Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2023599 - 01/29/13 06:32 PM Using pedal in Baroque pieces
Debbusyist Offline

Loc: I'm standing upside down...
When is it acceptable and when is it not acceptable to use pedal in a Baroque piece? How much pedal should you allow?

Just asking for your opinion on this.
Slowly adding more on...

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2023603 - 01/29/13 06:38 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Two things:

(1) What your ear tells you (making sure not to screw up any voices), AND
(2) Don't follow any supposed "rules." smile

#2023605 - 01/29/13 06:44 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Purists will tell you "NEVER!", but don't listen to that garbage.

#2023617 - 01/29/13 07:14 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Mark_C]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Two things:

(1) What your ear tells you (making sure not to screw up any voices), AND
(2) Don't follow any supposed "rules." smile

Wishing I had a facebook like button right now.

#2023633 - 01/29/13 07:53 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

I do pretty much what my ears tell me to do. It can vary depending on what piano I'm using and the acoustic I'm playing in. (My pedaling in all music, not just Baroque, isn't set in stone. It's not even set in plasticine. wink )

Not what some self-appointed purists say what one can or cannot do.

#2023646 - 01/29/13 08:08 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Since, as evidenced by the multitude of approaches taken by the great Bach players, there is no one correct way to use the pedal in Bach, purists cannot have much to say about this issue.

Nor do I think that doing what one's ears tell you is a good answer to what's the correct approach. It's only "correct" or at least reasonable if the person using their ears has a certain level of skill.

#2023716 - 01/29/13 10:38 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: JoelW]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW

Exactly!

The piano wasn't even invented yet (obviously), so when a purist poo-poos your use of pedal, just poo-poo them listening to Bach on a piano! "Well, the harpsichord in getting restrung, so I had to make due this" wink

#2023735 - 01/29/13 11:17 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: DanS]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: DanS
Originally Posted By: JoelW

Exactly!

The piano wasn't even invented yet (obviously), so when a purist poo-poos your use of pedal, just poo-poo them listening to Bach on a piano! "Well, the harpsichord in getting restrung, so I had to make due this" wink

Well put. smile

#2023737 - 01/29/13 11:24 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: DanS]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.

The piano wasn't even invented yet (obviously), so when a purist poo-poos your use of pedal, just poo-poo them listening to Bach on a piano! "Well, the harpsichord in getting restrung, so I had to make due this"

Great post! laugh

In playing Bach on the piano I have always favored a 'discreet' (key word, there) use of the pedal, though I understand it is a rather contentious issue. stores (a member no longer active, but still makes occasional appearances) always railed against it, though I have never quite understood his 'none at all!' stance.

As an organist, one of the most exciting recorded performances of Bach's P&F in E minor BWV 548 (nicknamed 'Wedge') I have ever heard comes from Samuel Soria at LA's Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels.

Obviously it is an instrument which would have been totally foreign (in more than one way) to Bach, yet Soria's performance IMO captures all the excitement and drive of his most ambitious P&F. I've listened to myriad performances of this piece on historically and self-congratulatory 'correct' instruments, but sorry 'Baroque Boys' (Virgil Fox's delightfully derogatory term), you don't own this piece, and Bach's genius simply transcends the instruments of his day.

The modern piano does too, and let us enjoy -and be enlightened- by what the great contemporary pianists offer. Cheers!

#2023745 - 01/29/13 11:51 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
The Well Tempered Clavier...well, the title seems clear enough, but, um, as I recall (I could be wrong), Bach didn't tend to even indicate instrumentation...so...I don't know, complete that train of thought and you end up with a point laugh
Xxx

#2023746 - 01/29/13 11:54 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Mark_C]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Two things:

(1) What your ear tells you (making sure not to screw up any voices),

I have tried, because I would like to learn to do it well and discreetly, but my ear always tells me no. Not sure if it is to be trusted confused

#2023750 - 01/30/13 12:05 AM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
Debbusyist Offline

Loc: I'm standing upside down...
Two things:

(1) What your ear tells you (making sure not to screw up an voices),

The thing is, my ear is weird. The things that my ear likes are generally not what the examiners like. >< Also, I tend to overuse/abuse the pedal during baroque pieces, as I sometimes...'cough' hide my blunders with pedal.
Slowly adding more on...

#2023755 - 01/30/13 12:17 AM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: DanS]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
[...] so I had to make due this" wink

??

#2023756 - 01/30/13 12:23 AM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: BruceD]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
Originally Posted By: BruceD

??

Make do with, I believe was the intent...

#2023760 - 01/30/13 12:33 AM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Debbusyist
Two things:

The thing is, my ear is weird. The things that my ear likes are generally not what the examiners like. >< Also, I tend to overuse/abuse the pedal during baroque pieces, as I sometimes...'cough' hide my blunders with pedal.

My ear is like yours, even when I'm not trying to hide anything.

But the thing is, we're stuck with our ear. We can try to develop how we hear further and further, but ultimately what we've got is our ear. And at every given time, however imperfect it is, we're far better off using it (and following it) than not using it. smile

#2023782 - 01/30/13 01:42 AM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Debbusyist
Two things:

Oh, you're talking about exams? Well, then you need to find out what their expectations are, not our opinions.

Personally, I don't use pedal in Baroque music, but I don't really care if other people do or not. But one irrefutable point about it should be mentioned: using the pedal cannot actually be necessary for playing Baroque keyboard music, since it didn't exist when the music was being written.

#2023783 - 01/30/13 01:48 AM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: wr]
Mark_C Offline

Most of what we do in music isn't "necessary." It is to enhance with what is possible. smile

#2023795 - 01/30/13 02:35 AM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
Ian_G Offline

Loc: Germany
Discreetly. Did English Jason say discreetly, too? He did. If the bees had knees, sir, if the bees had knees. One should use the soft pedal, too.

#2023801 - 01/30/13 02:55 AM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
For the G minor P/F, use LOTS of pedal. If your examiner has a problem with it, he can deal with it.

Don't "predict" what the examiner will say. Do what you feel is right. Make your own artistic choices.

#2023807 - 01/30/13 03:42 AM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
I'm not going to argue about this one way of the other. Most of you here already know my stance. I WILL, however, leave the video below and state that most often our use of the pedal (not only with Bach, but with any composer) arises out of the need to cover up and as a result we form a bad habit by using this crutch. Argue all you like... I don't care. If you want to lie to yourself, that's fine by me (at least the OP has the courage to admit he leans on the pedal, because he doesn't know what he's doing). The vast majority of us don't spend NEARLY enough time learning how to play legato, nor do many of us even know HOW.

Watch... this

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2023839 - 01/30/13 05:18 AM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
Pedalling for most players just blurs the counterpoint. Nail it first without pedal, then consider where you d add some. My favourite baroque recordings for piano lack pedal and i don t miss it at all. If ther perfect pedalling for Bach is Barenboim's use of it on the WTK, then no pedal, thanks. Ever.

#2023842 - 01/30/13 05:27 AM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: izaldu]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: izaldu
Pedalling for most players just blurs the counterpoint.
Something to really watch out for.

There was a pedal in those days, in a sense - some harpsichords had a swell - a kind of venetian blind under the lid that opened with a pedal. When the piano came along the pedal was used for just that effect and was actually called the loud pedal. Use it for that.

#2023854 - 01/30/13 06:22 AM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Andras Schiff uses finger pedaling in the WTC, as he mentioned in a YouTube lecture. It's not clear whether he actually uses the sustain pedal occasionally as well (I think he did mention using it once).

But most other pianists who've recorded the WTC and other Bach keyboard music (like the Goldberg and the Partitas) on the piano use the pedal discreetly (some less discreetly than others grin) - Richter, Barenboim, Ashkenazy, Argerich, Perahia, Weissenberg, Nikolayeva, Fray, Bacchetti, Hewitt.....the list goes on.

#2023978 - 01/30/13 10:58 AM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
Interesting, chopin, i never heard of that.

I guess some pedal in certain very specific parts is ok ... but to use the pedal as an expressive tool, as part of the interpretation, always kills it for me when it comes to baroque. Can't really define it. To achieve it through fingering is the idea. Again, not bashing it, but that version of WTK by Barenboim ... the pedal just takes over, even with Barenboim's talent the results are disappointing to me. It doesn' t sound like Bach to me. I am very fond of Weissenberg s Bach, and if he uses any pedal, i definitely don t hear much of it. It still sounds pretty light and clear.

Compare Hewitt's and Tharaud's versions of Les barricades mysterieuses from the 6eme ordre. I like Tharaud, but his pedaling just makes the piece too piano and less baroque for me. Hewitt nails it , slower tempo and much clearer phrasing. Tharaud s too energetic and fast and blurry from all the pedalling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSlCZmxE_go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=007UKwIhQiQ

#2024026 - 01/30/13 12:31 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: chopin_r_us]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
If I remember correctly, the Venetian swell and other devices were to provide a sort of cresc/decresc and were only a feature of late English harpsichords, to compete (and fail) against the fortepianos. The Venetian swell was also very heavy to lift right up, to provide maximum volume. So, nothing really to do with pedalling and Bach probably never came across one AFAIK. The one in Fenton House London is dated 1798, just a little late for our JS.

#2024066 - 01/30/13 01:46 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: stores]
MathGuy Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: stores
Watch... this
Remarkably beautiful playing by Schiff there, and thanks for the link.

I'll venture to say that most pianos would sound drier than that without the damper pedal. I've read that Schiff isn't pedalling Bach at all these days, and will take it on faith that he wasn't doing so in that performance. However, without that information, I would have guessed that that the continuous resonant glow in the piano's sound was achieved through very light and judicious pedalling. Anyway, it sounds marvelous!

#2024070 - 01/30/13 02:04 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: sandalholme]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: sandalholme
If I remember correctly, the Venetian swell and other devices were to provide a sort of cresc/decresc and were only a feature of late English harpsichords, to compete (and fail) against the fortepianos. The Venetian swell was also very heavy to lift right up, to provide maximum volume. So, nothing really to do with pedalling and Bach probably never came across one AFAIK. The one in Fenton House London is dated 1798, just a little late for our JS.
Well, I think you got me there - Shudi patented his Venetian Swell in 1769. Still, I traced the Nag's Head Swell to 1754!

#2024268 - 01/30/13 08:25 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: izaldu]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: izaldu
Pedalling for most players just blurs the counterpoint. Nail it first without pedal, then consider where you d add some. My favourite baroque recordings for piano lack pedal and i don t miss it at all. If ther perfect pedalling for Bach is Barenboim's use of it on the WTK, then no pedal, thanks. Ever.
If you're talking about professionals who are known as good or great Bach players I think many/most would disagree.

My strong impression is that many/most of the great Bach players use at least some pedal in their playing, and the idea that they blur the counterpoint(whatever you mean by that)seems rather extraordinary to me. If you're talking about amateurs or very ordinary pros who play little Bach, then it's possible what you say could be partially true although certainly not as a broad generalization IMO.

To me the idea that a player on the level of Barenboim "blurs the counterpoint" is almost inconceivable. Perhaps you can post a YouTube example of piece where you think he does this so others can decide if they agree with you.

#2024271 - 01/30/13 08:36 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: MathGuy]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: MathGuy

... will take it on faith that he wasn't doing so in that performance.

If you watch long enough, you'll see his feet are nowhere near the pedals. He doesn't need them. I've heard/seen him many times and have never seen him engage the pedal with Bach, which, I must add, is very, very impressive.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2024275 - 01/30/13 08:44 PM Re: Using pedal in Baroque pieces [Re: Debbusyist]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
To make a blanket decision to not use pedal in Bach is just lazy. Good pedaling is a very high level skill and quite difficult, so it is definitely much easier to just not pedal. Good pedaling requires intense listening.

Go ahead and feel free to use as much or as little pedal in Bach as you like. To make it even more complicated/fun, experiment with the shift pedal ( the one on the left ) and the sostenuto pedal ( the one in the middle ) and even with different combinations of the pedals. You might find some magic!
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
126 registered (aesop, Allard, ajames, accordeur, alans, 34 invisible), 1603 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75893 Members
42 Forums
156829 Topics
2304415 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Tuning Database
by Sean Montgomery
Today at 05:35 AM
POSTING PICTURES
by bluebilly
Today at 03:19 AM
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
Today at 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission