Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2016319 - 01/17/13 08:12 PM Online instruction
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Can anyone recommend an online piano site for jazz, blues, rock? I had been using a site for a couple of years but the quality has deteriorated of late.

Piano & Music Accessories
#2016393 - 01/17/13 10:22 PM Re: Online instruction [Re: Nikalette]
Bruce Siegel Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Hi Nikalette! Can I be so brazen as to mention my own site, DoctorKeys Online Piano Lessons? :o)

It offers a course called Play & Sing that teaches you to accompany yourself in pop, rock, blues, and folk styles.

Naturally, without knowing more about you, I can't say whether the course would be appropriate for you. The tutorials are designed for people who are just getting started at the piano, but also for more advanced pianists who want to learn to accompany, or become more proficient in pop styles.

The lessons and videos are clearly indexed, so it's easy to skip what you already know, and find exactly what you're looking for.

There's a free video on the site called Piano Accompaniment Styles for 50 Great Songs, so you can get a feel for what I do without paying a cent. Subscribing to the site costs only $20 for 6 months.

Anyway, I hope my pitch for my own site is not inappropriate here! And I'll be delighted to answer any questions you may have.

Bruce

#2016606 - 01/18/13 09:44 AM Re: Online instruction [Re: Nikalette]
btcomm Offline

I'm assuming the site was Willie Myette's. What changed your mind about his material? Just curious because I never signed on to his program but did buy a few of his DVD's.

#2017617 - 01/20/13 12:50 AM Re: Online instruction [Re: btcomm]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: btcomm
I'm assuming the site was Willie Myette's. What changed your mind about his material? Just curious because I never signed on to his program but did buy a few of his DVD's.

My lips are sealed.

#2017619 - 01/20/13 12:52 AM Re: Online instruction [Re: Bruce Siegel]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Bruce, I am interested most in accompanying myself , although I'm not a beginner. More intermediate to advanced. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

#2017887 - 01/20/13 03:08 PM Re: Online instruction [Re: Nikalette]
Bruce Siegel Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Nikalette
Thanks Bruce, I am interested most in accompanying myself , although I'm not a beginner. More intermediate to advanced. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

You're welcome, Nikalette. Sounds like much of what's on my site may be too basic for you. A few of my videos are available for free on my YouTube channel, so you can check them out there.
http://www.youtube.com/user/brucesiegel28?feature=mhee

Bruce

#2021669 - 01/26/13 01:31 PM Re: Online instruction [Re: Nikalette]
JamesPlaysPiano Offline

If I may, you might find my site helpful too, because it includes an intermediate and an advanced section (more coming in the future):

http://www.betterpiano.com/archives/category/level/intermediate
http://www.betterpiano.com/archives/category/level/advanced

Enjoy smile

James

#2023113 - 01/28/13 10:10 PM Online instruction [Re: Nikalette]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
If you have been working on "jazz, blues, rock" for two years now, you must have a fair idea about what specific areas you would like to develop, and in what direction. Tell us a little more about what you are hoping to achieve, and we can make more informed recommendations.

Ed

#2024065 - 01/30/13 01:43 PM Re: Online instruction [Re: LoPresti]
newbert Offline

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
You might want to also check out David Sprunger's site: http://www.playpianotoday.com/ There's a specific page there for Blues piano: http://www.playpianotoday.com/blues/

I'm just picking up piano after many years away, and am working thru his "Pattern Piano" course. After the first few basic lessons, it's become quite challenging for me. It sounds like you're farther along in ability than me, so it might fit well for your current level.

#2027440 - 02/05/13 01:04 PM Re: Online instruction [Re: LoPresti]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: LoPresti
If you have been working on "jazz, blues, rock" for two years now, you must have a fair idea about what specific areas you would like to develop, and in what direction. Tell us a little more about what you are hoping to achieve, and we can make more informed recommendations.

Ed

I'm able to learn songs by reading, and have a good grounding in theory, but having problems with Improv and accompanying myself in a better way, I have tended to play the piano like a guitar, using arpeggios and block chords, with just the root or another chord tone in the bass. It's not hard for me to play and sing, I did it for years on the guitar, but my creativity is stuck when it comes to accompaniment or solo.improc sections of a song.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have gone to all the sites and bookmarked them.

Also, I had a bad break in my left radius and ulna, requiring surgery, about a year ago and the combination of the injury and mistakes I surgery and casting have decreased my reach from 9ths to 7ths and octaves, my biggest area of disability being my thumb and pinky. It appears to be permanent.

#2027509 - 02/05/13 02:59 PM Online instruction [Re: Nikalette]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
That is a shame about the injury, and especially perhaps about the bungling that followed apparently.

I do not have the copy in front of me, but Adolph Sandole authored a book named "JAZZ PIANO: LEFT HAND" a number of years ago, published by the Berklee Press, as I recall. It was focused on jazz piano-style "comping", which would work when other instruments are improvising, when working with a vocalist, or whenever your RH is called upon to solo.

For general jazz development, one of our distinguished members right on this Forum, Dave Frank, has published a comprehensive tutorial as a guide to becoming a real jazz pianist. The "Joy of Improvisation" is the structured course, and many on this Forum participate in a special thread dedicated to their on-going discoveries.

Of course, for real, focused learning, nothing beats finding a very good teacher, and doing personalized study.
Ed

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
142 registered (36251, acortot, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1425 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76037 Members
42 Forums
157217 Topics
2309111 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recognising Slash chords by ear
by Visalia
09/01/14 06:07 PM
Hammer blow distance, dynamic range, controllability
by prout
09/01/14 05:39 PM
Arrangers Comparable to Marilynn Ham Suggestions
by Hunt
09/01/14 04:13 PM
Bach well tempered clavier vs goldberg variations
by hag01
09/01/14 04:09 PM
Why are pianos measured by external dimensions?
by smrkdown
09/01/14 02:11 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission