2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 35 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 34 35
Originally Posted by In A Silent Way

Interesting, but now in my music studio I'll have to have at least a cheap 25 keys controller on top of the VPC1 with blinking red lights and flashy colours&designs just because I'll miss the minimal mod wheel, pitch wheel, and a pressure controller.

Well, I think one might consider it the other way round.
Lots of musicians already have a midi keyboard in their studio, powered monitors, controllers and what not. In my case, I already own a 61 notes light action master keyboard with a modwheel which I'm happy with - as far as organs and synths are concerned. But I missed a good weighted action midi keyboard for piano. Other people might own a krome, a kurzweil or anything filled with great sounds - but deprived of a good wooden action. So they already have the lights and flashy colours anyway.
If I were one of these people, I'd be happy not to have to pay for the whole thing (action+ sounds) again. There the VPC1 is the perfect deal : for those who need the action, only the action. The velocity curves are of less importance to me.

Last edited by TubularBills; 01/28/13 09:30 PM.
HisKidd #2023073 01/28/13 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by HisKidd
James...
Is the Kawai F-30 foot pedal unique to the new VPC? Will it work with other Kawai stage pianos (MP-10; MP-6), and can it be purchased separately? I've checked Kawai on line; and several of the instrument/musician outlets, but haven't had any luck finding the F-30, only the F-20.
Regards,
H.K. cool

It looks to me like it's basically an F-20 pedal and an F-10H pedal mounted into the same housing, as their are two plugs coming out of it. I'd assume it connects and works the same way as plugging and F-20 into the Foot switch jack and an F-10 into the Damper jack.

Of course, some confirmation would be nice though.

Kawai MP6 | Ravenscroft 275 | True Keys American & Italian | Galaxy Vintage D, II, & Giant | Old Black Grand | Imperfect Fazioli
davinwv #2023162 01/29/13 01:30 AM
T
T
I must say that I am a bit surprised that there wasn't a bundled VST with the VPC1... Maybe they should have included CDROM that was preloaded with one of the 4 shown or even something else. By doing that it would at open the door to people who are just starting out (1st time buyers). After spending nearly 2k they don't want to hear the sales person say now you need to spend another $300 on virtual pianos in order to play it..... That might drive people away from the product. Just a thought. Personally I'll still buy one, but I already a have a couple VST's and two synths.

NP2, Arturia Laboratory 61

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80
gvfarns #2023216 01/29/13 03:42 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hello chaps,

Below are some responses to your queries/comments.

Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
I'm assuming that an editor and drivers for OS-X will be released, hopefully in the near future.

I am hopeful, as this has been quite a strong request so far. However, I am not the person responsible for making this decision.

Originally Posted by Hideki Matsui
One quick question Kawai James. Once I create curves on a PC and import them to the VPC, will they be effective when I hook the VPC up to my Jupiter and Mac?

Yes, the VPC editor stores settings directly to the VPC1's internal memories. So once your custom touch curves etc. are programmed in, you will not need to connect the PC unless you decide to change something again.

Originally Posted by Temperament
Another question whether there is a mechanical or geometrical difference (improvement?) between the RM3 or RM3 II or this all is up to the added third sensor.

Geometrically 'RM3 Grand' and 'RM3 Grand II' are the same, however the construction is a little different, in addition to the third sensor.

Originally Posted by Temperament
I am very interested in an answer to whether RM3II is that much better than RH2.

Officially, I cannot really answer such a subjective question. However, if you were to ask me as an individual, which keyboard action would I rather own - obviously, 'RM3 Grand II' every time. wink

Is the Kawai F-30 foot pedal unique to the new VPC?

Currently, yes. However, we may decide to introduce this unit as a standalone accessory for existing MP users (see below) in the future if there is strong demand.

Will it work with other Kawai stage pianos (MP-10; MP-6)?

Due to the technical design of the F-30, I believe it will only function correctly (i.e. as a triple pedal unit) with the MP8, MP8II, and MP10 (i.e. not the MP5 or MP6). And even then, a software update would be required each of those models.

Originally Posted by gvfarns
I think we are all operating under the assumption that RM3II is just RM3 with a third sensor...

...yes, plus the improved key frame construction.

Originally Posted by gvfarns
...and that RH2 is the same as RH with a third sensor.

Yes, this is more or less correct.

I hope this helps to answer your queries chaps!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
thercman #2023222 01/29/13 03:52 AM
Online Content
Originally Posted by thercman
I must say that I am a bit surprised that there wasn't a bundled VST with the VPC1...

I believe it would be a little difficult to do so without aggravating the other VI developers we partnered with.

Maybe they should have included CDROM that was preloaded with one of the 4 shown or even something else.

With the exception of Pianoteq, I do not believe any modern virtual piano packages are shipped on CD-ROM.

By doing that it would at open the door to people who are just starting out (1st time buyers). After spending nearly 2k they don't want to hear the sales person say now you need to spend another $300 on virtual pianos in order to play it.....

I understand the point you are making, however I would like to think that VPC1 customers will appreciate that the controller does not include virtual piano software.

Personally I'll still buy one, but I already a have a couple VST's and two synths.

Sounds like a great combo. wink

Cheers,
James
x

davinwv #2023242 01/29/13 04:37 AM
James, thanks for all the great answers - especially in regards to the questions about actions. Obviously people interested in this board are particularly picky and discerning about action, and so you get lots of nagging questions about it smile

Speaking of which....

Could you elaborate on why the choice was made to opt for RM3II over GF in the VPC? I'm not trying to complain or sound negative at all, I'm just genuinely curious about what factors determine the choices Kawai makes on which actions to choose for their particular keyboards.

For example, if size and weight was a concern that guided that decision, I think a most people interested in the VPC wouldn't care about an extra couple inches or pounds added to the VPC considering how they're going to be using it.

If it was cost, I'd be curious to know what the cost difference between the VPC with RM3II or GF would approximately be. I wouldn't mind if Kawai just ripped off the top of one of their CA or CS series with GF (perhaps whittled down the case size to be tighter though) and stick a midi jack on it. smile

Thanks

Last edited by chicolom; 01/29/13 04:44 AM.

Kawai MP6 | Ravenscroft 275 | True Keys American & Italian | Galaxy Vintage D, II, & Giant | Old Black Grand | Imperfect Fazioli
davinwv #2023249 01/29/13 05:05 AM
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
@chicolom

Good question. Considering size and weight , you're indeed right that most people buying this board won't be carrying around the VPC anyway. On the other hand GF would have definitely prevented the option to take the board to a gig or elsewhere due to increased size and weight. And there ARE pro's who do lug their MP10's onto stage, so with the choice for RM3 II , Kawai may have given people at least the option to take the VPC with you - where GF would have prevented this altogether. In that respect I understand the decision. Completely apart from the price difference it would have introduced.

Also the RM3 II was due to arrive anyway, because at some point there must be a successor to the MP10 in the make and that couldn't possibly be with GF either, if it was supposed to be 'portable' in any way.

In terms of price the VPC with GF may have cost only little less than a CA65 and equal to an MP10, so that would make it difficult to sell against these models too.

Conclusion: RM3 II seems to make sense either way you look at it.

dewster #2023252 01/29/13 05:23 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dewster

The difference is in velocity resolution post curving. If you pass 128 values (0-127) through a non trivial function and want 128 out, some values will be missing and/or some will be duplicated - so you need more values going in than coming out. Most keyboard encoders have excess internal resolution to cope with this.

If the controller kicks out high-res MIDI (2^14 values) this is pretty much moot and you can do the curve anywhere you want with impunity. Though the curve is traditionally in the controller (for the reason above) so there may be limited to no curve control in stand-alone sound modules.

Agreed/understood, however it is conceivable that the instrument will actually interpolate between points, in which case essentially no steps will be lost. I checked with Pianoteq support, and it actually does interpolate in this way.
No idea about all the others yet.

There is always the issue of whether or not the controller is capturing the dynamic range of the player appropriately though, especially for standard MIDI resolution. For example, if the player can never reach velocities above, say, 100, then 27 steps will be lost, of course, no matter how the instrument processes the velocity.

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 01/29/13 05:24 AM.
davinwv #2023255 01/29/13 05:28 AM
Online Content
Good question. This is also answered in the Q&A section of the VPC website, which we hope to have online tomorrow.

Here's a peek:

Q. Why doesn’t the VPC1 use Kawai’s latest ‘Grand Feel’ (GF) keyboard action?

A. The ‘Grand Feel’ (GF) keyboard action is currently reserved for Kawai’s flagship ‘Concert Artist’ digital piano instruments. Moreover, it would not be possible to include the ‘Grand Feel’ action in the VPC1 without a considerable increase to the chassis size.

Therefore, we decided to utilise an enhanced version of the MP10’s ‘RM3 Grand’ action, which is widely considered the most realistic keyboard action available in a slab-type/portable instrument.

Regarding cost etc., please understand that this is confidential information that cannot be disclosed on a public forum.

Kind regards,
James
x

JFP #2023257 01/29/13 05:30 AM
Online Content
Originally Posted by JFP
Conclusion: RM3 II seems to make sense either way you look at it.

Correct.

davinwv #2023263 01/29/13 06:05 AM
I see. Makes more sense now. Thanks for the responses smile

Ugh, I want one...

BTW, what's the cheapest Kawai DP with GF action? I know the CA65 and CA95 have it, but I'm not sure what else has it. Is there a list/chart/publication somewhere of which keyboards have which actions?

I also saw from NAMM that the CS7 and CS10 have it it, but I'm not where those fall in price compared to the CA series. I assumed the CS series is less premium than the CA series, AKA cheaper...

chicolom #2023270 01/29/13 06:26 AM
Online Content
Yes, currently only the CA95, CA65, and newly introduced CS10 and CS7 instruments feature the 'Grand Feel' action.

Kind regards,
James
x

Kawai James #2023315 01/29/13 09:09 AM
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I must say that I am a bit surprised that there wasn't a bundled VST with the VPC1...

I believe it would be a little difficult to do so without aggravating the other VI developers we partnered with.

Another approach could have been to bundle demo versions of all four pianos, and perhaps build into the price of the unit the ability to fully activate any one (assuming an arrangement could have been made that it would add less to the cost of the unit than what it would cost to buy any of them separately), with ideally a way to unlock additional ones as desired at a special price. Maybe the demo versions would only play through a special VST player that would introduce "flaws" into the sound of any non-purchased piano (like, an x second drop out every x seconds, or something like that). The point is, I'm sure there are ways to keep all the developers on an even playing field so as not to aggravate them. Next time...

davinwv #2023316 01/29/13 09:17 AM
V
V
I think Hauptwerk (organ software) does well with the demo versions. There is a free option with limited polyphony (256) and a few other limitations, but with that version you can try out the two higher versions, although when using them you get a periodic 'bong' and a paid licence operates via a dongle.

Kawai James #2023321 01/29/13 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Q. Why doesn’t the VPC1 use Kawai’s latest ‘Grand Feel’ (GF) keyboard action?

A. The ‘Grand Feel’ (GF) keyboard action is currently reserved for Kawai’s flagship ‘Concert Artist’ digital piano instruments. Moreover, it would not be possible to include the ‘Grand Feel’ action in the VPC1 without a considerable increase to the chassis size.

Therefore, we decided to utilise an enhanced version of the MP10’s ‘RM3 Grand’ action, which is widely considered the most realistic keyboard action available in a slab-type/portable instrument.

That's a pitty. frown
It means that we will never see a VPC II with GF keyboard.

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m - Yamaha P125 + VSTi
davinwv #2023322 01/29/13 09:34 AM
G
G
How do these 2 actions compare? Are they dramatically different?

Qbert #2023337 01/29/13 10:00 AM
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Qbert
That's a pitty. frown
It means that we will never see a VPC II with GF keyboard.

Right. It also probably means Kawai will not be producing a GF replacement for the MP10. Basically they are going to have a console and a slab action in parallel (like Yamaha with NW and NW-stage).

We've had people say GF is better than RM3 and we've also had the opposite, so I think it's a bit early to say which is better. Most forum members have not yet tried GF.

davinwv #2023376 01/29/13 11:40 AM
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Saw Muse last night. Glad to see Matt Bellamy is still using a Kawai onstage. James, any idea if that is still the MP8 or does he have a VPC in there already.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
sullivang #2023446 01/29/13 02:07 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by me
I checked with Pianoteq support, and it actually does interpolate in this way.

Hmmm - even if it does interpolate the points that lie between the anchor points that are set by the user, it is not allowing the anchors to be set precisely - I can only change them in normal low-res steps. (unless there is some other way to feed it a high-res velocity curve - not sure). I might test all this out. Then again I might not.

Greg.

sullivang #2023465 01/29/13 02:42 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sullivang
Agreed/understood, however it is conceivable that the instrument will actually interpolate between points, in which case essentially no steps will be lost. I checked with Pianoteq support, and it actually does interpolate in this way.

Very good point. Though the 128 steps are quantized in the controller, so data coming from it means "here is a velocity value that is within +/- 1/256th of the velocity I actually measured more precisely but can't tell you because of the limitations of the MIDI data format (7 bits)." That Pianoteq is capable of interpolating and using interpolating data means they aren't making the velocity uncertainty much worse, but they can't make it better due to the inherent quantization noise.

Page 24 of 35 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission