Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 154 of 228 < 1 2 ... 152 153 154 155 156 ... 227 228 >
Topic Options
#2086618 - 05/22/13 07:40 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Allard]
Happy Birthday casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Allard
Yay, Cheryl and SwissMS will be (sight-)playing a duet first smile

Allard, you have SUCH a good imagination smile

But who knows.....lol

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2086849 - 05/22/13 02:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Originally Posted By: Allard
JimF - can't you take your shoes off at the recital? A little weird, I know ^^

Yes I guess I could....LOL....but I'm trying to feel LESS abnormal in front of a crowd. Somehow drawing attention to myself with public shoe removal seems like I would be pretending to be relaxed...which is pretty funny grin Maybe I should also loosen my belt, unbutton a couple of shirt buttons, and roll up my sleeves in a real show of bravura wink
Heck, I'll just take it all off and give em a real show!! blush

Estonia L190 #7284

#2087181 - 05/23/13 06:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Saranoya Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Ugh ... Once again, it's been way too long. But then, I haven't had much to report on since the last time I was here.

Yesterday's lesson was sort of cool though, in a way. I have my piano exam in two weeks. I'll be playing two pieces (one of the Griegs that I'm working on, and then one of the Burgmüllers). I was playing the Grieg for my teacher when I suddenly lost my vision. Kept playing, and when I was done, she said "that was perfect".

Sadly, the Burgmüller was not that much of a success, while 'flying blind'. But at least I know what to work on now, in order to truly master that piece, too. And my teacher gave me some helpful pointers on how to deal with the really tricky spots.

Have I said that my teacher is awesome? Because she is.

Originally Posted By: warlock214
I was nervous and started to bomb but recovered and finished good per my instructor!!

I realise I'm coming very late to this, and the recital experience might be ancient history to you by now, but: congratulations! You started to bomb, but recovered? That's even better than not bombing at all!

Originally Posted By: SideShow
Anyway, I'm thrilled about the fact that I finally found a way to do some trilling, which is not with finger 2 + 3 (I tried for years) but with fingers 1 + 3

See, I, for one, can't do 1+3 trilling to save my life. I've tried many times wink. But I guess, in the end, what it comes down to is that we all have to find whatever works for *us*. I'm glad you did.

Originally Posted By: Ataru074
I'm still speechless... we started working together 2 months ago and he already made me learn more than I did learn by myself in the last year... I was totally stuck at a plateau and he just pulled me out in less than 10 lessons.

This is exactly why I always tell people asking for advice on how to learn the piano here: get a teacher. A good one. A good teacher is worth their weight in gold. Congratulations on having found a keeper!

Originally Posted By: IreneAdler
I felt so connected to the music for the duration of the piece, completely obsorbed in it.

That sounds heavenly, Irene. And I think it's when we get to this stage with our pieces that 'real music' results. We should all strive to get where you got with the Prelude in C major.

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
I perceive my pauses as much, much longer than they actually are.

And your mistakes as much more glaring, right? laugh Congratulations on this momentous discovery. Now do something with it!

This is something I've known about, through my own recordings, for a while now, but so far it hasn't led to me having an easier time making a recording of myself (or playing in front of someone, which is basically the same thing).

Originally Posted By: JimF
Two pages of nothing but trills, all fingers, both hands.

Quite a workout, indeed. I do not think I could do it (or perhaps I should say: find the motivation to do it). Nice going!

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
I guess all the polyrhythms in the Arabesque and Liszt Consolation #3 are paying off.

That's a very encouraging thought. I have sometimes wondered how much of the skill we acquire practicing one particular piece is really transferrable. I guess I haven't been at it long enough to experience this first-hand. So thank you for sharing! wink

Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
I started on Canon in D around week 46 so it is 15 weeks working on my level one arrangement.

Yay for persistence!

Originally Posted By: Barnie
Highlight of my week was finally nailing measures 27-34 in Jennifer Eklund's "Reflections".

Congratulations! It is so awesome when something that's been eluding you for weeks suddenly just 'clicks'!

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Very nice lesson today [...] It was good fun.

And isn't that the most important thing of all? smile Good for you, Cheryl!

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
This was a definite AOTW, as I attempted it about eight weeks ago and could not get past the first measure it was so foreign to me.

Sounds quite astounding. You must have been working hard on building lasting skill in those eight weeks, playing other things!

Originally Posted By: TwoSnowFlakes
but the rhythm was odd (11 notes RH played evenly over 4 notes in the LH) so I kept kind of tensing up when it would be coming up, and then just brain cramp and blow it. But I got it! Let's see if I can demonstrate it at tomorrow's lesson!

Sounds like a huge achievement to me! I've been struggling with something similar in a Chopin Waltz I'm trying to beat into submission (but maybe it's just too early for me to try to tackle a Chopin Waltz ... we shall see). Congrats on getting back to the piano after that long of a hiatus, by the way!

Originally Posted By: Toastie
I'm finding it doesn't take so long to learn the pieces in my book now. That was the achievement.

Nice! It's one of those gifts that will keep on giving as you progress along the path of learning to play the piano wink.

Originally Posted By: joyoussong
For the past couple of weeks I've been learning to play scales in contrary direction - not too difficult for CM, GM & DM. I've also been learning to play them a third apart - C was pretty easy, G took a bit longer, but last week when I tried D, I got it the first time!! I amazed myself! But I don't think I want to try F#M for a while.

I am always in awe of the folks who can do scales at all, let alone competently. They bore me! I guess I'll have to get to them some day, though.

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
And, what do you know - I could play them pretty well. I would wager it was better than I did three years ago after practicing each of them for a week or do. I love how my reading has improved!

That's awesome, Andy! I'm jealous of you. Here's to hoping I will be able to post a similar achievement a year or two from now.

Originally Posted By: Whizbang
First time -performing- in a ragtime festival

Congrats on your first festival performance! Must have felt good to survive that wink.

Originally Posted By: Palmpirate
I played one of the studies I've been doing, a czerny something, and he picked up on my weaknesses the same way as my previous teacher so I know we are on the same wavelength.

Three cheers for having found a teacher with whom things 'click'! And who cares about his age? My music theory teacher is about the same age as my youngest brother. To me, my brother is still 'the baby' of the family. But I don't see my music teacher in that light at all.

Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
So it has been a relatively low gear for me. It is not any slower now than before, even if it feels that way.

It may be relatively slow, but at least you're keeping at it. So many others in your position (feeling as if their progress is unsatisfactory) would have given up already. *I* almost gave up, three months ago, for this exact reason.

But here you are, and you just keep plugging away. I say again: yay for persistence!

Originally Posted By: ElleC
Maybe it's just me... but, polishing this score can really be so frustrating!

A while back, on this thread (it may have been before you got here), we talked about the Pareto Principle as applied to learning piano: ninety percent of the effort, when learning a piece, goes into ten percent of the improvements. You get to 'reasonable approximation of what this *should* sound like' relatively quickly. But to get from there to 'I'm proud of this' ... that's a different bag of chips. So keep at it. I'm sure you'll get there before you know it! And yay for the lightbulb moment!

Originally Posted By: rnaple
I actually overcame multiple problems with computer and sound to post my first ever recording to Ecco Fatto. And Ecco Fatto describes it perfectly!

Congrats on overcoming technical and confidence hurdles alike, and actually posting your first recording, rnaple!

/me makes a note to go listen to it some time soon. Sorry! I've been neglecting PW somewhat, lately!

Originally Posted By: Whizbang
It's all kind of blurring together now, but if this is something folks would be interested in hearing about, I could start a thread.

Please do! Unless you already have, and I just missed it.

Originally Posted By: UK Paul UK
Its the little things that make me smile.

This. This is the achievement that beats them all: smiling about the little things. Sometimes we forget.

Originally Posted By: JimF
I'm glad we do these little rehearsals. It definitely takes some of the edge off my pre-recital anxiety.

It does sound like a good idea. And it sounds like you did pretty well, so yay for that. Also: I always take off my shoes when playing the piano, because my leg is too heavy to lift when I'm wearing shoes, and I can't move my ankles, so I *have* to lift my entire leg. I do it at recitals and exams, too. If people can't live with that, it's their problem, not mine.

Originally Posted By: Ragdoll
She showed me an excellent tip on a way to help with this and I'm very anxious/excited to try this out this week.

Sounds like you're hitting it off with your teacher now. Good for you!

I am hoping to play chopsticks without falling apart!

Glad to hear it, 'cause that makes two of us wink.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2087189 - 05/23/13 06:55 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
Hi all,
My company opened a kind of "artists contest" for the employees. They will give some travel vouchers to the winners, so, I think I'm going to enter in the music category (even thinking that my company has 10,000 employees...)
You may ask: "Is this a AOW?" - Oh yes, because I'm not a competitive guy by nature, but I decide to enter in the contest, even knowing that my chances are low.

So, I just have to send a 3 minutes (home) video to try to pass to the second phase - it's a kind of preliminary phase -. The deadline is 26/april, and I've decided that I'm going to send 3 minutes of INDACO - Ludovico Einaudi (I remember your comments on my ABF Recital nº26. Thanks again!).

I don't know if this is a "true" AOW, but I wanted to share my decision with you, and I'd love to know what do you think about it.

About the contest:
The contest has only 2 phases. Only 3 competitors can pass the preliminary phase on each category (music, dance, and representation). Then each one will make a professional video and the video will be voted by all the employees. The video with more votes, it's the winner.

Some updates:
The rules were changed due the different quality of videos in contest (some were professional videos, others were homemade videos - like mine). The jury doesn't want to reject a competitor based on the (less good) quality of the video, so they decided to do an extra step to find the finalists. The extra step is restricted for those who had "good performances" and... I'm in the group smile
So, I will present my version of "Indaco" next 15Jun in Lisbon, live, in front of the jury. Let's see what happens next.

I just have to decide what to play: "my" Albert Hall version (ABF recital #26), or the original version. Any opinion?

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2087261 - 05/23/13 09:56 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
warlock214 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
My AOTW was the English Folk Song. I played it cheerfully and with correct dynamics too. The dynamics have been giving me fits but this song I've actually done a better job at expressing the dynamics.

Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1

#2087277 - 05/23/13 10:31 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: warlock214]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
CarlosCC - Congratulations being making the first cut selection! That is really an accomplishment. I would play the version that fills your heart the most. That will let you be the most expressive. Good luck and keep us posted!

#2087285 - 05/23/13 10:38 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
CarlosCC thanks for the update. We are all rooting for you. I vote for the recital arrangement, because you are likely more comfortable with that. With the nerves that usually come with a live performance, the more comfort the better.

#2087290 - 05/23/13 10:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
I just have to decide what to play: "my" Albert Hall version (ABF recital #26), or the original version. Any opinion?

No clue - but awesome! Congratulations!

Kawai K3

#2087693 - 05/23/13 11:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
JimF -- whatever you decide to do about shoes, DO NOT try to play while wearing hiking boots! (Tried this at a lesson once.) Oh, and don't try it like the baby, either. I think you have to be under 2 years old to get away with that. blush

Saranoya -- that had to have taken some high-level concentration, to keep playing while having your vision fail. It sounds like you're going to nail that piece when you perform it. Good luck on the exam!

CarlosCC -- that's awesome news! I read that a good way to make a choice is to flip a coin. Well, there's just a little bit more to it than that. Or have a computer flip the coin for you, and take part in an experiment.

This past week I've been working on expression, dynamics choices in particular, applying it to two Chopin Preludes. My teacher, who is usually stingy with praise, complimented my playing on both of them! Is he getting soft, or am I actually starting to get this? For the next two weeks I have to work on (the more difficult for me) tempo changes and rubato.

#2087777 - 05/24/13 05:50 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Marybee - Thanks for the sugestion smile , but I've decided to play the version that I'm more comfortable - I agree with SwissMS and Sand Tiger -.
Congratulations for your progress with the preludes!

Sand Tiger - "With the nerves that usually come with a live performance(...)"
Well, my mindset is to do a "good practice session" in front of the jury. smile I'm usually a relaxed guy.
And the true is that I'll have to trust my memory just because I didn't write a single line of "my " version. So, I think it's time to start working!

SwissMS - Yes, I'll keep posting the updates. It's important to me to have your kind support. Thank you.

CarlosCC records

#2087801 - 05/24/13 07:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

I'm out of synch again! argh.

Carlos - that is SO GREAT! I can't wait to hear the results of the next phase!

more later! It's a hectic day today!

#2087818 - 05/24/13 08:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Andy Platt and casinitaly, thanks!
It's a strange sensation because I only sent a video with a "slice" of INDACO (3:00min in 05:55min) and I wasn't expecting to be selected. Somehow, they select it.

CarlosCC records

#2088456 - 05/25/13 07:57 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
In reality, it is difficult for me to get excited because it is a serious love affair with the piano - so you want the love affair to go well.

It is awesome though to just sit down and put your fingers on the keys and play - anything small or bigger than small, simple or not so simple pieces. I am trying to squeeze in a daily routine of working with scales apart from those scales mentioned in the John Thompson method book I am working through. Generally all the tunes/pieces are nice to play - but then I love playing anything so I guess I am not really saying much for others to know or undersand.

Swans on the lake has an impressive title but what is nice is that it is easy to play and so it is easy to play it smoothly - but playing smoothly is always difficulty at the best of times.

The Robin is nice for the ears but I go crazy when I have to move a hand - in this case the left hand - an octave to play a measure or two and then back to the original hand position. It is not that I can't do it, but hand moving doesn't help the playing of the piece smoothly.

The Chimes piece is a descending scale of C major which is fun to play - but only after you have learned the piece because you have switch from the rh - right hand and the lf - left hand all the way through the piece even though it is all written in the treble clef.

Stepping stones is the first pieces that was very moving to hear and play. The slower you play it, the nicer it sounds. The only thing I don't like is playing two treble clefs in one staff - so let me explain - I have to play a treble clef for the right hand and a treble clef for the left hand.

The Fairies' Harp is always difficult to play for a million reasons. I have to start playing broken chords all through the 50 measures. Half the measures you are playing hand over hand - or - left hand over right hand up an octave and back to the previous octave. So I am always trying to improve on my traveling time as my hand travels in mid air looking for a smooth landing one octave higher up on the piano.

The nicest piece I have learned is called The Knight and the Lady.

I actually got excited about the next piece but the excitement died minutes after playing the first measure. The excitement was after playing for a year - year and a half - this was the first piece that had a famous name attached to it, Mozart- "air" from Mozart. There was a comment on the page printed "Mozart was the most musical boy that ever lived." It took me many weeks - four or five just to be able to play it without mistakes and it was only 16 measures - 3 sharps.

My daily routine is that I play all the pieces I have learned in the book up to this point as a way of always improving my playing of them but the last 2 or 3 pieces I have learned - I spend more time because they are freshly new and need extra attention to increase their smoothness. So everyday I start by playing the 28 pieces so it effectively sight reading the stuff I have learned because I can only play the piano if I read the music Because it is a method book I am working through, everything in the book is a technique that must be learned well and reviewed. By playing the 28 pieces non-stop, it helps be build my ability to play almost an hour - but if I start making mistakes - I run from the piano for another time because it is a waste of time to play when you are tired. So it is always good being at the piano - no matter how rough the journey - because you are making music.

Edited by Michael_99 (05/25/13 08:04 AM)

#2088518 - 05/25/13 11:36 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
CarlosCC - Have fun! Congratulations!

warlock214 - congratulations to you, too. Playing "cheerfully" is no small accomplishment - it's way too easy to be ponderous, and to be able to play lightly and upbeat is wonderful.

JimF - I bet you wish you were still as cute as that baby smile What happens to all of us - we all start out that cute, but something goes awry laugh

Michael 99 - Mozart! I love Mozart. Congratulations on getting there, and many happy moments with Mozart.

Cathy

#2088997 - 05/26/13 03:36 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I love camping in the city because I can leave a window open that is screened so I don't get the West Nile virus and criminals can't climb in while I am sleeping. It is awesome to smell the cool fresh air of the morning when you awake. Spoiled, of course, because I can crawl out of bed and play the piano. Through the open window, I can hear - not the sounds of wild animals, but the sounds of wild night people finding their way in the darkness of the city. I love the city. I grew up in northern Canada. It was great but I like the sounds of the city at any time of the day or night.

And what got me excited was that I didn't have to carry a digital piano and a generator into the bush to be able to play a piano in the morning! So life is good - very good - playing music on any piano - in the city.

Edited by Michael_99 (05/26/13 03:42 AM)

#2089007 - 05/26/13 04:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
Well, after I got going with piano again at the beginning of this year, I've only had time (work and family mainly) for about an average of 20min a day at the keys frown The other day I found time for over one hour! I accomplished so much! It almost breaks my spirit knowing I won't get many of those sessions in the near future, but I will plug away and adjust my expectations and goals accordingly and hope for better times ahead.... smirk

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

#2089296 - 05/26/13 04:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
almost 3 months and I think Prelude in Em is finally decent enough to record. I can finally move on! Starting my Grieg piece today and River Flows in You.

#2089351 - 05/26/13 05:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
My AOTW....I advised OperaColorado to do a: Les Miserables Opera.
They might take up the idea?

I went to Denver this weekend to see the North American Tour of Les Miserables. I confess that I was not impressed. I paid over $100 for one seat. Just to have a stack of PA speakers right in front of me. Blaring a mixture of a recording, live singing, and a small orchestra live. I paid for quality. I did not get that quality.
So...on my drive home. Takes 6 hours. I can't help but be constructive. I thought up the idea of Opera doing Les Miserables. If they do what is going through my mind. They will create a splash in the live arts/theatre industry. Think of how Andre Bocelli does dynamic range. You'll get the idea. Also, when it comes to the chorus...if they get seven Opera singers out there...They won't need no 500 person chorus in the background.

I was impressed with the theatre. I wasn't sure when I booked. Only generic map of the theatre. I ended up in the second row from the stage. Small Orchestra under floor level between me and the stage. My eyes were almost at knee level for the people on stage. It was a beautiful seat. Looking around. All the seats were beautiful. The place is built up and "over" the stage. I had a very intimate seat with the stage. Could see everything great. If it were not for a stack of PA speakers 15 feet in front and to the right of me...Doh!
I won't criticise the performers. I couldn't hear themselves well enough.

All in all I had a good time. Donated to the Opera. The Arts complex in downtown is beautiful. I need to go there more. See more good live performances.

Edited by rnaple (05/26/13 05:49 PM)

#2089440 - 05/26/13 07:50 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: rnaple]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

What got me excited was:

I read a posting that was applicable to me. It said playing old stuff is a waste of time. So I ventured forth turning the page to a new piece.

Now I always read through a new piece to see what I will face or if there is anything like a symbol, etc. that I don't understand.

As the new me, I play the piece once slowly - hopefully without mistakes - else I circle the mistakes and move on and only practice the mistakes.

So now life is fun because playing the piano for the first time is like walking in a minefield trying to read and play the measures as I work my way through the measures without making a mistake - Because when I do, I have to circle it to mark it to learn the measure so it can be played without errors or mistakes.

So now it is a new experience but hopefully I will become accustom to the new way of learning new pieces.

The most awesome thing I learned is to be able to play note by note as I walk through the measures pausing to check if I have correct fingering, if necessary or going on. So it is like being a player piano in slow motion. What is good about it is I can make sure I am not making a mistake before it happens - but being a cautious driver on the piano highway.

Edited by Michael_99 (05/26/13 07:54 PM)

#2089685 - 05/27/13 02:35 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

We went to the inauguration of a new trattoria, owned by friends. They had a piano. There were about 40 people having lunch (about half of them good friends, and one third of those musicians). I played the piano while everyone was talking and eating. My buddies were closest to the piano and could actually hear me (It was pretty noisy in the room) - and I got applause. That was fun.

#2089691 - 05/27/13 02:54 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
You mean you can actually play the piano cas ... just joking ... top marks to the brave virtuoso ... what did you play? ... hope you got in a strain of Gershwin.

Hats off!

#2089761 - 05/27/13 08:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
I played the piano while everyone was talking and eating. My buddies were closest to the piano and could actually hear me (It was pretty noisy in the room) - and I got applause. That was fun.

I guess so Cheryl, what fun. What sort of things did you play? Was the piano a good one...in tune I hope. grin

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2089796 - 05/27/13 10:26 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

JimF - My instructor warned me to practice in the shoes I planned to perform in, so I guess comfy shoes are really important. You probably cannot get away with barefoot, (or looking like the baby) though!

Saranoya - Good luck on your exam. Is this an ABRSM exam? Your vision problem sounds really scary! It is amazing that you could just keep playing!

MaryBee - Getting praise from a teacher is really special. They are paid to critique you, so praise means you are doing really well!

Micheal - Mozart Air is a pretty piece. Have fun with it! Your new approach to learning a new piece sounds like it is effective.

Floydthe barber71- With a busy schedule and a family, getting even 20 minutes of practice regularly is an accomplishment. You can make progress with regular short practice sessions.

ElleC - Will we get to hear your Chopin Prelude in the piano bar or in the next recital? Congratulations on completing it to your satisfaction.

rnaple- I hope the Opera takes up your idea and does Les Mis. That would be cool!

Casinitaly - Congratulations on your public performance! That is great! It takes some bravery to do that in front of friends and other musicians. And you even received applause. Well done!

My AOTW was receiving confirmation that my polyrhythms, (3/4 and 2/3) are working. I played Liszt Cons. 3 in my lesson today and my teacher said the rhythms were good. This piece is all 2's against 3's with a few 3's against 4's thrown in for good measure. I still have a lot of work to do on the piece, though. I cannot smoothly do the LH jumps anywhere near tempo yet, and it is not yet fully memorized. At least it is getting closer.

Ingraining polyrhythms such that I can count either hand separately, or sing one hand and play the other is still evading me, though. I can only hear them as one entity, and I play them correctly, but I have work to do to be fully independent.

#2089823 - 05/27/13 11:31 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Still no achievement with Mozart sonata. My goal is to play it as smooth as possible with at least 80 for a quarter note during the weekend. Good piano week for everyone.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2089827 - 05/27/13 11:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Must give SwissMS a thumbs up plug for choosing
Debussy's Arabesque no. 1 ... charming.

#2089857 - 05/27/13 12:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
Saranoya Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Saranoya - Good luck on your exam. Is this an ABRSM exam? Your vision problem sounds really scary! It is amazing that you could just keep playing!

No, not ABRSM.

As I've explained before on this thread somewhere, we have an art education system that's basically a part of the public school system, though it operates outside of normal school hours, and it is not compulsory.

This system comes with fixed expectations of what a student should learn, just like 'regular' (daytime) education. They take the form of what, for lack of a better translation, I will call 'end terms' (goals every student should reach by the end of a grade), which are determined by the ministry of education, and enforced through regular inspections (not standardised testing, like in the US or the UK).

Schools are theoretically free to write their own curricula based on these 'end terms'. But in practice, there are really only three different curricula in common use for primary and secondary schools, and just a single one for art schools.

I actually don't know what the 'end terms' for first year piano students are, though I'm pretty sure I've leapfrogged them already (because of where I started, not because I'm such a prodigy). But we do sight singing (both with practice beforehand, and prima vista), dictation (melodic, rhythmic, and melodic-rhythmic), music theory (which key is this song in, what does 'allegro' mean, circle the base chord, etc.), and then, of course, repertoire in whatever instrument we chose.

Adults are actually not obligated to do an exam most of the time. They only *have* to do one in the third, the sixth and the final year of their music education, and then there are rules about what they should play (one pre-determined work that everyone has to play, and then a study from a given collection of choices, depending on the level) other than the two or three repertoire pieces they chose.

So that covers most of the ABRSM bases, I think, except that there are no scales at our exams laugh.

My vision problem is becoming less and less scary as time goes on, by the way smile. I guess I *am* learning to live with it, after all.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2089908 - 05/27/13 01:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
SwissMs, can't say it's to my satisfaction. I've heard way better versions but it has certainly matured compared to a month ago. I think this prelude will be one of those that I'll be playing over and over until I find just the right dynamic and just the right keystroke to be completely satisfied. But for now, I am happy that I can at least set it aside to focus on new scores. I'll post it for the June piano bar smile thanks!

#2089930 - 05/27/13 02:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Week 63: Thanks Toastie and Dynamobt for the comments on the Robert Frost. Dynamobt mentioned a second Frost poem, Acceptance. I looked that poem up and it inspired a song. After all these weeks of moving slow and documenting limited progress, this week it felt like I was moving fast. I knocked out the gist of the song in a short period of time. As I continue to work on it, the project consumes most of the oxygen for this week. The exciting part is that there is sheet music and MIDI. This is the first sheet music and MIDI that I have produced for piano. The title, Acceptance, is almost the perfect message at this time in my piano journey, as I take some of the constructive criticism on my recital piece and try to incorporate some of the suggested changes to Canon in D.

For the curious, here is the link to the PDF sheet music.
https://www.box.com/s/pmzxaaixi4z7nykwsgzn

It is a simple and spare arrangement for a short song.

Here is the MIDI link to hear the music.
https://www.box.com/s/meiq5vsgp97aty7r75no

This is the second time during my time on piano (15 months) that I felt inspired. The other inspiration was two bars of melody for The Passage of Time that I heard in my head. Some other people hear entire pieces in their head, and the work consists of transcribing and recording. I've never had an entire piece come to me in that way. My inspiration tends to be a glimpse, a phrase or two, or a line or two of lyrics. From that I start building, working long hours using the craft that I have learned by doing. Most weeks, I devote significant time to the creative process and am always trying to find interesting bits to use.

When inspiration comes, which might only be once a year, that's when all the time spent pays off. Without putting in the time to develop the craft, inspiration can be like seeds on dry hard ground. A seed might wait for some day, or perhaps wait for the muse to do more work on the next visit. Unfortunately, my muse doesn't work that hard. If I waited for inspiration to write original music, I wouldn't have eleven original piano pieces. I would have two bars of inspired melody line that would have floated away if I didn't record them, and an idea to set a poem to music.

My adapted lyrics follow:

Acceptance
The spent sun throws up its rays on cloud
And goes down burning into the gulf below
No voice in nature cries aloud
With the change to darkness in the sky
One bird closes fading eyes
Or overtaken too far from the nest
hurries low above the grove
Swooping to remembered tree
Now let the night be dark for all of me
Too dark to see into the future
So I can let what will be .. be ..

The original poem:
Acceptance by Robert Frost
When the spent sun throws up its rays on cloud
And goes down burning into the gulf below,
No voice in nature is heard to cry aloud
At what has happened. Birds, at least must know
It is the change to darkness in the sky.
Murmuring something quiet in her breast,
One bird begins to close a faded eye;
Or overtaken too far from his nest,
Hurrying low above the grove, some waif
Swoops just in time to his remembered tree.
At most he thinks or twitters softly, 'Safe!
Now let the night be dark for all of me.
Let the night be too dark for me to see
Into the future. Let what will be, 'be.'

If I make more changes, I'll post them to my blog (signature link).

#2089975 - 05/27/13 03:26 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: btb]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: btb
Must give SwissMS a thumbs up plug for choosing
Debussy's Arabesque no. 1 ... charming.

Thanks! I am really enjoying it. It should be my August recital.

#2089983 - 05/27/13 03:40 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
255 Offline

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
What are you pleased with this week?

I finally got a teacher.

Page 154 of 228 < 1 2 ... 152 153 154 155 156 ... 227 228 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (accordeur, alans, Alex-SapRenovation, 44 invisible), 1768 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156257 Topics
2294780 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A pianist joke
by PaperClip
12 minutes 27 seconds ago
Synthogy Ivory II Yamaha C7 Studio Grand 5 bad sound
by pake10
21 minutes 20 seconds ago
USB hub recommendations?
by dire tonic
46 minutes 22 seconds ago
Piano Around The World
by karmanathan
Today at 11:55 AM
Brahms
by mellifluous
Today at 11:04 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission