2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
So I have posted some questions on here about pianos, digital vs acoustic, my sons hearing loss, etc...and everyone has been wonderful. Well, we decided to take up our neighbors on their offer of their family piano. It was moved down the street to our house today...and surprise (I have been really nervous), the mover, who is quite knowledgable in pianos was impressed, really impressed for the condition for its age. It is a Weber New York, serial number 49708. He actually stuck around and played it for a while! He was saying they see so many horror stories of old pianos that people take care of but don't age well, he was really surprised! Made me feel a little relief. It is rosewood and the keys are in good shape, only one small chip on edge of one key. Sounded nice...my son will be so excited after school. I am trying to figure out how to post pics. The mover said I should tell the tuner, that he needs to see this piano. So glad we decided to try this out, a new adventure with an old piano. Just had to share...

[Linked Image]

[email:http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/image.jpg]http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/image.jpg[/email]

Last edited by Rickster; 01/29/13 05:14 PM. Reason: Help with picture posting
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi TJPP!

I took the liberty of posting the picture of your new-to-you Weber in your post window... hope you don't mind. smile

Congratulations on a fine looking instrument!

I have a soft spot in my heart for old pianos. smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
I, too, have a great deal of sympathy for old pianos. Yes, they are sometimes in need of extensive restoration, and yes, sometimes that restoration is more than the value of the instrument (in terms of ££), but you know, sometimes you get a good one, and the sound is just everything you could want!

Webers made piano in this country too, I'm not sure if they were the same or different to the American ones, but they were good pianos.

YAMAHA Artist
T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you Rickster...I was trying to figure out how to do that!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by joe80
Webers made piano in this country too, I'm not sure if they were the same or different to the American ones, but they were good pianos.

Just so everyone remains completely confused there were no less than nine piano manufacturers who used the name WEBER.

Weber, Albert NY
Weber & Co, East Rochester NY
Weber, E & Co. NY
Weber, F Berlin Germany
Weber, Ferdinand Dublin
Weber, Frederick NY
Weber & Fuchs Eisenberg Germany
Weber Piano Co. England
Weber Piano Co. Kingston, Canada

Now if that is not enough then we can start on the Weber’s with two B’s......

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Congratulations!

That's a very handsome piano. Does it sound as good as it looks? Can't wait to hear about your son's reaction.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
S
S
Looking great! Congratulations.

PLEYEL P124
T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you for all the encouragement! Have to say it has been a fun day! My son was thrilled, literally threw off the backpack and started playing! Smile a mile wide....Played all his songs that he knows, then used my ipad to look up Coldplay (his favorite) and taught himself several bars of Clocks and Viva La Vida. (He knows quite a bit of the Scientist too.). He was on the piano all night, hard to even get him to go to bed! His older brother, very supportive (cello player) and little sister was dancing around and playing the old keyboard, was a fun night in our house!

Will be interesting to see how it sticks over time! He did jump back over to his keyboard to try a song and he commented how it was easier to play, but prefers the old, new to us acoustic piano. He did not make any comments about his hearing aids or sound, so it will be interesting to see how that goes too!

T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
One more question...how do I know which Weber it is and the year? Assuming the serial numbers are all different by brand. We have a call into a recommended tuner, so hope to find out more then! Any other pics I should post?

T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Marty-yes, it sounds great, again, surprising, can't imagine what it will sound like fully tuned!

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
That's a good=looking piano! I had a Weber seven-foot grand for many years (from the Aeolian era -- c. 1917) and got much (and strenuous) use out of it. Good sound; it was a real piano. I hope yours is as well. Let us know the date of manufacture if you find it out.

For what it's worth, my serial number was on an ivory keyslip riveted to the left side of the interior case. But with an upright, it could be elsewhere.

The Weber logo on the fallboard looks just like yours, but mine said "New York - London." Also there was the image of an eagle, in relief, cast into the plate

T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have a couple more photos, how do I add to post? Thanks for the help!

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Great--congratulations! I'm sure you and your family will get huge enjoyment out of this lucky piano.

1989 Baldwin R
That's great that you found one in playable condition. Too many times I have seen beautiful instruments that had no hope of producing a sound to match their case.

Quid est veritas et mendacium, cum orbis terrarum.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Congrats - what a great looking piano!

If you should decide you want to have the Ivory chip repaired, it can be, btw (some people don't realize this). If it's a small chip it can be repaired and the original keytop retained... I think if the chip is too big the tech would replace the keytop.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Originally Posted by TJPP
I have a couple more photos, how do I add to post? Thanks for the help!

Copy the URL address of your picture (starting with http and ending with jpg). In the full post window, select the 4th icon from top left and click "insert a nonfloating image" from the drop-down menu. Paste the URL address of the pic in the prompt script pop-up window and click OK.

To see if your picture is pasted in your post, click on the "Preview Post" icon at the bottom left.

Hope this helps...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Alright, I am trying again...was having a hard time with multiple photos!i couldn't figure how to get the names to change.
[img]http://s1298.beta.photobucket.com/user/Tjppnw/library/[/img]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Rickster; 01/31/13 10:39 AM. Reason: Assist with posting photos
Thought I'd help you out again...

You have to right click on the photo on the pic hosting site and then select "properties" that is where you will see the URL address.

Great looking piano!

Rick

T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Rick, not sure how I got through this posting without you, thanks! Pianos, big learning curve, posting pictures, big learning curve as well smile

Our son was still playing strong last night, I cannot believe how in a couple of nights he has gotten as far in learning a song or two as he has, especially with having to have a little more pressure behind the keys with the differences in the action. He also has been using the pedals and learning the differences in that too. He didn't have that in the partial keyboard digital.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
It's so much fun to read an up-beat thread with a great outcome!

Now you just have to excavate your trapped artwork and wait for the tuner.

PS - Are you experienced with "revitalizing" an old varnish finish? If you would like a few tips, send me a PM.

Enjoy,

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission