure that you could customize like uim but always keep in mind a technician can voice the piano anyway you like.

Louis Bousquet
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission