2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 155 of 540 1 2 153 154 155 156 157 539 540

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
My "achievement", if I can call it one, is that I finally reached the highlight of Alfred's book 2, i.e. an easy version of Chopin's Etude op. 10 no. 3. The good thing is I had the honor of listening to it played on my DP by a real piano teacher, a cousin of mine who is also an accomplished organist. Wow! The posture, the gestures, the dynamics! I'm starting to think I should really get a teacher sooner or later.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh Toastie, I'm sorry to hear that. It's good though that you have found a new dealer and piano! smile I hope the time flies quickly for you!

Yay Sin! That's a huge achievement! Don't let listening to anyone (even family) who are way ahead of you get you down! Think of it as a challenge to someday achieve the same level! smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I feared something might have happened when you didn't come back with an update on the day.

I'm so sorry to hear this. What a disappointment.

Hang in there... the disappointment will fade quickly once your piano finally comes home to rest.

I felt that too- poor Toastie. I hope your piano is just perfect when it arrives.

Not quite the same but a similar thing happened to me- I saw an ad on freecycle for a piano, emailed the guy and felt very very strongly the piano would be mine the next day..BUT...he hadn't replied by the morning.
My eyes went to the previous month's piano on offer- I emailed them, a second later I got a reply and by that evening Piano was with me!! ( My neighbour was a van man which was so lucky and he didn't charge me)
Maybe this other U3 is the piano you were meant to have Toastie.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 10/22/12 04:30 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia
My "achievement", if I can call it one, is that I finally reached the highlight of Alfred's book 2, i.e. an easy version of Chopin's Etude op. 10 no. 3. The good thing is I had the honor of listening to it played on my DP by a real piano teacher, a cousin of mine who is also an accomplished organist. Wow! The posture, the gestures, the dynamics! I'm starting to think I should really get a teacher sooner or later.

Brilliant Sin!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

My accomplishment today was I played in a recital "Playing for Paws" in which students were supposed to get donations from sponsors to play their recital pieces, which went to an animal rescue. I was my own sponsor. There were quite a few students playing and everyone seemed to have fun.

I generally dread playing for other people, but I was told it's just like public speaking and to get over the fear, practice and practice and then do it. I'm glad I did it and I'm more happy that it's over.

Playing for paws! That's so cute. I love dogs!

Today I tried my first ever chord progression C A F G, and was somehow able to come up with some melancholy melody for it that even sounded nice. Would never have guessed that I could do that.
I guess so far, that is my most exciting "achievement of the week" so far.

Anivace, 52, started in June
Alfred's Adult Piano Course Book 1
First Lessons in Bach I (1-3), Beethoven - First Book for Pianists (1), Hanon (1-19), plus christmas stuff
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Congrats, anivace. I've heard numerous times that some ridiculous percentage like 95% of melodies can be harmonized by just the chords I,IV, and V (in the "key" of C Major, or the white key scale, these chords are C, F, and G) - crazy!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Anivace- that's no small achievement - Capturing the mood of a piece, plus doing some improvisation with chord progressions? Good for you - that is a pretty exciting step in a new, interesting direction!

j&j - what a great way to get experience playing in public - and for such a good cause too!

Diana, I'm listening to Chopin N10 now as I type. How exciting to be playing your first Chopin!!!!! It sounds to me as though you were inspired by your cousin's performance, that's the right way to take it. Many people here in PW don't have teachers and seem perfectly happy about that --- personally I really felt it was important. I know that I move more quickly over problem areas with help from my teacher, and I also know that there are technical points I would never have understood if not for my teacher. If you decide to look for one, I can ask my teacher (and my former teacher) if they have contacts /recommendations in your town! smile

Edward - what a great piano story!

I've made some progress on my Music Box piece, but still have a little section that is giving me grief. I'll see my teacher today and hope he will be able to nudge me in the right direction. Then I'll have to work on getting it up to speed! ack! smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Bobpickle
I've heard numerous times that some ridiculous percentage like 95% of melodies can be harmonized by just the chords I,IV, and V (in the "key" of C Major, or the white key scale, these chords are C, F, and G) - crazy!

Well yes, for some interpretations of "melody" and some interpretations of "can"! :-)

Good start! But it's wide open. As well as thinking in terms of "which of the stock chords can I make fit?" you could try "what notes go well with this melody?" Even better "What other melody fits well against this melody?"

Maybe what you write will be describable in terms of chord names. Maybe not. No matter!

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Achievement? Well not exactly BUT making progress. I'm studying scales and chords. Oh yeah I've cruised through them before but am now following the RCM exam list and working to make them fluid and fast. I had REALLY wanted to take the level 5 exam this December. My pieces are close but the technical side just isn't there yet. So...my achievement is my persistence in working on this. Passing level 5 will feel good in 2013 too. AND I still enjoy the 5 pieces I've been polishing down to the nitty gritty detail...and the suspense remains "can she play them in front of a stranger?"

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Wisebuff - that's great you are almost ready for your exam! Excellent!

I've had to put my prep on hold as I am working full time again and have found my piano time greatly diminished. And I didn't have a teacher these last few months due to scheduling and my work. I will be starting with a new teacher on Sunday though and I am excited!

Toastie - don't worry your piano will be with you soon!! The one that was meant to be!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anivace
No "big achievements" here, just a general observation: after 4.5 months I can now better control the "mood" of the notes I'm playing rather than just trying to hit the keys with the correct timing. And it takes less time to learn a piece.

Sounds good. And I like your Bee. smile

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Wisebuff - well, that is progress indeed - and heading to an exam... gulp. I don't know if I will put myself through that at some point in the future. I know I've turned down the "opportunity" in the past smile
Good for you though, I'm full of admiration at your determination and enthusiasm!

Zoe - I hope you have a wonderful time with your new teacher!
I'm loving mine.

Today we went through several of my works-in-progress and he really brought each one to life for me ! I am getting so much from these lesson, I feel rich every time I see him.

I had an audience today - a 12 yr old (who has been playing for 5 years!) sat in on my lesson to see how the teacher works! ack! (Yes, every one asked my permission first!) I said yes, feeling that it would be good for me to have an audience that I could "politely" ignore smile

I played scales and arpeggios for him for the first time, and my scales were fine, but my arpeggios were just a shade less certain, so he wants me to work on them.

Today he also suggested that I get a metronome so I can practice gradually working up my tempos.

He made an interesting point. He said I don't need a mentronome for keeping the beat or finding the rhythm, and in fact if I did, he wouldn't use a metronome to set me straight, he would use a different technique. I didn't have time to ask (because after our conversations earlier this week, I was curious)... but I am curious... I will try to remember to ask next week!

So... now I will be shopping for a metronome. I will get a mechanical one, I don't feel like having a digital one smile

[Linked Image]

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Wise Buff - I'm so impressed that you are working towards your level 5 exam. Someone posted, somewhere :\, a youtube video of a student and examiner doing that exam, and there's no way I'd be able to do it. Brava!

casinitaly and farmgirl - how great that your new teachers are working so well with you. It's such an upper to read your posts - the enthusiasm and pleasure from you is wonderful.

I don't post often - I have lots more work (good for the pocket book, but alas for the time), and I'm trying to up my practice time, but I do read fast, so I check in every day!

I guess I'll post an AOTW, too - I have a twice-a-month paying gig at a new assisted living home. Talk about keeping me on my toes, tho - it takes about 20 tunes/songs a time, and I only know 40, and it usually takes me about 3 months to get something ready for publicly playing. And they want to sing, so they have requests. Yikes! So I've added a really easy version of Green, Green Grass of Home (they're singing, right, so it doesn't have to be frilly? ), and I'm working on My Country of 'Tis of Thee, because songs I've known since childhood are far easier to learn, and a couple of holiday songs from the Easy Piano book I use every year, because, again, I'm already really familiar with them. But to have a new one or two each time - whoa! I call them my 2-week wonders. But at least I can use them at my volunteer assisted living space, too. But it's a push.

Off to work. Sigh. At least I'll be able to pay my taxes.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just noticed that I've completed 100 hours of Hanon! I started just under two years ago. Currently I'm doing Ex1-20 HT daily (over 1 octave. I also do the weaker hand (left) alone using Anki (a time spaced repetition program) at a slightly higher tempo. It's fun!

Here's the study stats to date:

Study tasks: 1285
First date: 16/11/2010
Last date: 23/10/2012
Time(mins): 6003
Time(hrs): 100
Days in period: 708
Days of Practice: 424
Avg pract time: 14
Avg daily time: 8

I've made a point of not memorising them, so in addition to the well known positives they provide (strength, stamina, finger independence and dexterity), I'm suspicious that they also help with sight reading and recovery from hand issues (ulna nerve compression problems). grin

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Jotur,Cathy! So nice to hear from you over here! Your work at the assisted living residence must be tremendously satisfying on so many levels!
I can't imagine getting something up to sing-a-long speed in 2 weeks....Something to aim for in the future!! smile

EJR - congrats - that's a significant amount of work!
It is also great that you've managed to build up your sight reading skills too. You must be feeling very satisfied with hitting this milestone and all the success that is "built-in" to it!

[Linked Image]

Gold Level Forums Subscriber Until Aug 29 2013
Gold Level Forums Subscriber Until Aug 29 2013
Originally Posted by casinitaly
So... now I will be shopping for a metronome. I will get a mechanical one, I don't feel like having a digital one smile

There's something wonderfully 'old school' about a mechanical metronome! It just seems so much more connected to playing than a digital. smile

"Music is something so innocent and pure, it makes a person completely naked - in music you cannot lie." - Alice Sara Ott

Playing since December 6, 2011.
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I like that AOTW is as much a (b)log of the ins and outs of 'the piano life' as it is 'achievement of the week.' It's all very interesting to read. Kudos to the regulars.

My AOTW was to get an 8 min. 20 sec. rendition of Canon in D (Monica K's version from her youtube channel). I hit a few wrong notes (nothing major) and kept going to the end. My previous best was 9 min. (last week) and 10 min (last month).

For reference, Monica does it in 4 min. 07 sec. eek , so I still have to rev things up further to get up to speed.

Nevertheless, after I finished I jumped up from the piano and did a fist pump. grin

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Nevertheless, after I finished I jumped up from the piano and did a fist pump. grin
This made me smile! I've felt like doing that a few times, when I really nailed a piece. smile

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
M
M
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Yes it is ok to do that. It's called as "BARing fingers" (hope I spelled right) and widely used. I have to use it a couple of times in Brahms piece I'm working on.

My teacher said yes! She said it's a good solution. But also that I should learn to play it properly sometime and save it for chords that are more spread out. haha.

My left wrist problems have returned. It's kind of depressing, but I'm having fun playing with my RH, so ...

p.s. Toastie, I can't wait to see your piano! :-)

Page 155 of 540 1 2 153 154 155 156 157 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission