Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2024819 - 01/31/13 06:00 PM Are 2 pianos, same make and model, going to sound . . . .
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
. . . pretty much identical?

If not, then the one you like in the shop must be the one you receive.

And your home? How on earth do you allow for the sound characteristics of te room where it`s going before you receive your piano? And your smiling dealer`s response when you feel the need to reject it? There has to be some leeway here, I`d think.

I do find these subjects fascinating.

""

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2024826 - 01/31/13 06:14 PM Re: Are 2 pianos, same make and model, going to sound . . . . [Re: peterws]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It depends on the brand - Yamaha and Kawai can often be fairly close but all other brands can be very different. If sound or touch is important....always play the piano you are buying before signing on the deal.

There is usually some difference between the store and your home, if nothing else, the room volume is greater in the store. Carpet and tile make a difference.

#2024829 - 01/31/13 06:23 PM Re: Are 2 pianos, same make and model, going to sound . . . . [Re: peterws]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
We never have this discussion with cameras. A marked difference between two different cameras that are the same model would indicate sloppy manufacturing techniques; with pianos, we call that ... an individual character.

I bought my C3 many years ago sight unseen. The dealer called me up if I wanted to witness the uncrating ... I passed.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2024860 - 01/31/13 07:27 PM Re: Are 2 pianos, same make and model, going to sound . . . . [Re: peterws]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
There are members that have bought pianos sight unseen here and been happy... and many who have not been happy.

Safe advice - play the piano you are receiving BEFORE you buy it.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2024909 - 01/31/13 10:01 PM Re: Are 2 pianos, same make and model, going to sound . . . . [Re: peterws]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
As Dave noted, there can be individual variances from piano to piano. This is particularly true with brands that are still made largely by hand. Keep in mind that there are 10,000 moving parts in a piano (and slews more that aren't supposed to move). Also much of the instrument is made of wood, felt, copper and steel — materials that can react to varying environmental conditions during shipping, storage and on the showroom floor. Pianos are simply not comparable to things that one normally buys new in the box, like a camera or TV or coffee pot. Those are mass-produced and should all be identical and unchanged by their journey to the store and then to your home. smile

That said, yes, some people buy pianos new in the crate and are very happy with them. Generally, however, dealers like to take delivery and uncrate/prep pianos for sale. That way, the dealer's tech can ensure that the instrument hasn't been damaged in shipping, can remove all the shipping materials (including anything used inside the piano to prevent undue movement of the action during shipping) and, of course, to put the piano in optimal playing condition. I've read some descriptions of dealer prep that were quite eye-opening in terms of the number of things that really should be checked/adjusted before the piano is even tuned the first time.

This is all rather tangential to your original questions, to which I say:

It's generally best to play any piano before buying. As for how it will sound in your home ... almost certainly louder. smile It may also sound brighter/harsher if you have a lot of solid flat surfaces. There are myriads of threads in these forums about making a piano that sounded wonderful in the dealer's giganticus showroom sound just as good (and not overwhelming) at home.

#2024933 - 01/31/13 10:56 PM Re: Are 2 pianos, same make and model, going to sound . . . . [Re: peterws]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
From my experience it has never mattered how "identical" two different pianos are or are "not" - but how to prep each individual piano to a specific customer's own liking.

One can certainly have a different "starting point" as pianos do arrive in somewhat variable conditions but in the end still manage to get virtually same or "very similar" outcome.

Rather than focusing on the often alluded "vast differences" between identical pianos [salespeople thrive on this stuff...] the key, at least from our own experience, is a top notch technician who knows what he's doing.

Just ask Franz Mohr under how many different, often totally contractictory conditions he had to deliver consistently "same results" to his various masters....

Norbert wink

Edited by Norbert (01/31/13 11:00 PM)

#2025100 - 02/01/13 06:55 AM Re: Are 2 pianos, same make and model, going to sound . . . . [Re: peterws]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>We never have this discussion with cameras. A marked difference between two different cameras that are the same model would indicate sloppy manufacturing techniques; with pianos, we call that ... an individual character.

Yes, pianos are made of wood and hand work, while cameras of plastic and machine made.

#2025172 - 02/01/13 09:39 AM Re: Are 2 pianos, same make and model, going to sound . . . . [Re: peterws]
TigerRad Offline

Loc: Columbia, SC
In NY at Steinway Hall, I played 4 (or 5?) Bs and 4 Ds all in the same room. Each model was remarkably consistent and I'm pretty sure I would never have been able to distinguish between them blind.

Of course, they were probably all prepped by the same person in the same way.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
126 registered (a-z0-9, 36251, A Guy, Abby Pianoman, 32 invisible), 1636 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156291 Topics
2295358 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin E250 1998
by sort
07/30/14 08:11 PM
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
07/30/14 06:01 PM
Used piano buying choices
by BrianDX
07/30/14 05:55 PM
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
07/30/14 05:12 PM
Fun etudes?
by chasingrainbows
07/30/14 04:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission