2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2025176 02/01/13 10:48 AM
T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
So as some of you know, we got an old, but new to us piano this week. My son has been playing with very little interruption the last couple days. We had a digital partial keyboard, which obviously has easy action and the acoustic piano has a harder action. Well last night and this morning his hands hurt. I am sure it is all the intense piano playing (he has been determined to get a few songs which stretch his hands a lot.). But other than taking it easy or less intensive playing, are they any exercises that might help him?

Thanks, it's a good problem but want to stay proactive. Also, when the tuner comes, is the action adjustable? We haven't had an acoustic piano before so it is new to me! Thanks again.

J
J
Does your son have an instructor or is he "self taught"? If the latter your son is on the road to injury as it sounds like he is playing with a lot of tension in his hands. The short-term fix is to take a break. The longer-term fix is to learn proper relaxed technique which will not happen without an instructor.

Pain at the piano is a warning sign that should be taken seriously.

S
S
Hello... Your son's hands hurt and I suggest an option for you is to address this in the Teacher's Forum of our Piano World as they will give you professional suggestions. I had hand problems from wearing a large ring and I stressed a tendon as I play piano often. Please get professional advice as I did. Blessings to you and your son. Sandra M

S
S
does the piano has heavy action?

PLEYEL P124
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Most likely, it's simply related to the sudden change to a real action combined with his enthusiasm...it's like going to the gym for the first time. For most people, the adjustment can take a couple of weeks. Slow him down a bit so that his hands can adjust gradually.

There are lots of piano exercises. Since this piano is new to him, you can safely start with scales. Look for Hanon (or Junior Hanon, depending on his level) are hugely popular.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
He does have an instructor, we go next Monday. Since we got the piano, he has been self teaching and has never played so much or with so much intensity. I wouldn't say the action is hard, but I am not a professional and I just think he was used to the digital super easy action.

T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks Sam, I will look those up! I told him this morning that he needed to slow down a little and let his hands get used to the piano. (It is so awesome to see him determined and getting it, especially with school being harder with his hearing issues, so I just want to make sure we are doing it the right way!)

J
J
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Look for Hanon.

I'm going to disagree here. Hanon has a reputation for being somewhat likely to be injurious if not approached very carefully with an instructor. For a player who is already hurting his hands (again, almost certainly because he's tensing up) Hanon will only aggravate the condition.

The counterintuitive thing OPs son needs to learn is that speed and power come from good technique, which comes from relaxing. That was very counterintuitive to me which is why I am saying a good teacher is needed here.

Last edited by jawhitti; 02/01/13 06:02 PM.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Stretching the hand wide to reach notes makes a lot of muscle tension. He has to practice rolling the hand to make the reach and start slowly and stay relaxed. If he tries too hard to hit the right note without trusting in the "Force" (paraphrase Star Wars)-he is setting himself up for tendonitis. Alicia De Larrocha (famous concert pianist), could barely reach an octave. I watched her practice the Lizst Sonata and she could roll wide intervals so fast as to be aurally imperceptible. A good teacher and your help keeping him practicing properly at home will probably fix the problem. He should just "Play" at the piano not "Perform" when he practices.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hey guys, thanks for the thoughts...I emailed his teacher and asked if we could hire him a few extra times to come to our house and teach him the proper posture and hand holding specific to this piano. We go to his studio usually but thought if I got him to come a few times here, it would be good to correct him in action! And we have the tuner coming Tuesday.

The "force" comment make me chuckle, having 2 boys of that age, there is a lot of conversation about the "force." smile

R
R
How old is your son?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Seconding the caution about Hanon. I was assigned a couple of exercises to be performed as a warm-up and played one after the other. After two weeks of this, I developed pain in my left hand/wrist; when reaching for something it felt like a pop followed by an 'electric shock' kind of sensation. Doctor said tendonitis; I dropped the Hanon completely and the pain receded slowly, took about 10 days. Nothing else changed, it had to be Hanon! So, we're doing Czerny instead. smile

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
He is 8.5

J
J
As far as your question about "is the action adjustable" - see about having the piano VOICED and REGULATED and not just tuned. Making sure the action is properly lubed and consistent, and the hammers are properly hitting the strings and the felts are in good shape will make the action feel lighter even though it really won't change. This will probably cost a few hundred bucks.

The "weight" of action can't really be changed much without spending a lot of money and frankly the idea is a nonstarter. If you're lucky maybe Del will drop in and wax operatic on the topic but the cost of doing anything significant could easily exceed the cost of your piano. Just day or two of TLC from a good tech will get it as good as it can be.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Also make sure he is sitting at the proper height. In many homes where I tune, the bench, stool, chair, or whatever they use at the piano is much lower than it should be.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL

There are lots of piano exercises. Since this piano is new to him, you can safely start with scales. Look for Hanon (or Junior Hanon, depending on his level) are hugely popular.

Scales are fine, but like other posters, I'd approach Hanon with caution.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Tjpp
My son has been playing with very little interruption the last couple days.

This is how music majors and professionals injure themselves. Four hours of practice time each day is more than sufficient for 98% of people who play the piano. Any more than that and there will be a diminishing rate of return, and it will make hand injury much more likely, especially if the pianist is not used to practicing that much!

But other than taking it easy or less intensive playing, are they any exercises that might help him?

No. Rest is needed. Exercises may inflame the problem.

Thanks, it's a good problem but want to stay proactive.

How is this a good problem? Your son's hands hurt. This is a serious problem if not monitored and taken seriously. Several of my friends developed tendinitis from piano playing or typing... one couldn't play the piano for a month and another may never be able to play again.

Also, when the tuner comes, is the action adjustable?

Yes and no. Regulation and excess friction can reduce or eliminate a heavy touch (expect to pay extra for this), but only if those issues are present to begin with. Otherwise, the action must be modified and that is expensive.

T
Tjpp Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Ok, thanks, I only said good problem because he wants to play so much (vs me nagging him to get his 10-15 min. practice in:). I totally agree I don't want him to hurt or have an injury.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Ok, thanks, I only said good problem because he wants to play so much (vs me nagging him to get his 10-15 min. practice in:). I totally agree I don't want him to hurt or have an injury.

I knew what you meant. It's great that he's enthusiastic, but, please don't take this lightly! If his hands hurt, don't let him play until they're better. Good luck!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I understand the Hanon cautions. FWIW, Junior Hanon does some to address this by selecting just some of the 60 exercises better suited for smaller hands, spacing the hands better to reduce wrist strain and reducing the tempo and length of some exercises.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission