Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
132 registered (anamnesis, Alan Cyr, acollins, ando, Alan_Dublin, 42 invisible), 1398 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2026086 - 02/02/13 10:54 PM what is the sexiest chord in jazz?
offnote Offline

Loc: Banned
I want to pull some chicks on next coming gig,
What kinda chord can you suggest to initiate seduction ?
I was thinking about augmented F#sus13/C with spread sixth on top
And sprinkled some seconds in the middle.
Plus I can do Keith Jarrett face to emphasize the excitement.
What do you think?

Piano & Music Accessories
#2026111 - 02/03/13 12:22 AM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: offnote]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

You've got to be kidding..should I or shouldn't I ...what the heck..ok, here goes -a C Maj six-nine chord, of course)

HAHA!

DF

#2026179 - 02/03/13 04:43 AM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: offnote]
jazztpt Online   content

Whatever, the Keith Jarrett face will clinch it.

Piano Recordings

#2026198 - 02/03/13 06:24 AM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: offnote]
zapper Offline

Originally Posted By: offnote

Plus I can do Keith Jarrett face to emphasize the excitement.
What do you think?

I think you do that and you'll get laid for sure... smokin

#2026296 - 02/03/13 12:29 PM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: offnote]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

haha

#2026300 - 02/03/13 12:44 PM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: offnote]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Je sus

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#2026459 - 02/03/13 06:21 PM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: offnote]
jawhitti Offline

Go with Kenny Barron chords - all fifths with a minor second in the middle. FCGAbEbBb. Alternate major and minor voicings.

Disclaimer: the piano never got me laid.

#2026596 - 02/03/13 11:48 PM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: offnote]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

Those are also the beautiful Bartok chords in his piano concertos, he moves them around all over the place, fantastic)

DF

#2026817 - 02/04/13 10:18 AM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: offnote]
jawhitti Offline

Really, Bartok did it? I first encountered this sound in Satriani's "Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing" in like 1990. Satch based "Power Cosmic" almost completely on this voicing; it's worth a listen if you've never heard it. The rhythm guitar in the bakground arpeggiates major/minor feel descending the LH in half steps and the RH in whole steps half as fast. The effect is quite ethereal and mysterious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_QxoRzxJYY

(Kenny Barron style kicks in at 1:32). I only found out that was called "Kenny Barron voicings" a few weeks ago. And now I hear it goes back to Bartok? Now I'm just waiting to hear that it was a well-known trick of Mozart's. Thanks for the pointer Dave - I'll look for it.

Incidentally as someone with small hands I find this voicing very fatiguing.

Edited by jawhitti (02/04/13 10:24 AM)

#2030159 - 02/09/13 11:04 PM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: jawhitti]
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: jawhitti
Go with Kenny Barron chords - all fifths with a minor second in the middle. FCGAbEbBb. Alternate major and minor voicings.

Disclaimer: the piano never got me laid.

Lovely sound. Is there any literature on using these chords? Books or chapters in books?

Trying to put them into a vi-ii-V-I progression, I fail miserably. The sound confuses me. Using the chord that you wrote out (FCGAbEbBb), I hear a strong pull towards Eb, as though your chord was the 5th, but that would be Bb in the key of Eb, and only the top note in your chord seems to belong to that chord.

Edited by Jake Jackson (02/09/13 11:05 PM)

#2030275 - 02/10/13 05:45 AM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: offnote]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Hey Jake
I happened to be watching this yesterday. Prior to this vid, I hadn't known what a Kenny Barron chord was, technically speaking.
However, I have been applying the concept, which is one of "enlarging" the voicing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkkqPZVK_Zg

#2030367 - 02/10/13 09:54 AM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: offnote]
jawhitti Offline

Nice vid, custard. I have been monkeying around with this voicing and agree it is hard to fit into a II-V-I. I seem to have the best luck applying it sparingly.

A nice exercise to just get the feeling is to steal Satriani's progression. Play the FCGAbEbBb with some roll, then drop the LH a half step so your playing E B Gb Ab Eb Bb. This is the Major voiving. Then drop the LH a half step again and this time drop RH a whole step, so EbBbF and GbDbAb. You've just transposed down a step. Repeat until you get sick of it. That's what is going on in that track I linked to above, and the guitar is playing a simple solo over the top.

Jake this chord does have a lot of Eb chord tones in it - in some ways it does seem more like an Eb than an F.

Edit: ya know I've always like Eric Johnson's "Song for Lynnette" but could never figure out how to play it (and could never find sheet music). It just occurred to me that that piece has a similar sound and in this vid the player does appear to be playing 1-5-9 in the LH. So this may also be an example of their usage:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Gbvw5JGJHno&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGbvw5JGJHno

Edited by jawhitti (02/10/13 10:31 AM)

#2030448 - 02/10/13 12:12 PM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: jawhitti]
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA

Jake this chord does have a lot of Eb chord tones in it - in some ways it does seem more like an Eb than an F.

Now I see: In the key of Eb, that chord can function as a form of suspended Eb, so that just moving the Ab down to G resolves. So the chord becomes a substitute for the 5th in a vi-ii-V-I.

Because the chord has an F on the far left, I was trying to use it as the ii chord, F minor. Instead, it can come in after the F minor chord and then resolve to the tonic.

But I've yet to see how similar chords can used throughout a vi-ii-V-I sequence. The minor chords have such a different coloring. Minor 7th chords sometimes seem to sound better, with the b3 on top (1-b7-b3 voicing), but I'm still experimenting. And I still need to watch the video you linked to...

Thanks.

Edited by Jake Jackson (02/10/13 12:15 PM)

#2030719 - 02/10/13 06:38 PM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: offnote]
DaveRobertsJazz Offline

Stay away from minor chords or you might get arrested.

#2030737 - 02/10/13 07:01 PM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: DaveRobertsJazz]
zapper Offline

Originally Posted By: DaveRobertsJazz

Stay away from minor chords or you might get arrested.

good tip laugh

Regarding seduction I think the broken string chord would be the best here....

#2030822 - 02/10/13 10:19 PM Re: what is the sexiest chord in jazz? [Re: jawhitti]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Nice vid, custard. I have been monkeying around with this voicing and agree it is hard to fit into a II-V-I. I seem to have the best luck applying it sparingly.

A nice exercise to just get the feeling is to steal Satriani's progression. Play the FCGAbEbBb with some roll, then drop the LH a half step so your playing E B Gb Ab Eb Bb. This is the Major voiving. Then drop the LH a half step again and this time drop RH a whole step, so EbBbF and GbDbAb. You've just transposed down a step. Repeat until you get sick of it. That's what is going on in that track I linked to above, and the guitar is playing a simple solo over the top.

Hey jaws
Thanks for spelling out this pretty sample progression.
To my ears it sounds like introducing a Cmin7 sound to F min, then a Bmaj7 sound to E maj, then a C#maj6 sound go Eb min.
As the "upper extensions" go from C to B to C# it all sounds very smooth.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Setting up the room
by cullam
11/24/14 10:18 AM
Saint-Saens 2nd concerto - best edition (fingering)?
by Barly
11/24/14 07:09 AM
Music reading apps for iPad that use mic
by Artur Gajewski
11/24/14 03:02 AM
About Roland's PHA4 STANDARD and F-130R
by Yussnan84
11/24/14 12:55 AM
Call me irresponsible....
by harpon
11/23/14 11:17 PM
Forum Stats
77024 Members
42 Forums
159311 Topics
2340226 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission