2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm working on another miniature. Are you going to create a February deposit?

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Of course WE are!

This is a community thing. I just create the thread and basically it's better that I do it, because I have the powers to edit 'forever and ever and ever and ever' in the composers forum... Otherwise anyone can do it...

And since there will be a February, there will also be a deposit! wink

R
R
Originally Posted by LoPresti
I can not believe that no one is taking this opportunity to "get even" with me. Now's your chance, Guys.

Ed

Hi Ed,
According to the guidelines, this forum is dedicated for composers and I do not consider myself as a composer. (although I have contributed here with a few simple pieces)
Therefore I feel not qualified to make judgements about professional works like your String Quartet.
Nevertheless, I found the piece athmospheric and interesting. I got associations to music on old black/white Swedish nature films I watched at school when I was a kid.

Rune

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rune E
I can not believe that no one is taking this opportunity to "get even" with me. Now's your chance, Guys.

Ed

Hi Ed,
According to the guidelines, this forum is dedicated for composers and I do not consider myself as a composer. (although I have contributed here with a few simple pieces)
Therefore I feel not qualified to make judgements about professional works like your String Quartet.

Just in case...

Rune it's exactly the opposite of what you say. Even on the first post of this thread (and the previous, since I copy pasted it), I mention this:

This is where we, the pianoworld members and composers offer our compositions free of charge to the rest of the pianoworld members!
pianoworld members and composers... Pianoworld members as well...

There's no reason to think that you're not qualified to do anything. And you shouldn't feel intimidated the least by anything you see here. It's about sharing, and discussing more than anything else.

Nevertheless, I found the piece athmospheric and interesting. I got associations to music on old black/white Swedish nature films I watched at school when I was a kid.

Rune
That's more like it! wink and I agree, the quartet has this old-ish (60s) quality, because it was composed around that time (right Ed? Or 70s...).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Has anyone here heard of SoundCloud? I just discovered it and I think it's a really cool hosting site.

R
R
[/quote]
Just in case...

Rune it's exactly the opposite of what you say. Even on the first post of this thread (and the previous, since I copy pasted it), I mention this:

This is where we, the pianoworld members and composers offer our compositions free of charge to the rest of the pianoworld members!
pianoworld members and composers... Pianoworld members as well...

[/quote]
Ok, Got it :-)
I was referring to the text on top of the "Composers Lounge" page
"Please limit this forum to discussions by composers or about composers. Of course, this is the place to ask composers questions too"

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Rune: Oh... that makes sense... I guess I didn't read the fine lines in the forums... Took them for granted and with a pinch of freedom there... but still, it's so difficult to say who is a composer and who not. I mean Becca just started out, and this was her op. 2. Yet she deserves every right to post here, to post comments and wonder what pencil she should use (which got a fair share of replies... :)).

Joel: Yup I know about it, but in general, with 3 websites under my belt I prefer uploading my stuff to my own site! I do have a soundcloud account, but it's limited to my computer games tunes, rather than anything else...

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

Hi Ed . . . Therefore I feel not qualified to make judgements about professional works like your String Quartet.

Hi Rune

Thank you for giving my work a good listen, and for your very generous evaluation of how I used to work. I certainly do not consider this a professional-level work, although one might cite it as an example of what a few of us amateur composers were writing thirty-some years ago.

Inspiration! I am trying to remember . . . I may have had my eyes on a nice Swedish girl at that time - a Swedish Nature Girl, as it were. I may even have taken her to the movies . . .

More likely: At that time, I was listening to a lot of Bartok, Shostakovich, and William Schuman string music, so think 80-90 years ago. Not Neilson, but perhaps those are where your Swedish film writers also got THEIR inspiration?

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
R
R
Not Neilson, but perhaps those are where your Swedish film writers also got THEIR inspiration?

Ed

Are you referring to the Danish composer Carl Nielsen?
I listened to some String Quartets by Swedish composers at YouTube but most of them have a more romantic touch
My closest find was Hilding Rosenberg (1892-1985)
String Quartet No. 12
Sorry moderator for going off topic

Rune

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ed, I really like your string piece. The beginning is just beautiful and kind of haunting. The second part was just messy (not in a bad way more like watching someone go down in a wreck in slow motion.. imagine it with a movie playing.. it fits perfectly.)

Very visually evoking. smile Thanks for sharing it!

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Scorpio smile It's a bit nerve wracking being so beginnerish but nice to have friendly people helping and encouraging. smile

Rune I figure if I count then you count! lol smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hello everyone. This is my second composition.

Miniature in D-flat major

B
B
JoelW, that is a really great little piece! As fascinating as it is charming.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks. smile

R
R
Joel,
I listened to both your pieces and they got me in a good mood!
Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to Miniature #.3

Rune

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joel,

I already know about this miniature, but I think that posting in public is better... wink

I think that this is a marvelous little miniature. It's great, because you said what you have to say in less than a minute, and you're done with it! It's a miniature that's not missing anything. Your music language works great and so does the melodic fragments here and there! wink very well done mate!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks you guys. That means a lot.

R
R
Joel,

Rune

As a counterbalance ;-) I am re-posting a sentimental piece, composed a long time ago. The news is that I managed to make a score for it in MuseScore. (note by note!)
With my limited knowledge, I´m sure there´s a lot of errors. I would highly appreciate criticism.
Interestingly enough, It was possible to save the score as a XML file, which means that I can open it in my trial version of Sibelius. No changes can be saved though, as the trial period has expired.
Pdf. score
XML file
Sound file

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Joel,

Rune

As a counterbalance ;-) I am re-posting a sentimental piece, composed a long time ago. The news is that I managed to make a score for it in MuseScore. (note by note!)
With my limited knowledge, I´m sure there´s a lot of errors. I would highly appreciate criticism.
Interestingly enough, It was possible to save the score as a XML file, which means that I can open it in my trial version of Sibelius. No changes can be saved though, as the trial period has expired.
Pdf. score
XML file
Sound file

This is a nice piece. I enjoyed the choice of chords. The first theme and its repeat has a nice progression. At one point it even reminds me of Chopin's first prelude. Good job overall.

What is this talk about errors? It is YOUR piece, no?

Last edited by JoelW; 01/28/13 05:57 AM. Reason: Nevermind! Just realized that you were talking about actual notation. (I think...)
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, he's talking about his score...

Rune, it's a very nice piece... And an interesting chord progression. If I was to offer any kind of criticism for the music, I'd say that the tempo and rhythm remains too static; but that's just me.

For the notation there are various things that I'd do in a different way, but I'm running out of time right now, so if you'll forgive me I'll offer some feedback later on tonight (Europe here)...

Thanks for sharing!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission