2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 63 of 540 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Happy Birthday Zoe!

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
G
G
Originally Posted by JimF
Congratulations GrouchoMarx!

That is such a beautiful piece. I hope you will find a way to post a recording when you are finished with it. If you don't mind my asking, how long have you been playing? Have you played any of the other Nocturnes? I only ask because I know I'm not ready for this yet but hope to be in the next year or two.

Jim

Thanks, I've been playing for about 2 years now. I currently play two other nocturnes (much easier op 9 no 2 and op 20). I think learning the lassan part of Liszt hungarian rhapsody 2 gave me some preparation for this piece(fast arpeggios in right hand and right hand interval(two semitones) notes) here is my recording of that piece if you're interested uTube.
I will definitely post a video of the nocturne whenever I play it well enough.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. "
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow. Groucho, please tell me you've played another instrument before taking up the piano. Whether you did or not you are obviously very talented.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
G
Wow. Groucho, please tell me you've played another instrument before taking up the piano. Whether you did or not you are obviously very talented.

You flatter me, but I cannot please you. Never played another instrument. But I knew how to play The Flea Waltz really fast when I was a kid so maybe that helped.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. "
GardDawg

I feel like I've been living under a rock.
So tell us what you've found and we'll celebrate with you.

Jim

I may not live under a rock but I do live on one. Plantation Key. It's the next one west of Key Largo. I don't get off the rock very often.

Jessica Williams sounds very good. Thanks for the link.

I only recently heard The Heavy .. a neo soul band from England. After watching two seasons of Treme on HBO I've renewed my love of soul music.
So here is the video that I found.

Happy birthday Zoe !

CasinItaly I promise to do the happy dance in this thread from now on.
Thanks to Paperclip and everyone else for the encouragement too.

If listening to good music counts, then I will add buying tickets for the Einaudi concert in November.

It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that.
S
S
After 2 years of learning, am finally able to play one of my dream songs-"Atlantique Nord" by Yann Tiersen. And it turns out it's not that hard. Yay!!

S
S
Why is it we always "flub" when playing for our teachers?!! Sigh...

D
D
Originally Posted by jotur
Originally Posted by Displaced Ficus
Also laid out a strategy for playing Ain't Misbehavin' in my Left Hand...

maybe you could aim for the November or Feb recital for us to hear it? (My Waller is probably next May or August :D).

um... there's a recital? Mine might be much, much later -- I'm both slow and shy. I'd love to hear one of yours, though.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Wow so much activitis in a couple of days. It's s wonderful thread. It's 3:30 AM and I should be preparing for today's class - I am teaching stat related class at work here this week. But I could not help peeking into.

My achievement of the week is that somehow I have been practicing in Utah. It's in public display in a busy music instrument rental / sale store here. So, it's quite embarrasing to screw up scales and hanon... but I do anyway. Good luck to everyone.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Displaced Ficus, yes there is. See the top 3 topics on the first page for more info and the recitals.

I have another micro achievement to announce: nowadays I have to turn a page in the middle of a song, because I do 3 and 4 pages pieces in stead of the 1 or 2 pages I always used to. It is a bit awkward to do, because my hands are not free and on the keys. I guess it's another thing to learn. Next time I will ask my teacher how to do it.

Congrats for doing Yann Tiersen, Shannonia, and thank you for introducing that song to me. I never heard it before and it's a very beautiful piece.

Bye to you all,
Chris

S
S

Yann Tiersen is amazing. His songs sound so simple and yet are so moving. Glad you like him Paperclip:)

Last edited by shannonia; 09/15/11 07:54 AM.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Displaced Ficus - yes, the online ABF recitals that Paperclip points to are quarterly. We've had participants with 3 weeks-50 years of experience, so they're really fun. But there's also much less formal Piano Bars every month, and those threads usually are titled "September Piano Bar" or whatever month it is.

But Waller's stuff is fun recital or no smile Keep us posted on how it's going -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Paperclip
Displaced Ficus, yes there is. See the top 3 topics on the first page for more info and the recitals.

I have another micro achievement to announce: nowadays I have to turn a page in the middle of a song, because I do 3 and 4 pages pieces in stead of the 1 or 2 pages I always used to. It is a bit awkward to do, because my hands are not free and on the keys. I guess it's another thing to learn. Next time I will ask my teacher how to do it.

Congrats for doing Yann Tiersen, Shannonia, and thank you for introducing that song to me. I never heard it before and it's a very beautiful piece.

Bye to you all,
Chris

Depending on how annoying the binding of the music is, you may want to just photocopy the pages and stick them together so you can lay them all out. thumb

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
Hi,

I have been practicing the Chopin op.10 no 2 for a week now and it starts to look like a piece. Not in the real tempo yet but moving in this direction without giving up.

But what a notice again and again.

Practicing is like untying a knot:
If you use force and pull hardly it will only strengthen the knot and create tensions.

If you release tensions, relax, take it slowly, play independently with each finger, listen carefully and so on it is like making the knot loosen up.

So you can always ask: am I pulling the knot or making it loosen up?

GL
Jaak

piano.social - Learn classical piano with Jaak and socialize with other piano students
MA, teacher and doctoral student of the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lain
Depending on how annoying the binding of the music is, you may want to just photocopy the pages and stick them together so you can lay them all out. thumb

Great idea! Thanks! thumb

@Jaak, chopin op 10 no 2? Wow!! shocked

Chris

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jaak
Practicing is like untying a knot:
If you use force and pull hardly it will only strengthen the knot and create tensions.

If you release tensions, relax, take it slowly, play independently with each finger, listen carefully and so on it is like making the knot loosen up.

So you can always ask: am I pulling the knot or making it loosen up?

What a great analogy! thumb

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Jim F., MaryBee, Lain, and Dulcetta thanks for the B-day wishes! And welcome aboard Dulcetta. You will find many fine folks here willing to help. I love reading this forum every day. I learn so much here and feel so welcomed. All the best as you go forward!

Now, I need to go find some of these songs folks have been talking about. I'm not family with them and feel a need to listen to them based on all the comments!

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Ah, this week I played a ropey old harpsichord in front of a group of 12+ strangers, who I believe are all better players than me.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
[quote=Dulcetta](...) There are several of us I can think of right off the top of my head who have only been playing since the end of the year 2009 - so, we haven't even hit the 2 year mark yet.(...)

+1 thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Page 63 of 540 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission