2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

And keep in mind that February 14th is Valentine's Day. wink Fortunately for AB forum, Mr. K will be out of town at a coin show that day, so I will have nothing to occupy my attention other than the recital, but in other years that might not be the case.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Just checked the timer to see if it's correct this time - last time it had DST problems. The timer runs out when submissions close, and some time after that the recital goes live - it takes time for hard-working Monica to process everything and make the recital posts. There is no set time for it to go live...

Sam

With the caveat that "past performance is not a guarantee of future results" though, Monica usually has it up very quickly. A bit more than an hour last time, just over half an hour the two times before that.

I have no time to look up stuff like this, but I do it anyway. smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Sam S
...I realized while listening to it that it was painfully slow...On the other hand, a faster tempo equals more mistakes...

It seems slow to us because in our daily repetition we hear it so much and know it so well. I have found over long years that if I keep playing a piece I need to keep expressing more emotion though it.

When you reduce the tempo it helps to increase the dynamic range and exaggerate the phrasing. And remember that few listeners have had to listen to it as much as we ourselves have lately - apart from our poor spouse/children/pets etc smile

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I'm in, it's good to see everyone.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Like Monica, I too am a lady of leisure now (guy version) and thus I will have plenty of time to listen and comment on the performances.

It's nice too see the ABF veterans continuing to participate in our recitals as well as listen to their progress.
(I'll have to keep an eye out for Peyton However as I think he's wanting to whip me or something!)

PLUS, I'm going to my first piano party this weekend at Farmgirls house. She has already indicated from her posts that she likes getting a little boozy from time to time so who knows how things will go. Things could get a little crazy where we all end up playing piano in our Speedos and dancing on the table tops before the night is over. Who knows. I'm not sure if I should be nice and behave or just go completely nuts. Well after giving it 3-4 seconds of thought, I decided that I must be true to myself which means I'll probably end up going nuts along with all the other party animals in the room.

A Super-music weekend certainly WILL be here soon.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
PLUS, I'm going to my first piano party this weekend at Farmgirls house. She has already indicated from her posts that she likes getting a little boozy from time to time so who knows how things will go. Things could get a little crazy where we all end up playing piano in our Speedos and dancing on the table tops before the night is over. Who knows. I'm not sure if I should be nice and behave or just go completely nuts. Well after giving it 3-4 seconds of thought, I decided that I must be true to myself which means I'll probably end up going nuts along with all the other party animals in the room.

Now how wonderful is THAT! I'm sure a great time will be had by all.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

I would pay good money for video of the event. smokin

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Like Monica, I too am a lady of leisure now (guy version) and thus I will have plenty of time to listen and comment on the performances.

It's nice too see the ABF veterans continuing to participate in our recitals as well as listen to their progress.
(I'll have to keep an eye out for Peyton However as I think he's wanting to whip me or something!)

I'm not sure if I'll be participating in the recital (probably not), but I think I'll be driving from Los Angeles for FarmGirl's piano party. I'm not gonna lie though. I'm really only going so I can see Super-Hunky in his Speedo.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.

So, um, about how much we talkin'? When it comes to money I get weak! Who knows what I'll do on film if the price is right. Unfortunately, grainy, big -foot spotting quality video is all my digital camera takes so I can't charge too much.

High def will cost you however. lol.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

OK... I agree. A youtube vid of this is needed... Unless of course SH is pulling our leg and in fact they are all just going to sit around sipping wine and discussing the finish on Farmgirl's piano... Yawn. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.

I heard a rumor that they were going to set up a Skype connection during the party. Maybe you can get in on that and see it all live.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Mr SH - you are so funny! I am all for having fun.
Sam - you are the only kid of the party since the rest of us are all so ... mature. So I will have to make you sleep with my dogs if you drink too much. Just kidding. I think we will have lots of fun.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Peyton

OK... I agree. A youtube vid of this is needed... Unless of course SH is pulling our leg and in fact they are all just going to sit around sipping wine and discussing the finish on Farmgirl's piano... Yawn. smile

Did I see "Speedo" in the quote? How could I miss it. I know Mr SH wrote underwear model as his occupation. Now I suddenly have a high expectation for the night!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yes Farmgirl. You see, I was thinking we could all play a fun game called 'strip-piano performance' Here's how it works.

We all start off by playing our most recent recital piece since it is still somewhat fresh. (plus that's all I can remember). No worries/stress. After the performance is concluded, we simply tally up any/all mistakes as well as any area that could use improvement and that total equals how many articles of clothing are to be removed. Simple huh?

This fun little game will then continue until we get through ALL of our past recital performances or we all freeze, whatever comes first.

Who wants to play?

As far as the Skype connection goes, I think that is a fantastic starting point but now I'm starting to think more like 'pay per view'. Here's what I'm thinking.

For the base rate of $39.95 will get you a live feed. The connection won't be great and the resolution may be a little grainy but you cheaped out so this is what you get.

For $59.95 you are upgraded to the level that gets you the live feed PLUS commentary, still shots, and instant replay.

The $79.95 level (BEST VALUE) gets you everything previously mentioned PLUS a signed and scented 8x10 glossy group shot of all the participants as well as a monthly newsletter.

Okay that was a lie, there is no newsletter. I made that part up!.

Anyway, it's Farmgirls party so she will be in charge of the connection, billing etc. It's just a thought but who knows, it could be fun plus who doesn't like a little extra cash!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
If we play your 'strip-piano performance' game, I'll be having pieces of my skin flayed from my body, so PLEASE, let's scratch that part of it blush

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
I think the least you can do is supply us with free photosamples . . .you have to speculate to accumulate and all that

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
...yea, well... I'm not so sure I WANT to see Mr. SH dancing on Farmgirls piano in just his speedo's (or worse). I may save my money and let Monica tell me all about it (snicker).

Good idea Sam. Most girlfriends and wives don't particulary like the idea of their significant others going off to striptease piano parties. You would get back home and find the strings missing from your piano.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I see that everyone is definitely relaxing after the stress of getting their pieces submitted!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
A
A
I'm still stressed! Only one day left to get a better take, but now I have to cope with some very disturbing images! To think this used to be such a reputable thread *mutter*

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Peyton
Good idea Sam. Most girlfriends and wives don't particulary like the idea of their significant others going off to striptease piano parties. You would get back home and find the strings missing from your piano.

All the G strings would still be there.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission