Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2022893 - 01/28/13 02:56 PM Themes for Variations
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Here's a question for you composers. I didn't know whether to put this in Pianist Corner or here, but I think this could be interesting.

Can a theme be too good on its own to be used for variation treatment?

Of course, a good theme has to give you something to work with, but still...

I got to thinking about this as I recalled a performance I heard of Cornelius Cardew's Thalmann Variations for piano. I'd never heard it before, and I found the theme incredibly beautiful. Then the variations...not so much. I kept wanting to hear the theme again!

So today I listened online to the beginnings of a few variation sets by Mozart, Mendelssohn, Brahms (Handel Variations) and of course the Rzewski. Nice themes but not earth-shaking. Beethoven's Diabelli Variations, of course, is the prime example.

Of course, maybe that was Cardew's fault, I don't know. But I'm still captivated by that tune.

Just interested in your thoughts.

www.josephkubera.com

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2022916 - 01/28/13 03:33 PM Re: Themes for Variations [Re: RealPlayer]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Ha! Good question. I've been on both sides of this. To get analytical it matters whether you're doing variations on a chord progression (Goldberg Variations and typical of Baroque music) or a melody (pretty much all variations since). The genius of the Goldbergs is that Bach never quite lost the chord progression, but twisted and stretched it in so many ways.

When doing variations on a melody it's expected that there will be significant rhythmic and harmonic variation. The melody has to provide some recognizable points that will be recognizable when varied significantly. The alternative is the composer creates inspired variations that can be tied to the original theme after some thought but the piece as a whole hangs together. Think about Rachmaninoff's Paganini Variations, the famous 18th variation doesn't sound anything like the theme but because it's so beautiful we don't care. It's only when it's explained that the theme is inverted in that particular variation that it makes any sense.

So variations can work either way, in one case the theme is recognizable and the audience enjoys hearing the theme is different forms. In the other case the music is (hopefully) extraordinary and the relationship to the original theme is irrelevant because the music is engaging.

I feel anyone learning the craft of composition should spend a lot of time doing variations. It's a vital skill that gets used in all types of compositions. The advice I usually give is that one should write a theme and then ten variations and then throw out the first five because they are usually the most obvious treatments of the theme. Then compose ten more and that's when one has to get creative. That's when things get interesting.

To answer your question, if the variations aren't as good as the theme what's the point? Of course it was Cardew's fault.

#2022945 - 01/28/13 04:12 PM Re: Themes for Variations [Re: RealPlayer]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Joe,

A very interesting question indeed and thanks for posting it! smile

Now, first of all, I should note that composing variations is probably the most difficult task for a composer, and this is why it's usually included in all final exams for composers and why very few works on variations exist by composers... I don't think any composer has written more than 2 variations on other themes... That and because it also seems a tiny bit like cheating a bit! grin

Anyhow...

It's very interesting that very specific themes are given for variations ("La Folia", paganinni, etc...). not every theme is handy for variation treatment... For example the moonlight sonata is exactly the negative of a great theme for variations...

But to get to your question (like Steve, who take a while to reply as well...).

If the theme is too beautiful, or too recognizable, things must get out of hand (throw away the first five variations, etc... ) quickly enough. Otherwise it's an 'ouch' situation. If the theme is not beautiful, then there's no reason to vary it.

#2023164 - 01/29/13 12:33 AM Re: Themes for Variations [Re: RealPlayer]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: RealPlayer
Here's a question for you composers. . . Can a theme be too good on its own to be used for variation treatment?

Joe,

Your homework for tonight: rondo form.

Ed

#2023355 - 01/29/13 09:47 AM Re: Themes for Variations [Re: RealPlayer]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
Sorry Nikolas; Alkan laugh Joe...I really agree with your thoughts; is it not possible for there to be a *best* version of a composition and, as such, any variation upon it would be merely tarnish? Um...rondo *is* rather a good solution... laugh
Xxx

#2023727 - 01/29/13 11:02 PM Re: Themes for Variations [Re: FSO]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Thanks for all your comments. It's interesting for me because, in spite of my playing a lot of contemporary music, I'm not a composer myself and have no interest in composing. In fact, I am in awe of people who do compose. I especially like your ideas about writing the first few variations and discarding them! That sounds like a valid way of working.

If you call up the Thalmann theme (the only way, I think, is to reference the entire variations) on Youtube (or wherever) I'd be interested if you find it attractive, as I do.

www.josephkubera.com

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
150 registered (*windowlicker*, AEMontoya, A Guy, accordeur, 36 invisible), 1293 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157149 Topics
2307966 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland RD 800 Dust Cover
by BarryDMD
25 minutes 59 seconds ago
OT - Technical help for recording Silent feature to laptop
by casinitaly
Today at 05:13 PM
College Audition Repertoire for Historical Performance
by Priima
Today at 04:53 PM
theme and variations trivia question
by beet31425
Today at 04:35 PM
1950s Zimmermann
by MaxR
Today at 02:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission