2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hi

Just looking to gain suggestions about what convolution reverb type should be used for a solo piano album, (slow piano soundtrack type) I've taken examples from other piano works and the spectrum is wide ranging from small rooms, concert halls to recording studios. I no it's a case of personal preference but in general what is the standard environment for recording solo piano.

Without music life would be a mistake.
If you are looking for fantastic convolution reverb the Quantum Leap Spaces is highly spoken of.

http://www.soundsonline.com/Spaces

There are videos on their site with reverb/bypassing it, audio demos, and a 10 day trial version before you buy. Sure it's expensive but it's fantastic.

I can't recommend one preset over another, but switching between them, I always tend to gravitate toward the studio/stage presets. My setup uses the REVerence convolution reverb developed by Steinberg, but I do hope to upgrade to Spaces one day.

www.soundcloud.com/btrailblazer

Cable-Nelson upright piano, Casio WK-200, Mackie MR5MK2 monitors, Cubase Artist 7, Steinberg's The Grand 3, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface, Asus R500a-RS52 Windows 8, i5-3230M 2.6 gHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD (5400RPM)
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Bane,

Ever since I discovered the Dutch Hall of REVerence, it's the only verb I use.

!

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I use Spaces. Can't go wrong.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I was using the Waves Convolution and was surprised that the REVerence which came with my DAW was so nice.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I use a Eventide H8000 preset 141 for solo piano in a ballad.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Hi emenelton,

REVerence actually isn't in my version of Cubase, cause I have Artist, so I use the version that's built into the Grand 3. Fewer presets (no Dutch Hall) but it's still the same thing with limited functionality. Still what I've heard from users of Spaces and REVerence is that the former is far superior.

www.soundcloud.com/btrailblazer

Cable-Nelson upright piano, Casio WK-200, Mackie MR5MK2 monitors, Cubase Artist 7, Steinberg's The Grand 3, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface, Asus R500a-RS52 Windows 8, i5-3230M 2.6 gHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD (5400RPM)
Convolution is the big buzz today. I score for film and arrange/produce. Lexicon has the most honest, transparent reverbs IMO. I've tried many including all the built-ins from Steinberg and Logic. Waves are pretty good. BUT, once you really dig into Lexicon, you'll never use much else. The PCM native would set you up well. For your solo piano, I'd start with the ROOM verb and dial up the 'ambiance' setting. Their verbs are just beautiful and strong. Cheers!

Last edited by RBMusik; 01/30/13 12:08 AM.

RB

S
S
Originally Posted by RBMusik
Convolution is the big buzz today. I score for film and arrange/produce. Lexicon has the most honest, transparent reverbs IMO. I've tried many including all the built-ins from Steinberg and Logic. Waves are pretty good. BUT, once you really dig into Lexicon, you'll never use much else. The PCM native would set you up well. For your solo piano, I'd start with the ROOM verb and dial up the 'ambiance' setting. Their verbs are just beautiful and strong. Cheers!

This is confusing. Lexicon are algorithmic, not convolution. Lexicon definitely set the standard for larger-than-life algorithmic reverbs, but if realism is your goal, stick with convolution using impulses measured in real spaces. My preference is for a darker sounding medium hall.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Smaug
[quote=RBMusik] My preference is for a darker sounding medium hall.

You might be spending too much time in the cave of 'The Lonely Mountain' smile

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the feedback, much noted.

Without music life would be a mistake.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by emenelton
Originally Posted by Smaug
[quote=RBMusik] My preference is for a darker sounding medium hall.

You might be spending too much time in the cave of 'The Lonely Mountain' smile

Lmao !

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Sorry you're confused. I understand Lex is not a convo verb. What I intend to say is that I'd employ a Lex verb over many convo. i wouldn't agree that their verbs are all "larger than life". the setting I suggested is actually pretty subtle. If the instrument is well recorded, just look to VERY slightly enhance instead of place it in another environment. This is what ambiance does IMO.

RB

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission