2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Been practicing and playing it with the new swindle, and I think it's gonna work. But the reason I'm bringing it back up is, I have an amendment on it. grin

For the second squiggle, i.e. the mordent on the high A-flat, I'm trying 3 instead of 4 on the Ab, so the fingering up there is 3432 rather than 4543. It has disadvantages but I think the advantages outweigh them.

Really? Only on the 2nd and not the 1st? I tend to do it the other way around when I do play the 343.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
After years of study experimentation and consultation I have found that the opening octave of this piece is best played using 1-5 in both hands. (This is at least as important/interesting as many of the recent posts on this thread.)

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
After years of study experimentation and consultation I have found that the opening octave of this piece is best played using 1-5 in both hands. (This is at least as important/interesting as many of the recent posts on this thread.)

1-5 in the LH instead of 5-1 ???? Now THAT'S interesting !!! grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

How is this important?

I think he's just pulling our chains there. ha

And BTW that thing about the first chord is basically a subset of the age-old debate of "4th or 5th finger on black-key octaves?"

Everyone has his/her own answer, plus in general "the state of the art" comes and goes in fads and waves.

Current fad/state of the art: Dunno, I've lost track. ha

My view for me: It depends and varies according to context.
For those opening octaves of this piece: Whichever finger hurts less at the time. grin

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

I use the 4th and 5th fingers on the outer notes. How do you play that next chord?

Originally Posted by Damon
I use the 4th and 5th fingers on the outer notes. How do you play that next chord?

You realize you're risking being told that your post wasn't as interesting as his.... grin

D
D
I was thinking about trying to learn this piece. How brutal is it to learn? It may be beyond my league. I'm to the point of playing Prelude in C sharp minor by Rachmaninov and Prelude in D flat Major Chopin. I think it's about twice the difficulty of those pieces?

Last edited by Dustin Spray; 01/29/13 02:59 AM.
Originally Posted by Dustin Spray
I was thinking about trying to learn this song. How brutal is it to learn? It may be beyond my league. I'm to the point of playing Prelude in C sharp minor by Rachmaninov and Prelude in D flat Major Chopin. I think it's about twice the difficulty of those pieces?

First of all, let me apologize in advance for anyone who gets on your case for calling it a "song"! (We have some snobs about that.)

That said, anyone who calls this piece a song probably isn't advanced enough to play it. grin

But that shouldn't stop you from giving it a try and seeing what you can make of it! smile

BTW, it's not twice as hard as those other pieces. It's 1000 times as hard!
I'm serious. It's much harder.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I was thinking about trying to learn this song. How brutal is it to learn? It may be beyond my league. I'm to the point of playing Prelude in C sharp minor by Rachmaninov and Prelude in D flat Major Chopin. I think it's about twice the difficulty of those pieces?

First of all, let me apologize in advance for anyone who gets on your case for calling it a "song"! (We have some snobs about that.)

That said, anyone who calls this piece a song probably isn't advanced enough to play it. grin

But that shouldn't stop you from giving it a try and seeing what you can make of it! smile

I'm serious. It's much harder.

Since DS is evidently planning to sing this "song," it may be only 500 times more difficult than the other works in his repertoire, particularly if he is singing those "songs" too.

Regards,
[One of the Snobs]

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

First of all, let me apologize in advance for anyone who gets on your case for calling it a "song"! (We have some snobs about that.)That said, anyone who calls this piece a song probably isn't advanced enough to play it. grin

Snobbery has nothing to do with it. It's just plain wrong. smile

Sure, he can give it a try - but I'd strongly recommend instead that he take a look at the Military Polonaise Opus 40 No. 1 or the Polonaise Opus 40 No. 2 - both of which are worth learning and fun to play.

Well maybe 100 times as hard....... grin

Last edited by carey; 01/29/13 03:06 AM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Originally Posted by BruceD
Since DS is evidently planning to sing this "song," it may be only 500 times more difficult than the other works in his repertoire.

Regards,
[One of the Snobs]

It depends. For me, it would be 500 times harder to try to sing anything than to play it on the piano. ha

Maybe not. Let's see how it would be to sing this piece....

BUH!!!
buh da da da da da DA!!
bum....bum.....bum
buh da da da buh da da da buh da da da buh da da da buh da da da DA!!

Huh....maybe it's not so hard to sing after all. grin

BY THE WAY -- would you believe, never in all my life did I realize (consciously) how the L.H. octave thing in the middle is derived from the opening, till I wrote out the "buh da da da" above. smile

QUESTION: Who DID realize it? Anybody?

P.S. Let's see how long it takes for Pianoloverus to say how uninteresting this is. grin

D
D
I apoligize and thank you for correcting me. I was totally in the wrong and I edited my post. blush I have always loved this piece and have wanted to play it. I knew it was a difficult but didnt know it was that difficult. eek I played thru the first 2 or 3 pages a few years ago, but thats probably the easier sections. Maybe the Chopin book should go back into the filing cabnet for a few more years......... frown

Oh no!!! Now we have people apologizing for saying "song"? grin

(Hey Dustin, it's all good!)

I played thru the first 2 or 3 pages a few years ago, but thats probably the easier sections.

The first page is probably as hard as anything else in the piece.

D
D
Military Polonaise Op 40 is a grand piece maybe I will consider that. Like I said I fumbled thru the first 2 or 3 pages. I just didnt dedicate any serious time to them. Im just starting piano again after a near 13 year hiatus. I started in 8th grade and played all the way thru high school and got busy with life. I was thinking a few weeks ago about all the fond memories I had thru high school playing piano. So two weeks I went out and bought a Kawai CA65. I am thrilled with it and cant stop playing it. I live in a apt so a real piano may be a trick. I was hoping to re-kindle the fire with the Kawai digital and look into something different if and when I move. Anyways, thanks for all the constructive feedback and I am grateful for such a wonderful forum.

-Dustin

Military Polonaise Op 40 is a grand piece maybe I will consider that. Like I said I fumbled thru the first 2 or 3 pages. I just didnt dedicate any serious time to them. Im just starting piano again after a near 13 year hiatus. I started in 8th grade and played all the way thru high school and got busy with life. I was thinking a few weeks ago about all the fond memories I had thru high school playing piano. So two weeks I went out and bought a Kawai CA65. I am thrilled with it and cant stop playing it. I live in a apt so a real piano may be a trick. I was hoping to re-kindle the fire with the Kawai digital and look into something different if and when I move. Anyways, thanks for all the constructive feedback and I am grateful for such a wonderful forum.

And we're thrilled for you !!!! So good that you are getting back to playing !!! Enjoy your new digital and, above all, have fun !!!!

Last edited by carey; 01/29/13 03:27 AM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Heroic polonaise? I love that song.

Originally Posted by JoelW

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Damon

If you mean the rising 16ths, I've done it two ways: with one hand (the right), and split. When I split, I actually play the top two notes of each chord with my right hand, and the bottom chromatic note with my left.

And I apologize if I missed a joke. Sometimes I don't quite catch the subtlety when it's written out. smile

PS- I would think singing this song would be much harder than playing it. Especially since one person has to sing more than one pitch.. wink

PSS-
Originally Posted by carey
Sure, he can give it a try - but I'd strongly recommend instead that he take a look at the Military Polonaise Opus 40 No. 1 or the Polonaise Opus 40 No. 2 - both of which are worth learning and fun to play.

I vote for Op 40 No 2. I love the military, but no2 is great fun. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
D
D
Originally Posted by JoelW

Thats what I was taking about all along! wink

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission