Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
71 registered (ando, anamnesis, barbaram, Al LaPorte, 36251, 24 invisible), 1277 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2024030 - 01/30/13 12:35 PM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: UK Paul UK]
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
I've sufered it on and off for years. My sympathies, hope this gives you more info and best wishes

http://www.nhs.uk/Search/Pages/Results.aspx?___JSSniffer=true&q=tinnitus

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2024047 - 01/30/13 01:00 PM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: UK Paul UK]
Matt Walker Offline

Loc: Birmingham, UK
My sympathy is with you, too. I've never suffered it, so cannot possibly know how frustrating it must be. Does it make appreciating your own playing very difficult?

#2024084 - 01/30/13 02:30 PM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: UK Paul UK]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Currently no... i have a tv going in the background and can hear it over a loud tv whilst i type this, quite clearly.... at the mo, once i concentrate on playing i dont notice it... however it has grown in volume over the nine days. I dont know if it will overpower my concentration at some point... then i will probably get very grumpy. I am more than a little concerned.

#2024240 - 01/30/13 07:33 PM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: UK Paul UK]
CHAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ski Country of Colorado
I have it occasionally. Sometimes it heralds the vertigo of Meniere's.
It was a problem with the piano, but not in the last two years.

#2024243 - 01/30/13 07:39 PM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: wouter79]
Fordsnack Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
wouter79 I will have to take my Db metre next time I jump on the tube. I am just relaying what my TRT guy told me, though I did dig out this. (a slightly fear mongering article maybe but interesting none the less)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3895769.stm

The point I was trying to make though was that that you could play fortissimo for an hour (going on that chart you linked) with no problems, unless you insist on having your head 10cm from the sound board...
youtube.com/elysiumproject

#2024443 - 01/31/13 04:14 AM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: Fordsnack]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
The thing is the tube is all low bass loud sounds so you don't tend to notice it as much when mixed in with everyday sounds.

Like the anti youth loitering device which sends out 120Db of annoying sounds to youths.

Although older people apparently can't hear it (I can and I'm 34) it can still be loud enough to cause hearing damage.

#2024459 - 01/31/13 06:09 AM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: UK Paul UK]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Fordsnack, I think you looked in the OSHA Daily Permissible Noise Level Exposure. I'm going with the NIOSH Daily Permissible Noise Level Exposure, and that makes a lot of difference. Check again. I'm not sure which one is the definite answer but I prefer to be on the safe side.

#2024461 - 01/31/13 06:14 AM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: UK Paul UK]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
My husband had a sudden loss of hearing in his left ear a couple of years ago followed by almost unbearable vertigo and nausea. Gradually that subsided but the hearing loss is permanent. He describes the tinnitus as a soprano singing a high A ALL the time. He has gradually adapted and returned to work but when he's tired that soprano is working overtime. He calls her "Judy". The brain certainly adapts and learns to background the tinnitus but still a lifelong situation to deal with. I hope yours resolves and you return to optimal hearing. I imagine that concentrating on piano does help your brain put the tinnitus in the background. Best wishes to any of you who deal with this challenge.

Love to learn

#2024471 - 01/31/13 07:03 AM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: UK Paul UK]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Yea, it's interesting but my online research with Idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss it is almost always the left ear. Without immidiate treatment the deafness can stay leaving only tinitus. I think had I known this 15 years ago I would not have lost so much hearing. That's why I'm on top of it this time.

For me the old familiar whine is not "Judy" but rather southern chicadas. But after years of it you really do adapt.

#2024497 - 01/31/13 08:34 AM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: wouter79]
Fordsnack Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Wouter, with a bit of reading I found OSHA is the regulation noise limits, and NIOSH seems to be the recommended. So yes, to be on the safe side it might be best to go along with NIOSH. But one should still not worry about playing piano even then. As the piano fortissimo, according to that link is 84-103db, I would think it is unlikely that one would sustain fortissimo at its peak 103d. So that is according to NIOSH between 8 hours a day at its quietest fortissimo and somewhere under 25 minutes at its loudest fortissimo. If I remember to take my db metre into school on saturday I will have a look.

From my experience with tinnitus, worrying about how loud things are, and actively avoiding them leads to increased perception of tinnitus and the onset of hyperacusis. This knowledge teemed with a bit of common sense I was able to sustain a healthy relationship with the piano, and I believe others can too.
youtube.com/elysiumproject

#2026023 - 02/02/13 08:03 PM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: UK Paul UK]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
i have to report back that after two weeks of chinese herbs & acupuncture (1 treatment per week plus daily herb pills) my tinnitus is much better. still have a high pitched ringing but auditory instability & pain from high pitched sounds greatly diminished.

a friend had recommended i try it, since western medicine doesn't have any solutions for tinnitus. of course this approach is treating the whole, not just the symptom. your mileage may vary, but so far i'm very pleased with the progress.

#2026032 - 02/02/13 08:34 PM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: UK Paul UK]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
NIOSH cites 85dBA as a danger level for long term exposure, 100dBA as dangerous if exposed for 15 minutes a day, and 94 dBA as dangerous at 1 hour a day.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

#2026174 - 02/03/13 04:25 AM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: UK Paul UK]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Interesting entheo.... hypersensetivity to sound is a real partner in crime with the constant ringing..... day twelve.... getting louder lol....

#2026226 - 02/03/13 08:46 AM Re: tinnitus, oh the joy for a music lover... [Re: UK Paul UK]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I am having quite a time with both tinnitus and hypersensitivity right now too. Some of mine comes from work; those dB charts never have a listing for "Kid with autism screaming right in your face" or "50 noisy kids in a small gym."

Practicing piano has been pretty uncomfortable for the last few days. I ordered some new ear plugs and some passive headphones. I need to contact my health insurance co. to see what audiologist they will pay for me to see.

I read recently that there are some new treatments for tinnitus--still experimental, but even the thought makes me hopeful!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bob Marley - Is this love piano cover
by Danijelcro
11/28/14 07:28 AM
android - QWERTY bluetooth keyboard as a midi piano
by mathy10544
11/28/14 06:30 AM
Black Friday is here - Seen any deals?
by MeghanM
11/28/14 01:16 AM
MIDI in on a Kawai VPC-1...
by pocoapoco
11/28/14 12:35 AM
Just joined
by wise_manzard
11/27/14 10:20 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159413 Topics
2341727 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission