2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
agree

E
E
I know there are some fine instrumentalists and conductors who are not blessed with good memories who will disagree that this is a performance deficiency

Last edited by erjamo; 01/28/13 02:56 AM.
G
G
Re: Pianoloverus

"And then there is the obvious examples of ... pianists playing contemporary music, where the score is almost always used."

Fascinating point, here.
I would maintain that no matter if it's Xenakis, Webern or whoever, if the pianist actually is able to understand the essence of the piece and take the work to heart, it's no harder to memorize than Mozart. I do not dispute that many, maybe even most, pianists who play this repertory, use the score, but because they are not able to take this sort of repertory to heart and are not sufficiently clear about what the composer is saying.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by geraldbrennan

Fascinating point, here.
I would maintain that no matter if it's Xenakis, Webern or whoever, if the pianist actually is able to understand the essence of the piece and take the work to heart, it's no harder to memorize than Mozart. I do not dispute that many, maybe even most, pianists who play this repertory, use the score, but because they are not able to take this sort of repertory to heart and are not sufficiently clear about what the composer is saying.
My guess is that not many would agree with this. Maybe Realplayer and Brendan, two PW members who perform a lot of contemporary music, will give us their thoughts about this. I cannot see how music that is generally considered more complex rhythmically and harmonically than other music would be just as easy to memorize.

I specifically remember that the American woman pianist(can't remember her name even though I've heard her twice in recitals)well known for her performances of contemporary music used the score when she played a contemporary work on her Carnegie Hall debut some time ago. I don't think many would accuse her of not being sufficiently clear about what the composer said or not taking the work to heart.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/28/13 08:04 PM.
B
B

Fascinating point, here.

In that case, you'd lump Maurizio Pollini - one of the most intellectual pianists of our time - into that category of 'not able to take this sort of repertory to heart and not sufficiently clear about what the composer is saying'. He's the only major pianist who routinely programs Stockhausen, Boulez, Nono etc in his concerts. And he always uses a score for such music. Many other pianists just talk about their enthusiasm for such music but never play it.

There is a very good reason why pianists (unless they have photographic memories) use scores for this sort of music - because there is often no clear pattern of notes (try memorizing Boulez's Sonata No.2....) or harmonic progressions to latch on to.

An analogy I can relate to is chess: I can easily remember a complicated chess position after a couple of minutes of looking at it, and reproduce it on another chessboard (as well as remember complete games that I've played recently) - as long as the position is logical, such as would occur in a normal chess game. I can also play 'blindfold' games, i.e. without sight of the board. Any good chess player can do the same. But if the position on the board is entirely random and could not possibly have occurred in a game, I'd have great difficulty if there are more than a few pieces on it - because there is no clear pattern or logic to the arrangement of the pieces. I probably wouldn't do any better than someone who can't play chess.

If music be the food of love, play on!
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I would respectfully suggest that people with great memories (who memorize without even trying) are not likely to be the best judges of whether memorization is essential to fine artistic understanding of a piece. What basis is there for comparison, in that case?

One could make the same point about those incapable of memorizing. It seems to me that the best informed would be those who have tried it both ways.

In any case, I think the amount of time and effort the memorization will take has to enter the equation. If memorization is automatic, of course it's a no-brainer, you'll memorize. But if memorization takes a lot of investment, that is time that could be put to other use. Then it becomes a question of weighing its advantages against the possible benefits of doing some other kind of practice.

1989 Baldwin R
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I perform a lot of contemporary music and always from score. I have found there has been no problem internalizing the music, and have been doing this for the past 40 years.

Recently, there's been one piece that's been giving me trouble, even reading from score, and I have begun work on memorizing it. It's something about this piece's peculiar attributes that get my fingers bolloxed up in spite of having the score there, so I'm hoping memorization will solve that. It's not something I've run into before. If you saw it you might understand. I have to record it a few months from now.

S
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
That said -- there are interesting tendencies that evolve with each of the two types. I am an example of a pianists with a great memory; I can read through a piece once and I don't need it again. BUT -- I am a terrible sight-reader, BECAUSE my memory is so good. The best sight-readers I know have poor memories. I once had a girlfriend who could play anything I gave her at sight and at speed. Once, after she sight-read a fugue from the WTC II at a nice clip, I asked her if she knew what a "fugue" was. She said she didn't know. She had a terrible memory and could not improvise to save her life, but wow, what a reader!
I don't see how one can sight read a piece with some difficulty and then have it memorized unless if one is talking about photographic memory. Presumably one hasn't sight read all the notes, rhythms, etc. correctly the first time if one is a poor sight reader, so one would be memorizing errors. I also think it's a big mistake to not use the score until one has memorized every marking in the score in addition to the notes.

I think that in general all pianistic skills(technique, musicianship, sight reading, memorizing, etc.) tend to move mostly in parallel. They are all related. Most very good pianists are very at all of them and most beginners or less talented pianists are not so good in all these areas. Of course, one can always find exceptions to the above, e.g. a pianist with great technique but poor sight reading skill or poor musicianship. But I think those are the exceptions rather than the rule.

+1, pianolover!

While it's true that people aren't all endowed with the same aptitudes, to my knowledge, no scientific study to date has ever brought to light any evidence suggesting that memorizing and sight-reading might be mutually excluding processes - and a sizeable amount of experimental research has been conducted into both abilities over the years. Current theoretical understanding of brain processes, too, doesn't offer anything that would predict that being good at the one necessarily prevents being equally good at the other - whereas it does offer explanations of why highly talented learners of skills tend to be able to develop - in parallel - all-round facility in their chosen field.

Research generally supports the widely held contention amongst musicians that sight-reading expertise results from doing a great deal of it over a very long period. Learners whose aptitudes lean towards taking in and processing external, visual information are likely to find sight-reading easier, more immediately rewarding and more of an enjoyable challenge than learners more naturally disposed to refer to internally stored information, and will tend to spend most of their practising-time working from score, to the neglect of developing competence and confidence in memorizing and retrieval skills - and vice versa as regards natural memorizers, of course.

Pedagogically speaking, the above is "old hat" and adds nothing new. Fortunately most instrumental teachers are aware of the musician's reliance upon both processes and of their vital role in ensuring learners don't neglect the weaker process in favour of the one they naturally prefer using.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

https://understanding-piano-technique.com/uptcom
Online Content
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
I perform a lot of contemporary music and always from score. I have found there has been no problem internalizing the music, and have been doing this for the past 40 years.
What do you mean by "internalizing" the music?

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
What do you mean by "internalizing" the music?

Just getting to know it pretty cold and having the image of the piece and performance in my head.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I must admit, I find it no harder (or easier) to remember Schnittke than Alkan; I've not attempted anything like Sorabji yet, so perhaps a score may lend itself with use then, but, um, I wouldn't say the heightened complexity increases the amount you need to *remember*; an incredibly complex mathematical equation could have merely a couple of letters, bear in mind.
Xx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
Online Content
Originally Posted by FSO
I wouldn't say the heightened complexity increases the amount you need to *remember*; an incredibly complex mathematical equation could have merely a couple of letters, bear in mind.
Xx
That would mean the complexity of the equation was in its ideas and not in its formulation. A different situation completely.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/29/13 06:39 PM.
S
S
Originally Posted by FSO
I wouldn't say the heightened complexity increases the amount you need to *remember*; an incredibly complex mathematical equation could have merely a couple of letters, bear in mind.
Xx
That would mean the complexity of the equation was in its ideas and not in its formulation. A different situation completely.

I take it you mean equations like e=mc2, where e encompasses any number of more specialized equations, such as K=1/2mv2 (sorry, no superscript provided for mathematical powers!)?

Am I correct? If so, I understand your point, its implications, and the immense importance of its implications. If not, please would you say more in explanation?

Thanks!

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

https://understanding-piano-technique.com/uptcom
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Scordatura
Originally Posted by FSO
Xx

I take it you mean equations like e=mc2, where e encompasses any number of more specialized equations, such as K=1/2mv2 (sorry, no superscript provided for mathematical powers!)?

Am I correct? If so, I understand your point, its implications, and the immense importance of its implications. If not, please would you say more in explanation?

Thanks!

Well...Pianoloverus...I recognise your point, but perhaps you've not quite grabbed mine...I mean, why is it easier to remember an arpeggiated chord than a sequence of notes? Because we simplify; if we did this with the more "complex" music we might find it's a bit easier...for instance, thinking in terms of synthetic chords and the like...but, um, that was behind the point; I've seen people (well, one person laugh ) perform Clair de Lune without sheet music, but Webern's Opus 27 with it...this, to me, is sheer madness; understanding why the notes are as they are makes them *so* easy to remember...um...do you see? It *is* more complex, I agree, but people seem unwilling to really delve into it and understand it quite as well...of course, this isn't true of everyone laugh But...do you see? I hope you do...I can elaborate if it's not clear...Scordatura...yes and no laugh I mean, pretty much, I just wouldn't use that example (for starters, Ke is merely the kinetic energy, not the total...I mean, um, otherwise you imply that mc^2=.5mv^2 --> c^2=.5v^2, which obviously is just gibberish, unless all velocities are root two X the speed of light laugh EDIT: Forgive my idiocy, I didn't recall the phrase "encompasses any number" before I went off into a mini-rant... laugh )...um...I meant more along the lines of, say, the integral (with respect to a) of u/v (which is [{v X du/da} - {u X dv/da}]/ v^2 ), not that that's really complex... laugh But, um, in short...yes laugh I hope this is all clear enough... shocked
Xxx

Online Content
Originally Posted by FSO
Originally Posted by FSO
Xx

Thanks!

Well...Pianoloverus...I recognise your point, but perhaps you've not quite grabbed mine...I mean, why is it easier to remember an arpeggiated chord than a sequence of notes? Because we simplify; if we did this with the more "complex" music we might find it's a bit easier...for instance, thinking in terms of synthetic chords and the like...but, um, that was behind the point; I've seen people (well, one person laugh ) perform Clair de Lune without sheet music, but Webern's Opus 27 with it...this, to me, is sheer madness; understanding why the notes are as they are makes them *so* easy to remember...um...do you see? It *is* more complex, I agree, but people seem unwilling to really delve into it and understand it quite as well...of course, this isn't true of everyone laugh But...do you see? I hope you do...I can elaborate if it's not clear...Scordatura...yes and no laugh I mean, pretty much, I just wouldn't use that example (for starters, Ke is merely the kinetic energy, not the total...I mean, um, otherwise you imply that mc^2=.5mv^2 --> c^2=.5v^2, which obviously is just gibberish, unless all velocities are root two X the speed of light laugh EDIT: Forgive my idiocy, I didn't recall the phrase "encompasses any number" before I went off into a mini-rant... laugh )...um...I meant more along the lines of, say, the integral (with respect to a) of u/v (which is [{v X du/da} - {u X dv/da}]/ v^2 ), not that that's really complex... laugh But, um, in short...yes laugh I hope this is all clear enough... shocked
Xxx
Of course, it's not clear enough.

I'd guess only 1 in 10 ever finish reading one of your posts where your non paragraphing, ums, and smileys make it incredibly unpleasant to read. If you want anyone to pay attention to anything you say you should change this and stop making excuses about not being able to do so. It's actually IMO insulting to someone trying to read one of your posts and detracts greatly from anything you are trying to say.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Wonder how people memorize Boulez's "Notation no.6", which is just a tone row then other figurations....with the left hand offset by two notes.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by FSO
Xx

Thanks!

I think what he means is something like the equations for power resonance, which only really rely on factors like the forcing frequency and natural frequency, but are incredible clunky and difficult to memorize. Other equations, such as "curve-fitting" equations used in many engineering codes, are similarly hard to memorize because of all of the fudge factors, the symbols with no physical meaning (what exactly does it mean physically to take the 1.5th root of something?), or other factors.

Applying to music, it's not only the content (notes, harmony), it's the formulation (how it's pianistically laid out), and whether or not it inherently makes intuitive sense (not so much the case for some modern music).

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
If it detracts then it detracts and the only harm is done to myself; if someone is insulted then I apologise and will offer any form of recompense with which I'm equipped. I'd say that your innumerable complaints against me and flat out refusal to accept that someone may experience life with problems you're not familiar with borders on being malicious, spiteful and unduly upsetting but, um, I know that's not the case, that you *are* just trying to help, and as such paying any credence to such notions would be disgusting...I don't *try* to be repellent; perhaps I just naturally am. Vile though I may be, I *do* have feelings which you tend to hurt. My father used to get quite tempestuously angry with me when I'd have asthma attacks as a child, not being able to accept that I couldn't just breathe normally...just a little anecdote I feel fitting.
I don't want you to be insulted or feel the insurmountable frustration you clearly do whenever I'm present. The thing is, even though this new paragraph would indicate I'd turned over a new leaf, say, we both know that as soon as I stop concentrating with the limits of my being that I'm going to go straight back to offending linguistic and aesthetic values. Um...you clearly don't have any problems you can't control as, otherwise, your brutally rhythmic assaults would strike you as hypocritical...you don't seem a hypocrite. I'm glad; it's a terrible thing to fear reprisal on a daily basis for, I'll add, not only textual problems one is powerless to assuage. I don't mind reading messages from dyslexics and the dysgraphic; maybe it's only because I can sympathise, but I'd suspect myself of being able to empathise just as well.
So...to you and all who feel similarly (hence my public rhetoric {the length of which I apologise for} as opposed to a private message), I recommend blocking me as, I will hope to say for the last time, I can't help it and I would hate to be the cause of any further misery. I don't mean to sound vindictive, intolerant, petty or anything similar, which I'm sure I do...I'm just trying to give you the honesty you feel I deny you. I'm not the most worthwhile member here by far and if my mannerisms aren't worth what little I offer I'll understand completely. I'll be sad, but understand.
Sorry to be so dramatic but this can't go on forever. I really am sorry.

Online Content
FSO -I am sorry that my last post hurt your feelings and I apologise for doing so.

My first thought after reading your latest post was...he seemed to be able to avoid most of the posting style problems (paragraphs were there, and almost no ums, and no smileys) so why not do so all the time even if it means editing these into or out of a first draft of a post? If this is possible that would be my suggestion. If not possible, then I will try to be more understanding.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/30/13 12:34 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
FSO :

For what it may - or may not - be worth to you, when I see a post filled with smileys, dots, ums, etc., all contained in one unbroken paragraph, I won't read it.

I don't feel that it's up to me to try to decipher and interpret the essence of an unconstructed string of ideas. It well may be that I miss some interesting observations, and that may perhaps be my loss, but if a poster can't respect the conventions of written communication, then I don't feel that I can give him or her my time.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission