2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....Oh -- in case you were half serious about "Well, what are you going to do? As written, the same note is to be played with your right hand, and your left-hand is already on it" grin or for anyone who wonders: You can immediately release the note with the LH to allow it to be played by the RH, and then the pedal sustains it....

On second look....I blew it there -- that's not at all how it's usually done.
Never mind. smile

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Thrill Science
Why would *you* want to cheat in an Etude?
Doesn't it make studying the Etude meaningless?

Sometimes the goal is to make music!

That doesn't negate the fact that it is still an etude.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Well, what are you going to do? As written, the same note is to be played with your right hand, and your left-hand is already on it. You're not leaving out any notes....

It doesn't seem all that confusing to me. You play the octave with the left hand - it is sustained with the pedal - and you bounce the left thumb off the key to allow the right thumb to restrike the note. The fingering given is Chopin's own, so I imagine that is what he had in mind. To me, repeating the C with the left hand thumb is far more difficult than using the right. I think that a slight agogic stretch at that spot is okay, too.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wr
Well, what are you going to do? As written, the same note is to be played with your right hand, and your left-hand is already on it. You're not leaving out any notes....

It doesn't seem all that confusing to me. You play the octave with the left hand - it is sustained with the pedal - and you bounce the left thumb off the key to allow the right thumb to restrike the note. The fingering given is Chopin's own, so I imagine that is what he had in mind. To me, repeating the C with the left hand thumb is far more difficult than using the right. I think that a slight agogic stretch at that spot is okay, too.

If you're not going to regroup the notes (ie Mark's alternate fingering), then I definitely agree. It makes the passage more difficult. But if you do regroup, then striking the C with the LH makes sense.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Originally Posted by wr
....You play the octave with the left hand - it is sustained with the pedal - and you bounce the left thumb off the key to allow the right thumb to restrike the note.

That's how it's done. thumb
Not what I said. ha

....I think that a slight agogic stretch at that spot is okay, too.

That, on the the other hand, is not how it's done. grin

IMO you can't afford any break in the rhythm there, at all -- because it's where you're establishing the tempo and rhythm. That is, immediately.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone do an 'agogic stretch' there, and I think I'd fall off my seat if I did -- not from being aghast, but from losing my balance. ha

Originally Posted by Derulux
If you're not going to regroup the notes (ie Mark's alternate fingering)....

You're absolutely not going to do "Mark's alternate fingering." grin
It's not an alternate fingering, it's a farce.

Originally Posted by wr

That doesn't negate the fact that it is still an etude.
I think the point is that if one is playing an etude that is also a a great musical work, making music can supersede the fact that the the piece is an etude. Even if one is focused only on the technical benefits of playing an etude, what about the benefits of playing the rest of the etude as written? Should a student miss out on all the technical and musical benefits of playing the etude (with some minor alteration) just because they don't have the time or skill to play a few notes as written? Some posters seem to act like some has suggested playing an octave etude in single notes throughout.

I think, quite frankly, that any discussion of redistributing a single note in any piece, etude or not, is very silly and almost infantile. As one poster's teacher called similar thoughts "majoring in minoring." An extreme example of missing the forest for the trees. Not the thing that I can imagine really good pianists ever do.

Many students study some Chopin etudes at one point but many never play them at a professional speed. This kind of "alteration" makes redistributing a single note look like a single grain of sand on a beach yet I think most students still benefit from doing this kind of practice. This is why teachers assign the Chopin Etudes to pupils so frequently.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/31/13 10:51 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Leaving out that one note goes way beyond "cheating" and is totally inexcusable. Shocking really. For ethical reasons you should change the title of thread immediately.

Funny.. cause when we were talking about Bunin purposely leaving out a note, you said it was just one grain of sand on a giant beach.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon

Then you should be playing the Liszt etudes.

laugh
LOL

Originally Posted by JoelW
Leaving out that one note goes way beyond "cheating" and is totally inexcusable. Shocking really. For ethical reasons you should change the title of thread immediately.
Funny.. cause when we were talking about Bunin purposely leaving out a note, you said it was just one grain of sand on a giant beach.

....and funny that you call changing the entire nature of a phrase "leaving out a note." grin

(Leaving out the note was the least of it. It was a tiny detail that helped enable him to do his very different interpretation of the phrase.)

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Of the C major etude, Chopin said to a student, "If you study this as I intended it, it widens the hand and enables you to play runs of wide broken chords like bow strokes. But often, unfortunately, instead of making people learn all that, it makes people unlearn it."

I suppose that different hand types have different issues with this etude. Both Horowitz and Rubinstein refused to record it. My hand is a virtual photocopy of Van Cliburn's (we are the same height and build) and one might presume that this etude is a mere lark for me, but not at all - measure 30 has been my bête noire for many years. The fifth finger descending to the fourth finger (E-flat to B-flat) certainly does not compliment my hand (yes, I have tried the third finger, but that is worse). I have seen pianists with smaller hands negotiate that passage with greater ease. But I don't utilize two-handed 'cheating' because I want to solve the riddle on its own terms.

I have followed Cortot's edition (among others, of course) and with all due respect to that noble artist, I find his preparatory exercises, which often utilize a fixed-grip, in direct contradiction to the greater purpose of the etude, which is to achieve elasticity and flexibility while 'under duress' of wide stretches that are unrelenting in ever-varying repetition.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

....and funny that you call changing the entire nature of a phrase "leaving out a note." grin

(Leaving out the note was the least of it. It was a tiny detail that helped enable him to do his very different interpretation of the phrase.)

AND YET... a single grain on one big beach.

Thanks for helping me prove my point. smile

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

In honor of you, I may go back, relearn the piece, and record it with your alternate fingering. I will, of course, give you all the credit. And I mean ALL the credit. :p wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
At first I thought the reasoning behind the LH "take" was because the player's physiognomy made reaching the RH thumb down there difficult. But then the subsequent measures would again require a "fix."

I might forgive such a thing for one occurrence in a big work, but not where it's an integral, repeated part of the structure.

Thanks for helping me prove my point. smile

Not to make a big thing of it, but glad to be of service. grin

In honor of you, I may go back, relearn the piece, and record it with your alternate fingering. I will, of course, give you all the credit. And I mean ALL the credit. :p wink

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Jonathan Baker
Of the C major etude, Chopin said to a student, "If you study this as I intended it, it widens the hand and enables you to play runs of wide broken chords like bow strokes...."

Is that an undisputed quote??

It surprises me if it is, because I've tended to doubt that he much conceived of the etudes as helping develop technique (as most people assume he did). I've viewed them more as compositional studies -- showing how you can create great music with etude figures -- and pieces to display the technique that you have more than to develop it.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Of the C major etude, Chopin said to a student, "If you study this as I intended it, it widens the hand and enables you to play runs of wide broken chords like bow strokes...."

It surprises me if it is, because I've tended to doubt that he much conceived of the etudes as helping develop technique (as most people assume he did). I've viewed them more as compositional studies -- showing how you can create great music with etude figures -- and pieces to display the technique that you have more than to develop it.

I don't have time to look for the exact quote, but he did mention in one of his letters about "writing etudes in his manner" and of course he also started to write his method. And it seems he was kind of devoted as a teacher, so I would assume he has this aspect in mind when preparing these.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
The above quote about 10-1 is in Eisedinger's book, page 68. He got it from Niecks. It was supposedly told to Friederike Streicher by Chopin. So it is hearsay, as is most of what we know about his teaching.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

It is a fairly well-known quote that is attributed to one of Chopin's students. Of course, ANYONE could dispute it, Mark (as I've no doubt you will).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

I was joking this time.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Many students study some Chopin etudes at one point but many never play them at a professional speed. This kind of "alteration" makes redistributing a single note look like a single grain of sand on a beach yet I think most students still benefit from doing this kind of practice. This is why teachers assign the Chopin Etudes to pupils so frequently.

I think this is a good point, but Chopin etudes are musically lacking compared to say Liszt or Rachmaninoff etudes, which are excellent short performance pieces if you cut the "etude" off the title, whereas Chopin etudes are less serious music.

I've personally spent over 1 full year on op.10 no.4, and I'm hitting the 2 month mark for op.25 no.6 (at this point in my piano playing career 2 months is a lot on something this short), and I think that's part of the genius of the Chopin etudes; They might not be that musically compelling, but they sure as heck are fun to work on, even if they can be impossibly hard!

As for "cheating", I've seen people move notes over to the left hand in op.10 no.4, which I think completely defeats the purpose. The right hand has no challenge when you do that.

But for example in op.25 no.6, before the last page, that descending A major scale in thirds, I use the left hand to play the D-F#s because it doesn't make things that much easier, but it makes it sound smoother, and if you want to accuse me of making it easier, well I still have to play the harmonic G# minor descending scale with 1 hand, and that one is far far tougher.

Last edited by trigalg693; 02/01/13 09:30 AM.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission