Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 13 of 65 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 64 65 >
Topic Options
#1110823 - 05/27/07 09:04 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by sid:
I managed to play it all the way though tonight...you guys are right, it does seem to be very intuitive. Very pretty as well, especially the top of that middle section, I keep wanting to go back just to play that part. \:\)

Lol, can't seem to sleep tonight, every few minutes I have to get up and play that section again (from every piece of his I learn something new, not only is his music wonderful but he's a very fine teacher as well.) [/b]
I also really like the top of the second page. Just having trouble getting it up to speed.

His music really helps my sight reading across the grand staff. The way his writing is spread out, you can't help but read better...

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1110824 - 05/27/07 09:27 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Does anyone know what the C3 notation in "I Due Fiumi" means?

Thanks

#1110825 - 05/27/07 12:26 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
The 1C means to use the una corda (soft) pedal. Then the 3C means to let off it ("3C" indicating that the hammer hits all 3 strings, rather than being shifted one over when the una corda pedal is down). So most of this piece is played with the una corda pedal depressed, which is sort of unusual.

I have a question that will reveal my almost total lack of music theory knowledge: What key is is this piece written in? There's no sharps or flats in the key signature, which I thought meant it should be either C or A minor. But it doesn't really sound like a C major piece to me, and I'm not seeing any A minor chords in it. And I thought one of the other tricks to figure out what key a piece is in is to look at the lowest bass note on the last measure, which in this case is G.

#1110826 - 05/27/07 12:36 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
The 1C means to use the una corda (soft) pedal. Then the 3C means to let off it ("3C" indicating that the hammer hits all 3 strings, rather than being shifted one over when the una corda pedal is down). So most of this piece is played with the una corda pedal depressed, which is sort of unusual.

I have a question that will reveal my almost total lack of music theory knowledge: What key is is this piece written in? There's no sharps or flats in the key signature, which I thought meant it should be either C or A minor. But it doesn't really sound like a C major piece to me, and I'm not seeing any A minor chords in it. And I thought one of the other tricks to figure out what key a piece is in is to look at the lowest bass note on the last measure, which in this case is G. [/b]
Thanks Monic for the answer. I've been using my sustain. (Only one I have on my digital).

I thought it was in C too. I didn't see any A minor cords.

Good question. I'll ask my teacher next week. Although someone here will have an answer to you very soon I imagine...

#1110827 - 05/30/07 05:56 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Aw man. I got my copy of "I giorni" in the mail today. Even though there's a fair amount of overlap between it and the best of Einaudi CD, I decided I had to hear Einaudi play I due fuimi himself. So I eagerly put it in my CD player only to discover that I am playing it about 30% too slow. I was matching the tempo of the little girl on the video, and I guess SHE was playing it too slow.

[gnashes teeth and thinks unfair thoughts about little girls playing Einaudi pieces beautifully under high-pressure recital circumstances, and then decides instead to rail bitterly against the lack of metronome markings for this piece in the book.]

Guess it's back to the practice bench for me. \:\(

#1110828 - 05/30/07 09:14 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Aw man. I got my copy of "I giorni" in the mail today. Even though there's a fair amount of overlap between it and the best of Einaudi CD, I decided I had to hear Einaudi play I due fuimi himself. So I eagerly put it in my CD player only to discover that I am playing it about 30% too slow. I was matching the tempo of the little girl on the video, and I guess SHE was playing it too slow.

[gnashes teeth and thinks unfair thoughts about little girls playing Einaudi pieces beautifully under high-pressure recital circumstances, and then decides instead to rail bitterly against the lack of metronome markings for this piece in the book.]

Guess it's back to the practice bench for me. \:\( [/b]
You mean I have been killing myself learning this at the wrong speed? It sounds pretty good on the video.

Any I "think" its a male in the video, but i could be wrong...

#1110829 - 05/30/07 09:26 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Here is a guy playing at the proper speed...second song. I like the slow version to be honest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vxRmlzZDCg&mode=related&search=

#1110830 - 05/30/07 10:14 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark737:
[QUOTE]Any I "think" its a male in the video, but i could be wrong... [/b]
On the video link you first posted, that's definitely a little girl... she's got pigtails, and her name is Rilla Cotton, which doesn't sound like a boy name.

Yeah, the other video you posted was closer to Einaudi's pace, but I think Einaudi might play it even faster. He also plays it with a LOT of rubato, where I had been playing it more even. The guy's video, though, included something that Einaudi does that's not in the sheet music, which is to add an ornamentation to measure 19. I need to listen to it several more times to see if there's any other differences between the sheet music and the CD.

I like it slow, too. \:\)

#1110831 - 05/30/07 10:28 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Still no metronome marking but on I Giorni the track only lasts 4:21. I think my mp3 of it was six minutes something, so my impression that I was 30% too slow was right on.

#1110832 - 05/30/07 10:34 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Still no metronome marking but on I Giorni the track only lasts 4:21. I think my mp3 of it was six minutes something, so my impression that I was 30% too slow was right on. [/b]
The youtube slow version was actually 4:45, strange

#1110833 - 05/30/07 10:56 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

You are so right. *Sigh* This means that not only was I maligning the poor little girl, I wasn't even matching her tempo.

#1110834 - 05/30/07 11:12 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
You are so right. *Sigh* This means that not only was I maligning the poor little girl, I wasn't even matching her tempo. [/b]
At least you got her sex right...:lol:

I must watch that video 3 times a day to get that piece down.

I'm going to go for the slower version. It has much more heart that way...

#1110835 - 07/08/07 05:50 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

I posted this in the July piano bar, but I thought I'd add a link to it here as well, given that this is the archival Einaudi thread.

Here's a re-recording of "I due fiumi," after having the benefit of several weeks additional practice. Note that I now am much closer to hitting the right tempo. ;\)

"I due fiumi" by Ludovico Einaudi, second take

#1110836 - 07/08/07 06:13 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I posted this in the July piano bar, but I thought I'd add a link to it here as well, given that this is the archival Einaudi thread.

Here's a re-recording of "I due fiumi," after having the benefit of several weeks additional practice. Note that I now am much closer to hitting the right tempo. ;\)

"I due fiumi" by Ludovico Einaudi, second take [/b]
You nailed it quite well. Bravo!! I love this song. I like this speed as well. I can play though it, but still have a ways to go...

#1110837 - 07/08/07 10:00 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Hey, Mark... did you ever ask your teacher about the key that I due fiumi is in? I'm still curious to find out the answer.

#1110838 - 07/09/07 12:55 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
Nice job, Monica!

I think I'm just about ready to start recording it as well. Haha, watch as both me and Mark both come out with a recording at the same time.

Isn't this pretty straight forwardly in the key of C? Or am I missing something?

#1110839 - 07/09/07 07:34 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Hey, Mark... did you ever ask your teacher about the key that I due fiumi is in? I'm still curious to find out the answer. [/b]
Darn, I forgot and we just did a quick run through of this song last week. I'll try to remember this week.

#1110840 - 07/09/07 07:36 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Nice job, Monica!

I think I'm just about ready to start recording it as well. Haha, watch as both me and Mark both come out with a recording at the same time.

Isn't this pretty straight forwardly in the key of C? Or am I missing something? [/b]
Your going to post it before me. I'm still working on cleaning up the top of page two and with my severe case of Red dot fever it could be a looooogg time...:lol:

#1110841 - 07/09/07 09:47 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Quote:

Isn't this pretty straight forwardly in the key of C? Or am I missing something? [/b]
I guess the reason I'm questioning is that the piece doesn't start out in C; you start out with an F-A-C arpeggio, then an A-minor inversion (E-A-C), then C inversion (E-G-C) then D-G-B, and that repeats through the whole piece, with the final chord being a G. Given the absence of sharps and flats in the key signature, it should be either C or A minor (according to my imperfect understanding of music theory), but ending on that G chord confuses me.

#1110842 - 07/09/07 07:06 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Relic Offline

Loc: Netherlands, Purmerend
how long have you been playing the Piano Monica? Just wondering..

i've been practicing I due Fiumi today and it went pretty well, it's a lovely piece. I will post my recording as soon as i'm done with it ;\)

#1110843 - 07/09/07 10:12 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Three years, Relic, but I had 7 years of accordion as a child.

I'm looking forward to hearing your recording. \:\)

#1110844 - 07/14/07 12:47 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Don't say I didn't warn you, here's my first take of Einaudi's I Due Fiumi; there's a measure in there that's different from the score (I'll give a gold star to the first one who can tell me where it is :p ).

http://www.box.net/shared/0q9ztn4sx4

I fooled around with it off and on for about a month since Mark first introduced us to it and Monica did her blitzkrieg and it sort of fell into my lap when I wasn't looking; wished I could learn all my pieces this way. Let me know what you think (hey Mark, I beat you to it \:D ).

My only complaint is my damn ankle, started pedaling seriously and it stiffens up again (why couldn't nature have given us titanium bone instead of this friable calcium, chalk for bone, go figure!) Well it's worth it just to get this recording in. Hope you like.

#1110845 - 07/14/07 01:54 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Don't say I didn't warn you, here's my first take of Einaudi's I Due Fiumi; there's a measure in there that's different from the score (I'll give a gold star to the first one who can tell me where it is :p ).

http://www.box.net/shared/oem33omtbu

I fooled around with it off and on for about a month since Mark first introduced us to it and Monica did her blitzkrieg and it sort of fell into my lap when I wasn't looking; wished I could learn all my pieces this way. Let me know what you think (hey Mark, I beat you to it \:D ).

My only complaint is my damn ankle, started pedaling seriously and it stiffens up again (why couldn't nature have given us titanium bone instead of this friable calcium, chalk for bone, go figure!) Well it's worth it just to get this recording in. Hope you like. [/b]
Bravo Sid, you out did your self this time. And it maybe a very long time till I come close to what you just accomplished. You really got the little nuances of the piece down well. Loved the long runs on the top part of page two.

Is you little modification the double g octave on the top of page 3? It sounds like you only hit one g instead of the octave?

Again, masterful job for a one legged piano player... \:D Hope the leg feels better.

Mark

PS: Any pedaling advice on this piece?

#1110846 - 07/14/07 01:57 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Sorry double post

#1110847 - 07/14/07 02:01 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

I just love this piece. Beautiful playing, sid, very relaxed and smooth. Was it measure 56 that you played differently?

#1110848 - 07/14/07 02:21 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Mark! I'm gratified you liked it. Nah I wouldn't short change the double octaves, ok enough teasing, I just added a short lh run of the g chord at 1:40 (measure 56...basically copying over measure 60...thought it flowed better that way). Sorry, Mark, but Monica gets the gold star \:\)

Regarding pedaling, I try to pedal every chord change (although there's a couple of points (e.g., at 37sec (measure 21) where if you haven't practiced the pedaling the transition can seem a little abrupt; if you're lazy you can get away with not releasing the pedal at these points for that extra measure, it won't sound too bad; but if you practice it you can get the transition to go pretty smoothly); I hold the pedal down for the big two measure G chord arpeggios. Also, when you have to move your left hand a distance to transition to these big two measure G chord arpeggios, you might want to hold off releasing the pedal until you've started on the new chord run otherwise you lose the sustain too early (what do they call this legato?). Also, on measures 53&54 and 57&58 you might want to hold the pedal for both measures otherwise those two chords (F and Am) sounds a little thin)

If you have headphones, you can actually listen to mine and Monica's version and hear the "swoosh" of the pedals (Monica's are more obvious since I have my pedal effects turned down but it's still there if you listen carefully, pretty neat).

Thanks, Monica! Haha, you've got it in one .

I'm really glad you liked it. I don't have this recording by Einaudi so I guess I pretty much followed yours for reference, really fun piece to learn.

#1110849 - 07/19/07 05:54 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Hey, Mark... did you ever ask your teacher about the key that I due fiumi is in? I'm still curious to find out the answer. [/b]
I asked her today, and she said its in C but changes to G in some spots and some other stuff that was over my head...lol

#1110850 - 07/19/07 08:49 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Thanks, Mark... that "changing to G in some spots" is no doubt why it ends in the G chord.

[resolves to hit the music theory books...]

I've been working on I Giorni now that I have I due fiumi recorded. It's got some big chords toward the end I can't reach, but I just re-arranged them and it doesn't sound too bad.

#1110851 - 07/23/07 11:06 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

With my piano freshly tuned, I put in some heavy hours with the Zoom this weekend, and I think I am finally ready to put Le Onde to rest. I have struggled with this piece more than any other Einaudi piece, and I'm still not entirely happy with it, but I think I will put it away for now:

"Le Onde"

You'll hear a few bobbles at about the 1:40 mark, and I edited out the part halfway through when I spread out the last 4 pages of the sheet music. This is also the only recording where I edited out a major mistake, as it occurred on the very last gosh-darn line and I was NOT going to try to do it all over again.

#1110852 - 07/23/07 01:26 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
With my piano freshly tuned, I put in some heavy hours with the Zoom this weekend, and I think I am finally ready to put Le Onde to rest. I have struggled with this piece more than any other Einaudi piece, and I'm still not entirely happy with it, but I think I will put it away for now:

"Le Onde"

You'll hear a few bobbles at about the 1:40 mark, and I edited out the part halfway through when I spread out the last 4 pages of the sheet music. This is also the only recording where I edited out a major mistake, as it occurred on the very last gosh-darn line and I was NOT going to try to do it all over again. [/b]
I'm always amazed you guys can play such long pieces (to me at least) so well.

Very minor hesitations Monica, great feel, great sound. Thanks!

Page 13 of 65 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 64 65 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Tuner Recommendation
by DancerJ
09/22/14 03:58 PM
Opening a Kawai ES7
by ColoRodney
09/22/14 03:32 PM
Kawai MP11 black key noise?
by rungabic
09/22/14 11:35 AM
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
09/22/14 09:31 AM
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
09/22/14 08:55 AM
Who's Online
139 registered (anotherscott, accordeur, ajames, Anne'sson, 38 invisible), 1669 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157692 Topics
2316258 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission