Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2024279 - 01/30/13 08:51 PM how to bind sheet music? some problems
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
i printed some pdf sheet music online, then i punched 3 holes in the pages and put them in a binder.

some problems:

the sheet music droops to one side. is there a way to bind sheet music that is cheap (3 ring binder + 3 hole punch is cheap) and also allows you to easily add in more sheet music later (3 hole binder). i was looking at some binding options at staples, most were not cheap nor would you be able to easily add more pages later when needed. so what options do i have? and how do you organize your sheet music? and is it necessary to bind the sheet music?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2024282 - 01/30/13 09:01 PM Re: how to bind sheet music? some problems [Re: adak]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I've had this problem with 3-ring binders too, so I got myself a 4-ring one, which minimises the page droop.
But mostly I use display books like this one:display book.
Reflection from the plastic pages can be a problem, but it works for me in most circumstances. I don't know whether these are available where you are, but you can certainly add extra pages easily.

#2024294 - 01/30/13 09:43 PM Re: how to bind sheet music? some problems [Re: adak]
MaggieGirl Offline

That is very cool! I've been gluing pages to black folders for performance pieces she practices over and over. It's durable without glare but I thought there had to be a better option. laugh

#2024295 - 01/30/13 09:47 PM Re: how to bind sheet music? some problems [Re: MaggieGirl]
Oongawa Offline

It sounds like you printed it on ordinary cheap paper. Try using some heavier paper. It isn't expensive and something like card stock would never sag. An ordinary printer can print on thicker paper, that won't be a problem.
Saint Saens- Danse Macabre
Attempting a little blues improv
'69 Mason & Hamlin Model A

#2024298 - 01/30/13 09:50 PM Re: how to bind sheet music? some problems [Re: adak]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
It might help somewhat to print your music on a stiffer paper. If you bind your pages in covers which are the same dimensions as the paper, there will be nothing for them to droop over. You could even cut down the edges, if it comes to that.

#2024300 - 01/30/13 09:53 PM Re: how to bind sheet music? some problems [Re: adak]
adak Offline

it is not the paper, it is thick and stiff enough, it is the three holes that is the problem. try it for yourself to see what i mean.

Edited by adak (01/30/13 11:17 PM)

#2024485 - 01/31/13 08:01 AM Re: how to bind sheet music? some problems [Re: adak]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I have my piano music, trombone music, handbell music, and voice choir music in 3 ring binders. (different ones, of course) I've never noticed the droop problem, but I do use the punch with the big holes. Maybe that makes a difference. For sure stiff paper makes a difference.

I also have some I bound with that plastic edge binder like you see at Staples. That is much nicer. It's pretty easy to add pages, the same machine that binds them pries apare that plastic clip thingie.

Years ago a fellow trombone player came up with an idea to make his marching band music indestructable. It is a bit complicated but he raved about it. He scanned the music, converted it to mirror image, and printed it on the back of a transparency sheet. Then he glued poster stock under that, so the print was sandwiched between the transparency sheet (like for the old overhead projectors) and the poster stock (like for yard sales signs). He could definitely play in the rain! and the transparency didn't glare in the sun quite as bad as a sheet protector, but it could still be a problem on a real bright day.

#2024493 - 01/31/13 08:19 AM Re: how to bind sheet music? some problems [Re: adak]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If you shop for sheet protectors, be sure to get the kind marked "non-glare". These work. They do not have glare that you get with regular sheet protectors.

#2024519 - 01/31/13 09:18 AM Re: how to bind sheet music? some problems [Re: adak]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
I print double sided on stiff paper (100g). Then I get them comb bound at Staples. Works well.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2024576 - 01/31/13 11:00 AM Re: how to bind sheet music? some problems [Re: ten left thumbs]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I was also going to suggest sheet protectors. I have my music in thick binders and use the non-glare, better quality sheet protectors with no problem.

#2034197 - 02/16/13 10:20 AM how to bind sheet music? some problems
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
If you are using sheet protectors and regular paper is too floppy you can slip a blank piece of card stock behind your music. It is not necessary to copy on to the cardstock.

#2034290 - 02/16/13 02:28 PM Re: how to bind sheet music? some problems [Re: adak]
Bluoh Offline

I tape the individual sheets together side-by-side (so when you open everything up it makes one long line), and fold it accordion style (so it opens up like a book). Then I hole-punch the left side and put it in a binder.

This works great and it's not floppy at all.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
163 registered (*windowlicker*, Abby Pianoman, ajames, accordeur, anamnesis, 36251, 49 invisible), 1491 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75959 Members
42 Forums
157088 Topics
2306923 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New old Vose and Sons Upright Piano
by RT White
17 minutes 39 seconds ago
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
Today at 08:28 AM
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
Today at 08:04 AM
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
Today at 03:55 AM
Consolation 3 played by Paul Barton question
by briandang
Today at 01:37 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission