Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2035376 - 02/18/13 04:56 PM Re: The end of music recording for profit for most everyone? [Re: chrisbell]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: chrisbell
As for the sound quality in iPods, iPhones they are fine; and that's my professional opinion. Sure, it's not vinyl (still sounds best), but for my everyday use they sound great.

As you pointed out, ChrisBell, the topic was (generally) recording; but in my mind, "recording" and "playback" are as inseparable as a basketball and a hoop. And that brings me to my question:

When you professionally evaluate the sound quality of iPods and iPhones as "fine", and as "they sound great", are you actually asserting that the amplification, and the "speakers" within these devices produce a realistic musical sound?

Ed

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2035392 - 02/18/13 05:27 PM Re: The end of music recording for profit for most everyone? [Re: LoPresti]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted By: LoPresti
When you professionally evaluate the sound quality of iPods and iPhones as "fine", and as "they sound great", are you actually asserting that the amplification, and the "speakers" within these devices produce a realistic musical sound?
Not sure what you mean with "a realistic sound". As soon as music is recorded it goes from being realistic to being approximated. When I feel an urge for realistic, I go to a concert or a jazz club . . .

They are loud enough for my ears and sound great whatever I play on them; orchestral, jazz, piano solo, etc. I prefer a non-coloured sound so I use the new in-ear plugs from Apple.

Edited by chrisbell (02/18/13 05:29 PM)

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#2035404 - 02/18/13 05:45 PM Re: The end of music recording for profit for most everyone? [Re: chrisbell]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
They are loud enough for my ears and sound great whatever I play on them . . .

I am refering to fidelity, not loudness. Do they sound like you are right in the room with the orchestra, or the jazz combo, or . . . ?

Why am I explaining this to a professional?

#2035413 - 02/18/13 06:05 PM Re: The end of music recording for profit for most everyone? [Re: LoPresti]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted By: LoPresti
They are loud enough for my ears and sound great whatever I play on them . . .

I am refering to fidelity, not loudness. Do they sound like you are right in the room with the orchestra, or the jazz combo, or . . . ? Why am I explaining this to a professional?
Mainly because we're not sitting in the same room talking, I don't hear your voice, intonation, etc. And as we are on different continents with a different command of English I like to be really clear what we are talking about.

Fidelity has all to do with the production; good production equals = good sound.
Great mix, great room/hall = great sound.
What one needs then is speakers, monitors or ear-phones/plugs that can replicate faithfully that production. And as all these iThingies come with the ability to EQ the end product to ones hearts content.

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#2035461 - 02/18/13 07:53 PM Re: The end of music recording for profit for most everyone? [Re: theJourney]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
A pop artist named Beck Hansen recently produced an album but didn't record it. He turned it into a book of high quality sheet music. 20 songs total. He wanted to give back to the music community in a different way. Music fans all over the world produced their own videos of these songs. It's seems to have turned into a big hit. I'd be curious as to the sales of his book. I bought it and it was a steal for twenty something dollars.

#2035596 - 02/19/13 12:56 AM Re: The end of music recording for profit for most everyone? [Re: theJourney]
erichlof Offline

Payment for the original artist is about to get even worse:

http://singularityhub.com/2013/02/16/wil...that-direction/

Amazon will probably end up taking the remaining profits of used .mp3 sales. The original artist will get a small cut of the first initial sale, but probably not from subsequent 'used' resales.

To answer the OP's original question: yes.

#2035639 - 02/19/13 02:24 AM Re: The end of music recording for profit for most everyone? [Re: erichlof]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: erichlof

Amazon will probably end up taking the remaining profits of used .mp3 sales. The original artist will get a small cut of the first initial sale, but probably not from subsequent 'used' resales.

So, it would seem that the chances to " make it big " in the music business which were slim in the beginning have now become almost astronomically tiny.

Recorded music is everywhere and is getting cheaper and easier to access by the day.

At the same time, recent psychological research indicates that human happiness is often most positively impacted by anticipating, enjoying and reflecting on shared "experiences" rather than from buying "things".

http://psychcentral.com/news/2012/01/27/...ness/34167.html

There is also a movement under foot that craves natural, authentic, organic, real, live, etc.

So, it would seem that musicians, particularly classical musicians, need to focus on providing accessible, differentiated, meaningful, memorable, perhaps even spiritually uplifting live performance experiences to a (local) audience.

As the fastest-growing religion in most Western nations is " none ", many people also no longer avail themselves of the healing power of coming together to sing in a group every week. Combining musical performances with the opportunity to make music together could be just the kind of niche waiting to be filled. For example, the so-called " mee-zing concerten " (sing-along concerts) where the audience takes the role of the choir have been wildly successful in the Netherlands. http://www.meezingconcerten.nl/Inc/Home.php#.USMn0KU4vK8

The Dutch football hero Johann Cruijff had a saying " Every disadvantage brings an advantage." What kinds of advantages do local musicians have and what are the new kinds of opportunities that are appearing on the horizon? These could be exciting times for all.

#2035640 - 02/19/13 02:27 AM Re: The end of music recording for profit for most everyone? [Re: erichlof]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia

I saw this, too, and I think it is an abomination. There is no reason for this, except that Amazon wants to cut out everyone except itself. When someone can point me to the difference in quality between a new eMedia product, and a used eMedia product (whether book, track, etc), I might be inclined to understand why this patent was granted. Until then, absolutely not.

And it is atrocious that the artist will not get a cut. I can see Amazon "limiting production," so first-users will pay a premium for content. Then, as they resell the content, it becomes available only through used content, and on a first-come, first-served basis. (Or worse, a bidding/auction war to get the "rights" to read the content.)

Great money-making scheme on Amazon's part. Horrible for every other person on the planet.

One more reason I don't use or support Amazon or its products. Ever.

#2035644 - 02/19/13 02:43 AM Re: The end of music recording for profit for most everyone? [Re: erichlof]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The idea is so offensive to common sense that I thought it was satire for the first few paragraphs...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
10/24/14 09:54 PM
Who's Online
71 registered (ARamadan, Auver, Banshee, BB Player, 21 invisible), 1084 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158486 Topics
2327455 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission