Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2020114 - 01/24/13 05:21 AM Discount?
Slowdown Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

I know this topic has been touched on before, but I don't think with this precise slant.

I'm considering offering students a discount (maybe 5%) if they pay up-front (ie. in week 1) for the whole school term (usually, in Australia, about ten weeks).

My student policy requires up-front payment for the month or term, but there are always a few "stragglers". I know some teachers charge a late fee - but I was thinking it might be nice to reward the people who do the right thing, while providing an incentive to pay right on time.

I'm wondering what experience various teachers have of offering discounts?

Cheers, Paul

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2020124 - 01/24/13 06:11 AM Re: Discount? [Re: Slowdown]
Nannerl Mozart Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia, Melbourne
My singing teacher's policy is 10% discount if a person pays in ten week blocks, the money must come within the first two weeks of the new ten week block. I've been through eight private instrumental teachers altogether, none of them operate that way, but the way it works in the studio I work, the money is to be paid at the beginning of every month.

#2020181 - 01/24/13 08:13 AM Re: Discount? [Re: Slowdown]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
I give a 5% pre-payment credit if 5 mos or more are paid up front.

#2020231 - 01/24/13 09:52 AM Re: Discount? [Re: Slowdown]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
It's a nice-sounding concept from the student point of view, Paul, and you might get paid quicker. But it's also money coming right out of your income. If every student in your studio takes advantage of the offer, you have just implemented a 5% pay cut!
Probably not your intention.

We piano teachers earn so little, that I have yet to try the discount idea. But yes, I have thought about it, more along John's line: i.e., payment for half a year of lessons in advance, or maybe the whole teaching year.

Edited by Peter K. Mose (01/24/13 01:42 PM)

#2020444 - 01/24/13 03:10 PM Re: Discount? [Re: Slowdown]
ezpiano.org Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
I never offer discount like this before.
However, I think I will consider it next year. I will have 5% discount for parents who pay ONE YEAR in advanced, that is 10 months of piano tuition.
Then I will have 2.5% discount for parents who pay half year in advanced.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2020586 - 01/24/13 05:13 PM Re: Discount? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
BinghamtonPiano Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
It's a nice-sounding concept from the student point of view, Paul, and you might get paid quicker. But it's also money coming right out of your income. If every student in your studio takes advantage of the offer, you have just implemented a 5% pay cut!

We piano teachers earn so little, that I have yet to try the discount idea. But yes, I have thought about it, more along John's line: i.e., payment for half a year of lessons in advance, or maybe the whole teaching year.

I totally agree with Peter. Why would you take a 5% pay cut? For those who repeatedly "forget" to pay on time, institute a late fee of $25 and see how quickly they start paying on time! smile

White Rabbit - 60's, 70's & 80's classic rock, southern rock and blues rock band - Binghamton, NY.
www.thewhiterabbitband.com

#2020630 - 01/24/13 06:08 PM Re: Discount? [Re: BinghamtonPiano]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: BinghamtonPiano
I totally agree with Peter. Why would you take a 5% pay cut?

It's not necessarily a 5% pay cut. You have use of the money for many months in advance. For example, if you have outstanding balances on loans for your studio, you're probably saving much more than 5%. You've eliminated a lot of detail accounting work for many months. Or being able to pay cash for something you needed in the studio probably meant a lower price.

#2021253 - 01/25/13 05:01 PM Re: Discount? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
UrLicht Offline

Loc: Farmington, UT
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose

Better to raise the price by 5% before giving the 5% discount. Or better yet, raise it 10%. We're always charging less than what we're worth... for some reason.

#2021288 - 01/25/13 05:46 PM Re: Discount? [Re: Slowdown]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
We offer a slightly discounted rate for student who pay tuition by the semester. Even though only a couple of students took advantage of this, it really helped us with cash flow, and I think the discount was worth the cost of having that extra money on-hand to cover unexpected expenses.

Now if every student did it, I may consider raising the tuition so that we get paid what we should be charging, and those who pay monthly would pay more (rather than us taking the hit). But so far we're not in that predicament.

By the way, if you're not particularly good with your business finances, you may not want to do this option at all. Having money sitting in the account can be a temptation for some to spend, not considering that money is earmarked for the next 4 months of salary, rent, utilities, etc.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2022330 - 01/27/13 06:35 PM Re: Discount? [Re: Morodiene]
rlinkt Offline

Loc: CA
My daughter's teacher offers a slightly reduced rate for pre-paying for 10 lessons at a time.

You can think of it as a tiered pricing plan, and wonder if you can extract better rent etc. As a dad, I view buying the 10-class blocks as a signal that I am committed to her as my daughter's teacher as much as she is committed to developing my daughter's skills. To me that's far more important than the slight pricing difference.

Edited by rlinkt (01/27/13 08:39 PM)

#2022701 - 01/28/13 08:43 AM Re: Discount? [Re: rlinkt]
Slowdown Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Thanks everyone - helpful thoughts.

I am going to experiment with 5 and 10 per cent discounts for students who do certain things like pay in advance for the school term and/or move to a 45-minute lesson.

I agree with John's point that what appears to be a pay-cut is not necessarily so. I have a mortgage, so by getting a lot of my income ten weeks in advance - assuming I can put a chunk of it towards paying off my debt - I save a lot of money in interest.

Moreover, I would sometimes have people miss, and not pay for, a lesson during term (despite my studio policy's stipulations). By getting people to pay in advance for the term, I am not missing out on payment during those odd weeks (hence my income is actually higher). Plus I save myself the stress I would have gone through chasing payment during term or fretting over students who miss a week and don't pay. PLUS the student feels good about getting a slightly reduced rate.

It feels like win-win to me. But I will let the forum know how it pans out. (I should mention, too, that I've increased my fees by a little over five per cent each year for at least the last five years).
-Paul

#2023597 - 01/29/13 06:29 PM Re: Discount? [Re: Slowdown]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I agree that paying ahead discount is not losing money...it's the time value of money plus the trouble of collecting, recording, depositing checks each month and sending out reminder notices when late.

Edited by Stanny (01/29/13 06:29 PM)

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#2023714 - 01/29/13 10:34 PM Re: Discount? [Re: Stanny]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Stanny
I agree that paying ahead discount is not losing money...it's the time value of money plus the trouble of collecting, recording, depositing checks each month and sending out reminder notices when late.

Not only these benefits, but sometimes you have to make large purchases. We want to move my Yamaha G3 down from WI, but that costs a lot of $$ that we don't have. We'd like to have it in time for the recital at the end of the semester, and with a student who just paid for semester tuition, that money is available now rather than having to save it up and wait a few more months. So certainly the whole cash flow issue becomes much easier to manage.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2024586 - 01/31/13 11:19 AM Re: Discount? [Re: Slowdown]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
My utility bills provide a slight discount for prompt payment. Or maybe it's really a disguised small penalty for slow payment, which they phrase euphemistically by terming it a discount for prompt payment. I can't tell which it is, but it works: it gets me to pay right away!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (Almaviva, Adam Coleman, accordeur, 56 invisible), 1586 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153613 Topics
2251369 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
Home speakers for RD700NX: need help!
by PoleStar
04/20/14 05:32 PM
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
How did YOU get started on software pianos?
by doremi
04/20/14 03:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission