2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Speaking of sick ol' Chopin...

In all of his paintings he appears to have a skinnier face than this picture which was taken during his last year. Do you think his illness was causing facial bloating/swelling?

[Linked Image]

T
T
I love Paul Barton.

Check out his videos about hauling a piano into the jungle to play for the elephants. Beautiful stuff.

Yamaha CLP-240....and looking
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by JoelW

In all of his paintings he appears to have a skinnier face than this picture which was taken during his last year. Do you think his illness was causing facial bloating/swelling?

Kidney disease (like Mozart's Henoch-Schönlein that he suffered from in his last days) can cause bloating due to fluid retention, but Chopin had TB/consumption which is a wasting disease causing a gaunt appearance. Death is usually from bleeding into the lungs causing suffocation.

Artist's licence perhaps?

If music be the food of love, play on!

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by carey
I like the way it's dealt with in the movie Impromptu.
(plays “Fantasie-Impromptu in C minor”)
(sighs)
Chopin: I’m not happy with it.
Sand: Why?
Chopin: Because a perfect impromptu should seem spontaneous and free. No-one should be able to guess at the desperate calculation behind it. I’ve been struggling with this for so long.It’s like being tangled in a net. I feel...I have terrible dreams at night. I think if I ever finish it, then it will have finished me.

So now we finally know what really killed the poor guy !!!

Gosh, that's even more awful than coughing blood onto the keyboard, then expiring.......

That was another movie..... smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Online Content

Originally Posted by bennevis

Kidney disease (like Mozart's Henoch-Schönlein that he suffered from in his last days) can cause bloating due to fluid retention, but Chopin had TB/consumption which is a wasting disease causing a gaunt appearance. Death is usually from bleeding into the lungs causing suffocation.

Such a crying shame that medical science wasn't more advanced in the 19th century. Just imagine the gifts that composers like Schubert and Chopin might have given us had they lived longer.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
J
J
[/quote]

Such a crying shame that medical science wasn't more advanced in the 19th century. Just imagine the gifts that composers like Schubert and Chopin might have given us had they lived longer.
[/quote]

still, some of chopin's great pieces he wouldn't have released if he stayed alive so I guess it worked out well for us! RIP chopin

Essex EUP-123S

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
TB (if that's what he had) wasn't actually what killed Chopin. His heart killed him. The doctor that did his autospy told Chopin's sister that Chopin's heart was in worse shape than his lungs. Unfortunately, the actual autospy report has not survived. He probably had a heart condition called cor pulmonale which is heart failure caused by the heart overworking to compensate for the lack of oxygen supplied by compromised lungs. Heart failure can cause fluid accumulation. That's why Chopin's face is a bit puffy. (And probably a tab bluish). It probably actually improved his looks at that point. He also complained of bad swelling in his legs.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Speaking of Chopin pieces that I don't like anymore... the first two scherzi are pretty boring to me these days. Only the 3rd and 4th still hit it home for me. Am I the only one?

Online Content

Speaking of Chopin pieces that I don't like anymore... the first two scherzi are pretty boring to me these days. Only the 3rd and 4th still hit it home for me. Am I the only one?

The 1st and 4th have never done much for me - but love 2 and 3. Guess we're all different.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Again, there's no reason to think that Chopin had anything against the Fantaisie-Impromptu, and although I'm extremely fond of the movie Impromptu, that scene is purest fantasy and it insults a truly great piece of music.

It is taking me forever to get beyond about 95% of the way toward learning this piece. I've been at "almost" for far too long now. But the more time I spend with it, the more respect I have for it. When it is going well, it's an ecstatic experience.

For those who are learning the Fantaisie-Impromptu, please check out the original version sold to the Baroness d'Est. While the differences are not huge, it is definitely more interesting than and superior to the Fontana version, which is what one finds in most editions.

Frycek is right about heart failure being the cause of the facial edema seen in the photograph, and the direct cause of death. (The edema couldn't very well be "artist's license" being that we're talking about a photograph. Which BTW was not colored like the version given in this thread.) And Chopin almost certainly had one or the other of two genetic conditions, rather than TB-- although there's no reason he could not have been infected with that common disease on top of the underlying illness.

I'm not crazy about the scherzi, compared with most of Chopin's output, but it's hard for me to understand the concept of being bored by any music at that level of complexity. Annoyed by some pieces, perhaps, but not bored.

Elene

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I'm bringing back the first scherzo, spending 1-2 hours a day with it, getting it ready for a performance in a couple days. If I ever start to feel a little tired of it, I just have to play it slowly, and listen. It's wondrous and beautiful down to its very core. Every measure. The trick is to not lose sight of that in the seething fury.

-J

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't know... I guess I've just really steered away from early Chopin. Not to say that scherzo 2 is early or anything, but its form just doesn't seem as masterful as the last two. By the time he wrote the third scherzo his form was ratcheting up another notch. IMO...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission