Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 27 of 65 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 64 65 >
Topic Options
#1111243 - 02/20/09 09:20 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks to the inspiring efforts of many here on AB forum[1], I have finally joined the 21st century and figured out how to post videos on YouTube. Here's the two Einaudi pieces I've put up so far:

I due Fiumi

Nuvole Bianche

In both cases, the video track comes from the Flip and the audio track is from my Zoom, laboriously and crudely spliced onto the video using Windows Movie Maker.

I heard in another thread that Zoom is going to come out with a combined audio/video recorder this summer. I'm going to start saving up for it even though I just bought the Flip because this editing stuff is making me pull my hair out.

[1]Among others, Anthony for being a good role model and posting his Einaudi recordings on YouTube; Lisztener for encouraging me to YouTube myself; Agilita for introducing me to the Flip Mino; and AnotherSchmoe for posting the sample Flip videos that convinced me to spring for it. \:\)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1111244 - 02/20/09 10:17 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Bravo!!

#1111245 - 02/23/09 04:29 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or/Las Vegas, Nv
Wow!!!! I really enjoyed those. I also watched your performance of "Watching their Flocks".. I only hope that someday I'll be able to play as well....Thank you and keep them comming.....

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller

#1111246 - 02/23/09 11:04 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mr Super-Hunky Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Very nice Monica. Both pieces were great and I noticed your memorization of them. The Mason really sounds great too.

You have motivated me to attempt a recording but it will have to be with a digital camera as the zoom has no video....yet!.

#1111247 - 02/26/09 01:17 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
Thanks to the inspiring efforts of many here on AB forum[1], I have finally joined the 21st century and figured out how to post videos on YouTube. Here's the two Einaudi pieces I've put up so far:

I due Fiumi

Nuvole Bianche

In both cases, the video track comes from the Flip and the audio track is from my Zoom, laboriously and crudely spliced onto the video using Windows Movie Maker.

I heard in another thread that Zoom is going to come out with a combined audio/video recorder this summer. I'm going to start saving up for it even though I just bought the Flip because this editing stuff is making me pull my hair out.

[1]Among others, Anthony for being a good role model and posting his Einaudi recordings on YouTube; Lisztener for encouraging me to YouTube myself; Agilita for introducing me to the Flip Mino; and AnotherSchmoe for posting the sample Flip videos that convinced me to spring for it. \:\) [/b]
Hi Monica,

Congrats on your successes with these YouTube videos! It's very nice seeing you again, and even nicer to watch you play these Einaudi pieces. I can see why "Nuvole Bianche" is one of your favorites. It's such a beautiful piece. Well done!

Key Notes \:\)

#1158773 - 03/06/09 09:25 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Key Notes]
Monica K. Offline

Something funny happened the other night. I was working late on a book I'm editing, and I was emailing the production editor with some questions. He emailed right back, and when I responded, I said "we are both working WAAAAY too late." He then wrote back that he got more done after hours and, besides, he was enjoying just kicking back and listening to "Divenire" by Einaudi while working. shocked The funny thing is that he had no idea of the piano- and Einaudi-part of my life... I publish as "Harris" (my maiden name) and that's who he thought I was. I naturally informed him straightaway that I was Einaudi's #1 fan and sent him my YouTube links and talked about the concert and everything. So now he probably thinks I'm rather strange, but it was still pretty neat to discover that Einaudi's fan base in the U.S. is spreading. smile

#1159002 - 03/07/09 11:38 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
Motorama Offline

Loc: Europe
I'm really starting to think that hand size matters after all.
I have childish hands (male) and on bar 78 I can't hold the high B while playing B-C notes with thumb and index.

I'd like to see someone with small hands making videos to show you can play anything even if your hands are small, till then I'm ready to believe it makes a huge difference and playing piano harder.

frown

#1159003 - 03/07/09 11:41 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Motorama]
Monica K. Offline

Bar 78 of what piece, Motorama? Sometimes I have to rearrange chords in certain Einaudi pieces or pick up a note with the other hand. If it's a piece I've played I can look to see how I handled that measure. smile

#1159008 - 03/07/09 11:50 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
Motorama Offline

Sorry, bar 78 of Nefeli.

#1159231 - 03/07/09 08:57 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Motorama]
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
I don't think hand size is really an issue here.

I've not played this piece but what I'm pretty sure will help is the sustain pedal. I know it's not usually printed on Einaudi scores but it should generally be used. The only time they usually will add pedal notation is when you need to be holding down pedal for different lengths of time for certain measures.

I hope you have fun learning Nefeli.

#1159248 - 03/07/09 09:22 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: AnthonyB]
Monica K. Offline

That section of Nefeli only calls for octave stretches, though it can be a little uncomfortable or awkward because you're holding down the top key while doing the alternating eighth notes with your thumb and index finger. With practice that stretch should become easier.

Also, the more you play piano, the more your ligaments etc. will stretch, and you will actually find yourself being able to reach more than you could before.

You may also want to experiment with using the sustain pedal, as Anthony suggested, so that you only have to hit that top note once and then you can concentrate on the other notes.

#1159810 - 03/08/09 11:49 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
Motorama Offline

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
That section of Nefeli only calls for octave stretches, though it can be a little uncomfortable or awkward because you're holding down the top key while doing the alternating eighth notes with your thumb and index finger. With practice that stretch should become easier.

These are pics of my hands

As you can see from the first pic when the thumb and index are in the right position the fifth finger doesn't reach the high B

In this second picture I show where the index would naturally place if the fifth finger is in the right playing position. As you can see the index is on F so to reach C it should be moved 4 notes below. When I move it below automatically the fifth finger gets displaced and ends up with the tip on A rather than B.

Besides, seconds pic shows how far my thumb can go, it's its maximum.

What you think?

Edited by Motorama (03/08/09 11:50 PM)

#1160119 - 03/09/09 02:56 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Motorama]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Motorama,

I would suggest you're making things unnecessarily difficult for yourself. If you look closely at how the passage in question is actually played:
  • The sustain pedal is depressed
  • The octave is played, thumb and 5th finger
  • The alternating eighth notes are played
  • The sustain pedal is released, you move to the next octave and repeat the sequence.

In other words, since you don't release the sustain pedal after hitting the octave, the note you play with your little finger continues to sound. When playing this passage, focus on playing the octave clearly (which your hand can span) then completely removing your pinkie from the key and playing the alternating eighth notes.

Although I can span an 11th and can play the section in question with my thumb and pinkie in place, it's much easier this way. Try it!

Edited to add: One thing that sounds kind of nice and is also a good way to practice this is to play the note with your pinkie slightly louder than the one with your thumb when playing the octave. It makes the melody line more apparent and is helps to practice the press and release.

#1160345 - 03/09/09 10:00 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: BB Player]
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Monica, since Le Onde is (was? I think you've conquered it) your Waterloo, can you answer a question for me on it? How do you handle measures 17 / 18?

My teacher does a recital in June, and I am determined to play Le Onde in it. (If I fail, I can always fall back on I Due Fiumi...)

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1160382 - 03/09/09 11:15 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
BB Player Offline

Originally Posted By: Always Wanted to Play Piano
Monica, since Le Onde is (was? I think you've conquered it) your Waterloo, can you answer a question for me on it? How do you handle measures 17 / 18?

I'm not Monica (although I aspire to be, one day laugh ) but could you elaborate a bit more on what you want to know about measures 17/18?

#1160408 - 03/10/09 12:03 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: BB Player]
500 Post Club Member

Fair enough. In 17 and 18 (and 19, and others like it), do you go 54321 w/ the left hand?

Casio Ap-200

#1160465 - 03/10/09 01:50 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
BB Player Offline

Originally Posted By: Always Wanted to Play Piano
Fair enough. In 17 and 18 (and 19, and others like it), do you go 54321 w/ the left hand?

OK, now I understand your question. No, I don't play them 54321 with the left hand. They are both played 52132. In measure 17, the left hand is gdgab. You play the gdg 521, pivot on your thumb (1) and play the ab with your middle and second finger (32).

Practice the left hand alone moving your hand and arm until you get a nice flowing motion up the keyboard. Much easier and more accurate than 54321!

Hope this helps!

p.s. Perhaps we should add a whole new category of answer for all questions on the forum - WWMD. What Would Monica Do? laugh

#1160583 - 03/10/09 09:25 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: BB Player]
Monica K. Offline

LOL!! Actually, the WWMD for all things "Le Onde" is swear and gnash my teeth a lot! laugh And I wouldn't say "conquer" is the right verb... maybe "satisficing" instead. Or perhaps "surrendering."

Greg's fingering for 17 and 18 is what I use, too, AWTPP.

Good luck with your recital! "Le Onde" is such a beautiful piece, but so is "I due fiumi," so you'd be set with either one.

#1160591 - 03/10/09 09:36 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
500 Post Club Member

difference being that I can actually play IDF. On the other hand, it seems very few people have heard any of his music, so in amongst the typical recital stand-byes (Bach Two Part Inventions, things from method books, and what have you) the music is going to stand out enough as it is.

Gonna head straight over to the piano now and give this a try. Thanks everyone for your help.

Casio Ap-200

#1162126 - 03/12/09 11:17 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
flyingfroggy Offline

For those of us who have not wanted to shell out over $300 for a used copy of "The Best of Ludovico Einaudi," I just discovered that it is expected to be back in stock at Amazon.com on March 17, for $26.56 including free shipping! I ordered a copy.

#1164280 - 03/17/09 07:44 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: flyingfroggy]
NeNiRi Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hi all im getting annoyed an frustrated.

I have played(the bit i can play) of LeOnde about a million times, i love the tune! But im wondering how to make it sound really good, like Kwai Girl's version or Einaudi's.

Mine just does not sound as punchy, im trying to work out why that is.

Is it my timing-too much (speeding and slowing)?

Inconsistent touch (tones not even)?

Playing the hands together improperly(i play from memory)?

Im not talking about the obvious mistakes (which there are a good few) but the the bits that are running well but dont sound right?

Maybe iv just played it too many times but i want to play it gooood!! (properly)

http://www.box.net/shared/drjc21zbid

tx Einaudi fans

#1164291 - 03/17/09 08:10 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NeNiRi]
Monica K. Offline

NeNiRi, I thought your version of "Le Onde" was very, very good!! thumb Maybe not in Einaudi's or Kawaigirl's league, but then again, few of us mere mortals are. grin

I wish I had some concrete advice to give you to make your already nice rendition even better, but it took me a very long time to get to close to where you are. The main difference I hear is that Einaudi's version accents the melody notes a shade more than you're doing, I think.

#1164296 - 03/17/09 08:24 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
NeNiRi Offline

Loc: Scotland
Ty Monica,

kind words and i liked your YouTube vids, you give so much to this forum, i have noticed that you always have time for people.

I shall take your advice and try to accent more. I dont know what it is about kwai girls play? but to me i think it's her tempo. I think mine sucks and also she plays they keys really solid i feel that every other note is slightly (non solid)

Every time i try to use a metronome i play like a robot but i feel i use way too much speeding and slowing.

best wishes

#1164306 - 03/17/09 08:41 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NeNiRi]
Monica K. Offline

Listen to Einaudi, though, and you'll hear that he plays with tremendous rubato (variation in tempo). I don't think you want to play "Le Onde" too strictly according to the metronome. I think your tempo is slightly slower overall than how Einaudi plays, but not excessively so.

#1171364 - 03/30/09 11:55 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Aurora, CO
Originally Posted By: Monica K.

Nuvole Bianche

Wow. Excellent! This has got to be another one on my "Must Learn" list.

#1171367 - 03/30/09 12:04 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NeNiRi]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Aurora, CO
Originally Posted By: NeNiRi
Hi all im getting annoyed an frustrated.
Maybe iv just played it too many times but i want to play it gooood!! (properly)

http://www.box.net/shared/drjc21zbid

tx Einaudi fans

Sounds wonderful to me. Much subtly in this that you are handling very well!

#1171435 - 03/30/09 02:22 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: kennychaffin]
500 Post Club Member

I'm just starting out with Le Onde, with an eye towards performing it publicly at a recital in June. I must admit, it's slow going.

Don't have any specific questions, just an update. Frankly, I think the piece is beyond me, but I like it too much to set it aside so soon.

Casio Ap-200

#1172089 - 03/31/09 02:16 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
Just started with Le Onde last night (yes I'm VERY late to the Einaudi party) and already I'm looking for some suggestions.

Let's start with bar 5:

I've tried fingering the melody (looks like the notes of a broken D9 chord to me {D. F#, C#, E, A, D}) and have a few methods that seem to work.

1) p, i, r, t, m, t
2) p, t, r, t, m, t
3) p, t, p, t, m, t
4) p, i, p, t, m, t

Where:

t = thumb
i = index
m = middle
r = ring
p = pinky

Since this pattern is repeated a lot, I want to be sure that I'm getting the optimal one into my fingers. Perhaps there is another fingering pattern I didn't think of which would work better?? Thoughts???

Rodney

Edited by Rodney (03/31/09 03:42 PM)

#1172100 - 03/31/09 02:49 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Rodney]
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Hi Rodney,

I tend to go p,t,r,t,i,t.

However, looking at my hands while I play it, it seems to make no sense. So looking at your charts, the nearest 'sensible' way for me would be 2), only I use a larger i,t stretch instead of m,t

#1172105 - 03/31/09 03:05 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Euan Morrison]
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
Hi Euan,

#2 was my first choice but for some reason I found #1 & #3 to be smoother for some reason.

Page 27 of 65 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 64 65 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
J.D.Grandt Bass Strings Opinions Please
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:48 PM
Which Electronic Sounds & Feels Most Like Real?
by MinstrelandMuse
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
fun music theory
by David Farley
Yesterday at 07:56 PM
Equivalent of University piano degree from private lessons
by mbself
Yesterday at 07:35 PM
Music Apps
by Eeurogirly
Yesterday at 07:11 PM
Who's Online
85 registered (Beemer, AZNpiano, anotherscott, 23 invisible), 1128 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158460 Topics
2327009 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission