2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 303 of 540 1 2 301 302 303 304 305 539 540
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
"your coat's on a shaky nail" made me laugh Earlofmar. Sounds like you're moving along quite nicely.

Congrats on the new M&H piano Oongawa and I wish you the best of relationships with her. We spend more quality time with our pianos than with most anyone else so it's a relationship.

Farmgirl: your life is so packed full but I know you're doing things you love. Don't know yet if we're coming to Scottsdale for spring break. Either there or Santa Fe probably.

ATallGuy: it took me years to get comfortable practicing with my husband in the room. And it's never been that he's critical...my practice time is my intimate time with my music....I hate to share it with anyone. LOL.

Going to New York tomorrow for 2 nights unless the weather prevents the flight. I'll pack some music just in case I find a piano to play.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
"Tipitina" is finally pulling together a bit .... heard it played many ways. Professor Longhair is one tricky guy. Wish I had a pair of ears half as good as his. grin

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
"your coat's on a shaky nail" made me laugh Earlofmar. Sounds like you're moving along quite nicely.

Congrats on the new M&H piano Oongawa and I wish you the best of relationships with her. We spend more quality time with our pianos than with most anyone else so it's a relationship.

Farmgirl: your life is so packed full but I know you're doing things you love. Don't know yet if we're coming to Scottsdale for spring break. Either there or Santa Fe probably.

ATallGuy: it took me years to get comfortable practicing with my husband in the room. And it's never been that he's critical...my practice time is my intimate time with my music....I hate to share it with anyone. LOL.

Going to New York tomorrow for 2 nights unless the weather prevents the flight. I'll pack some music just in case I find a piano to play.

Karen, love it if you can come to Scottsdale:)
We may go out to watch the game with you guys!

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
SwissMS, it's interesting that your concept of slow and your teacher's concept of slow were not the same! Is she trying to tell you to internalize the rhythm? Good for you working on the areas need improvement. I too often miss those pencil marks.

Earlofmar, I like your positive attitude.

Rerun, sounds like you are making good progress.

I have Piano Club today. I have nothing quite ready to perform. If they are short on performers, I will do Diabelli's duet with my friend.

Have a happy day!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Happy birthday SwissMS - - may your day be filled with delights!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone, for all the encouragement.

One thing I am taking away from this piece is the fact that when I first started working on it I didn't think I'd be able to do some of the things that I actually CAN do now. This has happened several times since I started working with my new teacher..(Not so new now smile ) and I find it interesting. Start a new piece, feel intimidated, nail a tricky passage, intimidation fades. Of course that's not to say that the whole piece will necessarily come together...but the process is interesting.

FarmGirl, I listened to that Beethoven sonata - very pretty indeed! I've asked my teacher to pick the next one for me and he's going to bring a selection to the next lesson.

Cathy - yes, keeping going really did feel like an achievement. I used to play in a concert band and of course if you messed up you had to find your spot and pick it up ... the band didn't stop and wait for you ! So in a certain sense I've had practice doing it, but it is quite different when you're the only one playing. And it is also quite different because I haven't been doing this since I started piano, just recently. (Were you that poor girl who was asked to not play for dancers
frown )?

SwissMS- isn't it interesting that what we thing is SLOW just doesn't ever seem to be slow enough from the teacher's point of view? How many times have we talked about our difficulties in slowing down in this thread...and yet we all continue to have a challenge in this area!

Wisebuff - safe travels and watch that tension in your Beethoven! (Funny but the first time I tried a piece by Beethoven I ended up with terrible tension problems - one of the things that helped was dropping B for a bit and playing a jazz piece ! I'm not suggesting you do that, but I found it very interesting that the jazz kept tension away).

Earlofmar - I think it is always valuable to be able to evaluate where you are, and how a piece is working for you. I like shaky nail expression too smile

Rerun - nice to hear you are making progress on your Tipitina smile What a cute name for a piece.

FarmGirl - I don't know how you coordinate your days! I get tired just reading about what you are doing!
I think it is such great fun that your hubby is learning to play now too - that's really something special.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Happy Birthday SwissMS thumb

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JimF; 01/24/14 09:08 AM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
SwissMS- isn't it interesting that what we thing is SLOW just doesn't ever seem to be slow enough from the teacher's point of view? How many times have we talked about our difficulties in slowing down in this thread...and yet we all continue to have a challenge in this area!

It's like eating vegetables.

It's helpful, but it's no fun and doesn't sound good, so I speed up without even thinking about it. I probably practice sufficiently slowly 10% of the time, at most.

Maybe I need to tape one of these to the piano right at eye level:
[Linked Image]

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This may not sound like an AOTW but it is in my mind. Slowing down is the hardest thing for me imaginable. I have given up trying to record CBTS for the moment because it is clearly not ready to be recorded yet and frustrates me.

I have given up practicing this hands separate and only doing hands together practice very, and I mean VERY slowly. A good guessimate would be about <70 for a quarter note. (FWIW I can play this EHA at 90) This piece has many 8ths that take me to ~140 which I can do at times and other times not. So... I can now play this through at this tempo (<70) consistently with few if any pauses or clunkers. I intend to practice in this way and hold out hope for FEB 15, if not, another recital or the Piano Bar or just post it somewhere for your dubious pleasure grin

I see this as a good achievement because I have learned this one without a teacher and started it the week I quit my lessons. I never expect to get anything close to a perfect recording but just something acceptable. Got a bit over two weeks so we'll see how it goes. smile

Last edited by Ragdoll; 01/24/14 09:35 AM. Reason: clarity of tempo

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
"Slowly enough" is the speed at which there are no hesitations or fumbles.

When you fumble, despite an ultra-low speed, it indicates that you're either starting from the wrong hand position or taking an inefficient route to the next position. If you find the problem hard to self-analyze, that's what teachers are for!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Lots of achievements, as usual!

Happy Birthday SwissMS!!!!

jotur, rnaple, Stubbie, wimpian, UKIkarus, casinitaly and FarmGirl Thanks! Thanks for all the encouragement.
As far as I can know the documentary will be available on Internet, too. But I don't know when... maybe March?

eejake52 - Wow, one chapter per month? That's a good "rhythm" smile Congratulations!

Stubbie - Congrats with those... triplet-quintuplet-dotted eighth+sixteenth...

wimpiano - Good luck with your sight-read sessions! That's nice.

UKIkarus - This is real cool. Transposing the chords is a true achievement.

FarmGirl - Avatars: This is the greatest achievement I've ever read on this thread... Very good! LOL
How do you find time to visit PW...?

barbaram - Wow, so many achievemenst for only one week... Great!

casinitaly - Great! Great! I'm so hapy with your accomplishment. That's a very importante (for your future) and a huge AOTW. thumb

WiseBuff - Good point. A repertoire is fun and and helps concentration / focus. It acts as a guide.

Ragdoll - And the word of the week is: "SLOW". thumb

No AOTW for me. I've been really busy.
This week I played piano twice at home. I did a 10 minutes session on Tuesday, and a 15 miutes session yesterday. Good, isn't it????
Well, let's see..I was filming last Wednesday and I played a couple of pieces, but that doesn't count.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Happy birthday, SwissMS!

Slow. Well, yes. The first week I was practising the oom-pah to play with fiddlers for dancing and tried it at speed it was a train wreck. So I kept reducing the tempo on the metronome until I could actually play it - and that turned out to be - bpm = 60. Just a little over half-tempo laugh And I played it a lot at slow tempos that week before the dance. And in the weeks that followed all of them started that slow, and that was after I had actually sussed out the chords and the progressions. The pay-off was a treat, tho smile

casinitaly - fortunately I was not the piano-player that would re-do the mistaken notes. Playing thru mistakes is a life-skill for me laugh Being a dancer, keeping the pulse going was really my first priority. Sometimes the dancers had to help by clapping when things were going to heck, and once in a great while the whole set of musicians would come to a stand-still, but mostly we kept right on chugging!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Short answer to your question
When do I have time to check on the forum - mostly between 11:30pm to 12:30 am and any waiting time I found at work. I have to be on conference call a lot since I'm mostly virtual working with virtual teams across the globe. It has plus and minus. I mostly work 6:00 AM to 3:00 PM but I have to make myself available for odd time calls with India and UK. So I adjust my schedule accordingly. Like now UK and India teams workweek is over. It's NY lunchtime. So what I'm doing now? Eating my lunch and reading the forum.

P
P
My achievement of the last couple of weeks is cracking Alfred book ones 'the entertainer'. This will be my abf recital as it has pushed me to my current limits. The book only covers the first bit of the song and I just want to carry on and play the rest but no music = gutted :-(

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the Birthday wishes everyone! My sweet husband gave me a week end trip to the Portofino area of the northern Italian coast to celebrate my birthday and we are loving the warmer weather! The hotel even has a little Bluthner grand that they let me play. So my MOYD is intact!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
TallGuy: I like vegetables. I don't like playing soooo slowly. Maybe I need one of those snail pics for my piano too.

Ragdoll, sounds like your persistence is starting to pay off -hand in there. What does EHA stand for?

Carlos, surely playing while being filmed counts???? smile

Cathy, glad it wasn't you! smile Keep on chugging !

FarmGirl, I don't think I'd like your hours!

Paul- looking forward to hearing your Entertainer in a few weeks!

SwissMS - sounds like a great weekend! And how great that the hotel has a piano. If you don't get to play it tomorrow morning I have a suggestion for you smile

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll, sounds like your persistence is starting to pay off -hand in there. What does EHA stand for?

Oh sorry Cheryl, I thought it was a common term. My teacher used to write this acronym in my notebook to indicate she wanted me to practice Each Hand Alone (and faster) or BHT Both Hands Together. Other times she'd say HS or HT but never wrote these terms in my book. <shrug> I guess it was just her thing and it stuck in my head.

Yes, I think the consistent SLOW practice hands together is helping a lot with my progress on this. I also think that by doing this EHA at a faster tempo made me want to do it at this tempo during practice with both hands. bah That's why I have given up the separate hand practice for awhile.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
SwissMS, belated happy birthday to you. Delicious cakes must be available in Swiss. Enjoy!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
A belated happy birthday to SwissMs. The comments from your teacher help keep us all humble. You are one of the most accomplished pianists on this beginners section and yet still are getting those kind of comments from your teacher.

Week 98: practice is still sporadic. I make minor progress on the cover of Colder Weather. It will likely be spring before I am ready to play it, after the song title loses its immediacy. I spend some time transcribing Tracks in the Snow and also try some recording. On my Casio PX150, the recorder flashes red on two LEDs when running. Covering the flashing red lights helps a bit.

It takes me three days to produce a basic score. Looking at the transcribed sheet music brings mixed emotions. On the one hand, it is a measure of how far I have traveled on my piano journey in 23 months. I am writing, playing, recording and notating original piano music. On the other side, the dots and lines look so simple, so beginner-ish. Ah well, I am still a low level beginner. I am progressing, however slow the progress may seem. Notating and recording yet another original piece of piano music is another mile marker on my journey.

I am getting a bit more comfortable using the MIDI interface and MuseScore. It is still clumsy for me, but better than it used to be. Like almost all computer programs, if I worked with MuseScore every day, I'm sure I would get a lot better at it. Sometimes I wish I was musically inspired like some others on the forum seem to be. Tracks in the Snow, did not feel inspired, not one riff, not one musical phrase. It was mostly the product of hitting piano keys for hours on end, until something sounded interesting enough to keep. The title came after the piece was near finished.

For the Mozart Cousera I catch up on watching the video lessons. I can't play most of what the instructor is showing us now, so it is theoretical. I sometimes just listen to the audio and wait for interesting sounding music to come on and then go back to paying attention. I will start another Coursera next week on Songwriting with lyrics. Perhaps I will actually do those assignments. The Mozart assignments felt like too much for me in terms of cost vs. benefit.

Welcome to the new folks. Have a good week everyone.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
It was a busy and good day. I went t to the college for the Studio class and lesson afterwards. In the evening I went to opera.

In the studio, played both Chopin Nocturne and Bach prelude for the class mates. My teacher told me that Bach got a lot smoother but I needed to fix tempo. This was the first time playing through the nocturne in front of others. It was not musical and hit lots of wrong notes on the last page.

During the lesson, we addressed those weaknesses.

For Bach - I need to use metronome (she discovered that I neglected it). Whenever there are trills in either hand, i tend to hurry those 16th notes. I told her that i would fix them at home but she insisted that I fix them during the lesson, well at least one time, saying "You have to show me that you could do this". She was happy that I brought up certain melodies and cool counter melodies. She like the way I brought up the counter melody in my left hand and connected it to deceptive cadence and took a tiny pose before next notes. She also agreed with me adding some additional trills in the second page where there is none. Since the first page has lots of trills and mordants, iMO it called for a couple more trills towards the end.

For Chopin - we discussed how to rubato it effectively and added more dynamics. I will see how i can shape this up this week.

Have a happy piano week!

Page 303 of 540 1 2 301 302 303 304 305 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission