Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
82 registered (András Lieber, Al LaPorte, 36251, AndyJoe, Adypiano, 21 invisible), 1251 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2023383 - 01/29/13 10:55 AM Re: Spirtual pieces... [Re: SlatterFan]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: SlatterFan
Originally Posted By: debrucey
Incurably romantic? Hmmmm.
To me Ravel is all surface. Pristine, cultivated, remarkable surface, but surface nonetheless. The closest he got to romanticism was Gaspard, and that was only intended as a caricature. Of all composers I can't think of one who wore his heart on his sleeve less than Ravel.
This isn't a criticism, it's what makes him great.

Ravel might agree with you, and from what I have read he was far more interested in the craft of composing than expressing emotions. But I think much of his music tells a different story. For example, whatever his intentions were when he composed Gaspard de la Nuit, genuine romanticism is there, especially in Le somber and chilling Gibet(!) and the more menacing aspects of Scarbo. I already felt that about Ravel before I heard him play, and then his piano roll recordings confirmed it: reserved in some aspects perhaps, but still emotional.

However much Ravel denied being a romantic, and however we see things about his personality and life that confirm this, taking his music on its own terms, it is romantic and emotional and occasionally "spiritual" to some of us. I'm sure that it isn't a unique phenomenon, that some people are able to express qualities in their art that they could never reveal in the rest of their lives, giving the best of themselves and reaching beyond themselves, whether consciously or not.

This touches on a subject that has been debated on this forum a few times: whether it is beneficial, or always beneficial, to know a lot of background information about a composer's life, personality, and the circumstances surrounding the creation of their works. At times like this I wonder if it can be a hindrance. For decades last century lots of people were taught that Chopin was this frail, delicate creature who composed mostly delicate, ornamental music, and I wonder how much that stereotyping hindered people's appreciation of Chopin's art? So when I see Ravel's music described as "all surface", I wince. To me there is more to be discovered and felt in Ravel's music than that.
For me the pieces in Gaspard paint beautiful, horrifying, or scary images but contain little emotion. In all of Ravel's piano music I see little about love, sadness, desire, joy, spirituality, etc. I feel the same about almost all of Debussy's piano music. OTOH I think the piano music of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Schumann, Schubert, Brahms, Liszt, Rachmaninov, etc. is filled with depiction human emotion.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2023489 - 01/29/13 02:29 PM Re: Spirtual pieces... [Re: Mark_C]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

Oh -- this isn't also about spritetual pieces? grin

I'm sorry but if nobody else is going to speak up...you *will* be held accountable for your crimes, faerie funny though they may be.

#2023502 - 01/29/13 03:13 PM Re: Spirtual pieces... [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: beet31425
Not for me....This music is a glimpse into the perfect glittering world of the naiads and water-sprites....

Oh -- this isn't also about spritetual pieces? grin

I think sprite-ual would be easier to pronounce! grin

Music is my best friend.

#2023829 - 01/30/13 04:45 AM Re: Spirtual pieces... [Re: wr]
SlatterFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton, UK
Originally Posted By: wr
I hear most of Ravel's music as being extremely intense emotionally, but under equally extreme control.
I agree.

Originally Posted By: wr
I think it is a more interesting spiritual exercise to try to be open to the spiritual in places where you don't expect it, and maybe even in music you think is vulgar junk. Stuff that is culturally branded as being "spiritual" is, in a way, too easy (not to mention that it won't have the same effect on everyone).
Absolutely!

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
For me the pieces in Gaspard paint beautiful, horrifying, or scary images but contain little emotion. In all of Ravel's piano music I see little about love, sadness, desire, joy, spirituality, etc.
The emotion I feel in Ravel's music is closest to sadness, with some love and desire mixed in, but these tend to permeate the music in a very constrained way rather than being expressed directly, in a very different way from most other composers of that era. It is difficult to put into words, but I feel in Ravel's music yearning and loneliness, associated with feeling somewhat isolated and disconnected from life; a fascination and appreciation of the beautiful, horrific, scary, interesting, etc.; and thus an attempt to connect and no longer be isolated and lonely. Someone who is somewhat on the outside looking in. I think there is a childlike nature as well, as others have pointed out: someone who hadn't fully grown up, which contributed to the feeling of isolation and disconnection. I'm sure other composers felt some of these things too, but Ravel is the one who particularly seems to capture them in his music.

I think that part of what makes Ravel's music special is that listeners can enjoy the fascination and appreciation of the beautiful, horrific, scary, interesting, etc., and have a fine experience, with or without feeling emotion within the music.

#2028008 - 02/06/13 10:48 AM Re: Spirtual pieces... [Re: JoelW]
pianomandb95 Offline

Loc: England
I think this is pretty spiritual... But maybe in more of a religious way;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7HdQ1dRV7Q

Valentina is amazing!

Edited by pianomandb95 (02/06/13 12:04 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Problem with mothergoosetools.com website
by daniokeeper
Today at 02:33 AM
New piano student
by IWG.
Today at 01:18 AM
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
Yesterday at 09:26 PM
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159359 Topics
2340930 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission