Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2022460 - 01/27/13 09:53 PM Playing By Ear Help
NoahVail Offline

Hi everyone,

I've been playing piano for a little under a year now, and I'd like to take my learning technique in a different direction.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for playing music (mostly modern pop, rock, alternative, R&B, etc.) by ear? I've been perusing YouTube for music material to use for practice. I seem to do pretty well up until figuring the key, the melody line isn't too bad either, but I have trouble with harmonizing the whole thing.

Thanks guys.

Edited by NoahVail (01/27/13 09:55 PM)

Piano & Music Accessories
#2022665 - 01/28/13 07:37 AM Re: Playing By Ear Help [Re: NoahVail]
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: NoahVail
Hi everyone,
I seem to do pretty well up until figuring the key.

For the majority of songs, the first and last chord will be the key.

You should learn the chords for all keys around the circle of fifths (or fourths depending how you look at it)

Example the key of C chords or as followed,

C (I) - Dm (ii) - Em (iii) - F (IV) - G (V) - Am (vi) - B (dim)

Usually the most used chords in a song will be the (I) - (IV) - (V)

That's just a start and very basic, but it will allow you to harmonize the majority of songs.

#2022767 - 01/28/13 11:06 AM Re: Playing By Ear Help [Re: NoahVail]
JamesPlaysPiano Offline

What dannac said smile

I would add that, in case the first/last chord doesn't give you the key, another very strong "probably" is that the very last melody note is usually the same as the key you're in.

By the way, if you need clarification on the roman numeral thing, this might help:

http://www.betterpiano.com/archives/diatonic-triads

Also: I'd say that much of the development of the ability to play by ear involves developing a vocabulary of sounds within that genre. In other words, if you want to be able to play by ear in a particular style, it helps if you have some shapes/sounds under your fingers that are common within that style. So if you're not doing so already, I'd recommend that you start trying to pick apart the sounds that you like, and see if you can reduce any of them down to a "shape," "lick," or "formula," as the case may be. Even though this amounts to analyzing an individual piece of music, I think the result over time can be an enriched vocabulary, which can then help you to recognize sounds that you hear in music that you're studying by ear, if that makes sense. I bet you could search for something like "R & B licks" (or whatever) and find things you could use.

You mentioned pop in your listing of styles. This can help to quickly get a common pop sound under your fingers:

http://www.betterpiano.com/archives/the-pretty-pop-piano-thingy

Hope this helps. Good luck!

James

#2022809 - 01/28/13 12:22 PM Re: Playing By Ear Help [Re: JamesPlaysPiano]
Farmerjones Offline

IMHO hearing the key, then matching, is a skill unto itself.
When i decide to play an old pop., country or traditional standard song, i usually know it well enough to sing it. I do not try find the key. I adopt a key to play the tune. Usually D, C, or G (call me pedstrian). The I, IV, V is usually valid. If he first change doesn't go to the IV, i'll try the V. While it doesn't solve for all, it solves for the many.

I would only try to identify a key to a song, only if i had to play along with somebody else that had settled on a certain key.

#2023021 - 01/28/13 07:03 PM Re: Playing By Ear Help [Re: NoahVail]
RonL Offline

Playing piano by ear sounds awfully hard - why not use your fingers?

cymbal crash!

Seriously - get some software to help slow down tunes - I use Transcribe all the time to figure stuff out - you can loop and slow things down and it will give notes suggestions.

I spent several happy hours transcribing my piano teacher from my last lesson this past week using Transcribe - it is a great product.

#2023100 - 01/28/13 09:33 PM Re: Playing By Ear Help [Re: RonL]
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nice website with some kool stuff James.

Agree with RonL ... I use Transcribe often.

#2023123 - 01/28/13 10:36 PM Re: Playing By Ear Help [Re: NoahVail]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I've been playing piano for a little under a year now, and I'd like to take my learning technique in a different direction.

Would it be safe to say that your current "learning technique" is to "no avail", NoahVail?

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for playing music (mostly modern pop, rock, alternative, R&B, etc.) by ear? I've been perusing YouTube for music material to use for practice . . .

Without knowing how serious you are about learning, with confidence I would offer this:
Learning to play the piano, whether classical repertoire, jazz, pop, rock, rhythm & blues, ragtime; whether from written music or by ear, is a complex and fairly lengthy process. "Tips and Tricks" will not do it, unfortunately. Even to play reasonably well, there are no short-cuts. The best, and surest way to learn to play piano is to find yourself a good teacher, and begin to work on her/his suggestions.

[ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS] Tips and Tricks CAN work well, once an individual has the basics of musicianship, and is playing really solidly. In that scenario, they become additive and meaningful. Prior to having the basics "under one's belt", tips and tricks, software, and any other "shortcuts", are meaningless.

Edited by LoPresti (01/29/13 10:18 AM)

#2029865 - 02/09/13 12:26 PM Re: Playing By Ear Help [Re: NoahVail]
ChazG Offline

Hello NoahVail,

In experimenting with playing by ear, I found that you have to learn basic chords. You start with the key of C and learn all 7 chords within that key. Then, learn the next 11 keys of chords. It is good to use the Circle of Fifths to learn all keys. Once you learn your basic chords, you can play the melody with right hand using the chords and apply only the bass note of the chord in your right hand. This can lead you to develop rhythmic patterns.

The majority of songs played by ear use the I, IV, V of every key. It is also good to learn the number system to learn how to play in all keys.

You seem to have a good ear already, if you can figure out the key of a song. For many, it takes practice just to learn this method.

There are also several programs that can be purchased to help learn how to play piano by ear.

I hope this helps as I am still learning how to play by ear myself.

Edited by ChazG (02/09/13 12:28 PM)

#2029988 - 02/09/13 05:08 PM Re: Playing By Ear Help [Re: NoahVail]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
While playing by ear, try not to get too technical or theoretical. Just work on playing what you hear. If you hear a chord, pick it out - don't run to a theory book. I would stick to the 'doing'. You can worry about what to call it later [I think Miles Davis said that].

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#2030062 - 02/09/13 08:18 PM Re: Playing By Ear Help [Re: NoahVail]
IPlayPiano Offline

Lots of good feedback on here. Agreed that the most used chords in pop music are the I, IV, V but I would DEFINITLY add the vi(6) chord.

For starters, practise these chords in these 4 keys. They are the most common, I find. The notes of the chord are in the brackets.

Key of C: C(CEG) F(FAC) G(GBD) Am(ACE)
Key of G: G(GBD) C(CEG) D(DF#A) Em(EGB)
Key of D: D(DF#A) G(GBD) A(AC#E) Bm(BDF#)
Key of E: E(EG#B) A(AC#E) B(BD#F#) C#m(C#EG#)

Now, take a song like "Try" by Pink. That song uses the 4 chords in the key of D. Notice that the D is the I-Chord, the G is the IV-Chord, the A is the V-Chord and the Bm is the vi-chord, which is the 6th chord, which is also very very common in pop music. Good luck!

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
100 registered (Art_Vandelay, Atrys, Austin D, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, 29 invisible), 1360 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294229 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
Yesterday at 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
Yesterday at 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission