Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2022551 - 01/28/13 01:04 AM Fingering Suggestion for this Passage
DkCHoPSUEY Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could give any suggestions for right hand fingering on this section of the Liszt Norma Fantasy starting where it says marcato espressivo. What I do right now is 12 35 12 35 12 35 12 35 1235 1235. 12 35 12 35 12 35 12 35 1235 1235 and so on until I get to the triads. It feels weird sometimes, so I was wondering if anyone has other ideas. To give an idea of my hand size, I can reach an 10th with my thumb and pinky. Thanks in advance for any help! smile

Edited by DkCHoPSUEY (01/28/13 01:11 AM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2022557 - 01/28/13 01:26 AM Re: Fingering Suggestion for this Passage [Re: DkCHoPSUEY]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
It's hard, but simple. grin

For the first couple of measures of the part you asked about, play each 'pair' with either 1-2 4-5 or 1-2 3-5. (Like, 1-2 4-5 on the first couple of pairs, 1-2 3-5 on the third pair, and likewise thereafter according to how the notes of each pair lay out.) For the 3rd and 4th measures, it's the reverse: 4-5 1-2 or 3-5 1-2.

What maybe makes it seem more complicated than it is: For the 3rd and 4th measures, it's slightly tricky to see what's a 'pair' -- i.e. how to group the notes in your hand and in your head. The first right hand 'chord' isn't part of a pair; it's by itself. The first pair begins on the next note. If you don't view it this way, you might think each pair leaps across a 10th, but it doesn't; the big leap comes between pairs, which isn't that bad.

#2022605 - 01/28/13 03:18 AM Re: Fingering Suggestion for this Passage [Re: DkCHoPSUEY]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I've never played this one, but it looks extremely straightforward and I think Mark hit it on the head. Play each chord the way you would as if it were a chord (and not broken), and that's almost always going to be the best way to play it as a broken chord.

Mark's advice to think of the large leaps as occurring between the chord groupings is exactly what I would have recommended in looking at this. Just be careful about doing it where notes overlap (mm3, beat 2). It can confuse your hand/brain. But for the large leaps (mm 5-6), definitely think of it that way.

#2022824 - 01/28/13 12:53 PM Re: Fingering Suggestion for this Passage [Re: DkCHoPSUEY]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
The fingering the OP is using shows a conspicuous lack of 4. Stop avoiding finger 4 and look for some opportunities to use it!
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2023202 - 01/29/13 02:13 AM Re: Fingering Suggestion for this Passage [Re: DkCHoPSUEY]
DkCHoPSUEY Offline

Loc: Chicago
Thanks so much guys! This really helped! laugh

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
90 registered (angga888, AZNpiano, BB Player, AndrewJCW, 22 invisible), 1265 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156080 Topics
2292009 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
37 minutes 57 seconds ago
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission