Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
137 registered (accordeur, Alexander Borro, 40 invisible), 1770 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 167 of 244 < 1 2 ... 165 166 167 168 169 ... 243 244 >
Topic Options
#1898122 - 05/16/12 04:47 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Evening everybody!

I'm also enjoying the recital, but I wanted to say hi over here. I hope you all are doing well, my friends.

See you all later.

My website

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1898558 - 05/17/12 10:15 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Good morning everyone! P.J. and Richard, I assume Rossy is extremely busy these days since I got by with that reference to Roy Orbitson. The last time I got away with something like that was last year when he was so busy with completing his very first composition. We hadn't heard from him in many many days! However, he surfaced just as me and Wayne were getting into a bit of mischief with some naughty remarks.

Anyways, I only have time for one post today. It's a busy time at work and home. Recaredo, introduced some of us to flamenco, last Christmas if my memory serves me well. While this is not traditional flamenco one of my friends introduced me to this artist who performs flamenco jazz on the piano. I found it very interesting. Have a listen and see what you think.

Here is Chano Dominguez & Band playing "Oye Como Viene"

#1898560 - 05/17/12 10:17 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Off to work I go. Have a great day everyone!

#1898585 - 05/17/12 11:05 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Well, since it's so quiet today, I think it's a good time to post this video I've been saving for a while.
I can't wait to hear Richard's detailed analysis of the music- it's quite complex and dynamic and I'm not sure he's up to it.
I think if Freddy Mercury were still alive today, it'd bring tears to his eyes.

Note the piano at 0:52 seconds. Wish I could play that well.
And, gals, check out the lead singer/drummer at 0:57 seconds. Who could resist such a hairy, sexy dude? sigh....

Edited by piano joy (05/17/12 11:07 AM)

#1898630 - 05/17/12 12:27 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Griffin, I’m glad you posted about flamenco jazz.

I attended this concert in my city. I know the pianist very well (he’s my nephew).

My website

#1898664 - 05/17/12 01:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: Recaredo
Griffin, I’m glad you posted about flamenco jazz.

I attended this concert in my city. I know the pianist very well (he’s my nephew).

WOW!! Recaredo, I am very impressed with this. Your nephew and this ensemble are very talented. I happened to be on my lunch break while I was listening, and one of my colleagues heard this and stopped by to listen. He is a professional jazz vocalist as well. He was also impressed. Thank you for sharing this. It was like having a desert after my lunch!

Feel free to share more in the future. Back to work for me. I will check in later.

#1898712 - 05/17/12 03:03 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country

As 10cc said, Oh Donna...

Saturday is party day, so lots of preps between now and then. We shall of course have a minute's disco dancing in honour of the queen of disco.

#1898721 - 05/17/12 03:18 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: piano joy]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Originally Posted By: piano joy
Griffin, if Rossy were here, he would never, EVER , let you get away with saying " the Big O " .

Just sayin'.......
smile

(glad your cough went away!)

Indeed, and as happenstance would have it, this has unexpectedly come back to haunt Griffin just when everyone thought that it wouldnt.

Because Rossy is here and Rossy did notice.

Apparently there is a little "O" a middle sized "O" and a very large "O" which I believe is the one that Griffin gave reference to. All these O's are very different and have different meanings.

I am presuming the Americanisation of "Big O " is taken from the UK "very large O" which is probably the type of O that pianojoy derives most delight from, I know I would, normally, and if I didnt have a prostate exam at the hospital to attend immediately afterwards say.

I say "hospital" because the three thai girls working in a rented room told me to call it a call "hospital" if anyone who was in uniform ( that wasnt themselves) asked.

I didnt know you had to tip nurses before that happened.

Anyways Yes, Griffin .

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1898733 - 05/17/12 03:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Requiescat Donnam in pacem.

#1898769 - 05/17/12 04:54 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Lovely, Richard.

Rossy? Oh, that reminds me...

Currently trying to choose a piece by Frescobaldi to start learning soon...

#1898783 - 05/17/12 05:18 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Griffin, I’m so glad to see you and your colleague enjoyed the video of my nephew Sergio. Now he lives in Dallas, he is doing PhD studies at Texas University. I hope he succeeds in his career.

Thanks for your comment, Griffin.

My website

#1899285 - 05/18/12 02:28 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Aha! I see that I can draw Rossy out when I make a slip up with various unintended meanings and interpretations. Unfortunately I do that without even trying. I never know when that's going to happen. oh well, it's a tough job that someone has to do, and It may as well be me.

Hi everyone, I don't have much time to post today and I'm just finishing my lunch break. However, I want pay my respects to Donna Summers (R.I.P.). Richard, I hadn't heard the news of her death yesterday until well after you posted. I loved your post.

Here is my contribution today. This was the first time I saw her on TV. It was electrifying.

Peace!

#1899287 - 05/18/12 02:30 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Have a great day everyone! I'll be back with some things to share this weekend including stuff for the Sunday classical postings, of course!

#1899309 - 05/18/12 03:30 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Lovely post, Griffin.

I'm still trying to get my head around what we should do here tomorrow, as a tribute to her. There will be fans, including me (well, 25 or so). I have various recordings. mmmm.

#1899320 - 05/18/12 03:45 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I was playing in a rock band and very disparaging of 'Disco' music.

Until I heard this.

I later got the extended remix, too!

#1899326 - 05/18/12 03:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Eglantine, I've been trying to track down Frescobaldi's D minor toccata. I don't know where I know it from but it's not too difficult. It was number eight in one book and number two in another if memory serves. I can't find it on YouTube.

It may have been one of the scores I was using at Cardiff Uni but I definitely don't have it now. I can't even remember how it went frown though I'm sure I'd recognise it if I heard it again.

Let me know when you've made your choice.

#1899353 - 05/18/12 04:34 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Richard, the conjunction of Giorgio and Donna in that song was something else. It really did change everything. Beyond the recording itself, the instrumentation, the beat, the everything, it spawned the whole remix culture (well, remixes of Kraftwerk's TEE, Detroit treatments of 80s Sheffield electro, also had a hand, but... that was the big one).

There's a fabulous book, Last Night a DJ Saved My Life (Broughton & Brewster), that covers this whole era's remix culture, which I highly recommend.

Frescobaldi: I THINK I have settled on Aria detta la Frescobalda (and variations). All I know on the toccatas... is that there is one that is fake! Not by him, but quite well known.
Have you checked out IMSLP? There are lots of the toccatas there, in Barenreiter editions. I mean, the complete first and second books.

http://erato.uvt.nl/files/imglnks/usimg/...rks._Vol._3.pdf

http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks...rks._Vol._4.pdf

Of course, 19thC publishers produced all kinds of editions, and muddied the waters.

#1899399 - 05/18/12 05:35 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ah! IMSLP. Every time I go there I get sidetracked. It's like an Aladdin's Cave. I saw the first dozen toccatas in manuscript and then I got waylaid again. smile

But you've settled on La Frescobalda so it's of no matter - I was looking for you. On your behalf, that is, I wasn't expecting to find you there!

#1899752 - 05/19/12 12:52 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Eglantine]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: Eglantine
Lovely post, Griffin.

I'm still trying to get my head around what we should do here tomorrow, as a tribute to her. There will be fans, including me (well, 25 or so). I have various recordings. mmmm.

Hi Eglantine,
I don't have much time to post today. However, we could post a few things of Donna's today. I have a little correspondence to do. However, I should be about to post in a few hours. I'll be sure to check in first to make sure that I don't duplicate what's already been posted. How does that sound?

#1899901 - 05/19/12 05:39 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Hi guys, I've been away from the computer all day, cooking food and generally having a great day with all my guests.

Some lovely prezzies, including hardbacks of Barenreiter Anna Magdalena Notebook and Henle Little Preludes. Lovely editions.

Sorry Griffin, I think I used 'here' in a way that was confusing. We've been celebrating Donna, and there was even dancing in the living room in the middle of the afternoon.

#1899902 - 05/19/12 05:41 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Richard, I shall look out for that piece. Thanks for the heads up.
(I hadn't thought about the toccatas as I thought they be too challenging for me.)

#1900040 - 05/19/12 11:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Eglantine]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Geez, I have been out for a while, what is going on in the Pianist Corner? Have they been hacked or something?

Anyway, here is an interesting video.

#1900061 - 05/20/12 12:51 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
This is one of my favorites.. I never realized that she wrote and/or co-wrote her songs. What a beautiful voice. smile

ON THE RADIO - DONNA SUMMER

Edited by Elssa (05/20/12 01:20 AM)

#1900074 - 05/20/12 02:17 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Elssa]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Here's another one that she wrote.. Well, back to work now (medical transcription) g'nite all smile

#1900147 - 05/20/12 09:11 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

You kept your birthday quiet, Eglantine!

Many happy returns for yesterday. Glad you enjoyed youself. Hope this helps with the recovery.

#1900168 - 05/20/12 10:21 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Elssa, Richard, thanks very much for the Donna Summer posts. It's good to know that others here also appreciated her.

Richard, you may have noticed on 'another thread' that Casinitaly posted yesterday a mammoth congratulations on my birthday, in red caps 48 point bold or summat. Or not (noticed) :-)
In any case, I think we were all affected yesterday by the Pianist Corner Superbug.

Right, the kitchen is once again fit to live in, I've re-booted the 'puter (happens around once a fortnight) and this afternoon I will be looking for and printing out some Frescobaldi that will hopefully serve me for the rest of the term, whilst also listening to some new-to-me Philip Glass.

The two beautiful volumes of Bach (Barenreiter Anna Magdalena notebook, and the Henle Bach Little Preludes) are even better in daylight. The woven covers are in the lightest hue of blue-green. The paper is what you would wish. I'm having to wash my paprika-coated-mitts carefully before touching them.

Otherwise, today I am mainly re-hashing left-over everything (a lot!) and maybe delivering more doggie bags to my lovely and very elderly neighbour, who spent yesterday afternoon round here.

#1900169 - 05/20/12 10:22 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Good morning everyone. A belated Happy Birthday to Eglantine. You were awfully quiet about it. Thanks to Richard for letting us know. I also enjoyed the Sonata Quinta.

My first post for today is the Fugue in G Minor, BWV 542, by Johann Sebastian Bach. It is performed on organ by Anthony Newman.

#1900170 - 05/20/12 10:23 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
Wish you a very very happy and healthy birthday, Eglantine (sorry for belated wish!). I noticed the cake yesterday and thought I'd share it later. But you've left nothing today grin
This is for you:

And, as I wanted from Richard also, please consider sharing some of your piano and harp recording with us on this lovely occasion.

#1900176 - 05/20/12 10:38 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Eglantine, we posted at the same time! I'm glad you had a wonderful celebration yesterday. Since you are regular visitor to the Handel House, you might particularly enjoy my next posting "Concerto for Harp, Strings, and 2 Flutes."

1. Andante Allegro

2. Larghetto

3. Allegro Moderato

#1900187 - 05/20/12 11:04 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

Good morning Rupak, I enjoyed the Purcell. Since we seem to be enjoying the Baroque music here is a beautiful guitar rendition of Fuga BWV 1000 by Johann Sebastian Bach. The performance is by Hungarian guitarist Tamás Szekeres.

Page 167 of 244 < 1 2 ... 165 166 167 168 169 ... 243 244 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you play the piano 'for relaxation'?
by bennevis
11/26/14 01:18 PM
Daily temperature swings
by Stubbie
11/26/14 11:45 AM
New Grotrian 6'3" v. Steinway B
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 11:17 AM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
by musdan
11/26/14 10:07 AM
Book about Alice Herz-Sommer, pianist and holocaust survivor
by neuralfirings
11/26/14 09:20 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159368 Topics
2341072 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission