Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2022607 - 01/28/13 03:31 AM Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise
BennyG Offline

I’ve had my AvantGrand N1 for about half a year now. Recently I noticed a humming noise coming from it.

It is not the typical ground loop, which you get when connecting a PC, i.e. the noise does not come from the speakers or headphones and does not change when the volume of the piano is changed.

It rather comes from the inside of the piano. Now, that I’ve noticed it, I can hear it clearly even when standing in front of the piano. There is a clear difference, when the piano is switched on or off. The sound is most notably when I put my ear against the top board of the piano.

I never noticed the noise before until recently. When I asked my wife, whether she ever had the impression that the piano is humming shed said yes, but only recently. Thus I guess it is something that was not there initially, but really has appeared recently. Though, the noise is so subtle, that I’m not entirely certain. Maybe it was always there, but I just never noticed it?

My guess is that it is caused by the AC adapter, which must be somewhere inside the cabinet. I think these devices can hum and/or vibrate and some do so more than others. I think this can also appear over time, when they get “loose” inside from the vibration.

What “concerns” me a bit is whether I am oversensitive or whether I should get a technician to have a look. The noise is so subtle, that I’m not sure whether it’s worth getting one. I fear they will say, “that’s just the way it is…”.

I’m also thinking about opening up the piano myself to have a closer look where the noise comes from. Though, I don’t want to void the guarantee.

I’d be curious to know, whether other AvantGrand owners can also hear a humming noise from their instruments (e.g. when putting their ear against the top board).

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2022617 - 01/28/13 04:02 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: BennyG]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
BennyG, have you contacted the dealer and/or Yamaha distributor in your region?

If not, I would strongly recommend doing so.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2022635 - 01/28/13 05:05 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: BennyG]
zapper Offline

Tinnitus?

#2022640 - 01/28/13 05:31 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: BennyG]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

It likes what you're playing.

#2022642 - 01/28/13 05:43 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: BennyG]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
I'm guessing it's the power supply ... and since the piano is six months old it is most certainly covered under the warranty. Give the dealer a call and report back on what happens. Be sure to take some photos of the opening process of the piano for others to see.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2022963 - 01/28/13 04:49 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: 36251]
offnote Offline

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: 36251
It likes what you're playing.

That could be it ! smokin

#2086172 - 05/21/13 09:03 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: BennyG]
speedm Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Benny,

Did you resolve this issue? I'd be interested to learn.

I have a new Yamaha NU1, which also hums quietly when the power is on. Nothing that interrupts playing or hearing the piano properly, but a slight annoyance (the much cheaper digital piano it replaced was silent).

Like you I wondered if the humming noise is standard on these Yamaha's or whether something is amiss.

Apart from this quite minor niggle, it's really a wonderful piano, hum or no hum.

Mike / UK

#2086276 - 05/21/13 02:01 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: speedm]
enzo.sandrolini Offline

Loc: Europe - France
Originally Posted By: speedm

Like you I wondered if the humming noise is standard on these Yamaha's or whether something is amiss.

Apart from this quite minor niggle, it's really a wonderful piano, hum or no hum.

Mike / UK

Hello
I have a NU1, and I can tell you that I have no humming noise on mine, so it is not a standard...
And indeed, it is a wonderful instrument

#2086397 - 05/21/13 06:05 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: BennyG]
ClsscLib Online   content

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
It could be the Glenn Gould sample...

Sorry.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2086424 - 05/21/13 07:28 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: ClsscLib]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
It could be the Glenn Gould sample...

Only if it was completely tuneless, loud and incredibly annoying. The OP's hum is "subtle" so that rules out the Glenn Gould sample!

#2086890 - 05/22/13 03:47 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: enzo.sandrolini]
speedm Offline

Originally Posted By: enzo.sandrolini
Originally Posted By: speedm

Mike / UK

Hello
I have a NU1, and I can tell you that I have no humming noise on mine, so it is not a standard

Thanks for that - very helpful. So yours is completely silent when switched on? Interesting if so. Perhaps I should contact Yamaha for advice. Wonderful machine with or without Glenn Gould.

#2087096 - 05/23/13 12:09 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: BennyG]
enzo.sandrolini Offline

Loc: Europe - France
I would not say there is no noise at all
the piano is not completely quiet
but the noise is extremely faint, so faint that I can hardly hear it, and pay no attention at all to it.
For me this noise is completely normal (as it is so faint..)
What kind of noise your unit produce ? is it loud enough to disturb you ?

#2087808 - 05/24/13 07:51 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: enzo.sandrolini]
speedm Offline

Thanks for replying - I'm probably making something out of nothing. The noise on mine is discernable but faint and can't be heard over the playing.

#2089821 - 05/27/13 11:22 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: BennyG]
pianocritic Offline

Loc: Midwest
Any noise would be unacceptable to me. I would call your dealer, that is why Yamaha has a warranty. How do you like the Avant Grand and or the Nu1. I have played both and they seem like good instruments. The action on the Avant was very good for a digital piano and the samples were good as well.

#2093411 - 06/01/13 03:35 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: pianocritic]
speedm Offline

Hi,

Yes I may contact Yamaha and ask them what to expect in terms of background noise.

Apart form that minor issue it's rather magnificent.

I am not a high level pianist, so my evaluation is not robust; but the action is great (very like that on the Schimmel upright piano I have lessons on), and they've done a very nice job in lots of ways: sampling the Yamaha grand and simulating resonance across open strings; putting vibration into the pedal and positioning the speakers so that the frame vibrates as you play. It's also very nice that it looks like a piano, not like a control desk on the starship Enterprise as with so many ePianos.

And of course I can put headphones on and stop annoying the family.

#2093698 - 06/01/13 11:46 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: BennyG]
Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
My Clavinova makes a slight hum when powered on. I can't hear it when seated in a normal position. If I put my head near the back, I can hear it, just barely.

#2093743 - 06/02/13 02:55 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: BennyG]
vulpesvulpes Offline

Wouldn't worry about this. Probably a main transformer that needs a little extra isolation. Had it happen on a Clavinova years ago. Engineer will fix it in 2 seconds.
Regards,
Richard

#2093768 - 06/02/13 05:54 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: BennyG]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
This thread was started on Jan 28 and the original poster never followed up on this.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2093989 - 06/02/13 04:08 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - Humming noise [Re: vulpesvulpes]
speedm Offline

Thanks for the advice Richard (and everyone else). You think then I might want to call Yamaha and see if they can send an engineer round? Unlike the previous respondent, I can hear the hum quite easily while I am sat at the machine. THANKS again. MS

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (adanepst, accordeur, acortot, 36251, 43 invisible), 1742 Guests and 61 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153498 Topics
2249330 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
04/16/14 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
04/16/14 10:48 AM
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission