Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2025541 - 02/01/13 07:28 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: adak]
The Monkeys Online   content

Loc: Vancouver BC
Originally Posted By: adak

Lets take the 3k pounds example, buying a 3k pounds upright and play it for 10 years, it would still be a keeper. However if you buy a top of the line 3k pound yamaha cp1 stage piano, no way you will keep it after 10 years the advances in technology would have made it obsolete long ago. Replacing the digital would mean paying more money, making more expensive than buying an acoustical piano in the first place.

AP: $3000
CP1:$3000

10 years later:
AP : tuning @ every 8 month for $120, cost 1.8K, can sell for 2K
CP1: no tuning cost, can sell for $300

Adjusted residual value:
AP: $300 (+/- $1000)
CP1:$300 (+/- $300)

The AP is still the same AP, with a bit of wear and tear.
The CP1 is still the same CP1, with a bit of marks and dents.

Monetary value of 10 years of investment: worthless
Enjoyment value of 10 years of music : priceless

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2025564 - 02/01/13 08:03 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: zapper]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: zapper
Originally Posted By: offnote
I told you, digital pianos are like dildos....

Classic !!! LOL

#2025566 - 02/01/13 08:04 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: PattyP]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PattyP
I'm thinking the OP is a troll, considering his join date and post history.

Is there an "ignore" function on PW?

He might be a troll or somewhere a village might be missing a idiot.

But at least it's more entertaining then "Does a PX-150 have a plastic pedal"

#2025568 - 02/01/13 08:08 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: Dave Ferris]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris

For many pro players, digitals exist for only one reason---work/gigging. smile cool

Yeah but then it gets easier to use a DP or VST then to mic up your grand, then you become lazy. People think I'm a DP apologist but forget I've got two real acoustic grand pianos at home. Given a choice ...you would like to always prefer the real thing but practicality's often mean the opposite is true.

#2025569 - 02/01/13 08:15 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: kippesc]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kippesc
While you're saving your money for that Steinway D (does the price jump about 5% each year [$6,000]?), you may find that the Roland RD700-NX (Studio Grand setting) through headphones is useful as a practice instrument.

The Studio grand is better then that ... it's the nicest piano ever in a DP and better then most VST pianos.

#2025582 - 02/01/13 08:37 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: KataiYubi]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

After lurking on these DP threads for the last 3 years, and spending God knows how much on DPs, i finally pulled the trigger on an acoustic piano. I can say with all honesty, I feel your pain. I owned one of the highest end DPs ($8,000!!) in my AvantGrand N1, and after 18 months, I decided it was just not satisfying. Every time I stepped behind even a decent grand, heck even a baby grand, I felt right at home. It sounds stupid, but acoustic pianos, with all the natural resonance and warmth pull music out of me. Digitals never really did. The closest thing is probably that new Fazioli sample in my Nord Piano 2. There's a certain magic with acoustic pianos which is why the DP manufacturers spend millions trying to duplicate the experience. There's more to the acoustic piano than modeled sounds, unlooped samples, supernatural decay, graded action, ivory feel keys, triple pedals, and polished cabinets with high end speakers.

With that said, the better DPs have their purpose and will only get closer and closer to the acoustic experience.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#2025587 - 02/01/13 08:46 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: Dave Ferris]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I could be playing on my old Yamaha P120 and I'd bet my house most wouldn't notice the difference in sound. frown

I'll match your house and raise you another two ....

The fact is ... in a mix nobody (even a concert pianist) would know and 95+% of people wouldn't know in a solo.

#2025590 - 02/01/13 08:50 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Chris H.

I think the main problem with acoustic pianos these days is price. I teach around fifty students and not one of them can get anywhere near being able to afford a nice grand piano. Even a decent upright costs an arm and a leg. to my students .

Most definitely. The ap manufacturers have practically priced themselves out of the market....at least with respect to players, teachers or aspiring players.

I couldn't believe the price, new, for that high end Yamaha upright..the model # escapes me right now. But I think it was over 12K, for an upright !

The only way a quality grand for most is even remotely obtainable is by buying used. It's so tragic because you have so many great players (both pro and serious hobbyists), along with dedicated teachers that are SO deserving that might never have the means ( much less the space to put it in) to acquire something nice. I can't begin tell you how many gigs/private parties I've played over the years in people's homes on a high end instrument that is nothing more then a piece of furniture to them. frown

Given the prices I totally get why people are turning to digitals. Heck I paid only $13,250 + Ca. tax for my Yamaha C7E in 1985 from Fields Piano in Orange County. What do they go for, new, today for God's sakes ?! I'm not into cars at all, but I'm fairly certain you could buy a mid-priced Lexus for what a new C7 sells for. cry

I'm actually working for Porsche Cars North America now, and I can tell you, the better grand pianos, especially Steinways, Steingraebers, Bosendorfers, Faziolis, etc cost more than many of our cars. That's ridiculous. They're farther out of reach than freakin Porsches! Now, I'd gladly pay over $100,000 for a high end grand piano vs a car because I have my priorities straight. smile

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#2025598 - 02/01/13 09:08 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: PianoZac]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoZac
I'm actually working for Porsche Cars North America now, and I can tell you, the better grand pianos, especially Steinways, Steingraebers, Bosendorfers, Faziolis, etc cost more than many of our cars. That's ridiculous. They're farther out of reach than freakin Porsches! Now, I'd gladly pay over $100,000 for a high end grand piano vs a car because I have my priorities straight. smile
Those grands might be more expensive but I need even more money to buy a house to put a used six foot Baldwin in. Grands don't work in apartments. For that matter neither do uprights. So, what is a pianist to do?

I think your love for music and piano trumps the OP's impressions of the lowly DP's out in the real world.

I'd love to read the forums that Bach, Chopin and Beethoven subscribed to and read their heated debates about how crappy the pianos were in those centuries.

Edited by 36251 (02/01/13 09:11 PM)

#2025607 - 02/01/13 09:25 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: 36251]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 36251

I'd love to read the forums that Bach, Chopin and Beethoven subscribed to and read their heated debates about how crappy the pianos were in those centuries.

Here's the state-of-the-art keyboard of the era: http://youtu.be/gcyPrOVYRVk

Crappy or expressive? Or crappy and expressive (note the vibrato)? grin

#2025626 - 02/01/13 10:15 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: KataiYubi]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Today's $2K DPs ... is there a point in history where APs were worse than what we have today for DPs?

#2025647 - 02/01/13 11:08 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: PianoZac]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.

... I'm actually working for Porsche Cars North America now, and I can tell you, the better grand pianos, especially Steinways, Steingraebers, Bosendorfers, Faziolis, etc cost more than many of our cars. That's ridiculous. They're farther out of reach than freakin Porsches! Now, I'd gladly pay over $100,000 for a high end grand piano vs a car because I have my priorities straight. smile

I'm driving an older, paid-off Toyota for a reason, Zac!

Edited by ClsscLib (02/01/13 11:10 PM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2025655 - 02/01/13 11:48 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: KataiYubi]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
I wouldn't get too worked up, guys. The OP is the same guy who wants these to be available in North America and Europe, so he can't be THAT anti-digital:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2021919/Let%27s%20get%20together%20and%20demand%20.html#Post2021919

I guess I'll chime in while I'm here. It was mentioned before, but the sheer utility value of the digital piano is worth its weight in gold. Sometimes the goal is to make live piano music accessible to listeners. It's not always for the player. Modern music and musical theatre would not be where it is today without DP's and synths. Sometimes (not always) it seems like these rants are the product of "ah, I'll just blame the instrument!"

#2025697 - 02/02/13 02:06 AM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: xorbe]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"Today's $2K DPs ... is there a point in history where APs were worse than what we have today for DPs?"

That is nonsense and you know it. "Bridge over Troubled Water" awaits you and any other, my friend. If you and your piano are up to it . . .

""

#2025705 - 02/02/13 02:45 AM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: PianoZac]
offnote Offline

Loc: Banned
After lurking on these DP threads for the last 3 years, and spending God knows how much on DPs, i finally pulled the trigger on an acoustic piano. I can say with all honesty, I feel your pain. I owned one of the highest end DPs ($8,000!!) in my AvantGrand N1, and after 18 months, I decided it was just not satisfying. Every time I stepped behind even a decent grand, heck even a baby grand, I felt right at home. It sounds stupid, but acoustic pianos, with all the natural resonance and warmth pull music out of me. Digitals never really did.  

I told you digital pianos suck...

#2025749 - 02/02/13 06:37 AM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: CHAS]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
I find this argument from the OP bizarre, frankly, this is the same person who claims to believe that an organ makes a passable representation of an instrument, but a digital piano doesn't, as somebody else has said, seems to be just trying to stir it up.

www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2021919/Let's%20get%20together%20and%20demand%20.html#Post2021919

So he's going to buy one of those and piano?

Originally Posted By: CHAS
Originally Posted By: carey
Originally Posted By: offnote
I told you, digital pianos are like dildos....

A rather crude analogy based, I'm assuming, on your personal experience with both.......

ad hominem
When you can't win, attack the messenger.

And how are you doing any different?

You are also attacking a messanger because you don't like the message, the fact is, we often become the person we despise or ridicule!

Originally Posted By: slipperykeys

"Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture "

Actually the real truth is that if digital pianos were such junk no-one would buy one, therefore the basic logic of your argument is flawed, as thousands of digital pianos are sold around the world, presumably, judging from the somewhat supercilious comments that have been made occasionally, to cloth-eared, foolish beginners with no idea what a piano sounds like!

well, number of sells has nothing to do with it, you have junk music on MTV and it's selling well so I don't see a flowed logic here from OP.

Why?
You deny that the fact that a large majority of people who, I imagine, know what a piano sounds like have no bearing whatsoever on the facts. OK, you can deny it but the truth is still out there but you don't buy junk, it's only everybody else?

You seemed to ignore the rest of my post where significant global educational organisations see fit to use them, I notice.

Are they all the equal of MTV?

What I am saying is that a digital piano is most certainly not "junk", and yes, that is proven by the number of sales. If they were junk everybody would avoid them.

Doubtless there are those who will think that this proves the OP claim that anybody playing a digital piano will never be good enough to really test it?
And doubtless, those defending his view agree with him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u1PkF9anJI

I would love somebody to tell me why it doesn't sound like a piano and is a load of, "junk".

Really, indefensible, vacuous and wildy inaccurate comment. How can anybody defend such a remark?

Could it possibly be that some acoustic dinosours need to update their (psychological) model?

Of course, I agree with the post that said nobody is claiming digitals are better than a well maintained, and extremly expensive, acoustic grand.

But "junk" they ain't, pure and simple.

Edited by slipperykeys (02/02/13 06:40 AM)

#2025762 - 02/02/13 07:58 AM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: gvfarns]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
Originally Posted By: gvfarns
One thing the OP said rings true: digitals are often overhyped. On the other hand, acoustics tend to be overhyped as well. Corporations have marketing departments specifically to overhype their products.
Well said, that is one of the most important missions of marketing.
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs

#2025765 - 02/02/13 08:12 AM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: Temperament]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Temperament
One thing the OP said rings true: digitals are often overhyped. On the other hand, acoustics tend to be overhyped as well. Corporations have marketing departments specifically to overhype their products.

I don't really think marketing plays a big role in people's feelings about acoustic pianos. Acoustics are a known quantity, and haven't changed substantially in a hundred years. The reason digital piano manufacturers use highly persuasive marketing is because they are trying to get closer to replicating the experience of a real piano. So every new advancement toward that end tends to be presented as a glorious advancement. The fact that DPs are still quite a way off the experience of an acoustic is immaterial to them. They are pushing the things that do get them closer to their goal, rather than mentioning the limitations that keep them away from their goal. Anybody who's played a nice acoustic knows what they are about. DPs are playing catch-up, hence the marketing hyperbole.

#2025767 - 02/02/13 08:14 AM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: slipperykeys]
zapper Offline

Originally Posted By: slipperykeys

Why?
You deny that the fact that a large majority of people who, I imagine, know what a piano sounds like have no bearing whatsoever on the facts. OK, you can deny it but the truth is still out there but you don't buy junk, it's only everybody else?

yes, I deny fact that masses opinions count.
People are being fooled all the time and the bigger the group the easier is to accomplish this.

BTW, calling digital pianos "junk" by OP was most likely figure of speech to make his point. Don't take it literally. I have two of those expensive "junk" keyboards at my "junkyard" studio and I enjoy them from time to time. The point is even the cheapest acoustic beats any digital piano sounds and feel wise.
I prefer even slightly out of tune acoustic then top of the line digital piano, but there is a time and place for both of course.

#2025774 - 02/02/13 08:30 AM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: KataiYubi]
Temperament Offline

All true and false. One personal argument: in my childhood I had a Förster baby grand in parents house to play on, and while it was a highly appreciated instrument in the vicinity, I have got tenosynovitis from practising on it - a lifelong condition. Without the aid of some soft and very consistent digital keyboard I doubt I cold have restart with 50 ys. again. (My vintage acoustic has a very light action, a special thing too.)

Hype or not - digital is a bless for me.

Many digital SW pianos are ahead of DPs, by a large margin sound wise some even of high-end cabinet instruments. There is no technological reason that this gap will not be filled within 1-2 Ys. with as leap. (We see already DPs with 1 GB builtIn samples; NUMA Concert) Modelling is just a newborn technology. Keyboards are mechanical constructs and can be reused even refined in digital. All prereqisites are already there for a steep improvement.

The whole debates are de-ja-vue, all resembling to the debates about DP ( = Digital Photography) for a decade or so. I don't want to spend much idle time with these questions (unless they are contributing to improvements). The result is today nobody is buying a digital camera anymore (just a camera - which is digital.)

Just wait for a decade or so. I am not willing to waste my precious time by fighting or defending myths - futile.

Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs

#2025779 - 02/02/13 08:38 AM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: ando]
Temperament Offline

Originally Posted By: ando
Originally Posted By: Temperament

I don't really think marketing plays a big role in people's feelings about acoustic pianos. Acoustics are a known quantity, and haven't changed substantially in a hundred years. The reason digital piano manufacturers use highly persuasive marketing is because they are trying to get closer to replicating the experience of a real piano. So every new advancement toward that end tends to be presented as a glorious advancement. The fact that DPs are still quite a way off the experience of an acoustic is immaterial to them. They are pushing the things that do get them closer to their goal, rather than mentioning the limitations that keep them away from their goal. Anybody who's played a nice acoustic knows what they are about. DPs are playing catch-up, hence the marketing hyperbole.
Before I began to understand digital technology, I used to use marketing material for understanding. I tried to think verbal phrases give some serious orientation and insights into technology, such as "Ultra Progressive Harmonic Imaging (UPHI)" "SuperNatural (SN)" to "Imperfect Samples" (the latter one is the only true one). And I am a technologically trained person - which most buyers of a DP are definitely not.

#2025785 - 02/02/13 08:52 AM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: zapper]
chickenlump Offline

Loc: Canada

The point is even the cheapest acoustic beats any digital piano sounds and feel wise.

... really?

I went to pick up some music yesterday and played a cheap baby grand by Pramberger (I've never heard of the brand, this store specializes more on DPs)... it made my ears bleed, and it felt horrible. Plus it was way more expensive than my DP.

I know you were just making a point, but I think despite it's downsides, a DP at least can provide a very consistent experience.

#2025790 - 02/02/13 09:14 AM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: KataiYubi]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Everything is a trade off ... except for those purists who walk among us.

I grew up in the 1960's and there really wasn't much to choose from. The Fender Rhodes was introduced but was a monster to lug around. The Wurlitzer electric piano wasn't too bad but you really had to work when playing since the sound died so quickly. I bought a Yamaha CP25 or CP35 back in the 1980's and it was OK. I used a Roland A80 midi controller for many years and used all kinds of modules (and a sampler as well).

What we have today is pure gold by comparison for live work. A digital piano, even a hybrid, will never replace an acoustic but in some instances will actually sound better and will be easier to work with.

I'm fond of saying that keyboards (acoustic, electric, and hybrids) are just tools. For some folks their piano is a life long partner, for me it's just a tool to get a job done ... and I have a wandering eye. (I'm planning on going to the Messe and trying the AlphaPiano.)

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2025823 - 02/02/13 10:28 AM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: Dave Horne]
HisKidd Online   content

Loc: AL/USA
Can we agree that both the acoustic and the DP have their place and serve different purposes for different people and not dis anyone? Just my two cents.
Play On!
H.K.
DCM CX-17 Monitors
Sennheiser HD 205, DJ series, headset

#2025841 - 02/02/13 11:00 AM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: KataiYubi]
karlosserio Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
My opinion is based on my experience...
Play whatever, digital or acoustic, but spend more time doing music then talking about it smile

#2025905 - 02/02/13 01:18 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: KataiYubi]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Quote:
Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture

I mostly agree with this. If it weren't for Roland SuperNATURAL I'd almost completely agree with it.

At this point any non-toy DP should have:
1. A minimum of 4GB per piano voice (if sampled).
2. Resonance samples / algorithms that are quite obvious and believable.
3. Key position that is continuously sensed, not inferred from two or three switches.
4. A well designed speaker system (even if it is for nearfield use only).

Like most DPs, the SN sound seems to suffer badly when rendered via speakers instead of headphones. I'm starting to think the ideal DP speaker might be the open baffle type (as ChrisA advocated a while back).

#2025914 - 02/02/13 01:33 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: KataiYubi]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
The OP may have some more or less valid points but I didn't really like the tone of the post. Stirrin' it up a tad, aren't we?

Anyway, as I'm just getting into this world of piano playing, I can hardly talk from personal experience with various pianos' sound and touch, but although I'm getting a DP in the near future, this very thread made me take a little time and skim through pages of local shops selling acoustic uprights as those are the only other viable alternative given the circumstances.

What I've taken away is that money wouldn't really be the biggest issue -- I could probably get some relatively decent (although older) upright for about $2,000 - 3,000; that's less than I'm about to spend on the CA-95 from Kawai and I could get on with the shopping right now. The real deal-breakers for me are the usual weight of an upright and being unable to play silently. You see, I live on the 6th floor of a 7-storey block of flats. It's quite a stretch to imagine getting a ~200kg (~440lb) heavy upright up 12 sets of stairs. I also anticipate that the neighbors wouldn't be very appreciative of my playing late in the afternoon/evening and I don't want to play on a dampened piano all the time.

So it's all practical reasons for me. Things like low maintenance, extra sounds and features etc. are a nice plus but not a complete necessity. I have already had a fair share of witty wisecracks from my colleagues at work, some of which happen to be (semi-)decent piano players, but now they seem to have accepted these reasons. I still see the purchase as a long-term investment, hence the higher-end model even though, as a complete beginner, I could have been looking at some of the lower-end DP's.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2025928 - 02/02/13 02:13 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: dewster]
kippesc Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: dewster
Like most DPs, the SN sound seems to suffer badly when rendered via speakers instead of headphones. I'm starting to think the ideal DP speaker might be the open baffle type (as ChrisA advocated a while back).

Interesting thought.

The first day I owned the RD-700NX, I plugged it into my home stereo (decent Boston Acoustic speakers) and it sounded pretty lame; I've always thought that was my stereo, though. Also, when playing back recorded performances of the RD on the stereo, it does not seem to sound as good as Ivory or the Vintage D.

I only use headphones when playing the Roland, and with headphones, it sounds very good.

#2025935 - 02/02/13 02:31 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: KataiYubi]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
This thread is kind of a bit silly for me.

I think that everybody knows that DP is only some kind substitute of real piano for people.
I am playing piano for about 20 years, I have in home some mid-quality upright (which at the date of production in 1938 was for sure hi-end piano, but was not treated properly by previous owners). Sound is big and rich, as also it has beautiful furniture.
I played in my life on pianos from totally crapped and low-quality uprights, dozens of old and newer grands in music schools up to brand new S&S D model, C model, Kawai RX (little bigger than baby grand) so in fact all kinds of pianos I had below my hands.

Now I am moving from my parents house to flat in old builiding and I can't take AP with me. I have to buy DP to let my neighbours live with me in peace smile

But the main thinking error is that we just cannot compare DP to acoustic instrument...
They are mode for different people, different needs, different skills. Of course, there is some kind of the common area in the AP and DP usage, but...

Who buys DP:
1. Piano lovers who cannot buy AP due to the living conditions (neighbours etc)
2. People who just want to play piano for fun, most probably they will never achieve high-level technique and musical understanding... because they just don't want to smile people want to have fun with piano, not to spend 6 months on learning Chopin's Ballades or Debussy Etudes smile
3.Parents for children but they don't know will they love or hate it...

Going futher... people prefer DP's becase they are smaller and look better in small flats and don't take so much place as AP smile
(It's obvious that in a big living room the only one good looking is mid-sized grand wink

Waht's more, on the DP you can have a lot of fun because its fireworks, different sounds, midi, playing with orchestra etc.
So - in the eyes of 90% people (what we can clearly see on this forum) the DP is the right choice smile

Only for the left 10% of pianists DP is bad, just because they don't have another choice due to some external conditions, but each of them most probably would buy an AP if only could. And this is the little unhappy group claiming about the DP quality smile

So saying, that DP is a crap, generally makes no sense. If you compare it to the any grand, or the most of new uprights (meybe excluding these cheapest) we can say the it;s worse or crap. But go to any piano store, get 2-3k USD upright compare to any concert grand and you will also say that it's a crap... smile

It's the same story as with cars. You can buy Dacia Logan or even Tata Nano,
and say that it's a crap... in many aspects maybe yes, but you cannot compare this to Rolls-Royce or Bentley or Lamborghini... it's just made for other people for other needs smile Eventually, both in Tata and RR you can drive from one place to another smile

#2025941 - 02/02/13 02:57 PM Re: Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture [Re: kippesc]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: kippesc
The first day I owned the RD-700NX, I plugged it into my home stereo (decent Boston Acoustic speakers) and it sounded pretty lame; I've always thought that was my stereo, though. Also, when playing back recorded performances of the RD on the stereo, it does not seem to sound as good as Ivory or the Vintage D.

I only use headphones when playing the Roland, and with headphones, it sounds very good.

It sounds really good to me too (for a DP) through headphones. But through the speakers I built for it it sounds not so good. It seems there are one or more elements of the SN sound that rely too heavily on headphones, like a CD mixed via headphones will likely sound bad when played over speakers. Perhaps headphones were too heavily employed during its development?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, 36251, 45 invisible), 1764 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75505 Members
42 Forums
156129 Topics
2292732 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the purpose of learning a song's chords?
by Alex1
17 minutes 1 second ago
Question about Heller
by BostonTeacher
59 minutes 13 seconds ago
a solo transcription for Debussy' Petite Suite?
by joonsang
Today at 12:03 PM
KAWAI CS7 + VST Instruments
by mmerino
Today at 12:02 PM
Halloween Fantasy and Tag! - student level pieces
by Axtremus
Today at 09:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission