2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 140 of 540 1 2 138 139 140 141 142 539 540
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Thank you for your post on the Moonlight, Irene. Much appreciated.

Richard
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome back, Cas. You we missed. Five weeks away from your piano is a long time. I bet you are happy to be back on the bench!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
Welcome back, Cas. You we missed. Five weeks away from your piano is a long time. I bet you are happy to be back on the bench!

Thanks SwissMS, nice to be missed, and yes, I am indeed happy to be back (it wasn't quite 5 weeks away from piano as my sister does have one and I did play most days when I was with her. I just didn't manage to play every day because we were so busy!)

I have been trying to decide what my next piece is going to be. This has entailed some sight reading today to get the feel of various pieces. I am as yet completely undecided. .... but having fun!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

P
pg2 Offline
P
Managed to work out some decent fingering by myself I think. I'm sure the teacher will let me know if I've screwed it up.

Managed to get a couple of clear sounding tones out of the viola. Of course they disappeared immediately but now I know they are in there somewhere.

Where did you say middle "C" was?

Proud owner of a 1917 Chas. Brothers Grand Piano named "Goldy" She sings like a bird. I lucked out Big Time.

Korg SP 250
M
M
congrats on both your piano and your viola progress, pg2. I've been left to my own devices on the fingering of a Schumann piece (honestly, what was my teacher thinking?!). Predictably, my fingers are in knots, though even with good fingering Schumann has a way of doing that. Unfortunately, my lesson has been postponed twice (once because my teacher lucked out on a last minute opera ticket, the second time, because of the typhoon), so I've been practicing with this fingering and it might be hard to unlearn if she has a better suggestion. We'll see on Friday...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Finally got to the end of Jeux D'eau!!!

Be yourself

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie: Jeux D'eau -- wow, I just listened to a version of this on youtube. That's a tough one! Congrats.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryAnn
...so I've been practicing with this fingering and it might be hard to unlearn if she has a better suggestion. We'll see on Friday...

My teacher does that too, but when you are figuring out the fingering yourself, that's a learning process too. When your teacher has a better suggestion, you learn these better fingering as well. The more you do it, the more independent you become when learning a new piece.

It is annoying when you have to unlearn fingering you've spent hours practising then spend some more hours learning the new ones!

Be yourself

Gold Level Forums Subscriber Until Aug 29 2013
Gold Level Forums Subscriber Until Aug 29 2013
Woohoo!! I just learned the final measure of my very first 'real' song!! It only took 4 months of hammering away at it. whome

Of course that includes the 'weeks' I took off because I was hitting walls.

I never realized how beautiful the last few measures were... I didn't learn it from reading the sheet music as much as I did from 'feeling' what the note progression was. That was a really cool feeling as I was playing it. Now I just need to practice practice practice to get the finger memory going better!

heh... I'm almost too happy to go to bed now. grin

"Music is something so innocent and pure, it makes a person completely naked - in music you cannot lie." - Alice Sara Ott

Playing since December 6, 2011.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Catching up!

Carlos....good call on turning down the performance idea from work. I think it sounded like a recipe for disaster.
I also see your point on why you play and why having an audience (especially such a large one) isn't what you are looking for.

Irene, that sounds like very satisfying progress on your Beethoven! Good for you!

Pg2, sounds like you are making progress in figuring things out - on two instruments nonetheless! How lovely to be working with the viola as well as the piano. With modern technology you could even play a duet with yourself some day!

MaryAnn, I've had lessons cancelled before, but never because of a typhoon. That sounds unnerving to me. I've yet to play any Schumann so I will have to see how knotty my fingers get some time in the future!

Tubbie, I had to look up Jeux d'eau too. Wow! How long did you have to work to learn that piece? That is quite an accomplishment!

Stryder, you sound justifiably proud of yourself! What an exciting moment. Which piece did you learn? Have you recorded it ? I have found that by recording my pieces I get to really hear the progress I've made over time. You might get some satisfaction out of recording it now, and then again in a few months! Congrats!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Tubbie, I had to look up Jeux d'eau too. Wow! How long did you have to work to learn that piece? That is quite an achievement!

My teacher left me with Jeux D'eau with some fingering for the first 4 pages before he disappeared for a holiday. It's been 6 or 7 weeks now and I've finally learned all the notes (13 pages). At almost half the speed, the first 5 pages are ok. Pages 6-8 is tricky but I reckon I'll just need a week or 2 before I'll have it under my belt. Pages 9-10 is relatively easy but still new to me. Pages 11-13 has the most technically and harmonically challenging bits. I'll be needing my teacher to show me his take on the fingerings and techniques to use.

I'll be playing this piece to my teacher for the first time this Sunday. That's why I've been hiring a piano practice room while holidaying in Sydney. I reckon it will take me another 2-3 months before I can play the piece in its entirety, still at a slower tempo.

I don't think my teacher expects me to play this to performance level since it is more difficult than what I'm capable of. But I'm having lots of fun, satisfaction and will learn a lot of techniques and musicality from it.

I hope I get assigned Chopin's Ballade No. 1 next ;-)

Be yourself

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
I try to do my own fingering for new pieces. My teacher will suggest a different one if I'm struggling in a particular section. It is a great learning opportunity and helps you figure out effective hand movements.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
My biggest achievement is I bought myself a grand piano a few weeks ago! I have not had much chance to play as when it was delivered we left for vacation two days later! Now we're back and I'm very motivated to play. It was almost torture having to leave but what a cool thing to see when we walked back in the house. I've posted details on the Piano Forum if anybody wants to see pictures. Now to work on some real musical accomplishments like all the other folks here!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Its a beauty, ZoeCalgary! It doesn't get much better than sitting down at your new baby, does it?

Congratulations. I'm sure you will make some beautiful music together.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Zoe, that is a stunning piano! How exciting for you!
Many wishes for hours and hours of beautiful music over the years!

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
No AOTW for me, but I just got out of my lesson and have a new assignment.... Moonlight first movement.

I'm juiced. grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
JimF and CasinItaly thanks so much. There is nothing like it! Never in my wildest dreams did I ever believe I would own a grand!

JimF - congratulations on the new piece! Wow! My teacher doesn't assign me music though I wish she would! But then again it's not like I don't have enough on my plate already!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
No AOTW for me, but I just got out of my lesson and have a new assignment.... Moonlight first movement.

I'm juiced. grin

Oh wow, that is going to be fun! I would be juiced too.

[Linked Image]

M
M
Congrats on your new piano, Zoe; and congrats on your new piece, JimF!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats on your new grand Zoe! I know how pumped I am over getting a new digital, I can't even imagine the joy of a grand! smile

Jim: That is awesome news! I was working on it but put it aside as it's still too far ahead of me yet. Enjoy it!

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Page 140 of 540 1 2 138 139 140 141 142 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission