Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
141 registered (anamnesis, ando, Alexander Borro, ajames, anotherscott, 40 invisible), 1746 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2018226 - 01/21/13 08:39 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I recorded my piece yesterday, but there were a few misses. Therefore I keep this recording just as backup and hope to be able to make a better one before the deadline.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2018982 - 01/22/13 12:05 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I think I've got my piece in good enough shape to start attempting a recording... *except* it's not fully memorized yet, and the danged thing is 6 pages long. Aarrggh.

#2018989 - 01/22/13 12:17 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Your post, Ganddalf motivated me to give this a try. I realize now I have a lot more work to do then I had thought. Perhaps I should have started sooner, but thankfully there is still time.

The Red dot syndrome is upon me. This is the little regimen/game I play with myself that seems to help. Keeping in mind, I have always been my own worst enemy. Basically, I try to put myself in the shoes of the pro's.

Conversation with Self:
"C'mon Greener, you can do better then that. What are you, an amateur or a professional?"

Answer: amateur

"Yes, I know. But I HATE that answer"

"Well then, if you HATE that answer, perhaps you should start acting more professional"

OK, take 25 ...

"There we have it, good enough to submit. After all I am only an amateur" smile

#2019035 - 01/22/13 01:19 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Meanwhile, over in the adjoining recording studio...

Peter Professional bangs his highly skilled but fragile and delicate hands down on the keyboard in utter exasperation after the 25th take, and after cursing in gutter-like terms that would make a truck driver or lumberjack blush (is that possible?) says to himself:

"For crying out loud Pete you moron, are you a high paid, world famous professional or a freakin' amateur?"

To which he answers: "A professional, of course, you jerk-face!"

In response to which he says: "Yes, I Know - and I LOVE that answer. And don't you forget it, you lowlife!"

And then replies: "Well, if you love it then stop acting like a rank amateur and start playing like the arrogant and egotistical pro you are - this studio recording time is expensive!"

25 takes later: "Finally, a take even I can live with - print it - it'll sell like hot funnel cake."

Moral of the story: Pianists of every level wrestle with the red dot - some "opponents" are bigger than others and some matches just cost more than others...

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2019049 - 01/22/13 01:30 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
The only real difference between professional and amateur is whether you earn a living with it. Has little to do with skill or talent. But if you're serious about your hobby, keep practising! laugh

(Why am I writing this, instead of practicing for the recital?)

#2019141 - 01/22/13 03:58 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
The only difference between a amateur and a professional is...

An amateur practices until he gets it right....

A professional practices until he can't do it wrong.

(or something like that...) smile

#2019450 - 01/23/13 04:56 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
I'm out of luck ... I caught a bad flu and I could not record anything this week-end ... frown

I think it's the first time I'm almost 4 weeks without playing... Are we nearing at the end of the world??????

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2019486 - 01/23/13 07:35 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Ouch, I should really take part in this one... I think I have 2 or 3 tunes that I might try to record... actually I wanted to finish book 2 first but I still have two songs and the Canon in D to do eek

#2019613 - 01/23/13 12:03 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: jazzwee]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Originally Posted By: jazzwee

That's it exactly! I love it, Jazzwee...BTW, I just started taking a Jazz improv class at our town's comm. college. We're using Aebersold play-alongs. Pressure is on not to do it wrong.

#2019645 - 01/23/13 12:44 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Oh dear, I've not got anything ready for this recital.The last couple of months have just been wall to wall Mendelssohn.The only other things I've picked at recently have been Bach's Allemande from French suite no 4 and a nice arrangement of As if we never said goodbye from Sunset Boulevard.I might get one of them in by the deadline.

#2019670 - 01/23/13 01:42 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Starr Keys]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: Starr Keys
Originally Posted By: jazzwee

That's it exactly! I love it, Jazzwee...BTW, I just started taking a Jazz improv class at our town's comm. college. We're using Aebersold play-alongs. Pressure is on not to do it wrong.

That's great! Keep it simple and slow at first. Brain has to get used to the idea. Unfortunately Aebersolds are too fast.

#2020337 - 01/24/13 01:04 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: CarlosCC]
wouter79 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
I'm out of luck ... I caught a bad flu and I could not record anything this week-end ... frown

I think it's the first time I'm almost 4 weeks without playing... Are we nearing at the end of the world??????

That can't be it, end of the world was december last year ?

#2020460 - 01/24/13 03:18 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Wow. I promised myself I would participate this year and boy did this sneak up! None of my bigger pieces are ready, so I will do a smaller piece I started a week or two ago. I hope it's ready in time!

#2021362 - 01/25/13 08:30 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Little_Blue_Engine Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
I've got nothing and honestly don't expect to have anything frown. The piano sounds awful and there's just been so much stress around here lately I don't see anything coming together. Maybe next time...

#2022112 - 01/27/13 10:46 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

After a short stop (forced), I'm back!
I did a warm-up with some older pieces and I felt so good that I took the positive wave and I did a (decent) recording of my piece to participate in the next recital.
Count me in! thumb

PS: My flu has gone, too!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2022178 - 01/27/13 12:46 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Greener Offline

My appointment with the red dot has been booked for this Wednesday at 10:00am. Scrambling now to get this sucker up to recital tempo and while still error free of course, is the goal. eek .

#2022199 - 01/27/13 01:33 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I think I might want to try my hand at this recital thing. Trouble is, I just sold my MIDI-equipped Roland RD-150 yesterday, which means the easy way of getting my music onto the internet just vanished.

Quick question: has anyone ever tried recording a grand piano using an iPhone? That's all I have right now ... I'm guessing I shouldn't bother?

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2022211 - 01/27/13 01:51 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Saranoya]
Valencia Offline

Hi Saranoya, I have a very basic recording set up here....using the cheapest digital recorder there is, and recording my decades old digital piano that is plugged into a radio because it doesn't have external speakers. I just set the recorder next to the radio and then transfer the file to my computer and fix it up with Audacity (free program). Last recital i submitted an entry recorded this way, so I say just do the best you can with what you've got and don't let not having an ideal recording set up stop you from participating!

#2022853 - 01/28/13 01:46 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Still don't have my piece memorized. But the piano is freshly tuned, and the recital opens in a couple of days. Can't procrastinate much longer. eek

#2022884 - 01/28/13 02:45 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Greener]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Originally Posted By: Greener
My appointment with the red dot has been booked for this Wednesday at 10:00am. Scrambling now to get this sucker up to recital tempo and while still error free of course, is the goal. eek .

Greener, please don't think I am watching your every move, (I just want to help!), but having a predetermined date, place and exact time to perform a piece as a beginner who may not have the piece perfectly down yet is a recipe for either MORE stress or worse.

I've tried doing what you are about to do (specific day, time etc), but unfortunately it never worked out for me. I ALWAYS have gotten my best recordings very late at night when I am more than half asleep and didn't overly care about the recording to begin with because I was so relaxed.

This lackadaisical recording attitude helps me tremendously with handling my recording stress levels. Unfortunately however recording this way comes at a cost of diminished dynamics and emotion (because I am more than half asleep) but first things first.

Once I fully conquer the red dot recording stress I will work harder at performance dynamics, emotional input etc but I can't even get there until I get the recording stress level under control.

My suggestion: DON"T have any specific per-set time to record but instead be ready to record at any time. This way if you actually are having a good practice session, go ahead and record it. You won't have any pre built up stresses to deal with and you will have your tune recorded calmly without hardly even knowing it.

I can feel the passion in your posts and have been there (still am!) which is why I can offer a little suggestion here and there. Just take it easy and as odd as this may sound...don't try too hard. I usually never say this because many people don't try hard enough but trying too hard too soon can easily lead to frustration if you're not careful.

Everything in moderation, plus an extra scoop.

#2022903 - 01/28/13 03:12 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
So I have a recording... two silly bluesy pieces from my Alfred's book. The harder I try, the worse they come out so I think I will use one of the first takes. I'm starting to think that recording is worse than playing for other people... when you play for somebody a hesitation or a harsh tone is quickly forgotten, while a recording is inescapable and shows you all your mistakes and embarrassments every time you listen to it eek

laugh

#2022914 - 01/28/13 03:27 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Greener Offline

Good for you Sinophilia. I'm sure it will be great.
Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky

My suggestion: DON"T have any specific per-set time to record but instead be ready to record at any time. This way if you actually are having a good practice session, go ahead and record it. You won't have any pre built up stresses to deal with and you will have your tune recorded calmly without hardly even knowing it.

Thanks for the concern Mr. SH. Yes, I agree, I am a sucker for punishment.

The situation is this: I have a friend that is a sound guy. He is coming over with better Mics and pre-amp then I have and the date and time is set. He volunteered and wants to do it. It will cost me lunch is all.

If it doesn't work out my fall back is my own stuff with still plenty of time. The piece I have is well rehearsed and I do not think I will be wasting his time.

Your advice is well received though, and thanks again for the concern. If I can do better then my own stuff though, I'm going to give it a shot.

#2022931 - 01/28/13 04:00 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Okay Greener, I understand. I would go for it too.

Quickly, my past recording mistakes include (but certainly NOT limited to):

.Getting too excited thereby playing too loud in sections which will clip (distortion) the recording.

. Setting the gain control on the recording device inaccurately which results in a recording that is either too soft (my last recital recording) or too loud.

. Concentrating too much on performing the piece correctly or ensuring that the piano is tuned and sounds good only to drop the ball on what will make MORE of a difference than anything else. That being 'ROOM ACOUSTICS'.... (Good luck with that one btw 'cuz you'll need it!).

. And finally, using recording equipment that is 'TOO GOOD'! I used to use a pair of Rode studio quality condenser mics along with a Behringer mixing board and the end result was HORRIBLE as you could hear every single micro mistake and flaw. Using the Zoom actually turned out much better recordings as it was not as extremely sensitive and tended not to highlight my constant shortcomings.

I hope these little tips help.

#2022940 - 01/28/13 04:10 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
The curse of the red dot ... I felt good recording this afternoon and then noticed, "Memory card full.".

Grrrrhh!!!

Kawai K3

#2023000 - 01/28/13 05:49 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
I wish my piece was ready. I never seem to be able to make the deadline.

Recitals:

#2023035 - 01/28/13 07:47 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Saranoya]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"Quick question: has anyone ever tried recording a grand piano using an iPhone? That's all I have right now ... I'm guessing I shouldn't bother?"

Recording quality out of a mobile phone isn`t bad . .but stereo might be a prob!

I`ve recorded mine once. Piano sounds fine; I do not . . . .now, wat video would be best for this I wonder? Does anybody really want to see me playing? Ha ha . . . The dog`ll jump on my lap; that`d be funny . . .

""

#2023076 - 01/28/13 08:56 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: peterws]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: peterws
"Quick question: has anyone ever tried recording a grand piano using an iPhone? That's all I have right now ... I'm guessing I shouldn't bother?"

Recording quality out of a mobile phone isn`t bad . .but stereo might be a prob!

I`ve recorded mine once. Piano sounds fine; I do not . . . .now, wat video would be best for this I wonder? Does anybody really want to see me playing? Ha ha . . . The dog`ll jump on my lap; that`d be funny . . .

Actually I think a few people have. I can't remember who but the quality was not as bad as one would have figured. Still nothing to write home about.....

#2023256 - 01/29/13 04:29 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Okay Greener, I understand. I would go for it too.

.Getting too excited thereby playing too loud in sections which will clip (distortion) the recording.

. Setting the gain control on the recording device inaccurately which results in a recording that is either too soft (my last recital recording) or too loud.

. Concentrating too much on performing the piece correctly or ensuring that the piano is tuned and sounds good only to drop the ball on what will make MORE of a difference than anything else. That being 'ROOM ACOUSTICS'.... (Good luck with that one btw 'cuz you'll need it!).

. And finally, using recording equipment that is 'TOO GOOD'! I used to use a pair of Rode studio quality condenser mics along with a Behringer mixing board and the end result was HORRIBLE as you could hear every single micro mistake and flaw. Using the Zoom actually turned out much better recordings as it was not as extremely sensitive and tended not to highlight my constant shortcomings.

A friend of mine, who also is a sound guy, went to my home and noticed the diference between the sound of my records and the sound of me playing live. I told him, that more important than the quality of the records, is the performance itself. I explained that ABF recitals members are not sound professionals, and everybody knows that and we all have that in mind.

I did 9 records to ABF recitals, and I'm still trying to reach the "perfect sound" trying diferent configurations both on the Piano and on PC. I think it's a good approach.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2023287 - 01/29/13 06:21 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: peterws]
wouter79 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:

I heard a few attempts before. Main problem is that people don't FIX THE VOLUME. If the device is auto-voluming your piece, all your attempts at dynamic changes will be leveled out. It never became clear to me if fixing the volume can be done at all with iPhone

Other than that, I suggest to put the iPhone a meter from the open lid such that it can 'see' the strings. Point it towards the strings as well. Then check the fixed volume against the loudest part you want to play and keep some safety margin

Edited by wouter79 (01/29/13 06:40 AM)

#2023313 - 01/29/13 07:49 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Greener Offline

And the one I would add to this list is; focusing on getting a clean (mistake free) recording, only to discover upon the umpteenth take when I finally have one, that it is completely flat of dynamics and expression. This is my greatest failure to date as it is always this take I end up with. I feel like I have to put in a disclaimer ... "but I can play it better ... honest, just not today smile ".

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Daily temperature swings
by Stubbie
5 minutes 39 seconds ago
New Grotrian 6'3" v. Steinway B
by chasingrainbows
34 minutes 6 seconds ago
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
by musdan
Today at 10:07 AM
Book about Alice Herz-Sommer, pianist and holocaust survivor
by neuralfirings
Today at 09:20 AM
What does a dealer have to reveal?
by chasingrainbows
Today at 09:09 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159366 Topics
2341026 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission