Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2025604 - 02/01/13 09:22 PM Things are going quite well - a quick update
TBAF Offline

Loc: Liverpool, UK
Hi everybody.

Just thought I'd share an update on my progress after two full weeks of practice.

After some basic exercises in C using alternative hands, I've now expanded up to a full octave each way, so finger positioning has been tricky, but I'm getting used to it.

I've also played some exercises using C, F, G7 (2 versions) chords, and arpeggios.

I'm really enjoying stealing an hour or so per day. The headphones and my Yamaha P35 are a God send for not disturbing anybody, and my wife's cynicism is slowly disappearing!

I keep dipping in here, and the enthusiasm of everybody is infectious.

Cheers!

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2025685 - 02/02/13 01:16 AM Re: Things are going quite well - a quick update [Re: TBAF]
Sand Tiger Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Hi again, glad you are finding an hour a day with a four-year old at home, and enjoying the Yamaha P35. Are you working through one of the method books? Or charting some other course?

The Achievement of the Week thread is where many of us check in with our weekly reports and encourage each other.

Some other newcomer takes the time to learn a piece here and there that the wife appreciates. That approach might earn you some more brownie points with the wife.

#2025730 - 02/02/13 04:23 AM Re: Things are going quite well - a quick update [Re: TBAF]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Well done fella.... i agree with the idea of learnng a few pieces to please the wife.... though secretly she'll be proud of you through all of it anyways..... plus, like me a 4 year old really helps i find, bella is interested in ppaying and listening to me too.... till she gets bored anyways! :-)

#2025870 - 02/02/13 12:08 PM Re: Things are going quite well - a quick update [Re: Sand Tiger]
TBAF Offline

Hi Sand Tiger.

I've been using the 'Play It Today' course (with accompanying cassette). It's 40 lessons in total, which teaches technique, reading music, as well as expression. AnthonyB explains it better on the link below. It's something I used to follow in its early stages as a kid.

http://www.abrsm.org/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t835.html

I'll probably back this up with getting some sheet music for some of my own tastes in music, but I need to be technically better first.

I guess being an adult learner has its advantages. I find my patience to be better, and concentration span to be greater when trying to read notation. This is something I didn't apply myself to at school when I was playing.

I'd love to recruit the services of a local teacher, but with time at a premium, and another baby on the way in July, it's not viable, so I'll have to persevere with this way.

#2025875 - 02/02/13 12:13 PM Re: Things are going quite well - a quick update [Re: UK Paul UK]
TBAF Offline

UK Paul UK.

Thanks for the reply mate. My little lad is keen on copying pretty much anything I do, so I'm hopeful he'll take to music with all the enthusiasm that I had, but with a bit more dedication (and encouragement from me)!!!

The wife originally didn't 'get' why I wanted to learn again. When I pointed out to her that I am not the type of husband who likes to go out most weekends with 'the lads', and who has long stopped wasting money watching football, and who can't afford a golf membership (as much as I'd like one), then she's started to realise that me having this hobby to keep me mentally active is not a bad thing at all.

Just wait until I serenade her... !!!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (36251, Almaviva, acortot, 42 invisible), 1490 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153542 Topics
2250185 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
39 minutes 49 seconds ago
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
Today at 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:06 AM
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission