2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by boyonahil

The Yamaha M5J was sold some time ago, so keeping that is no option. Yes I like Yamaha, well I'm sort of a fanboy, but I will make sure to try some other brands before I commit to any purchase. I will probably, like the last time, buy a used piano to minimize the price and loss if I change my mind.

Adding to that my next acoustic piano probably will be bought 2014, the earliest,

I don't mean to be harsh, but your comments about being a fanboy and about your philosophy of spending are not helpful in getting a fix on what you want out of a piano - musically. Even if you sold the Yamaha a while ago, and especially if you're a fan of the brand, you should be able to express what you liked about that piano and what you hope your next piano can give you - musically - that the M was unable to deliver.

By 2124, you will have gone a considerable time with no acoustic piano. That, and your comments on spending on yourself, give me a sense that this is to be a trophy purchase, in which case the performance characteristics of the piano chosen may not be the determinant in making the choice.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by turandot
Originally Posted by boyonahil

The Yamaha M5J was sold some time ago, so keeping that is no option. Yes I like Yamaha, well I'm sort of a fanboy, but I will make sure to try some other brands before I commit to any purchase. I will probably, like the last time, buy a used piano to minimize the price and loss if I change my mind.

Adding to that my next acoustic piano probably will be bought 2014, the earliest,

I don't mean to be harsh, but your comments about being a fanboy and about your philosophy of spending are not helpful in getting a fix on what you want out of a piano - musically. Even if you sold the Yamaha a while ago, and especially if you're a fan of the brand, you should be able to express what you liked about that piano and what you hope your next piano can give you - musically - that the M was unable to deliver.

By 2124, you will have gone a considerable time with no acoustic piano. That, and your comments on spending on yourself, give me a sense that this is to be a trophy purchase, in which case the performance characteristics of the piano chosen may not be the determinant in making the choice.

So the performance of a trophy wife / husband is of no importance?

:-)

With my playing ability you bet a Yamaha C3 is a trophy purchase - I'm not ashamed of that or that I've spent most of my life studying and working instead of playing the piano. And if you do a search and read posts on this site you will find that I because of my hearing will do most of my playing at low volume on a digital piano - making the a C3 even more of a show piece, that I nonetheless will enjoy looking at and experience every day.

And even if I hardly can play any songs, I love playing the piano, mostly playing what a kind person would call improvisation. And I do love the sound of a good piano, trying to get a little help from this site finding one.

I hope I will live in 2124, but I'm not sure I will. If I'm dead perhaps I'm playing a CFX in heaven :-)

Current: Yamaha Clavinova
Sold: Yamaha M5J Walnut
Playing ability: Absolute Beginner(s)
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Actually I think it makes perfect sense for someone with modest playing ability to focus mainly on Yamaha. Yamaha make great pianos. Not saying other manufacturers don't but they have a strong reputation for quality and consistency and are one of the best know brands in the industry. Also, if boyonahill was planning to buy a used piano it's likely there will be more yamahas on the market than anything else.

Musically there is a big difference between the MJ5 and a more modern Yamaha U series upright not to mention the C series grands.

I have to say that I own a 12 year old U1 and have always been very happy with it. It gets 20+ hours playing a week by myself and my pupils and has never given me any problems. The sound suits my modest room and the touch is even and easy to control. Not to mention the fact that I bought it six years ago for a bargain price, much cheaper than than the most basic budget upright available at the time.

Pianist and piano teacher.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

With my playing ability you bet a Yamaha C3 is a trophy purchase - I'm not ashamed of that or that I've spent most of my life studying and working instead of playing the piano. And if you do a search and read posts on this site you will find that I because of my hearing will do most of my playing at low volume on a digital piano - making the a C3 even more of a show piece, that I nonetheless will enjoy looking at and experience every day.

And even if I hardly can play any songs, I love playing the piano, mostly playing what a kind person would call improvisation. And I do love the sound of a good piano, trying to get a little help from this site finding one.

Dont misunderstand me. When I wrote on this thread that there are many subjective, even subconscious factors that are VALID determinants in making a decision, I wasn't kidding. There's nothing at all wrong with that, and I'm fairly certain that almost no purely objective decisions are made regarding pianos because even their objective qualities are partly subjective.

Also, level of ability should not be a limitation on the level of piano owned. Everyone is equally entitled to the best he can reasonably prvoide for himself.

It's just that when an inquiring member who asks for advice will not divulge what he actually values musically in a piano, and instead provides information about his life of study and hard work and his philosophy of spending on himslef and on others, there isn't much advice that can be given him from a musical perspective. All that can be said (at least by me) is that everyone is entitled to pursue his own dream and make his decision according to the weighting of his personal objectives. Whatever piano grabs you and sustains your interest will be the right one, but based on the information provided by you, I have no idea what it might be.

In Fine's Pianobuyer, his categories (mistakenly referred to as ratings) are based on price, prestige, and to a certain extent, performance capabilities of the instruments. It's probably a good resource companion for you in the year ahead.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>Actually I think it makes perfect sense for someone with modest playing ability to focus mainly on Yamaha. Yamaha make great pianos.

This sounds to me like "It makes perfect sense to eat only carrots because carrots are healthy".

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Times have changed. Piano designers (and manufacturers) have taken another look at these instruments and the modern small grand piano is often quite nice. Despite what the traditionalist might tell us, there is a growing selection of relatively short—say 175 cm (5’ 9”) and below—grand pianos now available. You may have to look beyond the large, traditional manufacturers to find them, however. And some of them—to cite just one example, the Walter 175—will hold their own against traditional pianos that are significantly longer and larger (and, for that, more expensive).

Here's a another, perfect example of this:

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 01/31/13 12:37 PM.

S
S
Originally Posted by Del
Originally Posted by boyonahill
A big upright Piano like the Yamaha U3 is 131 cm (51 1/2") high.

A small grand like the Yamaha C1 has a depth of 161cm (5'3") (and there are even smaller grands).

The depth measurement for the grands includes the keyboards, so I guess the C1 and U3 have a pretty similar size on their soundboards?.

So, from what size does a grand piano make sense compared to a nice upgright piano like Yamaha U3 or U1? Something like the C1? Or bigger, perhaps like the C3 186cm (6'1")?

It might seem odd to the purely objective observer but, in my experience, at least, most piano buyers do not make their buying decision between grands and verticals purely on the basis of tone performance. If this were the case large vertical pianos would outsell small grand pianos but, at least in the product line I’m most familiar with, they do not.

People buy small grand pianos for a variety of reasons; aesthetics being high among them. Action performance is also high on the list.

Many years back in the bad old days it was true that most small grand pianos—those shorter than, say, 160 cm (5’ 3”)—sounded pretty bad. Their scales were unbalanced and, in a misguided attempt to obtain more “power” excessively massive hammers were used. Not only was the lowest half-octave pretty much useless, the whole bass sections often sounded dull and tubby. The bass-to-tenor transitions were usually rough and uneven sounding. These were, by most every standard, un-musical atrocities that had rightfully earned their somewhat derisive Piano Shaped Object titles.

But, that was then and this is now.

Times have changed. Piano designers (and manufacturers) have taken another look at these instruments and the modern small grand piano is often quite nice. Despite what the traditionalist might tell us, there is a growing selection of relatively short—say 175 cm (5’ 9”) and below—grand pianos now available. You may have to look beyond the large, traditional manufacturers to find them, however. And some of them—to cite just one example, the Walter 175—will hold their own against traditional pianos that are significantly longer and larger (and, for that, more expensive).

As well, there are a growing number of 150 cm (4’ 11”) grand pianos that are earning reputations as credible musical instruments in spite of their diminutive length. And in spite of their often very low prices. There is a growing selection of very nice short grand pianos available for less than $10k. It might pay to broaden your search.

The market has changed and it is no longer accurate to simply write these pianos off solely because of their length.

ddf
Del is spot on. Check some of the reviews of small grands in the Piano Buyer archives. Some of the under 5'0 grands were surprisingly well accepted and consider an excellent value alternative.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by wouter79
>Actually I think it makes perfect sense for someone with modest playing ability to focus mainly on Yamaha. Yamaha make great pianos.

This sounds to me like "It makes perfect sense to eat only carrots because carrots are healthy".

Not really...

More like if you are going to buy a vegetable then why not get a carrot?

Pianist and piano teacher.
Everybody knows Yamaha makes very good pianos, some of them world class and competing with the best there is.

But at lower, entry level type price point, others can and IMHO "are" doing better.

Much better....

It's for consumers to find out which brands and models offer hopefully superior options at that level in today's market, particularly in the 10-15k price range.

Happy hunting.

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 01/31/13 07:09 PM.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission