2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by Thrill Science
Why would *you* want to cheat in an Etude?
Doesn't it make studying the Etude meaningless?

Sometimes the goal is to make music!

Then you should be playing the Liszt etudes.

Or Rachmaninoff! They're absolutely magnificent.. I mean, take op. 39/2 for example - can you find another etude with a similar emotional content? I love it!!!

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I think, quite frankly, that any discussion of redistributing a single note in any piece, etude or not, is very silly and almost infantile. As one poster's teacher called similar thoughts "majoring in minoring." An extreme example of missing the forest for the trees. Not the thing that I can imagine really good pianists ever do.

Kimura Parker does this ALL the time - would you call him a bad pianist? I'd say he's pretty good.... smile

Sometimes, it's better to sacrifice ONE note than to risk sounding like an idiot and messing up the character because of one silly note that no one would hear anyway. Especially if it's redistributed - I tend to avoid it, but sometimes it's inevitable especially if you cannot reach said note. Sometimes I use that tool to actually achieve a higher musical essence of the specific passage which would otherwise be impossible. In instances like that, it's perfectly okay, especially in thick-layered music (I'm thinking Rachmaninoff or Prokofiev 2nd concerto, stuff like that).

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 02/01/13 09:48 AM.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Is that an undisputed quote??

I don't think that prior to videotape there can be such a thing as an undisputed quote, but my source is here:

"Chopin, Pianist and Teacher, as seen by his pupils." by Jean-Jacques Eigeldinger,
Cambridge Press, 1986. Page 68, in turn quoting Streicher/Niecks, II p. 341.

I presume that any quote by a student of Chopin, Liszt, etc., will be an approximation since they would be writing from memory, even if notated the same day in a private journal.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I think, quite frankly, that any discussion of redistributing a single note in any piece, etude or not, is very silly and almost infantile. As one poster's teacher called similar thoughts "majoring in minoring." An extreme example of missing the forest for the trees. Not the thing that I can imagine really good pianists ever do.

Kimura Parker does this ALL the time - would you call him a bad pianist? I'd say he's pretty good.... smile
If so, I'd guess he an the exception.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by trigalg693
I think this is a good point, but Chopin etudes are musically lacking compared to say Liszt or Rachmaninoff etudes, which are excellent short performance pieces if you cut the "etude" off the title, whereas Chopin etudes are less serious music.

I'm going to disagree here, in more polite terms than I'm inclined to. If you're going to talk about what Chopin's etudes are lacking vs. Liszt or Rachmaninoff, it's certainly not musical quality. They're magnificent in terms of making exercises in technical fundamentals live, breathe and sing. Countless composers have been trying to write better exercises in thirds or sixths for almost 200 years, and only Debussy was able to match him, IMO.

If they are missing anything, it's a large amount of contrast. The end of Chopin's B minor etude in octaves is essentially the same as the beginning, and the center section, though fantastic, is technically repetitive. Liszt's Wilde Jagd has a lot more development and differentiation between sections.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones

If they are missing anything, it's a large amount of contrast. The end of Chopin's B minor etude in octaves is essentially the same as the beginning, and the center section, though fantastic, is technically repetitive. Liszt's Wilde Jagd has a lot more development and differentiation between sections.

Well, that's what I'm getting at. They are very simplistic and repetitive, and while that material would make a good few passages in a larger work, there is not much variety. Of course they are very short so there isn't time for much development, but the structure of a piece is important, not just the parts that constitute it.

Chopin etudes are like a more lyrical Czerny etude, whereas Liszt etudes have more structure and development to them. The technical focus is woven into a larger framework, and the technical focus itself is broader, and so I think it's more appropriate for general programming.

Last edited by trigalg693; 02/01/13 01:04 PM.
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

[Linked Image]

Mr. Bill! That takes me back. ha

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
I think this is a good point, but Chopin etudes are musically lacking compared to say Liszt or Rachmaninoff etudes, which are excellent short performance pieces if you cut the "etude" off the title, whereas Chopin etudes are less serious music.

I'm going to disagree here, in more polite terms than I'm inclined to....

Thanks -- you kept me from having to do the impoliteness. grin
Especially about the Chopin.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, that's what I'm getting at. They are very simplistic and repetitive, and while that material would make a good few passages in a larger work, there is not much variety. Of course they are very short so there isn't time for much development, but the structure of a piece is important, not just the parts that constitute it.

Chopin etudes are like a more lyrical Czerny etude, whereas Liszt etudes have more structure and development to them. The technical focus is woven into a larger framework...

I couldn't disagree with this more. I think that Chopin's etudes are among his very greatest compositions, on par with the ballades, nocturnes and preludes, among others. The B minor "octaves etude" happens to be one of my least favorites, so I won't argue there. But all the rest are, for me, examples of the most subtle, rarified art. I like Liszt's, but the Chopin etudes are in a different league for me. I'm surprised at how many here view their purpose as pedagogical.

-J

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by beet31425
I couldn't disagree with this more. I think that Chopin's etudes are among his very greatest compositions, on par with the ballades, nocturnes and preludes, among others. The B minor "octaves etude" happens to be one of my least favorites, so I won't argue there. But all the rest are, for me, examples of the most subtle, rarified art. I like Liszt's, but the Chopin etudes are in a different league for me. I'm surprised at how many here view their purpose as pedagogical.

-J

The musical quality makes them better pedagogical works, not worse.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by Thrill Science
Why would *you* want to cheat in an Etude?
Doesn't it make studying the Etude meaningless?

Sometimes the goal is to make music!

Then you should be playing the Liszt etudes.

Or Rachmaninoff! They're absolutely magnificent.. I mean, take op. 39/2 for example - can you find another etude with a similar emotional content? I love it!!!

thumb I like the Chopin etudes, but they strike me as pop tunes with a technical problem thrown on top. Hard to learn, easy to memorize.

I like the Chopin etudes, but they strike me as pop tunes with a technical problem thrown on top. Hard to learn, easy to memorize.

Totally false!!!
(Although, the melody of the F major 10/8 does seem to stolen from an old Beef-A-Roni commercial.) ha

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I NEVER cheat in any of Chopin's etudes.

More specifically, I don't play Chopin's etudes. grin

Regarding musical value of Chopin's etudes vs. his nocturnes or ballades or sonatas; They are all different kinds of compositions, and I think the etudes have wonderful musical value. It's hard for me to compare his etudes to his nocturnes or sonatas for example, but if you asked me what I'd rather listen to, I'll always answer with nocturnes, sonatas, ballades, etc.

Regarding musical value of etudes in general, Liszt's and Rachmaninoff's etudes are longer and more expansive, whereas Chopin's are almost always a short A-B-A form and more or less chord progressions over a technical difficulty. Also, L's/R's etudes aren't just chord progressions over technical difficulties. I am in NO means saying anything negative about or discrediting Chopin's etudes by saying that; it's just that L/R did different things than Chopin. Chopin's seem a bit more standardized to me.

THEN you have my favorite under-appreciated composer, who combines the technical concentration of Chopin and musical/formal expansion of Liszt. wink http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly8SVwZGoHk

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 02/01/13 06:29 PM.
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
....THEN you have my favorite under-appreciated composer, who combines the technical concentration of Chopin and musical/formal expansion of Liszt. wink http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly8SVwZGoHk

I had a feeling it was going to be him. grin

BTW I agree.

B
B
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I NEVER cheat in any of Chopin's etudes.

More specifically, I don't play Chopin's etudes. grin

THEN you have my favorite under-appreciated composer, who combines the technical concentration of Chopin and musical/formal expansion of Liszt. wink http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly8SVwZGoHk

You don't even play Chopin's Op.10/12 or Op.25/1?? (BTW, no need to cheat in either; actually, it's easier to play them without cheating grin)

As for Alkan, some of his music sound a trifle relentless to me..... wink....though I still love it, especially when played by Hamelin or Gibbons. But not sure I'd want to play it myself (OK, I've never tried....).

If music be the food of love, play on!
Originally Posted by bennevis
....Op.10/12 or Op.25/1?? (BTW, no need to cheat in either; actually, it's easier to play them without cheating grin)

Actually it isn't -- I play 10/12 by crossing the hands and playing the LH part with the RH. ha

T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Here's another cheat I do!

[Linked Image]

Again 10/1. Top is what's written, bottom is what I play. Here, unlike the example that started this thread, I actually omit a note.

Please don't report me to Piano Protective Services! I don't want the authorities to show up at my door and take my Bösendorfer away!

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I cheat by performing the Godowsky etudes which are easier than the originals...

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
I cheat by performing the Godowsky etudes which are easier than the originals...

PLEASE tell me that you have an easier time with Godowsky's left hand arrangement of 10/2 than Chopin's 10/2. crazy

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Well, I just did op.10 no.6 :P

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission