2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
When is Dewster gonna weigh in? :^)

Originally Posted by chickenlump
I don't think anyone will disagree that no digital can replace a genuine,
well maintained concert grand for it's touch, character and tonality.

Sure, but I don't think anyone will disagree that no acoustic piano can replace
a modern digital piano or synth for it's versatility, choice of timbres,
ease of maintenance, and usefulness as a music production tool.

In fact I would suggest that in todays world, the acoustic piano is a very
specialized instrument, particularly suited for the classical niche genres. For
most modern and/or popular music genres is it simply not (any longer) as useful
as modern electronic keyboard instruments.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

The only way a quality grand for most is even remotely obtainable is by buying used. It's so tragic because you so many great players (both pro and serious hobbyists) and teachers that are deserving that might never have the means to acquire something nice. I can't begin tell you how many gigs/private parties I've played over the years in people's homes on a high end instrument that is nothing more then a piece of furniture to them. frown

Two years ago, I helped out a rather well-off family looking for a new baby grand for their little daughter. We met for the first time when they saw me playing in Steinway Hall, and they asked me to help them with their quest, because they didn't play and knew nothing about pianos. (They eventually ended up buying a K.Kawai because the dealer offered the best discount).

The parents appeared to have little interest in music and when I visited them on the day the piano was delivered, I began to get an inkling of what their principal interest in buying the piano was, when the father seemed more interested in admiring the piano from the other end of the room, in relation to the the other furniture, than in how the piano sounded in the room. And then, warning bells sounded in my brain when I suggested that they get a teacher for their daughter so that she could learn to play properly, but they said they'd think about it. Instead, they watched in admiration when the six-year-old sat down and picked out a few notes with one finger......

Still, hoping to get the whole family inspired, I gave them some CDs of mainly light/tuneful classical piano music (Fur Elise, Wedding Day at Troldhaugen, Moonlight Sonata -1, 'Elvira Madigan' etc) which were unwanted gifts I'd acquired over the years, and played some music for them on their new piano.

I'd forgotten about them until a recent post in the Piano Forum jogged my memory, and decided to give them a ring yesterday to see how they were enjoying their piano......

The wife told me that they decided not to bother with a teacher after all, the little girl had lost interest in playing, the father was picking out the odd pop tune on it occasionally, and after the initial free tuning, they hadn't bothered with any more.

But the piano is still a lovely piece of furniture, and polished regularly cry.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Z
Z
Originally Posted by offnote
I told you, digital pianos are like dildos....

[Linked Image]

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN BE PLAYED ON A CONCERT D THAT WON'T SOUND EQUALLY AS GOOD ON A CLP-120!

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What a waste!!! So many of use would sell our kidneys to have the space and the piano.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by emenelton
THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN BE PLAYED ON A CONCERT D THAT WON'T SOUND EQUALLY AS GOOD ON A CLP-120!

So basically we are all trolls now, are we?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I miss the rantings of the 'ole goat. (I'm not talking about the OP but you know who!).

Last edited by emenelton; 02/01/13 05:29 PM.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
One thing the OP said rings true: digitals are often overhyped. On the other hand, acoustics tend to be overhyped as well. Corporations have marketing departments specifically to overhype their products.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Every instrument needs to be adapted to. It seems that great players sound great because they know how to adapt to the instrument.
Take it with a grain of salt. The OP made a blanket condemnation of DP's based on a visit to a retailer.
I remember seeing that video here not too long ago(sorry I can't remember specifics) of a Pianist just wailing a classical piece on what appeared to be a Yamaha 120. The piano was bouncing a bit, but he was incredible on that 10 year old slab!

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
My students range from beginner to grade 8 abrsm so I have the full range of abilities. The more advanced ones do tend to own acoustic pianos but not always what I would consider to be good ones. Mostly grey market yamahas or kawais which are fine and one has recently bought a new Chinese instrument by kingsburg. None have the space or budget for a grand. But then neither did I and yet I made it through to post grad at conservatoire and have given many recitals. When I left home to study at college I had access to great pianos but all I had up until then was a small upright.

When new students ask about instruments they usually have a small budget in mind as they don't want to waste money on something that might end up not being used. A decent upright to me would cost at least 3k pounds sterling. The other day I was looking at the current range of yamahas in London and prices for a U1 were around 6k ranging to 18k for an SU7. The smaller grands started around 15k from what I recall. But parents of kids I teach want to spend hundreds, not thousands. If that's all you can afford then digital is the way to go. Spend less than a thousand on an acoustic and it will be firewood.

Pianist and piano teacher.
I agree.
Originally Posted by RBMusik
This discussion is an absurd waste of time.
But after you posted that, emenelton posted a picture that made this thread just a little bit worthwhile.[Linked Image]

That aside, yes ... a waste.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
She looks a little like The Nanny, Fran Drescher.
I didn't post the picture however, praise must be directed to Zapper!
My claim to fame was channeling our very own WILLIAM's Virtuoso.

Originally Posted by emenelton

Originally Posted by jens4711
Originally Posted by chickenlump
I don't think anyone will disagree that no digital can replace a genuine,
well maintained concert grand for it's touch, character and tonality.

Sure, but I don't think anyone will disagree that no acoustic piano can replace
a modern digital piano or synth for it's versatility, choice of timbres,
ease of maintenance, and usefulness as a music production tool.

In fact I would suggest that in todays world, the acoustic piano is a very
specialized instrument, particularly suited for the classical niche genres. For
most modern and/or popular music genres is it simply not (any longer) as useful
as modern electronic keyboard instruments.

For sure, I was replying to him in the context of using a DP as a piano alternative for classical players.

I think there clearly are two different user bases of DPs, one who are seeking an acoustic replacement (for whatever reason) and wishes the piano to be as close to the real thing as possible, and there are ones who use DPs as an instrument category in its own right.

They're all valid.

Yamaha C6F
Kawai CA95
B
B
Originally Posted by Chris H.
My students range from beginner to grade 8 abrsm so I have the full range of abilities. The more advanced ones do tend to own acoustic pianos but not always what I would consider to be good ones. Mostly grey market yamahas or kawais which are fine and one has recently bought a new Chinese instrument by kingsburg. None have the space or budget for a grand. But then neither did I and yet I made it through to post grad at conservatoire and have given many recitals. When I left home to study at college I had access to great pianos but all I had up until then was a small upright.

When new students ask about instruments they usually have a small budget in mind as they don't want to waste money on something that might end up not being used. A decent upright to me would cost at least 3k pounds sterling. The other day I was looking at the current range of yamahas in London and prices for a U1 were around 6k ranging to 18k for an SU7. The smaller grands started around 15k from what I recall. But parents of kids I teach want to spend hundreds, not thousands. If that's all you can afford then digital is the way to go. Spend less than a thousand on an acoustic and it will be firewood.

Do you (or your students) read 'Pianist' magazine? In issue 65 (May-June 2012), the Steinmayer S108 was mentioned, costing £2090, voted as the 'best entry-level piano' by The Guardian, and as 'one of the ten best pianos' by The Independent in 2010. I can't vouch for its quality, not having played it myself, but it's significant that when Pianist went on to review acoustic uprights (as a group) in issue 67, only acoustics of over £5000 were considered - but DPs costing less than £2000 were also considered in another review.

I too only had a small vertical until I left home to go to boarding school, where the practice rooms had decent uprights. And at university, also the same Yamaha uprights in their practice rooms. I never played on a grand until my diploma exam...

If music be the food of love, play on!

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by CHAS
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by offnote
I told you, digital pianos are like dildos....

A rather crude analogy based, I'm assuming, on your personal experience with both.......

ad hominem
When you can't win, attack the messenger.

Who said anything about winning???? grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I used to subscribe to 'pianist' but haven't read it for a while. Never tried the steinmeyer, to be honest here in the midlands there are not many piano dealers to choose from. The kingsburg I mentioned is probably similar although it was taller and cost a little more. I played it and it was fine.

But like I said, most people think they should be spending about 200 to 300, at least at first. For this money you can pick up a used clavinova to get started with. I help them find these on the used market. Second hand acoustics are more difficult and bargains are becoming few and far between. I have never bought a brand new acoustic piano and probably never will, I just can't afford it.

Pianist and piano teacher.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Is there an "ignore" function on PW?..."

There is! I use it only for that select few who have proved that it is never worth hearing from them. Just left-click on the offender's name, select View Profile, and then click the radio button that says Ignore this User.

Give your blood pressure a few minutes to go down, and you're good from then on.

As for the question of whether digitals are junk--- it's at best overbroad, and can hardly be answered with any fairness. Some models are, others are really pretty good. Every instrument has its failings, including the AP. But it sounds like our OP might be happier with one. Personally, I have both and love both--- and I think it is very mean to compare the DP with those nasty spinets, which offer integrity in neither touch, sound, nor appearance. The better DPs can say more for themselves, and even the more modest ones serve the needs of those among us with a limited price point range (I still have my first one, in a closet).

I understand that an aftermarket program has found a use for worn-out spinets: constructing artificial reefs. It's a spinoff program, discovered when it was found that spinets really don't make very good boat anchors.

Clef

Originally Posted by Chris H.

Lets take the 3k pounds example, buying a 3k pounds upright and play it for 10 years, it would still be a keeper. However if you buy a top of the line 3k pound yamaha cp1 stage piano, no way you will keep it after 10 years the advances in technology would have made it obsolete long ago. Replacing the digital would mean paying more money, making more expensive than buying an acoustical piano in the first place.

Casio Privia PX-150

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

The only way a quality grand for most is even remotely obtainable is by buying used. It's so tragic because you so many great players (both pro and serious hobbyists) and teachers that are deserving that might never have the means to acquire something nice. I can't begin tell you how many gigs/private parties I've played over the years in people's homes on a high end instrument that is nothing more then a piece of furniture to them. frown

Two years ago, I helped out a rather well-off family looking for a new baby grand for their little daughter. We met for the first time when they saw me playing in Steinway Hall, and they asked me to help them with their quest, because they didn't play and knew nothing about pianos. (They eventually ended up buying a K.Kawai because the dealer offered the best discount).

The parents appeared to have little interest in music and when I visited them on the day the piano was delivered, I began to get an inkling of what their principal interest in buying the piano was, when the father seemed more interested in admiring the piano from the other end of the room, in relation to the the other furniture, than in how the piano sounded in the room. And then, warning bells sounded in my brain when I suggested that they get a teacher for their daughter so that she could learn to play properly, but they said they'd think about it. Instead, they watched in admiration when the six-year-old sat down and picked out a few notes with one finger......

Still, hoping to get the whole family inspired, I gave them some CDs of mainly light/tuneful classical piano music (Fur Elise, Wedding Day at Troldhaugen, Moonlight Sonata -1, 'Elvira Madigan' etc) which were unwanted gifts I'd acquired over the years, and played some music for them on their new piano.

I'd forgotten about them until a recent post in the Piano Forum jogged my memory, and decided to give them a ring yesterday to see how they were enjoying their piano......

The wife told me that they decided not to bother with a teacher after all, the little girl had lost interest in playing, the father was picking out the odd pop tune on it occasionally, and after the initial free tuning, they hadn't bothered with any more.

But the piano is still a lovely piece of furniture, and polished regularly cry.

I posted right after Christmas in the Piano forum about playing a post Christmas party at an older couple's home on a Fazioli 212.
Neither one played...of course wink At least they were into having it maintained and did very much appreciate good music. It was so rare to encounter that on a gig. smile cool

Many, many wealthy folks just view their Steinway/Bosendorfer/Yamaha/Kawai as just another acquisition among their *toys* meant to impress their other well to do friends. A good 90% of the time that piano is used for strictly background ambience. I could be playing on my old Yamaha P120 and I'd bet my house most wouldn't notice the difference in sound. frown

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission