Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2021059 - 01/25/13 11:06 AM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
Itsgotta Offline

Thanks for clarifying galaxy. I guess this would mean no after touch since the other models don't. Still wondering about the release date.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2021061 - 01/25/13 11:08 AM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Shipping is late March, early April.

And as to the point early on in this thread about Mike hand-assembling these - it seems he has been, kind of! He's been spending sleepless nights programming the EPs, and they are beginning to sound very good indeed.

So, yes, thank you Mike, and I may well be another eager customer.

#2021096 - 01/25/13 12:24 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
Itsgotta Offline

Oii march -April is so far away

#2021156 - 01/25/13 02:30 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
susanmusic Offline

@Mike Martin

Nice video for Kraft. Can you say what pedal unit you were using? It seemed to have two pedals. And was that the Yamaha set list app?

#2021284 - 01/25/13 05:42 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
So now its a real machine and people have seen it, can someone tell us what the mysterious slot thing is on the back that we were all pontificating on wildly?

#2021336 - 01/25/13 07:32 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Battery slot ....

#2021361 - 01/25/13 08:30 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Dr Popper]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Wow, great to see Joe Sample tearing it up!

For those interested, the name of this tune is "Put it where you want it", originally from the Crusaders' '1' album (the first recorded without the band's 'Jazz' prefix). Here's a pretty cool (albeit heavily edited) live performance of the tune from 1974 (the Ali-Fraiser 'Rumble in the Jungle' concert):

I really love the the Jazz Crusaders late 60s and Crusaders early 70s sound...it's a shame there are not more live recordings and videos from this period.

Anyway, back on topic, the PX-5S sounds pretty impressive. Definitely going to have to seek this board out once it's launched in Japan.

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
Battery slot ....

Seriously?

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2021376 - 01/25/13 09:17 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Kawai James]
torhu Offline

Yup, Mike Martin says in the video that it can run on eight AA batteries...

At least noone saw it coming. And I can't imagine who would want it, either. Never seen a piano busker. Maybe it's a Japanese thing?

EDIT: By the way, the Internet claims that AA batteries were introduced in 1907. Who knew.

#2021383 - 01/25/13 09:43 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: torhu]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: torhu
Yup, Mike Martin says in the video that it can run on eight AA batteries...

At least noone saw it coming. And I can't imagine who would want it, either. Never seen a piano busker. Maybe it's a Japanese thing?

Yes, it's common to see youngsters (and sometimes oldsters) playing and singing out in public in Japan, especially outside train stations. Often these artists have their own cult following, selling CDs of their recordings. It's pretty cool. Definitely one of the things I love about this unique country. wink

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2021391 - 01/25/13 10:17 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: voxpops]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: voxpops

And as to the point early on in this thread about Mike hand-assembling these - it seems he has been, kind of! He's been spending sleepless nights programming the EPs, and they are beginning to sound very good indeed.

I heard Mike has been busy hand-winding transformers for the power adapters and rolling foil and plastic for the capacitors. He's a very handy guy. wink

#2021699 - 01/26/13 02:34 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
MVshabeer2 Offline

#2021704 - 01/26/13 02:41 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
EPW Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Did Mike say how long the PX5s will last on batteries?

#2021738 - 01/26/13 04:26 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
The little square hole on the back looks like USB to host, and not a music rest mount. See 4:40 in the video above with Mike Martin.

#2022859 - 01/28/13 02:07 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: dewster]
PianoManChuck Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Yep - can run on 8 AA batteries... I've been waiting for years (decades) for a pro board (88 weighted keys) that's light weight (24 lbs) that can run on batteries!!!! Couple that puppy with a Roland KC-110 stereo keyboard amp (also runs on batteries) and you can play ANYWHERE!!! Great for outdoor parties. Thank you Casio, and thank you Mike Martin!! BTW: finally got to meet Mike in person at NAMM... great guy!

#2022870 - 01/28/13 02:27 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
hey casio, check out this thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2022510

let me know what you think about the pedals.

Edited by adak (01/28/13 02:28 PM)

#2022892 - 01/28/13 02:55 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
@Mike Martin ; if the PX5S is not in production yet, would it be possible at all to do something about the design esthetics before it runs of the production line ? Even if it was only making it all black that would already do a lo of good IMHO. My impression is that almost everyone is impressed by the keybed, sound and things the px can do, but hardly anyone praises how it looks. It's probably too late, but I'd thought I'd mention it anyway. Perhaps a better looking PX5 BK is already planned or some design (color?) tweaks have indeed been implemented before the production started, I don't know...

Ps was it a prototype at Namm ? That would perhaps explain why it looked so "patched and stitched together" on the YouTube reviews.

Don't get me wrong - I'm quite impressed by the PX5 (I was already pleasantly surprised by the normal PX series and the PX5 has filled in many request that remained, like good EP's) . It's just it's appearance that spoils it in my opinion - but perhaps it doesn't matter and it will sell anyway...

#2022894 - 01/28/13 02:57 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: JFP]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
i think the px-5s looks ok, it looks distinctive, one look and i know it is a px-5s.

#2022908 - 01/28/13 03:14 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: JFP]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JFP
Even if it was only making it all black that would already do a lo of good IMHO.

Anything but all black! One of the worst things about the PX3 (and even worse on the black PX330) was that it was very difficult to quickly and reliably operate their black-on-black panels on a stage (or any environment without optimum lighting). The new design is a welcome functional improvement there.

#2022952 - 01/28/13 04:28 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
Pedro_Henrique Offline

Loc: Uberaba, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Mike, can you do a test for me on the PX5s? The fast repetition test... laugh And post it as a video for us? laugh

Piano Student at State Conservatory Renato Frateschi - Uberaba - Minas Gerais - Brazil

#2023001 - 01/28/13 05:49 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
emenelton Offline

Don't mean to jump on stylistic bandwagons but I'm gonna'. I owned the PX3 and the black on black look was extremely difficult to read(sorry JFP) in many environments. The new look is an improvement. Just my opinion:)
Of course I haven't seen it in person. I have a question for those who have played it.
Does the chassis seem firmer than the 350?.

#2023017 - 01/28/13 06:50 PM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: emenelton]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

coincidentally- in November I had purchased an extra pair of Mackie MR5's- and white ones!! Maybe this is destiny!

I would just need to paint the monitor stands white!!!
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2023185 - 01/29/13 01:51 AM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote: "I owned the PX3 and the black on black look was extremely difficult to read(sorry JFP) in many environments. "

OK, point taken; perhaps not all black then, but at least 'something' to get rid of the toy-like / plastic look it now seems to have. There must be more classy color combinations, that are still readable in different circumstances, can't believe that this was the only possible design for Casio to come up with.

Anyway - still a very promising product. l

#2023229 - 01/29/13 03:04 AM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
o0Ampy0o Offline

From the stage angle (backside) it looks decent enough.

From a working angle I cannot really tell because that particular blue hue on white does not read accurately in photographs. It would be good if they added a light to the on/off button. The panel text and buttons are similar to those on the PX350 and I reach for the closest lit button instead of the unlit on/off button all of the time.

Located an image that can be enlarged quite a bit:

(Click to enlarge)

I don't think the color scheme looks any worse than the Yamaha MO or the Motif XS:

#2023265 - 01/29/13 05:13 AM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: o0Ampy0o]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
From the stage angle (backside) it looks decent enough.

Nah its a shocker from there as well .....

Quote:
I don't think the color scheme looks any worse than the Yamaha MO or the Motif XS:

Yeah but they are just plain and boring ...not hideously and offensively ugly like the PX-5S ... but don't just go on the pictures and videos because in the flesh it looks even worse.

#2023294 - 01/29/13 06:43 AM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: anotherscott]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: anotherscott
Even if it was only making it all black that would already do a lo of good IMHO.

Anything but all black! One of the worst things about the PX3 (and even worse on the black PX330) was that it was very difficult to quickly and reliably operate their black-on-black panels on a stage (or any environment without optimum lighting). The new design is a welcome functional improvement there.

Function over form!

Casio seems to get "hands-on market research", "function over form" and "value for money". Perhaps they should make the PX5S even uglier to make sure it stands out and to bring the point home.... For example, thrifty retail stores such as ALDI have even found that their sales go down the nicer they make their stores look. A good looking store with labour-intensively mirrored shelves just doesn't match the idea of cheap. For many purchase decisions, the perception of a "good deal" unconsciously relies on picking up on cues that indicate that less money was obviously "wasted" on aesthetics or superficial, in-the-way of usability design.

At under 750 euros "self import" price, this board would seem to be destined to become the must have, good value, it does what you want it to do, ugly little keyboard you can't resist buying.

#2023312 - 01/29/13 07:48 AM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In the meantime many firms have grown really big with form over function marketing, whilst others who purely stuck to the function no-nonsens approach have faltered. Design IS an important part of the product as a whole these days - at least it will help boost sales a little more.

I agree that in basis the feature set and functional implementation of these features should be done well. But then the finishing step should still be design (actually it should be part of the whole product development process - you can't disconnect these two concepts).

Casio doesn't seem to care and due to the low price they will indeed sell anyway; but would it do any harm to have someone with a good eye and sense for classy design details have a say in the product development at Casio ? I doubt it would make these products much more expensive.

Maybe next year...

#2023326 - 01/29/13 08:41 AM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: JFP]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I doubt it would make these products much more expensive.

Maybe next year...

With this one I actually think it cost them MORE money to make it ugly then it would have to make it nice .... It's almost like they deliberately tried to make it as cheap and nasty looking as they could or ... Whoever designed it had absolutely no taste and neither did their guide dog.

#2023357 - 01/29/13 09:52 AM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
My only complaint is that it would be nice if they silk screened the raised lettering on the back connector labels in a contrasting color. I don't read Braille.

#2023362 - 01/29/13 09:59 AM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Kbeaumont]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kbeaumont
My only complaint is that it would be nice if they silk screened the raised lettering on the back connector labels in a contrasting color. I don't read Braille.

Yeah... the jacks are labeled on top, but if the board is on the bottom of a two-tier stack, and you're trying to wire it up from the back in less than ideal lighting, forget it.

But the funny thing is, from looking at the sonicstate video, the Audio In jack is nicely labeled on the back! That makes it even more odd that the other jacks aren't similarly labeled.

#2023368 - 01/29/13 10:18 AM Re: Thank you Mike Martin for the PX5S [Re: Rhodie73]
Mike_Martin Offline

Guys, the unit we had at NAMM was not final some of the labeling will change. They're all labeled on top. I'll confirm what will be done on the back.

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Break Free" by Ariana Grande on Piano
by Zach Evans
09/23/14 06:37 PM
V-Grand delivery on Friday!
by TonyB
09/23/14 06:36 PM
Kawai CE220 CA65 cabinet vibrations
by origen
09/23/14 04:43 PM
Baldwin 243 for Grade 4 students - Advice please!
by LeslieG
09/23/14 04:39 PM
Exorcist movie main theme
by Danijelcro
09/23/14 12:03 PM
Who's Online
150 registered (A Guy, accordeur, 36251, 47 invisible), 1394 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76297 Members
42 Forums
157714 Topics
2316611 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission