2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jian1zh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I mean sure, it depends on the quality of the materials, better hammer, better spruce boards, better strings means more expensive piano, but why on earth the difference between a cheap piano and an expensive is so huge? well over 10 thousands?!

Don't shovel in cars as example becoz for cars, the material and technological difference is actually quite huge, such as plasma induced cylinder coating, direct injection fuel system really justify the cost difference, but why piano, an century old instrument without any major improvements through last several decades. Isn't it just woods and more woods but why price difference is sooo huge? Brand hype, sales strategy?

BTW, why would piano sales person stress more on *hand-made* is really beyond me. As an engineer, I actually would pretty much prefer machine-built over anything hand-made. There's NO way you could build better equipment with hand, by giving same amount of attention, a well designed machine-built stuff is always, always winning over samething made by hands.

Why piano buliding stuck with wood is again puzzling me. Wood is quite an inferior material comparing to even plastics. IMHO, piano is better built from carbon-fibre, except soundboard, as carbon-fibre is very resistant to temperature, moisture and stress.

Last edited by jian1zh; 01/30/13 05:15 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The price of all consumer goods is dependent on demand. If people will pay the money they're asking, the price will remain.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
K
K
Hi,
I'm not sure the piano development stopped hundred years ago. Why would then some makers put completely new lines for sale? Speaking from CR, that means Petrof new line of Bora/Breeze/Storm/Passat/Monsoon. Bohemia Piano also redesigned their line. Look at Schimmel/DE corporate video and you'll see they are stressing quite a lot importance of further developments. Also have a look what Estonia did in recent twenty years or so. On the other hand for example August Forster looks like company without a big R&D department. Their pianos are really nice, but w/o modern stuff like duplexes and such but still well, they are able to sell... so w.r.t R&D this really depends. I commenting only piano makers which I know better than just maker name...

November 2011: piano entered into my life.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure about duplex being modern - Wikipedia says "...duplex scaling, invented by Theodore Steinway in 1872...".

More recently, some manufacturers have incorporated "tunable duplex", whereas some manufacturers don't have it at all.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
S
S
Parts and labor. The labor rates of the country of manufacture makes a big difference in price. The origin of parts in the piano and optional features like fake ivory keys and fancy finishes can also make a big difference in the price. Then there is a premium for name brand recognition. And no, wood is not just wood and you will pay a lot for quality woods seasoned properly.

Recently someone on this forum had a less expensive piano delivered with broken tuning pins where as a more expensive piano would have spend more labor intensive time being tested and checked out in the factory and at the dealership and probably would have used higher quality (more expensive) tuning pins in the first place.

They do make pianos out of plastic on highly automated productions lines, they are called "digital" pianos. They are pumped full of technological improvements and are superior in every way. Oh, except they have no heart or soul and Beethoven can't feel a darn thing when he lays his head on them.

-Steve
1969 Yamaha U3

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
The word which seems to have been lost in this discussion is quality. It is a very complex concept. If the concept of quality is not understood, then any resultant product will suffice for any application.

Consider also, craftsmanship. It certainly is not a concept which translates to production lines or robotics. That is mere repetition.

Finally, there is an almost mystical concept. It is musicality.

Combining all of the concepts into a single term, we arrive at artistry.

Therein lies the price differential.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
The word which seems to have been lost in this discussion is quality. It is a very complex concept. If the concept of quality is not understood, then any resultant product will suffice for any application.

Consider also, craftsmanship. It certainly is not a concept which translates to production lines or robotics. That is mere repetition.

Finally, there is an almost mystical concept. It is musicality.

Combining all of the concepts into a single term, we arrive at artistry.

Therein lies the price differential.

Well said!

To speak to the OP, the development of pianos runs parallel to
the industrial age. The piano is the showcase of mechanical
production, and all manufacturers rely on machines.

However,as Marty says, getting the music into the piano takes
artisans. As far as tolerances, if you have ever taken apart
a late 1800's Steinway upright, you would know that no mechanized production could fit that together. Mechanized production means reducing the production to its bare assemblies
and designing these assemblies so the machines can pop them
out. In hand fitting, intuitive decisions based on experience
may alter some of the tone producing parts and adjustments to
get top performance.

The last 10% of performance can take 90% of the time of production.

Take care,

Steve

S
S
Labours..German workers earn about $20 per hour, well Chinese earn about $2. And there are 2 method of making pianos: the traditional way takes 6 months the other less than few days.

Handmade...all modern piano manufacturing involes some machineary, more or less. All cabinents are produced by CNC i believe. but from my knowledge:

- some aspect cannot be handled by machines YET for example gluing bridge to the soundboard. and to install the strings. its way too sensitive for machines to handle yet.

- some aspect can NEVER handled by machines, ie: voicing and final touch.

as for different material. I believe wood required for cabient is close as critical as the soundboard. they can be as cheap as ikea bed frame, in most cases, a special laminate.

as soundboard. my friend in material science already discuss the possibility of using poly material as the acoustical quality in theory is superior to wood.

I believe Steingraeber Phoenix is the model using carbon soundboard.

in terms of mass production: yes things have already been changed: thats why some traditional prestious manufacturers like PLEYEL struggles: crushed by mass produced product like Pearl River. FOr the cost of a pearl river piano they couldnt even buy the materials in france.

in the end you judge by ears fingers and eyes. you choose with your preferrence and budget.

here is a youtube video for your interest.
SChimmel production tour.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em3oOJLTMks

PLEYEL P124

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
If you can't hear and feel the difference between a great, expensive piano and one that is less expensive, count yourself lucky and buy the latter.

It all comes down to sound and touch. Very little else matters. (In my experience, quality of craftsmanship correlates pretty well with sound and touch, but if you disagree you might add that as the third factor.)

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
P
P
I can't tell if the OP is serious or just trolling.. I mean really..

Why does a t-shirt sell for $2 at walmart but can sell for $50 at designer stores? It's everything, labor market differences, quality differences, brand perception, etc. etc. etc. It's called a market and supply/demand. If you think you can make a better steinway for a fraction of the cost, I suggest you do so. I'll be in line to buy one of your pianos as will I'm sure many people.

Comparing pianos to cars is an apples to oranges comparison. Cars are practically a commodity, whereas pianos are luxury items. Also, the difference between an expensive car and cheap car are comparatively not that large, especially for the price. Direct injection vs. port injection adds to the cost, but you see how even cheap cars come now with direct injection.

Personally, I don't find pianos to be all that expensive, relatively speaking. Of course I'd like to pay less (as would everyone), but that's not reality. I bought a ~$3k sectional which is relatively simple in relation to the used Yamaha U1 I purchased for about the same price. Sure new the U1 is about $7k, but the work involved to make a U1 is much more complicated than a sectional w/ "just" some fabric/wood/cushioning. :p

Last edited by PianoWarrior; 01/30/13 12:21 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Parts, labor, reputation, marketing. Prices fascinate me. Often times the exact same product sells for divergent prices depending on venue. Beer in a supermarket might be $6 for a six-pack. At a sports stadium it might be $10 for one beer or 60x as much money, same product. Go to a department store, and take a dress shirt, change the label and nothing else, and it might mean a tripling in price at the same venue.

Luxury items such as pianos are priced mostly on perception. It is the same with most other luxury items, from watches to purses, to ski equipment to bicycles. I had this same conversation with someone about bicycles. The other person could not understand why anyone would spend 10x or 50x as much on a bike as someone else.

I talked about something much more down to earth, shoes. Most mass produced shoes or sneakers stocked in any store, cost $2 to $5 in materials, maybe another $2 to $5 in labor. A generic store brand pair of sneakers might list for $25. Slap a mid-level name label on it and the price goes up to $50. Sign up a big-name sports star to endorse it, and the price might be $300.

There is a veneer of technological differences (especially for stuff like golf clubs or ski equipment), or for some high end items: handmade vs. machine made, or made in Germany or USA vs. made in Mexico or China, but the big differences tend to be caused by marketing, and the differences in public perception superior marketing causes. It is not all that different with pianos. For pianos, marketing, reputation, strength of dealer network are huge factors.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Like most items, from t shirts to cars, for pianos there is not in most people's opinion a direct proportion between the quality of the item and its price. One cannot expect a seven foot piano costing 75K to be "five times as as good"(however one wants to interpret that)as a seven foot piano costing 15K. That is why Larry Fine(hoping I'm remembering his comment correctly), when asked by clients if some very expensive piano is a "good value for the money" usually says no. Of course, he doesn't mean the piano isn't a great piano. He's just echoing the idea I expressed in the first sentence.

In NYC I can by a loaf of bread for $3 and I can buy one for $10. Is the $10 loaf a good value?

Like most items, from t shirts to cars, for pianos there is not in most people's opinion a direct proportion between the quality of the item and its price. One cannot expect a seven foot piano costing 75K to be "five times as as good"(however one wants to interpret that)as a seven foot piano costing 15K. That is why Larry Fine(hoping I'm remembering his comment correctly), when asked by clients if some very expensive piano is a "good value for the money" usually says no. Of course, he doesn't mean the piano isn't a great piano. He's just echoing the idea I expressed in the first sentence.

In NYC I can by a loaf of bread for $3 and I can buy one for $10. Is the $10 loaf a good value? I don't know, but the $6 hamburger deluxe at the corner diner is just as good as the one at many other restaurants where the price is twice that amount.

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
I'm not sure about duplex being modern - Wikipedia says "...duplex scaling, invented by Theodore Steinway in 1872...".

More recently, some manufacturers have incorporated "tunable duplex", whereas some manufacturers don't have it at all.

You're right, the "duplex" is not a modern "feature" of the piano. All pianos from at least the early 1800s on have incorporated one or more duplex string segments. At issue is whether or not those duplex string segments are tuned. If an attempt has been made to make the length of a duplex string segment some specific partial of the fundamental speaking length it is more properly known as an aliquot duplex or a tuned duplex string segment. In some cases, as you have pointed out, a piano might have one or more tunable duplex string segments.

The tuned, or tunable, duplex can be used either at the front of the speaking string—i.e., between the V-bar and the counterbearing bar—or at the back of the speaking string between the bridge and the back string rest. Or both.

In spite of the many grandiose claims made for the back tuned duplex there is little or no actual evidence that it provides any real acoustical benefit to the piano. There is evidence that when the tuned, or aliquot, front duplex is working as it is supposedly intended to work it changes both the rate of decay and the length of decay. The rate of decay increases meaning that, after the initial percussive attack, the volume of the note(s) drops off more rapidly and the length of what we call sustain decreases. Whether or not this is an advantage is for the pianist to decide. Most of my customers over the years ultimately decided it was not.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Steven Y. A.
Labours..German workers earn about $20 per hour, well Chinese earn about $2. And there are 2 method of making pianos: the traditional way takes 6 months the other less than few days.

You make some good points, but…

Hourly labor costs certainly account for some price disparity but it doesn’t explain everything. To take two extremes: if a high-production grand requires, say 200 hours of labor at $5/hour (the days of $2/hour labor are long gone for the piano industry) the cost of labor will be $1,000. Let’s say a low-production piano of the same type and size takes 400 hours of labor at $20/hour; the cost of labor will be $8,000. That’s a big difference but it doesn’t account for one piano selling for $12,000 and the other for $100,000.

Handmade...all modern piano manufacturing involes some machineary, more or less. All cabinents are produced by CNC i believe. but from my knowledge:

- some aspect cannot be handled by machines YET for example gluing bridge to the soundboard. and to install the strings. its way too sensitive for machines to handle yet.

Bridges and ribs are often glued to soundboards in large, semi-automated presses. Bridge drilling, notching and pinning can be done at least as well by machine as by hand.

At least one company uses machines for just about all stringing operations.

- some aspect can NEVER handled by machines, ie: voicing and final touch.

Mostly true. At least so far.

as for different material. I believe wood required for cabient is close as critical as the soundboard. they can be as cheap as ikea bed frame, in most cases, a special laminate.[/i]

Most cabinet parts are now made of some kind of man-made materials such as MDF. Even in the high-end European pianos.

Many so-called “entry-level” pianos use reasonably high-end spruce in their soundboards. The difference in the cost of materials between adequate-grade spruce and high-end spruce is not all that great.

as soundboard. my friend in material science already discuss the possibility of using poly material as the acoustical quality in theory is superior to wood.

I believe Steingraeber Phoenix is the model using carbon soundboard.

I have seen carbon fiber soundboard panels in several Steingraeber pianos.

in terms of mass production: yes things have already been changed: thats why some traditional prestious manufacturers like PLEYEL struggles: crushed by mass produced product like Pearl River. FOr the cost of a pearl river piano they couldnt even buy the materials in france.

in the end you judge by ears fingers and eyes. you choose with your preferrence and budget.

This is pretty much it. Things have changed in mass production. The build quality has steadily improved over the years. The difference in build quality between the mass-produced grands of the 1960s and 1970s and those being built today is dramatic. As is their acoustical performance.

When I started out in this business the differences in aesthetics, detailing and performance between entry-level grands and the best of the high-end grands was significant. It was easily seen and heard by even beginning pianists.

Today that gap has narrowed considerably. To be sure there is still a difference in how well detailed a high-end grand will be relative to its entry-level counterpart but that difference is not as obvious. Nor is the difference in action performance or acoustic performance as great. Indeed, a well-prepped entry-level grand can come quite close to equaling some of those high-end grands. There may still be a difference but it is not nearly so great as it once was.

I have no idea where this will end but I can assure you that the manufacturers of those so-called entry-level pianos are not sitting around waiting for their competition to bury them; they are all considering their next moves and how they can narrow what aesthetic and performance gaps might yet remain.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

J
J
There's tons of things difference in between piano brands - patents between soundboards, differences of action, hammers, felt used, keys, size in piano, strings

and a carbon fibre acoustic piano? that wouldn't work..

Essex EUP-123S

T
T
Originally Posted by ju5t1n-h

and a carbon fibre acoustic piano? that wouldn't work..

I'm pretty sure the golf club and tennis racket people said the same thing...

Yamaha CLP-240....and looking
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
Parts, labor, reputation, marketing. Prices fascinate me. Often times the exact same product sells for divergent prices depending on venue. Beer in a supermarket might be $6 for a six-pack. At a sports stadium it might be $10 for one beer or 60x as much money, same product. Go to a department store, and take a dress shirt, change the label and nothing else, and it might mean a tripling in price at the same venue.

Luxury items such as pianos are priced mostly on perception. It is the same with most other luxury items, from watches to purses, to ski equipment to bicycles. I had this same conversation with someone about bicycles. The other person could not understand why anyone would spend 10x or 50x as much on a bike as someone else.

I talked about something much more down to earth, shoes. Most mass produced shoes or sneakers stocked in any store, cost $2 to $5 in materials, maybe another $2 to $5 in labor. A generic store brand pair of sneakers might list for $25. Slap a mid-level name label on it and the price goes up to $50. Sign up a big-name sports star to endorse it, and the price might be $300.

There is a veneer of technological differences (especially for stuff like golf clubs or ski equipment), or for some high end items: handmade vs. machine made, or made in Germany or USA vs. made in Mexico or China, but the big differences tend to be caused by marketing, and the differences in public perception superior marketing causes. It is not all that different with pianos. For pianos, marketing, reputation, strength of dealer network are huge factors.

If you've not already read it you'll find the book, The Language of Things -- Understanding the World of Desirable Objects by Deyan Sudjic (2009, WW Norton & Company, New York, NY.) interesting.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

S
S
One aesthetic gap for me is seeing "Young-Chang" or similar on the fallboard. They could do like Toyota did with the Lexus name, but you'd still have a gap. Maybe not an aesthetic or performance gap, but a gap of knowing your piano was stamped out in an automated factory using space-age materials. I think I'll call it the "humanity gap".

When a piano is reduced to the science of banging out scientifically perfect notes for the lowest price possible it will be on the far side of the humanity gap from me.

-Steve
1969 Yamaha U3
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by SteveM732
One aesthetic gap for me is seeing "Young-Chang" or similar on the fallboard. They could do like Toyota did with the Lexus name, but you'd still have a gap. Maybe not an aesthetic or performance gap, but a gap of knowing your piano was stamped out in an automated factory using space-age materials. I think I'll call it the "humanity gap".

When a piano is reduced to the science of banging out scientifically perfect notes for the lowest price possible it will be on the far side of the humanity gap from me.

So you don't like your Yamaha (which was built in one of the most automated piano assembly plants on earth).

Nor would you like the über-exclusive Steingraebers fitted with carbon fiber soundboards.

Most manufacturers of inexpensive pianos go out of their way to use—and market—traditional materials. You'll find more exotic materials in high-end, expensive pianos.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission